Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Whoa, hey, looky here:

Burlew posted:

Miko goes nuts on V, critical hitting him with her katana and knocking him to -1 in one shot. She unleashes the rest of her full attack on Elan, knocking him to -8 too.

In the rest of that post he's very careful to use 'him/her' and 's/he', but it looks like he at least thinks of V as male. :ms:

Of course, officially it's still unknown and he may change it at any time, but he at least writes V as male most likely. I've always kind of felt that though, so it's not a huge surprise for me - does anyone think of V as female?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

Gyges posted:

Sorry, all undead leaders sound like Mumm-Ra to me.

They all sound Hades from the Disney version of Hercules to me. Personally I think that's perfect for Xykon. :shobon:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rose wood posted:

does anyone think of V as female?

Belkar? :laugh:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I have no idea why you're all so angrily arguing paladins and blackguards and jedi or whatever, I'm pretty sure the writer of the comic will do whatever he pleases to make it an interesting story and doesn't give two shits about D&D alignment system and how it should force everyone to act. Paladins are cops? The Hell?

I predict that Miko is just a bland old Fighter now, and will either go Blackguard if she encounters the Linear Guild, or she already is one as the author sees fit, and will go about justifying her actions in a delusional haze as she tries to come to terms with being a fallen murderer and fanatic. I feel bad for her, really, but she's a lunatic all the same.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Black August posted:

I have no idea why you're all so angrily arguing paladins and blackguards and jedi or whatever,

Because it's fun. :shobon:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

green leaf salad posted:

They all sound Hades from the Disney version of Hercules to me. Personally I think that's perfect for Xykon. :shobon:

Basically it depends on how fast they talk.

When are we going to get to the invasion already?

Nilhouse
Jun 24, 2004

King Donko of Punchstania

Rose wood posted:

I've always kind of felt that though, so it's not a huge surprise for me - does anyone think of V as female?

I just assumed V was female until the ambiguity was brought up by the characters. I think I even missed it the first time or so.

Wex Major
May 3, 2005

PRO-PAIN

Dammit Who? posted:

No, evil gods want servants who'll do what the evil gods want. What the servants themselves want is completely irrelevant.

I was under the impression that blackguards were fairly valued servants. As in, their betrayal would be a loss. Gods don't have infinite power, why would they share it with someone who is only kept in line through deceit? Evil gods are evil, not stupid.

Also,

quote:

The blackguard epitomizes evil. He is nothing short of a mortal fiend. The quintessential black knight, this villain carries a reputation of the foulest sort that is very well deserved. Consorting with demons and devils serving dark deities, the blackguard is hated and feared by all. Some people call these villains anti-paladins due to their completely evil nature. Their black hearts revel only in darkness.

That doesn't sound like that leaves much room for moral ambiguity. "I must do the right thing at any cost and also I jump to the conclusions" is lightyears away from "I burn down orphanages and sell the charred corpses to pedophilic necrophiles for an unreasonably high price and also I declawed my cat with a sledgehammer".

Unless Miko turns out to actually be evil instead of just misguided and arrogant (which is entirely possible), turning her into a Blackguard without any sort of deliberate mind control or brainwashing would be lame and contrived, not to mention cliche. And if she turns out to be actually evil then that would undermine the entire point of the character, which would also be lame as gently caress but at least it would make sense.

quote:

I have no idea why you're all so angrily arguing paladins and blackguards and jedi or whatever, I'm pretty sure the writer of the comic will do whatever he pleases to make it an interesting story and doesn't give two shits about D&D alignment system and how it should force everyone to act.

Yours is the only post in this thread so far that has made me anything resembling angry. It's a discussion. Just because someone's posts are long and/or involved doesn't mean they are in a frothing rage.

:hurr: I don't know why you guys apply critical thinking skills to things :hurr:

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

The Fortdeadlykick posted:

(also I'm pretty sure I just got a weak sass from gothfea)

No sass intended, just a comment that the odd romantic entanglement is all part of the genre dependig on your play group,and the more girls you play with the more you see it. Especially if the GM is a girl.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

gothfae posted:

No sass intended, just a comment that the odd romantic entanglement is all part of the genre dependig on your play group,and the more girls you play with the more you see it. Especially if the GM is a girl.

I'm not sure more girls is required for a romance within a campaign, just more mature/creepy players. Also I was mainly talking about the fact that in the entirety of the subplot there were about three jokes made about it and not much else, but again thats just my opinion and I've really enjoyed the comic for its run.

I'm just glad there should be are more rogue jokes now I like those.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

The Fortdeadlykick posted:

I'm not sure more girls is required for a romance within a campaign, just more mature/creepy players. Also I was mainly talking about the fact that in the entirety of the subplot there were about three jokes made about it and not much else, but again thats just my opinion and I've really enjoyed the comic for its run.

I'm just glad there should be are more rogue jokes now I like those.

I love how mature and creepy are interchangeable. :)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

For example, killing the Bandit Leader and his daughter.
Ok, fine, the sorceress was going to attack. But it was very clear that she was more powerful than they were, I'm sure she could have taken the -4 penalty to deal nonlethal damage and still easily defeat the daughter, instead, in one round, she eviscerates them both.

She really isn't a good person.

Well, the other thing to me about D&D morality is that it's the morality of a feudal world. Those two were probably outside the jurisdiction of any law and attacked her so she did what a samurai would do and wasted the scum. It's not like paladins traditionally bother to take orcs prisoner and rehabilitate them (barring a paladin I know with +50 Diplomacy and the Exalted Deeds redemption rules), you know? And as Belkar pointed out in his own way early in the strip, orcs are sentient beings too. So it's just the medieval way of doing things to execute transgressors.

Now don't take that to mean I think what she did to Shojo was justified, of course. He made no motion to be a direct threat to her, was well within the law's ability to punish, was her boss, so on. Nor do I think Miko's a person really deserving of paladinhood. I just felt like stating my opinion on the example you brought up.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 31, 2007

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Black August posted:

I have no idea why you're all so angrily arguing paladins and blackguards and jedi or whatever, I'm pretty sure the writer of the comic will do whatever he pleases to make it an interesting story and doesn't give two shits about D&D alignment system and how it should force everyone to act. Paladins are cops? The Hell?
Um, a big part of the comic is that he is keeping one eye on the game, even if he varies things from time to time. Also I have no idea why so many people see "opinion" or "discussion" and interpret it as "angry". Actually I do have a few theories on that.

Wex Major
May 3, 2005

PRO-PAIN

SuperKlaus posted:

Well, the other thing to me about D&D morality is that it's the morality of a feudal world. Those two were probably outside the jurisdiction of any law and attacked her so she did what a samurai would do and wasted the scum. It's not like paladins traditionally bother to take orcs prisoner and rehabilitate them (barring a paladin I know with +50 Diplomacy and the Exalted Deeds redemption rules), you know? And as Belkar pointed out in his own way early in the strip, orcs are sentient beings too. So it's just the medieval way of doing things to execute transgressors.

Yeah, killing clearly unrepentant murderers/bandits is definitely not chaotic or evil, especially considering the setting.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wex Major posted:

Unless Miko turns out to actually be evil instead of just misguided and arrogant (which is entirely possible), turning her into a Blackguard without any sort of deliberate mind control or brainwashing would be lame and contrived, not to mention cliche.

I think I at least, and probably several other people are going to have to agree to disagree with you on that point. Done well, having her turn Blackgaurd or what have you via falsehoods preying on her inherent arrogance and Paladin upbringing and faith would not only be believable, but a good story.

Of course, done badly it would be a disaster as you say, but that's true of anything.

Also, EVERYTHING is a cliche at this point. You could not suggest one possible story, scenario or outcome that isn't a cliche to some degree or other, so I really don't think that's a valid point.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
(I have waited long for this moment)

:frogsiren: NEW STRIP IS UP :frogsiren:

I think Roy's sword is a little indicative of exactly how far from her rocker Miko has strayed.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

The Werle posted:

I think Roy's sword is a little indicative of exactly how far from her rocker Miko has strayed.

That is the greatest Belkar monologue of all time.

And yeah, she is compeltely fallen, no remorse, just more rationalization.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
At least she admits that she needs to think about this, and figure out what's going wrong. Which wasn't helped by Roy getting up in her face, and mocking the poo poo out of her. Belkar was great in it though, and I really hope he tries something on Miko next strip, just to see what'll happen to him.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
More fuel for the "Roy is a dick" fire. :mmmhmm:

Seems like Miko might stay around for a while with a vendetta against all of them, which would actually be kind of cool.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

tsob posted:

I think I at least, and probably several other people are going to have to agree to disagree with you on that point. Done well, having her turn Blackgaurd or what have you via falsehoods preying on her inherent arrogance and Paladin upbringing and faith would not only be believable, but a good story.

Of course, done badly it would be a disaster as you say, but that's true of anything.

Also, EVERYTHING is a cliche at this point. You could not suggest one possible story, scenario or outcome that isn't a cliche to some degree or other, so I really don't think that's a valid point.
I know! I know!

A Great Old One comes out of the sky, shakes Miko's hand, and she takes the Alienist PrC. That wouldn't be cliche at ALL!

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl
The fact that I laughed at "Treasure Type O" fills me with deep geek shame.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SuperKlaus posted:

Now don't take that to mean I think what she did to Shojo was justified, of course. He made no motion to be a direct threat to her, was well within the law's ability to punish, was her boss, so on. Nor do I think Miko's a person really deserving of paladinhood. I just felt like stating my opinion on the example you brought up.

I agree with alot.
But, if I remember correctly, the Bandit Dad made no attempt to fight Miko, even trying to talk his daughter out of attacking her. He showed no signs of transgression until Miko killed his daughter, that's when he was wanting to fight.
She could have knocked out the daughter with nonlethal damage, and let them be on their way after asking Bandit Dad for whatever else she needed in information.

Im just saying, if I notice that only one of two people is trying to fight me, and the second person doesn't seem like he wants to fight, I'd try to knock out, rather than kill the other person.

Now if they were both coming after me, by all means, defend yourself with lethal force.

That's how I would have handled it anyways if I were calling myself a paladin, but, I also know why it wouldn't work in the comic. I just wanted to point out, that it was fairly clear that Miko wasn't good.
Lawful maybe, but not good.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Oh man the latest strip is awesome. I don't really think that topping Belkar's first line is possible, and it's always great to see Roy being snappy with someone (especially when that someone has had it coming for like half the comic).

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Lafarga posted:

The fact that I laughed at "Treasure Type O" fills me with deep geek shame.

It took me 30 seconds, then I got it. I feel no shame for laughing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheHeadSage posted:

It took me 30 seconds, then I got it. I feel no shame for laughing.

Care to fill the some of the rest of us in? I don't get it at all :(

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

tsob posted:

Care to fill the some of the rest of us in? I don't get it at all :(

I don't think 3E does it like this, but back in the day all of the D&D random treasure tables were organized by "Treasure Type", which were letter-coded. Then you'd have a Monster Manual listing that says that Giant Vampiric Dust Mites have Treasure Types Ax2,F, and G, and when the DM generates treasure for the critter he rolls on those tables and combines all the results.

As for "Treasure Type O", think "showing her my O-face".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Werle posted:

Nah, the glowy is just a random effect

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html

The glow is just a sometimes thing, and it would only really affect undead anyways.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I just skimmed the Giant in the Playground forums and there's a bunch of people bitching and moaning about Roy attacking Miko and shouting snappy one liners instead of trying to be nice to her :gonk:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

I just skimmed the Giant in the Playground forums and there's a bunch of people bitching and moaning about Roy attacking Miko and shouting snappy one liners instead of trying to be nice to her :gonk:

I just spent the last good while saying Roy was wrong on 4chan :)

I said I'd do it there rather than here, as it was likely to get quite heated and long and drama bomby, and I'd rather not poo poo up the thread with it. 4chan on the other hand, is nothing but that, so where's the harm.

Thing is, I quite like Roy, I just think he went about this badly, and the whole situation went bad because of it. Then again, I quite like Miko too, so...

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Why the hell would you go off on Roy? She MURDERED Shojo out of a self-absorbed insanity, she's tried killing or imprisoning the innocent Order on several occasions with recognition of her own mistakes in the matter, and she's finally gone over the edge to the point where her own deities have forsaken her. Roy's just putting a mad dog down.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just read the post on it on 4chan, no way I'm bringing that drama-bomb in here.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

tsob posted:

Just read the post on it on 4chan, no way I'm bringing that drama-bomb in here.

I wouldn't read 4chan if you paid AND linked me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Werle posted:

I wouldn't read 4chan if you paid AND linked me.

Fair enough, someone else can defend her here so, I'm certainly not gonna start that. Most of the defense (of Roy's actions) on 4chan was just name calling, and people completely ignoring lots of points. As much as I like BSS, I expect the same would happen here, at least to a degree, since people seem to really hate her and/or love Roy.

Beaver Patrol
Sep 25, 2005
So will Miko die in the next comic or will we have to wait a bit more to see who he kills?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is it just me or does it look Miko is about to attack Belkar?
Remember what the Oracle let slip about Belkar?
...Yeah...
Then again, he has to cause the death of either Miko, Windstriker, or the Oracle before he dies himself.

Beaver Patrol
Sep 25, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Is it just me or does it look Miko is about to attack Belkar?
Remember what the Oracle let slip about Belkar?
...Yeah...
Then again, he has to cause the death of either Miko, Windstriker, or the Oracle before he dies himself.

Well, Durkon will die. Belkar just kills someone.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Roy is perfectly justified in being pissed off and, hey, he's not the one breaking an oath or anything, and while he can be any damned alignment he wants you could pretty much justify his actions for any alignment except maybe Neutral Evil.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Belkar kills at least one person on the list, the way the question was worded he may kill as many as all 5.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Beaver Patrol posted:

Well, Durkon will die. Belkar just kills someone.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html
Eitherway, if Belkar bites it, I'll be sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

tsob posted:

Fair enough, someone else can defend her here so, I'm certainly not gonna start that. Most of the defense (of Roy's actions) on 4chan was just name calling, and people completely ignoring lots of points. As much as I like BSS, I expect the same would happen here, at least to a degree, since people seem to really hate her and/or love Roy.

To repeat what I posted in the other thread:

quote:

You're supposed to [hate Miko]. She's the villain you actually hate. Xykon's a pretty cool guy, all things considered, as are Nale's crew, and if they were permanently removed from the picture you'd feel a little sad because they're funny and interesting in their Comedy D&D Evil way. Without Miko the strip doesn't have a villain whose painful death you're actually rooting for; she's the kind of evil you find in the real world, which doesn't dress itself in skulls and cackle madly to itself because it's convinced of its own righteousness.

Roy's reaction to Miko's divine bitchslap is perfectly reasonable, because Miko is a villain. She's been presented as this particular style of villain ("Warhammer 40k Inquisitor") since her very first on-screen kill, and her crazed execution of Shojo was the final nail. It is no more a moral or ethical failure for Roy to go try to take her out, immediately after watching her kill in cold blood the closest thing he had to a mentor at the moment, than it was a failure for him to not try to talk Xykon into coming quietly.

This is D&D. Roy's a hero, and heroes stick pointy mental objects into bad guys. There's probably a class about that in Fighter College. The only way you can complain about Roy's choice of actions given the context is if you want to argue that Miko isn't a villain within the narrative, and given the last 200+ strips I think that's a bit of a reach.