Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Momonari posted:

A no-frills sampler. Something like the old Akai S-series or or E-Mu ESI samplers, not some loop-based production studio that is all the rage these days. Would prefer something without a sequencer. Rackmount would be nice. Looking for something with good filters and the ability to control parameters in realtime during a performance (either using a midi control surface or onboard controls). Also looking for a decent max memory amount (128mb or so) and the ability to load sample banks and patches from a HDD.

Only pick the S-series if you need it for "character" (which makes you end up at an S900 or so), or the E-mu E-series if you need Z-plane filters (which are just 7 nice bandpass filters that can be controlled in various ways).

I have an ESI-4000. They're cheap. They also refuse .wav files. Getting things to work depends on the SCSI deities' whim, and if you sacrifice enough dead chickens. The panel is a horror to work with unless it's right in front of you, because you'll have to bend over and learn the menu by heart. No Z-plane.

I also have a Yamaha A-4000. Even bigger than the ESI, but at least it's got a graphical display. The rotary buttons in front of it which are supposed to make things easier have a nasty habit of giving it up after half a year of intensive use. This is by design. There's a sample manager program called bZone which is dead in the water as far as development goes. The sampler accepts IDE drives and will make you wait for sample loading longer than that 40-year-old virgin had to wait to get laid.

I've worked with an Akai S2000. It does not make things sound better, and you have to load up the OS from floppy every single time. Floppy dead? Too bad, hope you made a backup. It too does not accepts wav files but Akai has a transfer program called MESA, which again involves a SCSI chain.

A sampler is nothing but a computer with limited, older hardware; the difference is all in the converters (that may or may not color the sound in a pleasant way) and the fact that it won't slurp CPU (only its own). If you insist on getting one, take an Akai Z4 - it will work with USB, it will accept .wav files, and it'll load pretty quickly off standard IDE drives, plus upgrading the memory will be more doable, and the display will be informative; or an S5000 with USB expansion.

If character (ideally, a sampler should reproduce what it's fed) is an issue for you, go the hardware route - I won't hold you back. If it's not, by all means, choose software. As I said; it's just a computer, but at least you're using one with a big screen where you have an overview, a mouse which is ideal to cut samples, a keyboard which is ideal to name 'm, and internal memory and a harddisk of gargantuan sizes. It's not surprising that some older samplers have VGA, PS/2 and COM ports on the back - for exactly those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WanderingKid posted:

A really commonly used ratio for lead instruments is 4:1 but I never understood why this was a rule of thumb. Like any dynamics processor you really need to turn those knobs and listen for a while to find out what sounds best. Having a nice compressor works pretty well, too.
Fixed, Joe Meek style. :v:

Did I ever mention already that I'm sometimes getting the idea that people are frightened by things like knobs? Like "only touch them once, don't you dare experimentin' "? Oddly enough, in most software it's just as bad. People are willing to shell out huge wads of money for a new plugin because just maybe it's got -that- sound while their old one hasn't even finished downloading yet.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Lumi posted:

I'm still a little confused about compressors. I read your post in the last thread, and from that, I gather that a compressor just pretty much reduces the dynamic range of a waveform. So how exactly does that help make a recording sound better?
It doesn't make it better; it makes it manageable. For instance, the human voice. Incredibly dynamic, but usually you want to have it done in such a way so that people can still hear everything. This means toning the loud parts down and the quiet parts up. The voice then has a much more constant volume so it'll be easier to hold its own compared to the rest. For vocals, the combination of preamp/EQ/compressor can "beautify" the vocals - epmhasising body, adding warmth or high end, and makes 'm larger than life (it can also completely screw 'm up :v: ).

Compressors can be very useful to make things fit in the mix easier.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

AtomicManiac posted:

A PC Upgrade, some more RAM and a Second External HDD

A Synth/MIDI Controller (Looking at the Microkorg)
Add to the list:

- monitor speakers
- a proper audio interface (aka fancy word for soundcard that's not a cheap gaming 7.1 piece of crap).

If you invest a bit in the latter and don't skimp on it you may even save yourself buying a mixer.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
If you can hit $500 a month you're going to need all of that for semi-decent monitors. I've heard people say that you can't get anything decent below the $1k mark. I will no doubt be corrected by people who are not talking out of their rear end like I'm doing ;).

Reserve another month for the audio interface. For that, you have 2 choices: external (via USB or Firewire) or internal (via PCI).

Perhaps this one?
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-focus.html

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RivensBitch posted:

I've had nothing but success with the 828mkII

I'm looking for something bigger than my E-mu 1212m and 01v via ADAT-combo and a buddy of mine recommended me the 828mkII, Firewire, combined with an ADA8000 (or should I get this - sorry, I'm not the fortunate $2K converter guy);

To what extent can these be stacked - e.g. if I ever wanted another 828 (just in case), can they play together nicely?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RivensBitch posted:

the motu drivers stack very nicely, your software will report all inputs as a single entity which is nice.
That's indeed very nice and pretty much what I was looking for. Goodness :).

quote:

As for the "fortunate $2k converter guy" comment, I paid for the thing out of my own pocket, and I'm not a millionaire, so how does that make me fortunate?
It was not a slight - it's just that my projects (I'm going to hook up synthesizers - at most 1 mic for vocals will come into play) in terms of size and my income simply don't allow me to spend a huge lot of cash on that, and most of my needs are line inputs, not preamps, and I think a good percentage of what one pays for a professional grade converter goes into that (and the other half in a reliable clock source :v: ). What I meant was that you'd be fortunate to have the thing because it's better and you can justify the spending on it because it makes more of a difference in your actual job, while for me it won't.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RivensBitch posted:

I still love the aphex lawsuit where they opened the behringer unit in court and printed on the circuitboard was "(C) APHEX TECHNOLOGIES". The chinese had copied the unit so well they even got all the labels down perfectly....

Holy poo poo, :laffo: - is there an overview of these lawsuits somewhere, by the way? I know the DDX3216 was sort of original as in "let some company develop it, then gank it and pay no royalties, cockblock any investigation" but I'd like to see more.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
MOTU recommends using a Firewire card with a Texas Instruments chipset. Does it have that?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Well, I hope I can get a bit more help here.

I bought this Neutrik patchbay thingy - NYS-SPP-L if that says anything, plus 12 balanced patch cables.

It has succeeded in making me feel awesomely stupid, because after 1 Behringer manual, 3 Burning Grooves articles and 2 Sound On Sound articles I still have no loving clue on how to hook this up. Synthesizers? Bring it on. This? God no :gonk:

All I want is to have functionality like in Ableton's effect racks; basically treating everything as an insert effect, and changing around the order, and using external inputs of synths, too.

I don't have any compressors because that'd probably be even more horrible, and I don't want to use anything as send because I don't have those funky Y-cables and I plan to plug this in an 8-input audio interface with no such thing as aux.

Please, end my misery :(

(Click thumbnail for big)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Shoop da Whoop posted:

I have no idea what the hell that flip over means
Every diagram I've seen until now shows me what should be put in the back.

I want to know what happens on the front, too, which is why I drew it like that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Slight recap: right now I have a Mackie 24 VLZ Pro going into a Yamaha 01V with ADAT going into an E-mu 1212m. This is a clumsy setup, the 24 VLZ is too big, the 01V is only a converter, and from what I've read not such a great one in terms of sound, and the 1212m is decent but the sum of all parts isn't that hot.

Earlier I was thinking about a new audio interface. I've got the shortlist down to:

- RME Multiface + some ADAT box
- MOTU 828 mkII Firewire + some ADAT box
- Mackie Onyx 1620

I have mainly synths to hook up - don't care about mic preamps that much. I want to use my hardware FX with my hardware - so I'm not too concerned about the Onyx's 2 outs - unless there's a reason to be concerned which I don't see yet. I really like the idea that the 1620 will just work as mixer, too - call it longevity reassurance :v:

Any ideas or am I simply approaching this the wrong way and is there a better solution?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

starbucks972 posted:

Could anyone with experience with both these recommend one over the other?

Ableton Live out of loving nowhere :haw:

Used Cubase, eventually came to hate it because just you try assigning a MIDI controller to a softsynth which doesn't have MIDI learn - you're quite simply hosed. The one concept which could've made it all really great doesn't have much support from Steiny itself (user panels).

Had a brief glance at Logic which did some things a lot easier and I was very impressed with the plugins it came with.

edit: re: my question above: I'm going with the Onyx because it's also a mixer at the end of the day :shobon:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

iluv posted:

like guitar
Guitars are pretty expressive and hard to sample properly unless you choose a genericized sound.

quote:

or breakbeats.
These are really easy to sample, but most breakbeat sample CDs I've heard just take small snippets from existing loops to avoid royalties and then cut 'm up.

Are these the only things you're missing?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/PremiumAcousticGuitar-main.html

You could try something like this - but you can hear what the problem is when playing it on something else; no two strings should be strummed at the same time (Kontakt has an option for this in the shape of a script, though).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Thanks to this thread

Shaggy06 posted:

The equipment I'm using at school is MAC based and apparently is a little outdated.
If it's OS 9 stuff it may very well be, yes. (also, it's Mac, not MAC. The latter deals with your network card)

quote:

JV1010's seem to be obsolete as well as some of the other things I'm using.
The 1010 is not obsolete, just a pain in the royal rear end to program.

Since software is already named in the starting post:

quote:

Midi rack modules with several channels
The Roland SonicCell is basically a modern 1010 with more sounds and a proper screen, plus USB so you can edit and set up things easily.

quote:

Mix Board
You will most likely not need this if you have a decent audio interface with enough inputs.

quote:

Anything else I would need to set up the mini studio on a PC
Start with getting some freebie VSTs from KVR Audio, see if you can get 'm to work. Does your keyboard have sliders or knobs?

quote:

my teacher is really no help because he's still advocating the equipment we're using in the studio at school.
There's no reason to jump on every technology bandwagon passing by, but there's huge benefits in keeping open eyes and minds.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Blaber66 posted:

My computer sounds a little weird(Things are a little higher pitched), so will that make my recordings high pitched too?

Try setting the sample rate from 48 kHz to 44,1 kHz.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Elder posted:

This is true, your limit is 2 gigs while you're running a 32-bit OS.
No, actually it's 4GB. XP will only see 3.5 of that, generally. There are tricks to expand this - see http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/77909774/m/119002205831 for instance. YMMV. I have 4GB installed and 3.5 is detected, but at least 3.5 is still more than 2, so it's OK with me.

It's not like my audio gear has any goddamn 64-bit drivers anyway :argh: (E-mu, Mackie)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Aenovae posted:

Let's say I wanted to make electronic music on my PC. I'm assuming I don't need any of these fancy audio interfaces, since I'm not recording any live instruments.
You still do because you're listening to fancy software synthesizers.

quote:

Is this correct? If I buy a MIDI keyboard or synthesizer, can I just plug it directly into my PC using firewire?
MIDI travels at the speed of a 33k6 modem; if such a keyboard has a FW connection it's because there's an audio interface built in.

quote:

Is the audio quality difference detectable only by audiophiles?

The batshit insane audiophiles have no place in the studio anyway since all their "sound stage" and "warmer" is Haass effects and nonlinear distortion. If they had to use golden cables woven by virgin Ukranian models at full moon in Tibet they'd charge 20 times what they'd do now.

quote:

A friend of mine thinks buying an audio interface and monitors is overkill for casual musicians.
He's full of poo poo, ignore.

Audio interfaces are cheap. Good monitors don't have to be expensive, either. Of course you're not going to buy a bunch of Apogees with a pair of ADAM S3A XBOX hueg midfields, but the financial distance from on-board AC97 to reasonably OK is small enough to make it worthwhile.

quote:

He also makes the point that most people will listen to my songs with crappy speakers or headphones, so there's little point in investing in expensive production hardware. How can I convince him otherwise?
The reason you get an audio interface: low latency and good D/A conversion (that's sound to the speakers)
The reason you get good monitors: if you move from lovely speakers to good ones it's like getting a new pair of ears for free. Even if those other folks have a lovely method of playback (be it laptop speakers, earbuds or mobile phones), reference monitors will make it sound reasonable on all of them instead of only good on laptop speakers.

Aenovae posted:

All the synthesizers I've found so far use USB, not FireWire!

And they only use the USB for transmitting MIDI, exceptions being an Access Virus TI or a Roland SH-201.

quote:

I would love to hear some feedback on these two synths (or recommendations on different ones) before I plunk down the cash.
Pick the one that feels the best to you in terms of keys and sounds (each mfg has its strengths). Essentially you're buying a sampler with a bunch of sounds stuffed in. The Juno-G can be expanded with more sounds, the TR can be upgraded with a sampler.

See if they're getting blown out after the NAMM, Roland's releasing the Fantom G which kicks the Fantom X down a notch, which kicks the Fantom S down a notch. If you can get the S with 61 keys for a nice price, jump on that like there's no tomorrow. If you can score a nice Fantom Xa secondhand, get that. They're a step above the (already good) Juno-G.

quote:

What about monitors? My computer speakers are $20 Logitech pieces of junk. For headphones I'm using Sennheiser's HD 280 Pro, which should be fine for now.
Save up again until you have a thousand bucks or so, then go shopping.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 19, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RizieN posted:

Maybe I'm just missing it, but is there a way to activate more than one audio channel at once?
What do you mean by "activate"? Record on it? Use Ctrl on your keyboard to select more than one track.

quote:

Also, is there maybe a way to not have a metronome or set the bpm/bars/beats in program, and just go by audio and it just loop however long the audio file is...
If you select an audio block, click the "Warp" button so warping is off and it just plays the sound at the actual tempo. Then, right-click and choose "Loop selection". Live will place markers at the end and start of the block.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RizieN posted:

Using ctrl, command/apple, alt and shift, none of them selected multiple tracks in live for me.
Now, I'm using it on Windows, but here's exactly what I do:

- click on the "Arm recording" button of the first track
- hold Ctrl (for OS X it's the Apple key)
- while holding, click on the "Arm recording" button of the second track.

Page 171 in my Live 6 manual :)

Just make sure every track is recording from a different external input; to get those going, you have to go to Options > Preferences.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Handen posted:

Generally, what's faster: USB, Firewire, PCI or other?
A PCI card with a proprietary cable can squeeze out a little bit more out of a standard. Speed also depends on the system : Firewire is peer to peer, USB is master/slave.

quote:

Let's say I have $5000

That's nice. You've already got your computer up and running for the job?

If you have to ask, keep the cash in your pocket :v: Also, this thing's old.

Anyway, the idea is that you plop that in your computer, and then you get a Multiface (which is a break-outbox with mic preamps, line inputs and outputs and ADAT) and hook it up to that. There's no other way to get a Multiface to work.

quote:

and want DAW software
Latency is not the holy grail here.

quote:

pre-amps, a mixer and a control surface, all hooked up to have the least latency, what would be recommended?
How many of the preamps and inputs do you need?

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 12, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Peacebone posted:

My question is will my license of Ableton be valid if I install it on a Mac or would I have to buy a whole new license.
Ableton allows you to have 2 installs, provided that you don't use them at the same time. For instance, one for the laptop on the road, one for the desktop in the studio.

quote:

The same question goes for if I purchase Cubase 4 soon install it on a PC and get a Mac later.
Cubase as you know comes with a dongle, and the license exists only on a single dongle. I believe (but am not sure) that you can just install Cubase on the other computer and plug in the dongle where you're working at the moment.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ThaNinjaMonkey posted:

My question is should I dump it track by track through 1/4" to 1/4" Stereo Master Outs into the 2 ins on the Fast Track, or should I use my S/PDIF ins and outs on my keyboard and interface?

1/4" means you convert from D to A in the Fantom and back from A to D again in the Fast Track. S/PDIF means you pipe 2 tracks directly from digital to digital, so I'd do that.

However, I believe the Fantom allows you to do Skip Back Sampling - maybe you can dump the tracks as separate .wav files on the memory card, then open those up on the computer again? That way you can still do interesting stuff without it having to take ages.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Most audio interfaces have a pair of MIDI inputs (1 in, 1 out) built-in. All you have to do with your pedal board is to connect its MIDI out to the USB interface's MIDI in (signals go OUT of the board IN to the computer) - I'm just saying this since most people connect the IN with the IN (hey, same label, right? :v: )

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What do you need the big mixer for if your audio interface has 8 inputs? Invest that money in your speakers.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Infinite Postma posted:

as well as actually outputting the audio from it into my computer?

Yes, but not with a single cable - you need MIDI in + out and audio out. Also, you can only record the audio with Live - Reason doesn't do that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
You've found these already? Voxengo has also Boogex, but I'm personally more a fan of Guitar Rig.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Da Monk posted:

I use Dell XPC 1530. Is the sound card not good enough for using Ableton 7?

All on-board soundcards and Fraudigies and X-fails - there are no exceptions - suck for making music. Get yourself a nice USB or Firewire soundcard (shop at a music store, not at Newegg or something) and the stuttering will be over; as a stopgap measure (not actually recommended), use ASIO4ALL. This does not solve the biggest issue which is that the A/D converters suck and that the inputs can't deal with guitars, microphones, or more than 2 instruments at a time.

infiniteseal posted:

Does anyone know about getting the RPG-8 in Reason 4 to work? I've been trying for days but I can't get this thing to work.
From the back, the RPG's Gate CV and Note CV out should both go into the synth's Sequencer Control - Gate and CV ins at the very minimum. Also, in your sequencer, the newly created track Arp 1 should be active. Also, when the Pattern light is lit, some of the steps have to be lit otherwise you won't hear anything. Is the RPG switched on, and if so, does the MIDI IN light blink?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

infiniteseal posted:

My setup is ProTools as my sequencer, using an O2 keyboard to trigger. When I play the keyboard, Thor (or whatever other prog) will sound, it's just that the RPG-8 never goes.

:siren: Solution found, try this:

When I rewire Reason in Ableton Live, it offers me a list of MIDI outputs in the dropdown. Here it looks like this:

Ableton happily pipes the entire MIDI stream to anything in Reason with an orifice. PT apparently won't, so you have to explicitly select the RPG.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

porcellus posted:

Does an integrated soundcard have anything to do with making music?
When what you do is purely software-based and all of it happens inside of the computer and you have a digital output which you send to a decent amplifier where you put your headphones in -

then no.

Soundcards give the following advantages:

- less interference if they're external
- higher quality ADCs/DACs than the bog-standard poo poo
- useful connectors - preamps can be included, separate mono inputs (instead of one tiny gold-plated stereo mini jack)
- USB and Firewire means it's usable on a laptop, too
- useful extras like MIDI, ADAT and/or S/PDIF
- low-latency drivers.

The latter is not comparable to say, 3d accelerator cards where you go from an on-board Intel to a big-rear end NVidia and suddenly get a framerate that's a dozen times better. What happens usually is that with regular drivers, there are layers of software that the audio has to go through. ASIO and Core Audio cut through this crap and allow direct access to the soundcard, and that already reduces latency to something as low as 4 ms.

quote:

I'm buying an IBM thinkpad later on this month, I already have a Presonus Audiobox, and I'm just confused on what qualities and areas of a computer relies on most for sound production and latency.
Generally, your CPU, RAM and samplerate (higher rates with a buffer that's just as big means a lot more work for the CPU but lower latency). What you do when you get that laptop is simply test at which point it's going to stutter, increase the buffer size a bit and live with that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I have the 1620 too and getting it to show up in Live is tricky. Switching off/on, disconnecting - if it.. takes.. a.. really.. long.. time.. to switch from my 1212m to the Mackie, it won't work. So, back to switching on/off, disconnecting again until I discover the magic trick for that day. Also, whatever you do, don't get the Satellite.

That's what pisses me off. When it works, it's good. When it doesn't, it sucks, and the 1.0 driver crap pisses me off too.

Perhaps I should've gotten the 828mkII or an RME (at that time) :(. I don't have that many synths left to plug in anyway, but I got this with the idea that even if Firewire ever dies, I'd still have a drat good regular analog mixer.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Davio posted:

I have an M-Audio 1010LT card.

What are my options with regard to breakout boxes? I'm looking for something with at least eight quarter-inch inputs and 1-2 XLR.
An ADAT converter? Or replace it completely, the 1010LT is not the youngest anymore.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

xfrancox posted:

This is probably a really obvious problem, but I'll ask anyway. What is the best method to deleting/uninstalling plug ins on a mac?
I'm clueless about OS X but I found you this.

quote:

Also brings up another question, which plug ins do you guys swear by. I'm interested in anything.

I've got Native Instruments Komplete. In this order:

Guitar Rig : works pretty drat great when you just use it as effect for other stuff, too.
Kontakt (sampler) : Large library. Requires careful use, I've had it crash on me several times. Easier when you use it multitimbrally, but this fucks with the ability to render tracks.
Battery (drums) : great, really easy to work with
Massive : loving awesome
Absynth : loving awesome, but editing is not as easy
FM8 : really really great, but editing is rocket surgery
Pro-53 : fairly meh, but it's old. Comes with a nice long usable list of presets, but PolyIblit and Synth1 will do the job just as well.

I've also got D16's Phoscyon and Devastor. Phoscyon is of course a one trick pony (303 emu) but Devastor is pretty amazing as far as software distortion goes.

I've tried Morphine and it's pretty drat spectacular in terms of resynthesis, but I've got that range of sounds covered with FM8.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What do your Windows mixer settings look like? Alternatively, record from the keyboard's headphone output instead of the line outs.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Oli posted:

Would this be the best action to take for a recording/sequencer beginner like me?

Add a nice low-latency audio interface if you didn't have one yet and you're set :).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Here's another stigma:

:(

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
MIDI does not tell you at all what kind of keyboard you have hooked up.

USB controllers do, because the USB protocol says more about the device that's being hooked up, but MIDI doesn't. So, the only thing your computer knows is that you have an UX16.

Have you connected the UX's MIDI out with the PSR's MIDI in and vice-versa? - mnemonic: MIDI information goes OUT of the computer IN to the keyboard.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
A "To Host" cable is the predecessor of the USB MIDI cable, and it doesn't carry sound.

If you want to record that, connect your keyboard's stereo outputs to your soundcard's inputs. If you have a regular on-board card, you could try this combination:

and two of these (RCA female to jack)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RivensBitch posted:

That's the most amazing thing about live, is it really is the best of both worlds.

I find the most amazing thing about Live is that I can say to myself "hm, I've got an idea. I think it should work like this." and it does, without even opening the manual.

That said, I still have no idea how to use the Session view, I find the Arrangement view a lot more useful for how I work :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ReDiNmYhEaD posted:

How does one create a crossfade in Cubase 4? I get you have to overlap audio, but I don't understand how to make two audio pieces overlap.
Make 2 audio tracks. Automate the volume of the tracks you want to fade.

Bounce down to a single one if you feel like it, but why not use 2?