Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

Rando question but are there any plotholes in OOTS?

Or is the story that AIRTIGHT?

The story never resolved what happened with its main villain -- Elan's father!

That was a terrible ending!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zore posted:

I think the other big one is Familicide should probably have killed a lot more people than it did.

In our world it might have killed everyone. All of kingdom Animalia. We're all blood related through some ancient ancestor.

OttS world isn't that old. The 1/4 of black dragons that V killed were not blood relatives of the other 3/4, which is wild. The gods created some black dragons at the beginning of this world and many of them had never interbred.

One day millions of humans existed. And none of them were blood relations of anyone else.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Randalor posted:

...wasn't the whole point of V casting it BECAUSE it would be a very targeted genocide? Specifically V's lines about "Had you simply attacked me, I would have left it at this. But you dragged my family into it, so I'm making sure this can never happen again"?

Almost 700 comics ago.

According to the copyright, that strip is 15 years old...

What? :psyduck:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

girl dick energy posted:

I know the point of the whole section was mostly to show that V was arrogant and nowhere near deserving of the power they were after, but it's also really interesting as a look at another angle on a theme Rich touches on a few times. Specifically, the truly heinous things people are capable of when they feel like they're justified and in the right. Miko was following her holy mission, Redcloak is fighting against a cosmic injustice, etc.

Pretty sure that the "also..." here was the main point. Even the fiends very explicitly didn't expect V to do that, and also explicitly admitted they said the splice would give you Evil impulses as a lie to reduce inhibitions.

The idea that it is so easy to do great Evil when you think you're in the right and have an excuse was pretty blatantly his main thrust.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

oobey posted:

The story never resolved what happened with its main villain -- Elan's father!

That was a terrible ending!!!

i have your father of the year plaque, sir, where shall I put it?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New page - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1301.html

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Well, Calder's jaw isn't going to work quite right ever again.

Also, I suspect that this will mean that Bloodfeast isn't gonna leave this room alive. :smith:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

drat, V, you couldn't have waited just another second?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

V needed line of effect for the dispel, no?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I almost feel bad for Calder here. He's surrounded, outnumbered, and losing fairly hard.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
This specific situation again?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I almost feel bad for Calder here. He's surrounded, outnumbered, and losing fairly hard.
Yeah, but thing is - he's Serini's part mistakes coming back to haunt her - and she ain't the protagonist, but rather the previous gen, who know more about this stuff than our heroes.
I'm not a bard, but it doesn't bode well for her, no?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Staltran posted:

V needed line of effect for the dispel

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gun Jam posted:

This specific situation again?

Yeah, but thing is - he's Serini's part mistakes coming back to haunt her - and she ain't the protagonist, but rather the previous gen, who know more about this stuff than our heroes.
I'm not a bard, but it doesn't bode well for her, no?

Yeah I agree completely, I saw the shape of this scene as well.

Something like, Calder soon concludes that he's not making it out of this alive, and decides to take Serini down with him and at least get his revenge. This leaves the Order with just Sunny/Mimi as their guide through Serini's deathtrap maze.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Staltran posted:

V needed line of effect for the dispel, no?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask but one question: what's better, the rules or exploding a dragon with a dinosaur?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ConfusedUs posted:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask but one question: what's better, the rules or exploding a dragon with a dinosaur?

Counterpoint, V being eaten by a dragon and then exploding out is something that V has a history of doing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Capfalcon posted:

Counterpoint, V being eaten by a dragon and then exploding out is something that V has a history of doing.

I'd like the court to note that opposing counsel has confirmed precedent that exploding a dragon from within is, in fact, really loving cool and the character in question knows it.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

Calder just said he makes sure to thoroughly chew his food. I took that to mean he wouldn't swallow Bloodfeast until after the latter had been reduced to chunky salsa.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SKULL.GIF posted:

He’s probably healthier than the order right now honestly. Dragons at his age have tons of HP.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Also, looking at Bloodfeast's position... is Calder currently choking on his tail? Important questions we need to ask now are "Does V have polymorph prepared to make Bloodfeast pocket-sized again, and does Belkar have enough wisdom to pass a First Aid check to patch up his injuries?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ConfusedUs posted:

I'd like the court to note that opposing counsel has confirmed precedent that exploding a dragon from within is, in fact, really loving cool and the character in question knows it.

I mean, V diving into the dragon to get LOS would be even cooler, while still complying with the RAW.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Capfalcon posted:

I mean, V diving into the dragon to get LOS would be even cooler, while still complying with the RAW.

It would be, but look how beat up V is in the panel where they are casting. They'd probably die.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

oobey posted:

Calder just said he makes sure to thoroughly chew his food. I took that to mean he wouldn't swallow Bloodfeast until after the latter had been reduced to chunky salsa.

They might also need los to the target?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Randalor posted:

Also, looking at Bloodfeast's position... is Calder currently choking on his tail?

Bloodfeast's tail is between its legs and not down Calder's gullet.

MonsterEnvy posted:

He’s probably healthier than the order right now honestly. Dragons at his age have tons of HP.

The paladins can Lay On Hands Sunny, who would then be able to levitate them out of the pit and rejoin the fight. I think that'd tip the balance real quick.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Oh, yeah I too misread the picture too as the tail being inside Calder's throat. So at best they might have strained his jaw muscles?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thank you Rich for confirming the party could have done that at any time and were deliberately travelling with a carry on sized Bloodfeast.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

oobey posted:

If V dispelled the lizard chunky salsa, would it morph back to dinosaur chunk salsa?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Thank you Rich for confirming the party could have done that at any time and were deliberately travelling with a carry on sized Bloodfeast.

Specially V was being a bit petty and refusing to make Belkar happy.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Capfalcon posted:

It's good that V didn't do it immediately. If they had, then Bloodfeast wouldn't have been able to undo the Bottoms Up that Sunny did to the whole party in the Serini ambush. Y'know, because he wouldn't have been able to fit inside the cave. This is twice now that Belkar's animal companion(s), class feature or otherwise, have salvaged a party wipe.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

But would Bloodfeast be happy at full-size or at his Baleful size? You got to remember that as a wee lizard, he got to ride others for a change and it was probably a lot easier for him to fill his belly every night when it doesn't need a whole cow of meat.

We gotta ask the important questions here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's good that V didn't do it immediately. If they had, then Bloodfeast wouldn't have been able to undo the Bottoms Up that Sunny did to the whole party in the Serini ambush. Y'know, because he wouldn't have been able to fit inside the cave. This is twice now that Belkar's animal companion(s), class feature or otherwise, have salvaged a party wipe.
Three times, if you count Belkar's first reunion with Bloodfeast during BRitF.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I thought V didn't believe Bloodfeast was actually a dinosaur, since they weren't in the fight where Bloodfeast got transmogrified.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The X-man cometh posted:

I thought V didn't believe Bloodfeast was actually a dinosaur, since they weren't in the fight where Bloodfeast got transmogrified.

They literally just saw him turn into a lizard.

Oh, unless you meant as the reason for having dispel prepared, but honestly delving into a final dungeon against a magic user that's not the worst pick regardless.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh, unless you meant as the reason for having dispel prepared, but honestly delving into a final dungeon against a magic user that's not the worst pick regardless.
Especially when one has previously been on the receiving end of said magic user's dispel.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The X-man cometh posted:

Yeah they were. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0926.html

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Oh, nvm

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Cup Runneth Over posted:

To be fair, a full-sized dinosaur doesn't make a very good traveling companion.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm pretty sure it's probably just because no one thought of it and no one asked as there were larger concerns to be concerned with.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm pretty sure it's probably just because no one thought of it and no one asked as there were larger concerns to be concerned with.

Haven't they shown Blackwong talking to the other animals in the past?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Randalor posted:

Haven't they shown Blackwong talking to the other animals in the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
They have, but I don't think they've talked back.

While Bloodfeast's restoration didn't kerplode Calder's head, Calder's still gonna have a very painful time eating for the next long while. So goddamned cool.