Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hello, I'm a big dumb dumb that doesn't know much about anything, and was hoping you could help me out?

I've got:
A Bass Guitar
A Korg Electribe ESX (it's got a guitar jack port ((sorry, 1/4")), and midi in and out).
A Laptop with Waveform on it
A Monitor speaker with like a guitar jack. (1/4)

What I want to do is hook them all up, so that the guitar and Electribe are going in to waveform, and then ideally out to the speaker. (Although to be fair if this is a pain, I do have some headphones I could just use instead).

It looks like I need a Scarlet 2i2 maybe? I don't really know enough about what I'm doing to know how many inputs / outputs I need. At some point, I want my friend to be able to connect his mic / guitar up, too, but not necessarily at the same time as me.

Anyone knowledgable enough know what the hell I'm talking about (because I'm really not sure) and what I'd need to achieve it?

Essentially the goal is just to capture bass / guitar / vox / drummachine in Waveform (or equivalent!) and then muck about with it.

Thanks for any and all advice. If anyone knows any good tutorial places for utter utter noobs, that would be great too! Thanks.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm going to suggest the 4i4 instead. It has din midi ports, so you can control from and keep the electribe in sync with your project on the computer. It has extra line inputs on the back, so you can keep the electribe plugged in in stereo. It looks like both or either of the preamps on the front can be switched to hi-z (direct in guitar/bass) mode, for any (2) combo of guitar/bass and/or microphone. It's likely you can instruct Waveform to output in mono to use with your single monitor speaker and then switch that back off when using headphones.

The Behringer u-phoria umc404hd offers pretty much the same features and isn't bad either, from what I've heard.

You can look for these second hand, though I'd avoid gen 1 Scarletts.

Phenomenal, thank you so much! I'll check out the Behringer too. This is exactly the sort of forward planning I feel unequipped for, that feels like I'll be massively glad of down the line! You're a star!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Turns out I'm really fuckin' bad at this, anyone got any good vids on how to make stuff with Ableton that doesn't sound like utter garbage?

Like I know how to record my bass into it, but it sounds kinda poor and my timing isn't very good (Even with the metronome), and then it seems to be in a slightly different timing when I record another sample? As in, I record over the top and it sounds good, but then I play it back after recording and it's quite obviously out of sync. I wanna just play something, have Ableton sync it, and then loop it, but I can't work it out. I'm sure its really easy, but I am defeated.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JeffLeonard posted:

My best guess: it sounds like you have "auto-warping" of your samples turned on. Turn that off in the options. Autowarping tries to stretch/compress an audio sample (i.e. your bass playing) to match the song tempo you selected.

Oh, well, I feel like I want that 'on' and it's not doing it, but, maybe I have it on and it's doing it wrong? But that's exactly what I want... I think?

Flipperwaldt posted:

Interested in a description of the signal path between the bass and the computer, what audio interface in particular. Also a screenshot of Ableton Live's Preferences > Audio settings.

Going from the bass via a standard jack into a Scarlett 4i4 (3rd gen). Sorry I'm not near my rig right now but I'll take a ss of the settings when I can. It's gonna be something mad stupid, I bet.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Flipperwaldt posted:

What I want to know mostly is if you're on Windows, whether you installed the asio driver for the Scarlett and if you explicitly configured Live to use it. Maybe you're familiar with all that and you know you did and in that case the problem isn't what I think it is.

On windows, yes, only installed the suggested driver (and update it) and, yeah, explicitly configured ableton to use it with the guide that Scarlett give

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Flipperwaldt posted:

What I want to know mostly is if you're on Windows, whether you installed the asio driver for the Scarlett and if you explicitly configured Live to use it. Maybe you're familiar with all that and you know you did and in that case the problem isn't what I think it is.

So, I think I've hosed something up, because I just have massive delay. That's all it is, there's a huge delay between me playing something and ableton picking it up through my scarlet. I'll get all my specs together tomorrow, but, it's a pretty powerful razer gaming laptop and a scarlet interface, I'd have thought it 'shouldnt' have big delay, but I can't seem to find a good sweet spot for buffer size etc. That works.