Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I've been looking at some recording equipment to get back into it, and boy does it make me feel dumb :(

First, I'm looking for some basic gear to get started. What I want to do is record a bunch of different sources (electric/accoustic guitar, vocals, bass, drums, cello, not all at the same time, but in various combinations), and record them into various software. I figured the first thing I should look into is some sort of mixer board/new sound card. I was looking through the options available, and I don't like the idea of buying a new soundcard + some sort of mixer, so when I found the firewire/usb boards I thought "genius!" Is there anything wrong with the Alesis boards? (something like http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-12USB-Mixer-?sku=630167X). It seems like one of these + some decent mics (probably Shure because I like the 'easy answer') would get me started. Is there any big issues with the USB devices now? The net seems to think so, but it sounds like USB 1.0/1.1 issues. Do newer devices still not work as well? I just have some stupid issues with firewire on my box and would rather go with USB is its acceptable, but if the quality ends up being junk I'll need to try something else. Also, about these - does it send all the different inputs to different tracks on the software? For instance, can I plug a vocal mic in and a guitar, and have them record to two different tracks in the software at the same time? That'd be rad.

About mics, should I look at a condensor mic as well? Seems like one might be good for micing the cello or maybe the drums. Unless I'm mistaken, they pick up sound from all directions in much bigger quantities, right?

Also, I was thinking about getting back into playing with FruityLoops, and thought a cheap midi keyboard would be :coal:. I'm not a pianist, and don't really want to be, so a cheap non-weighted keyboard seems fine to me - I just hate operating the piano roll and such by mouse. Is something like http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Keystation-49e-USB-MIDI-Controller-Keyboard?sku=703605V appropriate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Swivel Master posted:

edit: This one is really cheap but I don't know anything about its quality. Handle with caution.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/io26/

How about something like this? Seems too good to be true - should it be avoided like the plague? It seems like it will allow you to record multiple sources at once, and I presume send them as seperate tracks to the computer - is this correct? That would be perfect, I think, if the device works as advertised. The fact it has lots of effects and such makes me hesitate.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 18, 2007

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I went ahead and ordered that Alesis Multimix - Hopefully I didn't waste a bunch of money!