Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I've been lurking ML for a while, and I have some questions that are really burning a hole in me. I'm hoping I can stop by a recording studio in town before I go and try to build anything myself, but before I even schedule that, I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me.

I'm trying to figure out how you set up a recording studio in your own house, and this is what I have pieced together so far. What I kindly request is that you tell me if I need to add something to it, or if it does not make any sense and would not work.

At home I would be recording electric guitar, cello, electric bass, and eventually mic'ing a drum set, so I figured I needed something that I could record multiple channels on. I am not in a band, but I have been playing instruments since I was 8. I just don't know anything about the recording process since I have never been in that type of environment.

I have been reading and comparing reviews, and it seems that Mackie mixers, though sometimes considered overpriced, are reliable. So I picked out this mixer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-Onyx-1220-12Channel-Mixer?sku=634267

So we have a mixer, now I need something to connect this mixer to. I thought a Delta 1010 seemed simple enough:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOD1010E

So I have a mixer that is plugged into an audio interface that is connected to my PC via PCI.

Is that how things work? If I use some recording software, such as Cubase SX3, what happens when I move the faders on the mixer? Does it register in the software, or show nothing… or would I use a different program to record with? Furthermore, do I really need a MIDI set up if I'm going to do all the writing on the guitar/cello/bass?

The way I understand things, I plug the mics from the mic’ed amps directly into the mixer, which feeds into the audio interface, which in turn is connected to my computer. I then run some outputs from the audio interface back into the mixer?

Any help with any of the questions would be so appreciated, since I just need a little bit of clarification before I can start making sense of all of this. I thank you in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Cool Wixard, I appreciate your advice. So pretend you are me, and looking to build a personal studio where you are only recording 2-4 tracks at a time, and you can do the mixing in the software. What setup would you use?

But if you want to make a solution incorporating a mixer, I think that would be fun too...I thought using a mixer board sounded kinda fun, but in the end, I guess affordability/practicality wins.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Thanks a lot for your advice; while I have been reading and re-reading this thread a lot, it is still kind of hard to get a strong understanding on this stuff without asking for it, so I really appreciate it.

I will check out some stuff over the next few days and show you what I find.

Thanks again!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Ok, so I think I might understand this a bit better now;

I was looking at http://www.mackie.com/products/400f/index.html

This is an audio interface that uses firewire to connect up to the PC. It has 4 mic preamps, meaning I can have 4 mics set up at a time, it also has 4 inputs, so I could hook up 4 instruments to it. So it sounds like it could be considered overkill for 1 person, but it offers the flexability to have multiple performers. It is also suitable to mic some drums, correct?

It comes packaged with recording software, so once you set it up and have everything installed, you'd be ready to record, right?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I've been reading a big forum-review for the 400f here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097071

It was a pretty interesting read, and I think this is probably what I am going to get. Just need to save up for a month or so first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

TedStorm posted:

any ideas?

Try going into your device manager and disabling your sound card. Then reinstall your firepod. I was having some synching problems when I installed mine the other day, so I disabled my audigy4, installed my firepod, got the solid blue light, then I reenabled my sound card, went into the Cubase asio inputs/outputs control center, and unchecked the sound card from that, making sure only the firepod's inputs/outputs were selected.

After that I have had no problems. I should add in that I am a beginner so I could be completley wrong about why it started working.