Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I think that Roy attacking Miko probably ruined any chance of her realizing she was wrong, but at the same time I can't really blame Roy for doing so under the circumstances, as she just cut an unrarmed ally in half.

I was still sort of hoping she worked things out, though. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaver Patrol
Sep 25, 2005

Calaveron posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html
Eitherway, if Belkar bites it, I'll be sad.

Jesus, I can't believe I forgot that. Now I gotta re read the comic again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Like I said, I'm not getting dragged into that debate, no matter how much I want, and I think the last few replies are proof enough that's a good decision. I said I wanted to avoid it, and this was followed by several posts condemning her absolutely and justifying Roy's actions on every level.

I do wish to say though that I think Miko is the least realistic of the villians in the comic. Nale, and to a lesser degree Xykon are much more realistic because they know what they're doing is bad, freely admit it, and have a reason they keep doing it. I don't think most real murderers etc. are under the impression they're right. A few are, but not most.

Miko would be the exception, and more to the point, the laymen taken to extremes. Most people commit small illegal acts be it jay-walking, petty theft or whatever on a regular basis and justify themselves, and that's her taken to the highest order, and thus unrealistic.

Nale and certain members of his first crew are much more realistic in that they know they're bad, and have resolved that they're doing it for whatever reason. Like that dwarf girl for a start.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 1, 2007

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
poo poo, quoted instead of edited. Sorry.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
No, Miko's a fanatic. She sees things only in black and white and can't see herself as being evil or bad no matter what. Have you heard of cognitive dissonance?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

tsob posted:

Like I said, I'm not getting dragged into that debate, no matter how much I want, and I think the last few replies are proof enough that's a good decision. I said I wanted to avoid it, and this was followed by several posts condemning her absolutely and justifying Roy's actions on every level.

Look, if you're a policeman in the middle of an armed standoff with a criminal, you try to talk that criminal down until such time as the criminal starts firing wildly into a crowd of bystanders. Then you shoot.

I don't know what you're talking about re: "absolute condemnation" and similar out-of-left-field hyperbole. Miko slashed someone in half and Roy moved in to stop her from doing it again. I imagine that his intent is to incapacitate her by dropping her below 0 hitpoints, but if she were to die it wouldn't be very different from the death of the trigger-happy criminal I used in an example above.

Now, if you're enough of a bleeding heart to complain about Roy's hurtful remarks then I don't even know what to say to you.

quote:

I do wish to say though that I think Miko is the least realistic of the villians in the comic. Nale, and to a lesser degree Xykon are much more realistic because they know what they're doing is bad, freely admit it, and have a reason they keep doing it. I don't think most real murderers etc. are under the impression they're right. A few are, but not most.

You really think a hotheaded murderous zealot is less realistic than a cackling megalomaniac who refers to himself as evil and wants to rule the world?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 1, 2007

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I think Miko's bit about "It all made sense, for the first time in years..." suggests there's some backstory to her we haven't been given which might make her high-strung demeanor a bit more sympathetic.

tsob posted:

I don't think most real murderers etc. are under the impression they're right. A few are, but not most.

I'm no murderologist, but I would imagine that the justification mechanism most murderers use is that while 'murder' as an abstract concept is wrong, the specific instance of murder they committed is excusable. I don't think even a reason for the exception is necessary, because all they would be doing is cognitive dissonance to reconcile a good self-image with society's disapproval of murder. Of course, this is just me guessing based on what I remember of psychology, but yeah.

And it's really weird to me that people think any kind of majority of 'bad' people in real life honestly believe or are aware that they're bad. I'm not trying to insult you guys, or anything, it's just that that conclusion is completely foreign to my experience.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

tsob posted:

I do wish to say though that I think Miko is the least realistic of the villians in the comic.

With this one line you've convinced me that I certainly don't want to have a conversation with you, now or in the future.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

tsob posted:

More evil is done in the name of good than it is otherwise.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dammit Who? posted:

Of course, this is just me guessing based on what I remember of psychology, but yeah.

Meh, I probably am wrong. Especially if someone who's done even a small bit of actual psychology study says so. I've never looked into that kind of thing at all. I'm just going on personal experience and popular entertainment.

Lafarga posted:

With this one line you've convinced me that I certainly don't want to have a conversation with you, now or in the future.

Well, aren't you a happy pappy.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

tsob posted:

Well, aren't you a happy pappy.

Well to be fair you've just spent the last few posts explaining how little you want to talk about it anyway, so maybe you two are perfect for each other :awesome:

Guardian 585
Sep 6, 2004

Beaver Patrol posted:

Well, Durkon will die. Belkar just kills someone.

The oracle's prediction was posthumously (after death) is when he may return to the dwarven lands, which is not specifically his own death.

In this comic the letter to Durkon says that the former High Priest died and the new High Priest will allow Durkon to return home. So Durkon could die but it is uncertain if he will.

Guardian 585 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 1, 2007

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Guardian 585 posted:

The oracle's prediction was posthumously (after death) is when he may return to the dwarven lands, which is not specifically his own death.

No, it is specifically his own death. That's what posthumously means in this context.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dammit Who? posted:

No, it is specifically his own death. That's what posthumously means in this context.

Posthumously just means after death. There is a resurection clause there.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CoolCab posted:

Oh, snap, a D&D-based twist. I'm 95% certain now that this is exactly the way it will play out.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

CoolCab posted:

Yes? :confused: Durkon will die before returning to the dwarven lands. I thought that was what I said.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dammit Who? posted:

Yes? :confused: Durkon will die before returning to the dwarven lands. I thought that was what I said.

Just pointing out it's not a death sentence, except in how it is.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur
I don't recall, but did Rich ever explain why Durkon was exiled?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Spaceship Zero posted:

I don't remember where I read it, but he was exiled because the hih priest if Thor had a vision that if Durkon were to hang out in Dwarven lands some more death and destruction would strike them.
The way I see it, if Durkon returns to dwarven lands, he'll be followed by Xykon and friends, then he'll die there.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Beaver Patrol posted:

Jesus, I can't believe I forgot that. Now I gotta re read the comic again.

The quoted comic, along with the current strip, have convinced me that Belkar is about to bite it. Miko, for all intents and purposes, has just killed a NPC. If she slaughters an entertaining and in this case, helpless PC? Well, that will really turn everyone against her.

Hopefully what Belkar is saying is true, but I'm still worried :smith:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Semiru posted:

The quoted comic, along with the current strip, have convinced me that Belkar is about to bite it. Miko, for all intents and purposes, has just killed a NPC. If she slaughters an entertaining and in this case, helpless PC? Well, that will really turn everyone against her.

Unless he passed his birthday on the walk back he should be fine :)

All of the predictions will come true to the letter but rarely to the intent in some biting way. Durkon will return to the dwarven lands as a zombie. Elan will end up magically lobotomised and happily drooling as Nale kills his friends. Etc.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

Speaking of Durkon and the prediction...

If you're killed and raised, wouldn't all of your actions after that point be posthumous? Goddamned prophesies and resurrections all making with the semantics

Harl37
Oct 13, 2005

So very tired.

Spaceship Zero posted:

There was a "Volume 0" book titled "On the Origin of PC's" that gave backstories on all the members of the Order. The comics in that book are not available online, so if you want to read them you'd have to get the book.

My local comic shop has been able to get Vol. 2 in, so your comic store might be able to get it for you, or just buy it from the Giant's website.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

Awesome. For some reason I thought that On the Origin of PC's was just the first collection of online strips. I shall order it posthaste.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Here is Miko's first appearance. Anyone who thinks she has any genuine good within her is dumb as a box of rocks.

An additional note to those planning a Banjo the Clown avatar: You can't have one without inserting a Banjulhu panel as a suprise.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Werle fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 1, 2007

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I just thought of something.
Now that Miko has been unpaladinned, what happens to her horse?
Does it die? Or just return to the celestial dude ranch from whence it came?

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
I don't have the books in front of me but the Paladin's horse is summoned for a period of time based on the Paladin's level, so it would probably just go poof, if not immediately then after its time is up. In any case I doubt it'd let her ride it in her non-Paladin status. Were I the DM I'd probably have it give her a solid bite before vanishing.

Myok fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 1, 2007

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

Dammit Who? posted:

I think Miko's bit about "It all made sense, for the first time in years..." suggests there's some backstory to her we haven't been given which might make her high-strung demeanor a bit more sympathetic.

I can't exactly cite strips on this, but I always kind of got the impression that Miko was a bit isolated amongst the other paladins for her pigheadedness and obsession with justice, honour, etc. to the extent of all else. She seems to think that her order should be much stricter than it actually is (that one strip where Shojo's sending her off and she actually sighs when he tells her not to kill the Order), and that it isn't and she's in no position to change that has, I kind of get the feeling, brewed dissatisfaction in her. Roots of rebellion and all that. I dunno, just a theory.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Myok posted:

I don't have the books in front of me but the Paladin's horse is summoned for a period of time based on the Paladin's level, so it would probably just go poof, if not immediately then after its time is up.

Where does it say this? I do have the book in front of me, but I've never played a Paladin and can't find it at the moment. :downs:

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

bgaesop posted:

Where does it say this? I do have the book in front of me, but I've never played a Paladin and can't find it at the moment. :downs:

It's the Special Mount ability gained at 5th level, according to this site (best I can do for now). My paladin died and was reincarnated as a big brown bear (3.0 rules) so now there's a bear and horse tag team running around the woods.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Myok posted:

I don't have the books in front of me but the Paladin's horse is summoned for a period of time based on the Paladin's level, so it would probably just go poof, if not immediately then after its time is up. In any case I doubt it'd let her ride it in her non-Paladin status. Were I the DM I'd probably have it give her a solid bite before vanishing.
When Fallen, a Paladin immediately loses access to a Paladin abilities, including their Mount. I'd probably treat it like I'd treat a Mount being killed: all equipment on the mount would be dropped, and the Horse would disappear.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Myok posted:

It's the Special Mount ability gained at 5th level, according to this site (best I can do for now). My paladin died and was reincarnated as a big brown bear (3.0 rules) so now there's a bear and horse tag team running around the woods.

I thought to look in the Paladin's Mount sidebar but not the Class Features section. Oy. :downs: Still, there's something interesting there:

quote:

Each time the mount is called, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Calling a mount is a conjuration (calling) effect.

And yet:

:raise:

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

bgaesop posted:

I thought to look in the Paladin's Mount sidebar but not the Class Features section. Oy. :downs: Still, there's something interesting there:

And yet:

:raise:

I'm not familiar with Paladin rules enough to know whether its the case, but do they have to prepare their daily spells like a wizard or cleric does? If that is the case, maybe she only prepared one "Conjure Celestial Mount" spell for the day and the time she refers to is waiting til the next day when she could resummon Windstriker at full health.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Werle posted:

I'm not familiar with Paladin rules enough to know whether its the case, but do they have to prepare their daily spells like a wizard or cleric does? If that is the case, maybe she only prepared one "Conjure Celestial Mount" spell for the day and the time she refers to is waiting til the next day when she could resummon Windstriker at full health.

Ahh, yes, that's it. It's actually a supernatural 1/day ability, but same difference. The mount also only stays for 2 hours per level, so if anyone feels like reading through a bunch of back strips and figuring out the longest the mount stays out, we can determine Miko's level.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

bgaesop posted:

Ahh, yes, that's it. It's actually a supernatural 1/day ability, but same difference. The mount also only stays for 2 hours per level, so if anyone feels like reading through a bunch of back strips and figuring out the longest the mount stays out, we can determine Miko's level.

If she's higher than 11 we would never be able to tell.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Semiru posted:

Maybe he's responsible for her death in that she is executed for murdering him. :v:

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

gothfae posted:

If she's higher than 11 we would never be able to tell.
Well, I'm pretty sure she doesn't have 11 levels in Paladin, but due to the nebulous nature of time in comic strips, I doubt we'd be able to tell anyway.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

green leaf salad posted:

I can't exactly cite strips on this, but I always kind of got the impression that Miko was a bit isolated amongst the other paladins for her pigheadedness and obsession with justice, honour, etc. to the extent of all else.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0265.html - She gets sent on the long travel missions to get her away from everyone else.

edit:

Dammit Who? posted:

She might be referring to her hosed up sense of what happened. (i.e: Why Shojo was acting all crazy, pulling her away from the monastery, etc.) It doesn't excuse her actions.

Sock fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 2, 2007

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I watched a load of season 4 of Babylon 5 today after I went home from work and was just wondering...in one episode (6 I think) Sheridan refers to the Vorlons and Shadows as "Giants in the Playground". Is this where the sites name originates, or is the saying more popular than I know in other parts of the world?

I've just never heard it before, and it kinda jumped out at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

I agree with alot.
But, if I remember correctly, the Bandit Dad made no attempt to fight Miko, even trying to talk his daughter out of attacking her. He showed no signs of transgression until Miko killed his daughter, that's when he was wanting to fight.
She could have knocked out the daughter with nonlethal damage, and let them be on their way after asking Bandit Dad for whatever else she needed in information.

I think it can be assumed that the bandit dad was moving to strike her (he drew his weapons after all) and she simply won initiative, and we can't see it for certain because comics are static.

Giant in the Playground is explained on the site. If I remember correctly it's just an image Rich thought up and liked.