Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

404GoonNotFound posted:

I do believe you meant:

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

Chaotic Good Heaven: Sure beats True Neutral Limbo.

Naw, CG heaven is Ysgard, Shojo is probably serving Thor his beer at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rantmo posted:

Bards are really more jack-of-all-trades types, they've got buffing powers but they also can do a bit of magic, a bit of rogueing, a bit of fighting, just none of it terribly well. They're by-and-large considered useless unless you have a large enough party. I've always been a fan of them, but they are tough unless you've got the right party configuration.

This is what Bards are supposed to be. In reality they're mediocre support types.

VoxPVoxD
Sep 5, 2005

bgaesop posted:

This is what Bards are supposed to be. In reality they're mediocre support types.

Sublime Chords are pretty sweet, as are Exalted Bards with Words of Creation and Harmony and Song of the Heart (+10 attack/damage for everyone what)

I like Bards and they can be really fun if you've got a DM who's not draconian about source material

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Elan could actually help out in a siege quite a bit.

SuperKlaus posted:

Christ, I'm sorry to all you readers who don't do D&D, I don't mean to go all Trad Games here but talking about the game is fun for me.
I don't think anyone should mind a bit of D&D talk on this thread.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leikr Elferston posted:

Elan could actually help out in a siege quite a bit.
I don't think anyone should mind a bit of D&D talk on this thread.

Especially not since we're discussing a D&D based comic.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

the_steve posted:

Especially not since we're discussing a D&D based comic.

And especially especially not because D&D is awesome :rock:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

Christ, I'm sorry to all you readers who don't do D&D, I don't mean to go all Trad Games here but talking about the game is fun for me.

I'm ok with people discussing it, like the_steve said it's a D&D based comic! I just get annoyed by the people who think that everything that happens in the comic needs to be completely grounded within the ruleset of a D&D world. It's not the end-all-beat-all reasoning for every itty-bitty thing that happens.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Werle posted:

And especially especially not because D&D is awesome :rock:

:dance: And cross-pollenation of nerding is crucial.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cowcaster posted:

I'm ok with people discussing it, like the_steve said it's a D&D based comic! I just get annoyed by the people who think that everything that happens in the comic needs to be completely grounded within the ruleset of a D&D world. It's not the end-all-beat-all reasoning for every itty-bitty thing that happens.

yeah I have to say, speaking as someone who doesn't play D&D (but is familiar with the D&D ruleset) I came into this thread expecting a discussion on the comic, not on whether or not 3.5 supports critical fumbles and what level Paladin Miko is or was.

I guess it's more of I was thinking "mostly comic, less D&D" discussion instead of "hardcore D&D discussion oh hey there's a comic." Nothing wrong with talking shop, just a lot more than I expected.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Feel free to talk about the comic instead of talking about other people talking about DnD, if you want. :v:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Cowcaster posted:

Except for the strips where the D & D rules ARE the punchline. :rimshot:

VoxPVoxD
Sep 5, 2005
Every D&D game I've ever seen has taken liberties with the rules; they've ignored some, changed others, used and dropped a few as the vagaries of the situation called for it. It'd be silly to expect less out of a comic, especially in situations where it could hamstring the author.

Any predictions about what's gonna happen today?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Either Miko meets the Linear Guild in an adjoining cell, or Roy/hinjo exposition. Betting on the former, but maybe both since Wednesdays are long strip days, it seems.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
You know, maybe Miko dies in the near future and becomes some kind of undead obsessed with getting revenge on the OOTS. She has the rage.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

clockworkjoe posted:

You know, maybe Miko dies in the near future and becomes some kind of undead obsessed with getting revenge on the OOTS. She has the rage.

I'm starting to think that maybe she has a moment of clarity and either sacrifices herself as a hero or surrenders peacefully. This may well be a redemption arc, even with her previous bitch behavior.

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.
The problem with all the speculation on what Miko is going to do is that whatever options end up being chosen, they'll seem to be so "obvious." It's sort of similair to all the Harry Potter discussion. If Harry Potter dies at the end of the next book, everyone can say "Well, of COURSE he died, we've been saying that for two years." However, if he lives everyone can say "Well, of COURSE he lived. How dumb would it be to kill Harry Potter?"

It's the same here. If Miko gets redeemed in a atonement story arc or flies into the sun like Hal Jordan, it'll be obvious. And if she turns into a Blackguard, everyone can say they had thought of that twist ages ago.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Human posted:

The problem with all the speculation on what Miko is going to do is that whatever options end up being chosen, they'll seem to be so "obvious." It's sort of similair to all the Harry Potter discussion. If Harry Potter dies at the end of the next book, everyone can say "Well, of COURSE he died, we've been saying that for two years." However, if he lives everyone can say "Well, of COURSE he lived. How dumb would it be to kill Harry Potter?"

It's the same here. If Miko gets redeemed in a atonement story arc or flies into the sun like Hal Jordan, it'll be obvious. And if she turns into a Blackguard, everyone can say they had thought of that twist ages ago.

There is option three. Where she becomes a crazed barbarian or something. Who knows.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

An imperfect duplicate of love

Human posted:

If Miko gets redeemed in a atonement story arc or flies into the sun like Hal Jordan, it'll be obvious.

Actually, Parallax-Miko would be cool. Imagine her with cosmic-level power!

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Human posted:

So... You're predicting that Miko will show up in a year or two, fight a magic space bug, and cleanse Paladining of evil?

Miko would instantly become my favorite character if she used the Green Lantern oath, or even better, Hal's.

"From the shoulder,
To the wrist,
Watch out Evil,
It's my fist!"

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

clockworkjoe posted:

Like a Revenant? I'm not good with DnD stuff, but the concept is probably the same as in WoW. It'd actually be pretty cool to set her up as a becoming a Blackguard, which I assume is an Earth-3 Paladin, and then have her die with the whole arc capped off by her sudden reappearance as a pissed off zombie/ghost thing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
:siren:New Strip is Up:siren:
So yeah, that was pretty retarded of Soon.
Why not keep the bitch up in a safeguard?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd have put it under the throne or something persnoally. Same effect Soon was going for, but less chance of something silly like that happening.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

tsob posted:

I'd have put it under the throne or something persnoally. Same effect Soon was going for, but less chance of something silly like that happening.

I don't think interior decorating its a paladin class skill, give the dude a break.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was more replying to Calaveron's probably rhetorical question than critisizing the comic.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That was a pretty funny strip.

If anyone ever gets a Roy avatar, it needs the title text "Whine, whine, whine, I'm Roy and I want more plot points!"

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

HitTheTargets posted:

Like a Revenant? I'm not good with DnD stuff, but the concept is probably the same as in WoW. It'd actually be pretty cool to set her up as a becoming a Blackguard, which I assume is an Earth-3 Paladin, and then have her die with the whole arc capped off by her sudden reappearance as a pissed off zombie/ghost thing.
You mean a death knight. Where do you think blizzard got that idea from?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Calaveron posted:

:siren:New Strip is Up:siren:
So yeah, that was pretty retarded of Soon.
Why not keep the bitch up in a safeguard?

I would think that being at the center of the stronghold of an order of paladins is a safeguard.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Semiru posted:

That was a pretty funny strip.

If anyone ever gets a Roy avatar, it needs the title text "Whine, whine, whine, I'm Roy and I want more plot points!"

We can't all be straight men you know. Some of us tell jokes for a living.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Why I think the Snarl's Sapphire is where it is:

Hojo said the castle was built around the sapphire, and that the gate was above the skies of Azure City.
They never moved the gate because they can't. They built the tower, and at the top where the gate is, they put the throne.
Sure, they could have made the place a floor higher or something, but it wouldn't have done much good. If the tower falls, the gate sapphire would go right with it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Leikr Elferston posted:

You mean a death knight. Where do you think blizzard got that idea from?

But Death Knights are enslaved to the Lich King's will while Revenants are wholly separate from the Scourge, and daemonic necromancy too for that matter. Which is important to take into consideration if Miko is animated by her own sheer rage for the OotS and not Xykon's doing.

And now we're discussing the finer points of another game entirely. WACKY!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

HitTheTargets posted:

But Death Knights are enslaved to the Lich King's will while Revenants are wholly separate from the Scourge, and daemonic necromancy too for that matter. Which is important to take into consideration if Miko is animated by her own sheer rage for the OotS and not Xykon's doing.

And now we're discussing the finer points of another game entirely. WACKY!

Death Knights in D&D can arise and act independently. Also, in D&D Paladins that have had a dramatic fall from grace can become Death Knights as a result of their actions. An example of that is Lord Soth, who is the archetypal Death Knight in D&D.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
:siren: New strip is up! :siren:

Not much to say really, it just moves the story along a bit. I am stuck with the strangely compelling image of Elan whistling as he swims in a pool filled with hobgoblins now though, and I don't think it'll leave soon.

tsob fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 10, 2007

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

tsob posted:

:siren: New strip is up! :siren:

Not much to say really, it just moves the story along a bit. I am stuck with the strangely compelling image of Elan whistling as he swims in a pool filled with hobgoblins now though, and I don't think it'll leave soon.

I guess I didn't pick up on it earlier, but Belkar is going back to prison now that Hinjo overheard Roy & the dead guy talking about the ruse. Him and Miko alone while the rest of city fights off a hobgoblin hoard, an evil mage, a lich, and something under an umbrella. Belkar and Miko, alone together.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm beginning to think we'll never find out what's under that umbrella. And after 400 + strips about it, I don't think anything he could reveal would be all that good at this stage, either as a climax, or an anti-climax.

Also, I'm a bit sad to see that Elan seems to have abondoned his banjo (instrument). He needs to get something like the Six-String Samurai, with the sword integrated into the body of the guitar.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

tsob posted:

I'm beginning to think we'll never find out what's under that umbrella. And after 400 + strips about it, I don't think anything he could reveal would be all that good at this stage, either as a climax, or an anti-climax.

Also, I'm a bit sad to see that Elan seems to have abondoned his banjo (instrument). He needs to get something like the Six-String Samurai, with the sword integrated into the body of the guitar.

I'm pretty sure Elan plays a lute, not a banjo. Bards do not play banjos.

Also, if he were to adopt a random instrument weapon as a hype/pop culture reference, especially after just receiving a +3 rapier from Captain Scoundrel, it would be incredibly, mind bogglingly lame.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

tsob posted:

Buddy's guitar and sword were separate, though :confused:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Not just a +3 rapier, either, but a +3 keen rapier.

I can't remember whether keen doubles a weapon's crit range or just expands it by 1, but either way, that's a crazy crit range. 16-20 or 17-20.

RazedByNatives
Jul 1, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Not just a +3 rapier, either, but a +3 keen rapier.

I can't remember whether keen doubles a weapon's crit range or just expands it by 1, but either way, that's a crazy crit range. 16-20 or 17-20.

it doubles the crit range.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fuego Fish posted:

Buddy's guitar and sword were separate, though :confused:

Hmmm...must have been thinking of something else so in that case. Either way, the werle it was meant as a joke, not as a serious suggestion which I was demanding the author take or I'd hunt him down and egg him or something.

Also, Elan playing a lute makes a lot more sense. I was gonna go with that, but what with him revering Banjo, I went with that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

tsob posted:

Hmmm...must have been thinking of something else so in that case. Either way, the werle it was meant as a joke, not as a serious suggestion which I was demanding the author take or I'd hunt him down and egg him or something.

Also, Elan playing a lute makes a lot more sense. I was gonna go with that, but what with him revering Banjo, I went with that instead.

No man he's called Banjo because HE plays the banjo, duh :rolleyes:

edit: The comic in question

RickoniX fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 10, 2007