Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006
I would, but I need the eggs.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could offer some opinions or point me in the right direction on how to get set up.

My current plan is to record with Garageband - XLR mics running to something like the Alesis IO|14 or IO|26, interfacing with the computer via Firewire. Does this sound reasonable?
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEIO14
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEIO26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006
Here's the recording setup I'm thinking about. Any input would be really appreciated.

Apple PowerBook G4, 512MB RAM, 1.5 GHz processor, running ProTools LE. USB input via DigiDesign M-Box 2 for MIDI, 1/4" cords, and XLR.

Thoughts?

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006

Jobless Drunk posted:

What do you plan on recording?

I'd just be multitracking myself one instrument at a time - keyboards, guitar, banjo, accordion. Maybe on rare occasion doing two at once, eg. guitar and vocals.

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006
Just trying to clear everything up before I commit and shell out some cash.

Previously, I was pretty sold on ProTools LE since the MBox 2 comes bundled with it. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to LE instead of M-Powered?

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006

wixard posted:

Not really, except that M-Powered is expensive enough that it's pretty tough to buy an M-Audio interface + M-Powered for cheaper than an MBox 2.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was getting at. Thanks a lot! I suppose I'll be ordering my MBox 2 and LE relatively soon, then.

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006
What kind of software instruments come with ProTools LE? I guess my main concerns are that there's a decent sounding piano and perhaps some way to accurately simulate a Rhodes piano. Thoughts?

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006

wixard posted:

LE comes with Reason Adapted I think, which I'm pretty sure has a basic piano and rhodes patch, but it's a little more involved to use Reason than the average virtual instrument.

So ProTools doesn't support VST, but Reason does? Is there a way to make the two "join forces" so that I could take advantage of all the free VST stuff? Maybe create a VST track in Reason, export it as a finished audio file, then pull the file into ProTools?

I'm pretty much guessing at the capabilities of each program. I know you said the problem could be solved with this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSTRTASWrap/

But if I don't have to spend any money, then I don't want to, you know?

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006
Let me ask a much more refined version of my original question - I'm still a bit confused, so my apologies.

With ProTools LE and an MBox 2, will I be able to get a Rhodes piano sound? And yes, I do have a MIDI keyboard if necessary. If the answer to the question is yes, how easy or not easy would this be?

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006

ampleforth posted:

I would like it very much if some of our elder statesmen of recording would talk about EQing for a bit.
I'm also pretty interested in hearing someone knowledeable talk about EQ and just "filling out" a song's sound in general.

Another point of curiosity - will any sustain pedal that already works with my keyboard also work with MIDI applications? Can MIDI interpret a sustain pedal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006
I'm finally ready to shell out some bucks and get set up to record. Please tell me what you think of the following setup:

Mac OS X Tiger
1 GB RAM
MBox 2
ProTools LE
Reason Adapted

MIDI cable
XLR cables
microphones:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MXL-990991-and-Audio-Buddy-Package?sku=703626

How's that sound to everyone?