Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006
Bay area goons, Craigslist works. Have faith.

I came into a PowerMac G4(the 'runway sounding' mirror doored variety) and while I've been working with the Macs for awhile, I've never personally tuned OSX for Audio applications.

I'm looking for any pointers/suggestions/software recommendations for settings the OS for recording.

The system is:
-G4 1.25(dual)
~700mbs of ramm(I haven't looked at the actual configuation, and its boxed in my car currently)
-A dedicated system and a dedicated audio drive(both spinning at 7200)
-Osx 10.3.9
-PT 6.4

If you need more details, lemme know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006
How does one go about getting osx(10.3) into recognizing a Roland TD-8 Vdrum as a controller interface(using the vdrum pads to trigger)?

The midi interface is part of a digi001.

ReDiNmYhEaD fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 15, 2007

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006
I've used PTLE(v6.x) on both Mac and PC laptops. My recommendation would be to use an external drive for your sessions; running the OS & DAW & Session data from the same drive, and then trying to record something onto it usually causes a headache for me.

I went with a handy dandy firewire drive to store my session data.

Ramm is definently the key, and 4 gig should be fine n' dandy, IMHO.

edit.
Although looking at the most recent version of ProTools, it doesn't look like they have Vista support yet(if you're buying a new laptop from dell). It was my understanding that WinXP would only register up to 2 gigs of ramm. Although the rumblings for protools is that a Vista release will be available in the winter.

ReDiNmYhEaD fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 19, 2007

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006

Peacebone posted:

I got a question about using Reason. I'm using Reason 4 and the PadKontrol and the audiodriver I'm using is running from my Firepod. I can hear sounds using the padkontrol, but it's not recording anything from it. Does anyone know why that might be? With my CME Midi keyboard plugged in I can record stuff, but not the padkontrol. In the prefrences I have it so it recognizes the padkontrol.

Are you sure you've record enabled the track/device that your padKontrol is triggering?

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006

So Nasty posted:

Mac Pro,

Anyone any ideas?

On the old rig, what version of OSX was running? What version is now running on your Mac Pro? Are the drivers you're using for the Motu unit compatible with the OS?

I'm speaking ahead of my brain: Which version of the 424 card are you using?

Motu indicates that there are two different builds here.

Further edit: Cool mixer, but check out the manual available here. Page 124. There is a lot of information about making sure that your inputs are correctly bussed to the Adat outputs, and not one of the other plethora of I/O available.

ReDiNmYhEaD fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 18, 2007

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006

Elder posted:

Also, how much would be appropriate?

He's onsite installation, and is likely aware its a pretty thankless job. I might recommend a case of good beer. Nothing as impersonal as money, and the encouragment to relax would likely be received well.

But I would give it to him at the end of the appointment, tips after service and all.

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006

RivensBitch posted:

My friend, the owner of the studio? He's going to close the studio, mix at home in his spare time, and find a job working on high end sports cars.

This discourages me greatly, coupled with the fact I too live in the SFO Bay Area...

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006
In ProTools 6.4, concerning Midi.

When Reason(3.0) is in rewire mode, does it adhere to the Reason settings for control surfaces, or will it defacto to whatever Pro Tools is talking to?

For all practicality, a Keystation 61 by midiman connected via USB.

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006

mercilor posted:

Any guidance for someone who's new to decent recording setups?

Of your choices, I'd feel number 2 is ideal. In the case where your just using it at home, you can leave your interface stationary and have the flexibility of moving the control surface where its ideal, although it does take up more room.

Plus in the situation where you need to go mobile, you can leave the command8 at home and have your handy dandy rack for the road.

If you want to stick with Pro Tools, and thats really the primary question you want to find out.

And in the case of the 002, I think it'll be somewhere in Pro Tools 8 where they drop support for the hardware, but that just my guess.

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006
I'm deficient when it comes to understanding the flow Cubase.

How does one create a crossfade in Cubase 4? I get you have to overlap audio, but I don't understand how to make two audio pieces overlap.

From there you can open a fade editor and tune the crossfade, but I have a group of drums with two sections being merged and I can't figure out the crossfade.

Man I feel dense...

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006

Yoozer posted:

Make 2 audio tracks. Automate the volume of the tracks you want to fade.

Bounce down to a single one if you feel like it, but why not use 2?

This seems like a lot of work, especially with putting together composite drum tracks.

But thanks, Yoozer.

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006

mike- posted:

To crossfade in Cubase you just overlap the audio on a track and press X. To overlap the audio you just click and drag a segment over another one. If this isn't as simple as it seems for you, you must have some option set to dissalow this or something because it is supposed to be that easy.
If you want to edit the fade you just click it to open the fade editor.

Creating two tracks is way way way too much work.

mike,

I'm trimming drum takes to composite a track together. There are 9 audio tracks for the drum takes. I have trimmed the audio to an ideal clean hit. I have the audio pieces butted up to each other. Since the audio isn't overlapping I just want the volume to be at zero when the clips transition.

If the audio isn't overlapping how do I get rid of the clip I hear when the audio transitions between the two clips?

ReDiNmYhEaD fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006

Gunga-Din posted:

If there is always going to be a 10ms lag will I always have to bum my recordings so that they will sync? Is there a way to automate this? I'm pretty that I used to be able to lay down tracks like this in Protools LE like five years ago with no problem on a less powerful system with the same mbox.

I didn't see it mentioned, but on the mbox1 the 2nd knob from the bottom on the interface is a balance of your mic inputs and the playback from the system. Is this knob cranked to the playback side?

Usually when I track with an mbox(especially with drums) I'll listen to the input side in realtime as it syncs realtime with the click. Then on playback go to the playback end to listen to the take.

Or is the input side where you're hearing the latency?

ReDiNmYhEaD fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 10, 2009