Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Paladin's class description posted:

Code of Conduct: A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act. Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
She certainly disrespected Shojo, what with bisecting him in half. Not to mention that she attacked a defenseless old man that registered as Good.
I seriously hope she loses her Paladinhood, then tries taking on the Order of the Stick with no Paladin abilities, gets her rear end kicked, thrown into jail with Nale/turned into a Blackguard by Xykon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

bgaesop posted:

What, you mean that they're stick figures or did you mean the in-game reason? Because in the comic they refer to themselves as the Order of the Stick, but we haven't learned why, unless I missed something.

They call themselves that because when they at first formed the group, they couldn't decide on a name, quarreling ensues. Roy sarcastically suggests Order of the Stick adter a branch he picked up, and it took.
It's on the "On the Origin of PCs" book.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Rincewind posted:

Oh, I didn't know one of the goblins was a paladin-- I haven't read the archives all the way through, so I assumed that the evil goblin slayer guy was the paladin, and you were being sarcastic. I'll have to finally start reading Goblins regularly.

There's this dwarf (not Minmax's partner) who is a complete and utter murdering douchebag paladin.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Jonked posted:

She has a Celestial Mount, so at least Level 5 Paladin, plus at least 1 level of Monk. However, she was capable of single-handedly taking down the party, san Durkon. On the other hand, it's pretty clear that the fight was 'on rails', since the weather affected Haley's shooting. Weather rules, although they exist, aren't often used in D&D, except for spells and when the GM wants them to matter.

So, probably a level or 2 higher than party.

EDIT: Actually, since she has Evasion, that means she is at least Monk 2/Paladin 5

Based on some evidence (V charging 360 GPs to cast Fireball, considering it costs 30 times the level of the spellcaster, seen here, Durkon being able to use the Control Weather spell and being able to case resurrect a whole lot of times) I'd set the level frame of the party somewhere around 13-14, Miko being more or less around that level, too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Is it just me or does it look Miko is about to attack Belkar?
Remember what the Oracle let slip about Belkar?
...Yeah...
Then again, he has to cause the death of either Miko, Windstriker, or the Oracle before he dies himself.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Beaver Patrol posted:

Well, Durkon will die. Belkar just kills someone.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html
Eitherway, if Belkar bites it, I'll be sad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Spaceship Zero posted:

I don't recall, but did Rich ever explain why Durkon was exiled?

I don't remember where I read it, but he was exiled because the hih priest if Thor had a vision that if Durkon were to hang out in Dwarven lands some more death and destruction would strike them.
The way I see it, if Durkon returns to dwarven lands, he'll be followed by Xykon and friends, then he'll die there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

gothfae posted:

well played.

I don't get it :smogon:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Sneee posted:

So I've noticed no-one's leveled up for a while, and last time they did any real adventuring they weren't able to take down too many goblins at once, or a bandit sorceress/fighter, or... well, not too much besides the linear guild and a couple of monsters thrown in at a time. So how, exactly are they going to be use during the seige on Azure city? Really, only Vaarsuvius and Durkon are in the higher levels, and although Roy's competent in a fight, this is a lot of people. I'm curious how Elan and Haley will play out in battle, though. And I've got no idea what to expect with Belkar.

I suppose I'll find out; that's what I'm looking forward to, seeing how that plays out. Oh, that and what happens with Pompey and whats-his-name.

Belkar's a pretty competent murdering Ranger/Barbarian, Elan's proved himself to be competent on a one-on-one fight, as has Haley.
I'm pretty sure they'll survive.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:siren:New Strip is Up:siren:
So yeah, that was pretty retarded of Soon.
Why not keep the bitch up in a safeguard?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Son of a bitch, it pisses me off so much when it takes him this long to update, considering he had the whole weekend to work on the loving thing <:mad:>

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh god I'm sorry Rich everything is forgiven :cry:
Love the combination of DnD jokes, characterization, and that little bit of slapstick in that final panel.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Seriously, can't the Erfworld guy do exposition in some better, more original way than pulling a Doogie Howser? Christ.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ZorbaTHut posted:

I also think the whole "I'm clearly not part of this world, I wonder if I can use that" gimmick could turn out to be pretty neat. Overall this comic is still in my Benefit Of The Doubt file - the guy's got some pacing issues and some wall-of-text issues, as well as the occasional creepy-in-the-bad-way section, but I'm waiting to see what happens with the universe and the plot. I'm pretty sure that the entire comic is not going to consist of defending a castle from enemy forces, and I'm not going to give up on it until it becomes clear that's wrong or it turns out to be awful once outside the castle.

Well, it's been over 40 pages, 4 of them being enormous wall-of-texts one, and so far, the only thing we know is this:
Gobwin Knob is a strategic military stronghold.
Royals might be bad. Or Stan might be bad, who knows.
Blonde girl and sorceress girl share a creepy, lesbian past.
The main character is a fat disgusting slob who is good at strategies.
The arkentools are weapons forged by the gods.

Five plot points in 44 strips. That is not good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It was still a pretty bad rear end strip.
Seriously, we've seen everyone shining through in battle except for Elan, but he's a bard so it doesn't matter.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It's not showing for me, goddammit.

EDIT: 'ere we are!
Now we know Burlew will leave us hanging for a week or two, showing us what's up with the borefests that are Elan and Haley's situation.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 17, 2007

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Jesus, that Meteor Swarm must've HURT.

I mean, compare it to how Magic Missile was drawn some 330 strips ago.
Great advancement in the artwork.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:siren:NEW STRIP IS UP:siren:

MOTHERFUCKER, NO!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Hay guys so wut alinement is Belker :downs:.

Love it when webcomic authors just get furious and set stupid forum speculators right.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

And yet those stupid forum speculators still kept debating it, even after he told them how it is. There was like one thread about it a week up until the strip with Belkar's two evil consciences.

Honestly, if I ever start my own webcomic the one thing I'll never do is attach them to an official forum, just like how Achewood has no official forum (that I know of).
Though Achewood has an unofficial forum somewhere out there, which loving sucks.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 26, 2007

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
They're really going out of their way to make sure the Erfworld guy is the most repugnant and least likeable main character ever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh god the site went down someone please post the strip in waffleimage please please please.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:siren:New strip is up.:siren:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
If I were Rich Burlew I'd be closing my forums right about now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
New Erfworld, too.
The loving retarded cutesy names for poo poo really riles me up. It makes the whole strip unreadable.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

It took me a while to start reading Goblins because I just can't stand how that guy draws goblins - they're these weird blobby alien things whereas everything else is more or less normal.

Once I got bored enough to read through the archive and get past the mandatorily lame "I didn't realize this would turn into a serious story" early gags, though, it began to grow on me and now I awaiting the next update :unsmith:

Honestly, the comic started as a pretty good gag-a-strip webcomic, but then he hit us with comics like the one where Fumbles accidentally attacks that elvish child or any strip with the evil dwarf paladin (particularly the one where Taps and Asks die).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Here's something to tide you over while he updates the strip

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So, is Burlew dead now or what? I mean, it's been now almost a week and no comic, no blurb on the front page, nothing on the forums (oh god how do I hate his forums).
What gives?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I really miss the strips that had a punchline other than "lol Elan".

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 3, 2008

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Jesus Christ can we please just get the Order back together and move on with the plot?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Maldraedior posted:

hey, Goblins has a guaranteed update on Friday! because he decided not to post the lastest two-pager all at once...

I also guarantee he will have some computer issues come Thursday mid-morning.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Is V drying out and about to crack or are those veins or what?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
New strip is up.
Waffle images won't work so here's a direct link.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Personally, I just want them to take down Kubota. Dude isn't a particularly charismatic villain, and he's as likable as say, Miko.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Now THAT is going from Neutral to Chaotic in a few actions.
Granted, V's been getting grosser and more chaotic-looking over quite some time now, but that definitely seals the deal.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I just like to think Burlew is using V as the avatar of most of the e-mails he gets and is sort of admitting the whole Azure City thing is the worst thing ever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Donraj posted:

I thought he said that he actively avoids reading speculatin just because he knows he would get that urge if he knew someone predicted it and wants to avoid that?

In his forum, all speculation must be spoiler-tagged and I think, confined to a single thread.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Vicissitude posted:

Does this mean that we might get some sort of actual character advancement in Belkar? I wonder if he'll take a level in a different class to represent that. Possibly rogue, to make him generally more clever skill-wise.

Ranger-Barbarian-Rogue? Isn't that spreading his killing points too thin?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

He's already a ranger with low Wisdom who didn't bother to put points in Survival or call an animal companion. I'd say character optimization isn't Belkar's strong suit.

How would Survival help him kill? How would calling an animal companion help him kill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Yea, I like the arrangement and the presentation, but that sure is a lot of :words: that I'm not sure I see the point of. On the other hand I'm glad its not a 'Meanwhile, back in...' interrupt, so I'm happy to run with it.
Means Belkar will "forget" to be affected so severely by the mark of justice so he can help out Haley and Celia.