Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

tsob posted:

I watched a load of season 4 of Babylon 5 today after I went home from work and was just wondering...in one episode (6 I think) Sheridan refers to the Vorlons and Shadows as "Giants in the Playground". Is this where the sites name originates, or is the saying more popular than I know in other parts of the world? I've just never heard it before, and it kinda jumped out at me.
I'm not sure it's unique to B5, I doubt it, you could probably ask on his forums and maybe get an answer.

That is unless you're too busy posting on 4chan :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SuperKlaus posted:

I think it can be assumed that the bandit dad was moving to strike her (he drew his weapons after all) and she simply won initiative, and we can't see it for certain because comics are static.

Giant in the Playground is explained on the site. If I remember correctly it's just an image Rich thought up and liked.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0189.html

Bandit Dad was actually willing to cooperate with Miko, then Bandit Daughter threatens Miko, Bandit Dad tried to talk some sense into Daughter, but she tries to take Miko on anyways.
In one attack, Miko bisects her, Bandit Dad is all :aaa: and THEN draws his weapons to avenge his little girl.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Leikr Elferston posted:

I'm not sure it's unique to B5, I doubt it, you could probably ask on his forums and maybe get an answer.

That implies going through a lot of effort to sign up, and I don't think I care that much. Besides, it was already answered.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

An imperfect duplicate of love

The Werle posted:

(I have waited long for this moment)

:frogsiren: NEW STRIP IS UP :frogsiren:

I think Roy's sword is a little indicative of exactly how far from her rocker Miko has strayed.

Wow, that was really awesome.

"YOU KILLED THE WACKY OLD GUY WITH THE CAT!?"

tsob posted:

At least she admits that she needs to think about this, and figure out what's going wrong. Which wasn't helped by Roy getting up in her face, and mocking the poo poo out of her.

Yes. I love how it's not just the bad guys who are doing stupid, emotionally-fueled things that will cause trouble down the line.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

tsob posted:

That implies going through a lot of effort to sign up, and I don't think I care that much. Besides, it was already answered.

I don't know if this was the answer you got, but in the FAQ he specifically states that reference is where he got his name.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RickoniX posted:

I don't know if this was the answer you got, but in the FAQ he specifically states that reference is where he got his name.

Oh hey, you're right. I just took SuperKlaus' answer back at the end of page 5 as the truth, but that's pretty cool. Just one more reason to like the comic :awesome:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well, I'm off to buy that Banjo avatar Guardian made (sorry, no Banjuhlu :shobon: ). Any suggestions for a title, or just a nice short ALL HAIL BANJO!?

EDIT: Oops, F5'ed too late.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 2, 2007

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well, I'm off to buy that Banjo avatar Guardian made (sorry, no Banjuhlu :shobon: ). Any suggestions for a title, or just a nice short ALL HAIL BANJO!?

Behold! Banjo the Clown--God of Puppets!!!!

the_steve fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 2, 2007

Wex Major
May 3, 2005

PRO-PAIN

Ununnilium posted:

Yes. I love how it's not just the bad guys who are doing stupid, emotionally-fueled things that will cause trouble down the line.

Exactly. Roy attacking her isn't out of his alignment, it's just really stupid and rash.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
It's not stupid and it's not rash, she's gone rogue and putting her down is a very good idea. Even without her paladin powers she's still extremly powerful and could do a lot of damage if she isn't contained. it's kinda like if daredevil and moon-knight were talking to the mayor, and moon-knight punched the mayors head in for going soft on littering. What do you think DD is going to do, back off and hope for the best?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Leikr Elferston posted:

It's not stupid and it's not rash, she's gone rogue and putting her down is a very good idea. Even without her paladin powers she's still extremly powerful and could do a lot of damage if she isn't contained. it's kinda like if daredevil and moon-knight were talking to the mayor, and moon-knight punched the mayors head in for going soft on littering. What do you think DD is going to do, back off and hope for the best?

I think they were more referring to Roy's vocal jabs at her than anything, but personally I think that's more because it's a comic and 6 panels of people just slashing and grunting is boring, rather than to delve deeply into Roy's psyche.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cowcaster posted:

I think they were more referring to Roy's vocal jabs at her than anything, but personally I think that's more because it's a comic and 6 panels of people just slashing and grunting is boring, rather than to delve deeply into Roy's psyche.

People who complain about Roy's remarks are pretty much bizarre moon men because they're hilarious and awesome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wex Major
May 3, 2005

PRO-PAIN

Leikr Elferston posted:

I don't know, it seemed pretty obvious to me that it would be a good opportunity to end the conflict without further bloodshed and maybe even convince Miko not to be a crazy bitch all the time. If he attacked her and she got away (she's a loving monk of course she's going to get away) it would only make the situation worse, which is exactly what happened. What are the chances of Miko trying to redeem herself now that the good guys attacked her? It was just a bad move on Roy's part. There are times when diplomacy is preferable to force.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
New comic is out, and it's aces. Hinjo shows how awesome he is, Miko shows how psyco she is, and Roy gets to be sarky about the way me and other people were condemning his actions in the last comic. I'm just annoyed Belkar didn't try attacking her to see what would happen, for the hilarity.

I wonder what Miko will do now.

Edit: I'm shocked Hinjo did so badly against her though, I didn't think she was that powerful, but I'm completely unfamiliar to D&D, so I suppose that's to be expected.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 3, 2007

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Wex Major posted:

I don't know, it seemed pretty obvious to me that it would be a good opportunity to end the conflict without further bloodshed and maybe even convince Miko not to be a crazy bitch all the time. If he attacked her and she got away (she's a loving monk of course she's going to get away) it would only make the situation worse, which is exactly what happened. What are the chances of Miko trying to redeem herself now that the good guys attacked her? It was just a bad move on Roy's part. There are times when diplomacy is preferable to force.

Well, talking as a DM, if I put an NPC into a game, specifically to bother the PCs, capture them, irritate them constantly, talk trash to them, and then, after the PCs get done dealing with all manner of poo poo, and then, have the NPC kill a figure who is liked, beloved, or looked fondly upon as a crazy old man, I would not expect said irritating NPC to be given a chance to make it to next week's session.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Yeah, I'm officially gay for Roy now. I also hoped for more combat prowess from Shinjo, but hey. If Miko's a star villain, NPCs can't be the ones to put her down.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Anyone else unable to connect to the site?

Did you guys melt another one :mad:

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd say she has at least 5 levels on him. Or it's possible she just managed to snap off a disarm and an improved trip between panels.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cowcaster posted:

Anyone else unable to connect to the site?

I had a lot of trouble getting the actual picture to load when I went to see if it had updated, so I think so.

Guardian 585
Sep 6, 2004
The site isn't at a crawl anymore so there's no need for the alternate host.

Guardian 585 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 3, 2007

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know what I just caught reading the strip where Nale hires his new wizard? The kid's name is "Pompey," and he's here to oppose "Vaarsuvius." Eh? Eh? I don't think it's coincidence. It sure doesn't bode well for what would happen if the kid fought V, but I guess we already knew who was weaker.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gumby posted:

Yeah, I'm officially gay for Roy now. I also hoped for more combat prowess from Shinjo, but hey. If Miko's a star villain, NPCs can't be the ones to put her down.
Didn't he say at one point that he's a high-level Aristocrat? Unless he has some kind of Chosen of Whoever prestige class, an artifact, or something like that, he's not going to be worth much in combat.

Wex Major
May 3, 2005

PRO-PAIN

SuperKlaus posted:

It sure doesn't bode well for what would happen if the kid fought V, but I guess we already knew who was weaker.

Actually it bodes very well.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't he say at one point that he's a high-level Aristocrat? Unless he has some kind of Chosen of Whoever prestige class, an artifact, or something like that, he's not going to be worth much in combat.

That was Lord Shojo who said he was an Aristocrat, and who was cut in half by psychobitch a few strips ago. The paladin who just got his rear end handed to him but is still alive is Hinjo.

I have no idea who "Shinjo" is but it sounds like it involves fanfic.

Also, go Roy.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
I just hope that Miko doesn't go down a "OotS is responsible for everything that's gone wrong, RAAGH MUST KILL THEM" route.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer
I am going to laugh very hard if that little kick Belkar gave Miko ends up killing her, though that would be a waste of a good reoccuring villian. Unless Xykon somehow brings her back from the dead somehow (though I don't know DnD rules so I have no idea how that would affect her badassness).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sock posted:

I just hope that Miko doesn't go down a "OotS is responsible for everything that's gone wrong, RAAGH MUST KILL THEM" route.

That's too bad, because everything up to this point is building to that outcome :confused:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeroc2 posted:

I am going to laugh very hard if that little kick Belkar gave Miko ends up killing her, though that would be a waste of a good reoccuring villian. Unless Xykon somehow brings her back from the dead somehow (though I don't know DnD rules so I have no idea how that would affect her badassness).

Nah, that hit wouldn't do anything beyond further knocking her out since it's just a little non-lethal damage. Xykon certainly could bring her back if she dies, either by having her resurrected (although she would know that it was an evil deity behind it and could refuse) or by raising her as some manner of undead, although that would likely be a sub-optimal choice.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

Nah, that hit wouldn't do anything beyond further knocking her out since it's just a little non-lethal damage. Xykon certainly could bring her back if she dies, either by having her resurrected (although she would know that it was an evil deity behind it and could refuse) or by raising her as some manner of undead, although that would likely be a sub-optimal choice.

So lethal is a type of damage? I assumed "lethal" meant "enough damage to kill" rather than a type of attack damage

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wex Major posted:

Actually it bodes very well.

Well, from the heroes' perspective, not the kid's.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Yeroc2 posted:

I am going to laugh very hard if that little kick Belkar gave Miko ends up killing her, though that would be a waste of a good reoccuring villian.

I'm half-expecting her to join the Linear Guild. She makes a good opposite for Roy - they'd have to get rid of Thog somehow, but maybe he just sees something sparkly in a window and gets lost.

It's quite possible that Miko knows about the identities of their new prisoners - at least to the extent of "they hate the Order of the Stick" - and, seriously, if Miko in her present state goes and talks to Nale, she'll probably end up 100% convinced that Nale is a force for good and puppies and rainbows, fighting against the twisted demonic mastermind that is Roy.

It'd be a bit cliche - I don't want the story to end up being "good guys versus bad guys", with the OotS on one side and Xykon+Miko+Linear Guild on the other - but I think those groups do really need to interact at some point, even if they don't permanently ally.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

tsob posted:

Edit: I'm shocked Hinjo did so badly against her though, I didn't think she was that powerful, but I'm completely unfamiliar to D&D, so I suppose that's to be expected.

Well, it's been said several times that she was the most powerful paladin in the guard, even with the damage Roy did to her, she probably had a sizable advantage, plus levels in Monk that Hinjo wouldn't have.

Plus, Im sure Hinjo was trying to hold back anyways, he really didn't want to stoop to her level and start killing everyone out of convenience, he did nothing but give her chances to turn herself in, whereas she's taking full attack actions every round.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Yeroc2 posted:

So lethal is a type of damage? I assumed "lethal" meant "enough damage to kill" rather than a type of attack damage

Yeah. To simplify, there's lethal, which means that the person is actively attempting to kill you, and nonlethal, which means they're just trying to beat you up. If Roy had smacked Miko with the flat of his sword, it probably would have counted as nonlethal, meaning that he intended to incapacitate and not kill her. That'd be a DM ruling, though, since you could make the case that the flat side of a greatsword counts for lethal bludgeoning damage.

Nonlethal damage winds you up unconscious most of the time, lethal winds you up dead.

And remember Miko is the paladin who's always sent away on long foreign missions because nobody can stand her - meaning she's raking in the XP while Hinjo just hangs out in the city. Unsurprisingly, she's probably got at least 5 or 6 levels on him, and even without paladin skills, 5 or 6 levels in a one on one nonepic fight in D&D basically means the weaker one is going to die really, really quickly.

Miko's got a couple of levels on the Order itself, too, or she never would have been able to take them all down when she first met them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Miko's got a couple of levels on the Order itself, too, or she never would have been able to take them all down when she first met them.

Keep in mind that Durkon wasn't actually fighting, he simply healed people so they wouldn't die, and Roy was at a disadvantage as he was using a non-magical club that I strongly doubt he took Specialization or Focus feats in.
Miko also had her horse at the time acting as a second combatant.

Miko beating the Order was more a fluke than a clear display of her power.

MatrixSchmatrix
Jul 1, 2006

tsob posted:

I watched a load of season 4 of Babylon 5 today after I went home from work and was just wondering...in one episode (6 I think) Sheridan refers to the Vorlons and Shadows as "Giants in the Playground". Is this where the sites name originates, or is the saying more popular than I know in other parts of the world?

I've just never heard it before, and it kinda jumped out at me.

Yes, that's the origin. Berlew mentioned it somewhere on the internal boards. He adopted the name on the grounds that he was posting somewhere and thought he was basically the only person in the place in which he was posting with half a brain, and started using that moniker, but it is a Babylon 5 reference.

As for the strip, I think the confrontation with Hinjo made it perfectly clear that Miko was completely beyond rational thought or remorse at this point, and nothing anyone else did was going to effect her in any predictable way. She can't accept that she's done anything wrong, when the gods themselves have told her so. If she's managed that feat of cognitive dissonance, there is probably nothing of which she can't convince herself.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Oh man, home run.

It's been said, but Hinjo was fighting to take her down while she was fighting to take him out. That's a pretty severe disadvantage when both fighters are using lethal weapons to begin with, but with Miko's level advantage and monk skills playing in I think Hinjo did about as well as could be expected.

Roy was playing to win before, (he wouldn't stop someone from restraining and healing her to stop her from bleeding out, but I don't think he would have shed too many tears if he got a lucky crit) but stepped in nonlethaly once he had to, seeing as how Hinjo couldn't have called for help in single combat. To be fair Miko did it first.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

the_steve posted:

Keep in mind that Durkon wasn't actually fighting, he simply healed people so they wouldn't die, and Roy was at a disadvantage as he was using a non-magical club that I strongly doubt he took Specialization or Focus feats in.
Miko also had her horse at the time acting as a second combatant.

Miko beating the Order was more a fluke than a clear display of her power.

Yes, but she's still got some levels on them. She won a 5-on-1 fight of PC class against PC class, which is pretty tough to do even if the heavy hitter's at a disadvantage - she got lucky, but she also had to be up on their levels for it to be possible. Since celestial mounts are a class feature I consider them part of a paladin's regular attacks, because if you play a paladin and don't use your mount in combat whenever possible you're retarded. It's like a druid not taking natural spell. You slap some barding on that thing and you have a telepathically controlled extra attack per turn, and if you're feeling particularly nasty you can buff it ahead of the fight. You can flank with them, too. It's almost as beautiful as having a high charisma and divine grace, so you can laugh off basically any saving throw ever.

Miko is doing an over-the-edge paladin bit here. Convinced of her own righteousness she'll keep descending further and further into evil - I don't see her allying with Xyklon, or even necessarily Nale, but becoming a villain in her own right? Highly likely. Since she's batshit crazy she has the potential to delude herself into thinking her fall wasn't caused by her own actions, but some sort of evil intercession and whatnot. Crazy fallen paladins make great campaign villains.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with her attitude when she wakes up and has a chance to calm down some, though. Basically the only person left for her to try and denounce is Hinjo, which will go over like a lead balloon.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

The Fortdeadlykick posted:

If it was big, like teleporting a dragon into a city to avert a war, killing thousands of unstatted commoners then it would probably mean an alignment change.

Especially if you did it 35 minutes ago.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Parahexavoctal posted:

well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

An imperfect duplicate of love

Parahexavoctal posted:

...drat you for being awesome.