Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone use Cubasis in iOS? I picked it up earlier this year when it was on sale and finally got around to testing out this weekend. Seemed pretty sweet to hook up my audio interface and sketch out some stuff in Cubasis, and then send it over to my computer to fiddle with in Cubase.

If anyone is using it, any recommendations for whether any of the effect packs or other plugins for sale within the app are worth it? Or any iOS plugin effects that would be worth getting in order to use in Cubasis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Maybe try one of the basic AT condensers? Like the 2020 or 2035?

I have a 2035 for some vocal stuff, just messing around at home, and it sounds pretty good to me. I picked up one from Amazon Warehouse that had damaged packaging but was otherwise new, and I think it was around $130. There looks to be one for around that price on the Warehouse now, and AT2020s for less.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Cru Jones posted:

Question, I have an interface that I like to mess around for electric guitar stuff but was recently going to play around with some acoustic. I have a crappy shotgun mic I use for some video stuff and also a zoom h4n but thought it would be nice to simplify and plug something right into the interface.

Is SM57 the best all around bet? Any cheap SM57 knockoffs that get recommended?

I mean for 100 bucks it's not the end of the world to get the real deal, but this is just going to sit on my desk so durability is not a huge point of concern.

Any other cool suggestions in terms of other versatile mics in that range?

When I was looking for something similar about a year ago, I ended up getting an AT2035, which has been quite nice for recording acoustic guitar. I got one from Amazon Warehouse that was "like new" which seemed completely new except for the box being scuffed. I think the Warehouse AT2035 was a little over $100. They also had the AT2020 for comfortably under $100. I haven't tried the 2020 but definitely have been happy with the 2035.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

57 clone that I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Handheld-Moving-Microphone-Built/dp/B005BSOVRY

Go in, pop out the XLR, desolder the jumper between the cold and ground lines, throw out the cable and use a real one, and you have a balanced mic that's passed blind a/b's with a real 57. I think it's one of the best deals out there in microphone land.

Do you have a video or guide or something you can link to show this step by step? I'm realizing I have one of those Pyle mics here at home and haven't gotten around to using it yet, but what you're describing (if I'm understanding it right) sounds pretty easy.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't have any spares to mod but i can maybe remember to do a quick pop-open of it this week to show you which ones to desolder, sure

Is this the process?

https://youtu.be/vYR4aHqzoRM

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Not sure who all this would be of interest to beyond NonzeroCircle, but Steinberg released a video of new features in Cubase 12, with more detail on their site, and it looks pretty great:

https://youtu.be/YQ1076DgzzU

https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/new-features/

Audio to chords? MIDI remote integration? VariAudio with Scale Assistant?

This all sounds tremendous.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

Interesting!
Whilst it would free up a USB port I'm not sure how I feel about losing the dongle, depends what they wanna replace it with, I hope it's not gonna be always online or something.

I think they've said it's going to be an online activation when you first boot up (which I presume will be something like Ableton where it goes to the website once when you start it up), but also that it won't be always online, but will just check in every 30 days or something. If it's just that, and then periodic internet outages, or not having your laptop on WiFi, won't mess it up, that sounds fine. The dongle doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't mind getting the port back and not having to remember to move it from a desktop to laptop and back.

All that other stuff looks pretty great, and enough of it seems to be Artist that I'm not feeling the pressure to upgrade to Pro yet. Maybe someday -- probably would be a better use of music funds than buying more hardware.

EDIT: Well, after a few false starts when I assume their servers were overloaded I was able to get my Artist 11 license upgrade to Artist 12 since it had been within the grace period, and now the Artist 12 license is listed in my Activation Manager. Downloaded it and it seems to work fine, and the new features so far seem pretty cool. The new MIDI learn functions are great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElAvIx-XSdY

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 3, 2022

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

lmbo calrissian posted:

Does anyone have a link to a resource that compares USB audio interfaces that isnt completely useless to someone who doesnt understand technical audio language?

I'm a first time buyer and just want something for ableton and recording guitar/keyboard, no extra inputs needed and im not sure how I'd be able to pick between anything unless I really just need a scarlett thing

The ones Nitsuga linked above were the first that came to mind in response to your question. I have the Steinberg UR44, which I'm happy with, but it's the only interface I've used so don't have anything to compare it to. I'll note that I bought it in part because it came with Cubase and I wanted to use that DAW, so if you're set with Ableton that might not be a factor for you. So far as I can tell, the MOTU M2 and Universal Audio Volts are also well regarded (but again, no first hand experience with that).

The Sweetwater webpage of USB interfaces might be a good place to start because it has a compare function, so you can at least compare basic features across models. Other than that, if you're close to picking one, you might just want to google for reviews and in particular see what people say about the drivers. I've always been happy with the drivers with the UR44, and I feel like when I was shopping for my interface, I'd sometimes read reviews or Reddit threads where people complained about the drivers of other interfaces, so hearing something had solid drivers was something I was on the lookout for.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

lmbo calrissian posted:

Dumb question but is the number of mic preamps the same as the number of inputs

Not always -- some interfaces will have preamps only on some of their inputs.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

lmbo calrissian posted:

Got it. and last dumb question. If i already have a behringer mixer with pre amps, I could buy an interface with just one input and miss out on absolutely nothing right?

Pretty sure yes, that should be fine -- using the pre-amps on the mixer and running the mixer into the input on the interface should replicate having an interface with more inputs.

I wouldn't imagine that an interface being USB-C would automatically give it much better latency performance than a USB-B interface -- the latter should still be fine, I think. Maybe it's more driver dependent than any difference between -C and -B, but I'm just speculating here. Maybe someone with hands on experience can weigh in.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I’m hovering over the buy button for the Scarlett 2x2 3rd Gen Focusrite, but I’ve got one question.

I might want to add a midi keyboard at some point. Does having those inputs (not sure what the cable is called) on the back matter? Some in a similar price range have those inputs. No clue if that’s important for possible expansion, or if a midi keyboard would hook in separately.

God, I need a better hub for my MacBook Pro. Two lightning ports does fuckall.

Edit : Comparing with a UA Volt 2x2

The UA Volt has actual MIDI in and out, so if you want to run a MIDI cable from a keyboard to the interface you're going to want the Volt over the Scarlett you're looking at.

Note that a lot of MIDI keyboards will also do MIDI out over USB and you might just run that directly into your computer rather than through MIDI DIN. But if you want the capability to run regular MIDI DIN into your setup, the Scarlett 2i2 doesn't seem to allow for that, but the UA does. Other options you might want to look at are the Steinberg UR22 and the Presonus Studio 24C. Those seem like they're similarly featured and in the price range you're looking at. My only personal experience is with the UR44, which has been very solid for me (but on Windows PCs, if that makes a difference).

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question -

I've realized that my old studio Sennheiser headphones for recording bit the dust a while back. While I have a billion sets of wireless bluetooth earbuds and headsets, I don't have anything appropriate to plug into the back of my 2x2.

What's the recommendation for a cheap set? Keep in mind, I'm just dicking around, not trying to master albums or anything. Cheap is good, but I'll pay a little more to get into midrange territory if it's worth it.

Side Note - Should they be 1/8th inch? Or will an adapter work just fine?

Not sure what price range you're thinking of as cheap, but Sony MDR7506's are around $80, and have always sounded really good to me for the price. They come with a plug that is 1/8" but has a screw on adapter for 1/4", so you can easily use them for either. The only thing I don't love about them is the cable is integrated, so couldn't easily be replaced if it got damages, but otherwise they seem very sturdy, sound good, and have been pretty solid for an $80 outlay.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

OutOfPrint posted:

Short version, I'm looking for a replacement. Here's what I'm looking for:

Min 2 inputs, 1/4" and XLR
Stable at 96kHz recording and playback
Monitor and headphone outs
Runs on Win11
Usable for general audio playback purposes--gaming with headphones, watching videos, etc.
<$100

Any recommendations outside of Focusrite? I'm pretty burned on them at this point.

Agreed with prior poster that $100 might be a tough price point, unless you're willing to look at used gear.

I have a Steinberg UR44 that has always been solid for me in Windows (including Win 11), and the UR22 seems like it meets most of your specs. The Yamaha drivers have always been fine for me.

But new UR22s are like $160 I think. Used ones can be had at or under $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Sure, I can do that! I'll post the split tracks I'm working with too, so y'all can see what I'm working with.

The song is Motownphilly by Boyz II Men.

I have no substantive assistance to offer, but just want to say that a marching band version of Motownphilly sounds incredibly awesome. Best of luck with the project