Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
This is mostly for WanderingKid, but anyone who knows can also answer; I'm just asking him because it seems like he has a lot of compressor knowledge.

I'm still a little confused about compressors. I read your post in the last thread, and from that, I gather that a compressor just pretty much reduces the dynamic range of a waveform. So how exactly does that help make a recording sound better? For example, if I record vocals and guitar, how would I use a compressor to make them sound better, and why exactly would it sound better with compression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.

Keefaz posted:

Another great explanation. I hereby nominate WanderingKid as ML God of Compression.

Second. Thanks for the explanation, that was awesome.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
I was wondering what exactly is the proper care and procedure for using condenser mics. As far as I know:
1) don't drop the mic/expose it to sudden shock
2) put the mic back when not in use
3) turn off phantom power and turn down gain/sensitivity before plugging in mic, then turn the phantom power on and turn the gain up after
4) what else?

I know this seems like an amateur and silly question, but I think I fudged up my last condenser mic by not doing 3 all the time. There's a sale tomorrow for an AT2020 so I think I'm gonna pick one of those up, but I don't want to screw it up again, so I'm hoping you guys can tell me in thorough detail what I should and should not do.

Edit: Also, the dudes at Long and McQuade told me when I asked for a SM57 that the SM58 would be much better for vocals, and a condenser mic would be much better for recording, which is how I got here since I was actually looking for a SM57 in the first place, but what do you guys think about that? I'm sure this question is asked a lot but I just need to know.

Lumi fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 9, 2007

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.

Crystal Pepsi posted:

First of all, an SM58 IS an SM57. Just with a spitguard over the top. Same body for the most part, and exactly the same internals. It sounds a *little* different, but is 95% the same microphone.

Secondly: A some condensers are better for recording *some* things, not all. The L+M guy is just trying to get you to spend money you might not need to. Of course though, if you went and dropped $800 on a nice mid-level condenser, it would be a great tool to add to your box. If you want another 57 though, get one, they are great utility mics, and super cheap. You can't really have enough of them IMO.

Thirdly: You're in Vancouver apparently, pm me. I've got lots of tricks to get good deals from L+M people. Plus I build custom cables and gear for hella less than retail.

Well, actually, he did tell me that SM58 is an SM57, but he said that the filter would be better for vocals. And he did tell me that he could possibly get a condenser mic for less price than a SM57 if I'm not really looking for really high quality stuff, so I don't really think he was trying to get me to spend more money. Of course, I'm still not sure if he's right about everything, which is why I'm asking. I'm definitely recording on a budget, so a ~$800 isn't really for consideration. He did tell me that SM57 sounds kinda weird for recording vocals though, which I was kinda ehh about because I remember that SM57 was labelled as a instrument/vocal mic, so there's probably not much merit in his words.

I'd love to talk to you about stuff, but unfortunately I don't have platinum.

Edit: I'd be mainly using it to record vocals and acoustic guitar. Perhaps not even acoustic guitar, because I just may use its internal pickups, but a mic option would also be nice. So the focus is really vocals. With that in mind, which mic would be best?

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
Just to be clear, I was talking about this mic:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-AT2020-Large-Diaphragm-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone?sku=270620

I'm not sure if that's a cheap Chinese condenser because I don't know poo poo, so is it?

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
Well, is it worth getting? The way I know it is that condenser mics are more sensitive and therefore better for recording acoustic sources, but is it worth getting this? I'm going to get a SM57 eventually, but right now I can only afford one mic at a time. I guess my question is that would SM57 actually sound better with what I want to record (vocals, generally) over the condenser mic, even if it's a cheap Chinese one.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
So I went ahead and got both mics to test them out because I can return one of them. The SM58 is really quiet, I'm not sure because I've actually never used a dynamic mic yet. I've turned sensitivity (gain) to highest, is there anything I can do to improve the volume on it?

Edit: Never mind. :sweatdrop: It was the volume set low on my program.

Anyway, there's actually a really high whining sound when I record with the SM58. I'm not sure, but this may be from my interface which is making a faint high noise, but I can't be certain. Any advice here?

Lumi fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 9, 2007

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
Well, I don't think it's my computer fan, since I'm on my laptop and it's pretty quiet, I can't hear anything directly at least.

Supposedly the SM58 is unidirectional? I'm aiming it away from the computer and interface, and the only thing close is my voice. I don't suppose this is the mic's problem, is it? Because curiously the SM58 picks up the noise, but not the condenser mic.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.

wixard posted:

How high is the gain on the mic preamp with the 58 compared to the condenser? It could be that the preamp is breaking up. If you move the 58 around while monitoring with headphones and the noise never changes, it probably isn't a sound in the room it's probably in the signal chain somewhere.

And how high-pitched are we talking? Can you compare it to some sine waves and guess it's frequency? SM58s notoriously have that presence boost in the 3K to 8K range so it could be exaggerating something in the room, but a condenser should pick it up as well.

edit: Also this shouldn't be a problem, but you can try turning phantom power off when the 58 is plugged in.

Well, I'm using the built in preamp in the interface. There is a bit of difference in the gain, but when I tried to turn the gain on the SM58 down, there's still that noise, except quieter. I'll try moving some wires and stuff, see if it works.

It's a pretty high pitched frequency. I'm not sure how to quantify it, but it's kinda like that noise you hear when you're in a really quiet room, like a squeal.

I didn't have the phantom power on when I tried the SM58, I believe. Anyhow, I'm going to experiment a little more with it and see if I can get around it.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
This one is less about the hardware as it is about actually recording. When I record (SM58, Art Tube preamp, Edirol UA-25 interface), there's some noise, and in particular, there's a sort of high pitched thing going on that's near the top of my hearing range (I almost couldn't hear it, but it's definitely there). Is this normal? And and if so, is there anything I can do to get rid of this? Or should I do this post-processing with low pass filters and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Fostex electrit condenser mic. It looks pretty interesting but there's barely anything on it when I google.