Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keefaz
Jun 24, 2005

It seems I accidentally posted this in the old thread:

What can people tell me about compression? I'm really just messing about here, but I'm running my guitar through a Line6 Pod, directly into an Audigy and recording with Cool Edit Pro. One problem I noticed this evening was a very nice clean part I put down sounded really lovely when I played it back as quiet notes seemed to drop out so some of the nuances got lost against the backing. Am I right in thinking that I need to use a compressor/expander he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keefaz
Jun 24, 2005

Crystal Pepsi posted:

You can try this, and it will work to some extent, but keep in mind that a compressor will also make the background noises louder as well as your instrumentation. Best bet might just be to play louder, but try compression and see how well it works.

Unless by 'backing' you mean the other parts of the song, in which case compression should work like a charm.

Sorry, by backing I did mean the other parts of the song. What's the best way to set up the compressor, then? Do I have to find out where the threshold is when the guitar becomes swamped by the rest of the mix, or do I have to reduce the 'peaks' until everything is more-or-less level and then increase the overall volume of the track?

Keefaz fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 1, 2007

Keefaz
Jun 24, 2005

WanderingKid posted:

I posted a pretty lengthy reply in the old thread in answer to this question.

In adition to that post: if you are compressing it hard enough with a high ratio be aware that the compressor only compresses sound that peaks above the threshold.

[CHOMP!]

Thanks for that reply in the other thread, I just read it eariler this evening it really helped get my head around it. The more I looked at the wave and listened, the more it became obvious that I had some peaks that were forcing me to keep the track volume down. I used a built-in preset that compressed at -6db with a quicker attack and that really help to level it out. Thanks, man.

Keefaz
Jun 24, 2005

Another great explanation. I hereby nominate WanderingKid as ML God of Compression.

Keefaz
Jun 24, 2005

Nice one, guys. This is the kind of competitive teaching I'd like to see more often in schools.

Keefaz
Jun 24, 2005

What are folks' opinions on the ART Tube MP Studio preamp? A fella at work is offloading one for £40/$80.

Keefaz
Jun 24, 2005

Hmmm... I see if I can get him to lower his price. I'm hoping it will help my acoustic guitar tone. I already spent this month's music allowance last week on a Studio Project B3 mic, but it's running through the dreaded Behringer preamp I stole when my band broke up. Maybe it's better to save and look for something a bit classier, but I'm an eager idiot with stuff like this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keefaz
Jun 24, 2005

Well, the latest SA Rockstar has provided me with more proof--if any were needed--that I don't have a fricken clue what I'm doing. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good home recording websites? I'm not concerned so much about mic placement etc. than I am about how to mix. I can get a good guitar sound, but I poo poo everything up when I have more than 2 tracks.