Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd never seen or heard of this till a few days ago, when I saw threads for it popping up in /co/ on 4chan, and was shocked to see very little posts condemning, critisizing or mocking the comic. This actually shocked me enough that I had to read it.

Read through all 407 in work over 2 days, and have to say I love it. Trying to spread it to my flatmates now. I don't see what all the Miko bitching is about though, I like her as a character in that she provides an interesting foil to the OotS. But that may be because I'm only new to this and didn't have to toil through months of her, so that could be just bias...

Oh, and I am the only one who finds themselves using The Monarch's voice when reading Xychon's lines? I can't help it, but when I realised what I was doing it made me want an OotS cartoon, or even just a Xychon flash or something :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gothfae posted:

My big thing is sometimes I don't feel comfortable recommending it, even though I love it, because you have to be a certain level of gaming geek to really get all the funny. And now I will hear his voice like that always.

I don't know about that. I've never played any D&D or anything, and any familiarity I have with it is based purely on the few RPG's I'd have played on my PC, mostly a few months of WoW, and while I know that at times I'm missing jokes, or don't get one's, I still find a lot of humour in it.

My flatmates on the other hand have played a lot of it if I remember rightly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wex Major posted:

People with inherent conflicts of interest make poor disciples. If her motivations are good then there's no way that evil gods are going to give her spells and poo poo. Miko has a lot of character flaws, but being evil is not one of them.

You do realise that what you've just described as impossible is pretty much exactly how Jedi fall and become Sith right? If it works in that case, I fail to see why it wouldn't in the case of D&D, though admittedly I'm not familiar with the rules and play. Still, power corrupts...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wex Major posted:

I don't know where the whole Paladin = Jedi and Blackguard = Sith thing came from, but it's not really applicable.

I wasn't imply a connection between the two, just citing a similiar example.

And, I have to disagree with what you said. I think that a Dark God would, like Belkar gain much amusement and satisfaction from corrupting a pure person, and getting them to do their deeds, and bringing them to their side. Sure, there isn't a connection a la the force they can use to naturally corrupt them, but what they can do is give them promises, power, and say the right things, all behind a false face.

If Miko thinks she's working for someone of good intentions, and is given new power to do what she already thinks needs to be done, and becomes corrupt via her actions, and such, I don't see how it could fail to be believable.

Though in saying that, I prefer the redemption option someone mentioned on the previous page. I'd love to see her turn back from the brink, become a sympathetic character, and become, over the course of the comic, an actual humble and likable person, and once more a Paladin.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wex Major posted:

Unless Miko turns out to actually be evil instead of just misguided and arrogant (which is entirely possible), turning her into a Blackguard without any sort of deliberate mind control or brainwashing would be lame and contrived, not to mention cliche.

I think I at least, and probably several other people are going to have to agree to disagree with you on that point. Done well, having her turn Blackgaurd or what have you via falsehoods preying on her inherent arrogance and Paladin upbringing and faith would not only be believable, but a good story.

Of course, done badly it would be a disaster as you say, but that's true of anything.

Also, EVERYTHING is a cliche at this point. You could not suggest one possible story, scenario or outcome that isn't a cliche to some degree or other, so I really don't think that's a valid point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
At least she admits that she needs to think about this, and figure out what's going wrong. Which wasn't helped by Roy getting up in her face, and mocking the poo poo out of her. Belkar was great in it though, and I really hope he tries something on Miko next strip, just to see what'll happen to him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheHeadSage posted:

It took me 30 seconds, then I got it. I feel no shame for laughing.

Care to fill the some of the rest of us in? I don't get it at all :(

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

I just skimmed the Giant in the Playground forums and there's a bunch of people bitching and moaning about Roy attacking Miko and shouting snappy one liners instead of trying to be nice to her :gonk:

I just spent the last good while saying Roy was wrong on 4chan :)

I said I'd do it there rather than here, as it was likely to get quite heated and long and drama bomby, and I'd rather not poo poo up the thread with it. 4chan on the other hand, is nothing but that, so where's the harm.

Thing is, I quite like Roy, I just think he went about this badly, and the whole situation went bad because of it. Then again, I quite like Miko too, so...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just read the post on it on 4chan, no way I'm bringing that drama-bomb in here.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Werle posted:

I wouldn't read 4chan if you paid AND linked me.

Fair enough, someone else can defend her here so, I'm certainly not gonna start that. Most of the defense (of Roy's actions) on 4chan was just name calling, and people completely ignoring lots of points. As much as I like BSS, I expect the same would happen here, at least to a degree, since people seem to really hate her and/or love Roy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Like I said, I'm not getting dragged into that debate, no matter how much I want, and I think the last few replies are proof enough that's a good decision. I said I wanted to avoid it, and this was followed by several posts condemning her absolutely and justifying Roy's actions on every level.

I do wish to say though that I think Miko is the least realistic of the villians in the comic. Nale, and to a lesser degree Xykon are much more realistic because they know what they're doing is bad, freely admit it, and have a reason they keep doing it. I don't think most real murderers etc. are under the impression they're right. A few are, but not most.

Miko would be the exception, and more to the point, the laymen taken to extremes. Most people commit small illegal acts be it jay-walking, petty theft or whatever on a regular basis and justify themselves, and that's her taken to the highest order, and thus unrealistic.

Nale and certain members of his first crew are much more realistic in that they know they're bad, and have resolved that they're doing it for whatever reason. Like that dwarf girl for a start.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 1, 2007

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
poo poo, quoted instead of edited. Sorry.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dammit Who? posted:

Of course, this is just me guessing based on what I remember of psychology, but yeah.

Meh, I probably am wrong. Especially if someone who's done even a small bit of actual psychology study says so. I've never looked into that kind of thing at all. I'm just going on personal experience and popular entertainment.

Lafarga posted:

With this one line you've convinced me that I certainly don't want to have a conversation with you, now or in the future.

Well, aren't you a happy pappy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I watched a load of season 4 of Babylon 5 today after I went home from work and was just wondering...in one episode (6 I think) Sheridan refers to the Vorlons and Shadows as "Giants in the Playground". Is this where the sites name originates, or is the saying more popular than I know in other parts of the world?

I've just never heard it before, and it kinda jumped out at me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Leikr Elferston posted:

I'm not sure it's unique to B5, I doubt it, you could probably ask on his forums and maybe get an answer.

That implies going through a lot of effort to sign up, and I don't think I care that much. Besides, it was already answered.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RickoniX posted:

I don't know if this was the answer you got, but in the FAQ he specifically states that reference is where he got his name.

Oh hey, you're right. I just took SuperKlaus' answer back at the end of page 5 as the truth, but that's pretty cool. Just one more reason to like the comic :awesome:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
New comic is out, and it's aces. Hinjo shows how awesome he is, Miko shows how psyco she is, and Roy gets to be sarky about the way me and other people were condemning his actions in the last comic. I'm just annoyed Belkar didn't try attacking her to see what would happen, for the hilarity.

I wonder what Miko will do now.

Edit: I'm shocked Hinjo did so badly against her though, I didn't think she was that powerful, but I'm completely unfamiliar to D&D, so I suppose that's to be expected.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 3, 2007

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cowcaster posted:

Anyone else unable to connect to the site?

I had a lot of trouble getting the actual picture to load when I went to see if it had updated, so I think so.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd have put it under the throne or something persnoally. Same effect Soon was going for, but less chance of something silly like that happening.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was more replying to Calaveron's probably rhetorical question than critisizing the comic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
:siren: New strip is up! :siren:

Not much to say really, it just moves the story along a bit. I am stuck with the strangely compelling image of Elan whistling as he swims in a pool filled with hobgoblins now though, and I don't think it'll leave soon.

tsob fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 10, 2007

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm beginning to think we'll never find out what's under that umbrella. And after 400 + strips about it, I don't think anything he could reveal would be all that good at this stage, either as a climax, or an anti-climax.

Also, I'm a bit sad to see that Elan seems to have abondoned his banjo (instrument). He needs to get something like the Six-String Samurai, with the sword integrated into the body of the guitar.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fuego Fish posted:

Buddy's guitar and sword were separate, though :confused:

Hmmm...must have been thinking of something else so in that case. Either way, the werle it was meant as a joke, not as a serious suggestion which I was demanding the author take or I'd hunt him down and egg him or something.

Also, Elan playing a lute makes a lot more sense. I was gonna go with that, but what with him revering Banjo, I went with that instead.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, if a bolt of lightning from on high AND the loss of her Paladin powers doesn't make her reach for atonement I don't think a chat with Belkar and/or a few days in a jail cell will do anything for her. She's going someplace dark before she's going anywhere nice and bright.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Werle posted:

This reenforces my guess about Redcloak, he's getting awfully emotionally invested in this.

Woo! More Teevo, I love that little guy, so expressive.

I think Rich is just fleshing out Redcloak now though, since before he was just another minion at the end of the day really. Now he's finally doing poo poo on his own. I don't think he'll die. Or at least, I don't want him to die.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well given more screen time, and a slight bit more of a visible personality then.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Ah gently caress. Well now that we know that THAT clone's not actually Xykon

We do? What tells us that?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really don't see how that speech to Roy is lame, I think it's one of the best in the strip so far, and it re-affirmed my love for Xykon as the best character in the strip. Plus that ending is all kinds of awesome.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ferrinus posted:

Hell, witness the one in this very thread, back around when the strips about Roy beating the hell out of Fallen Miko were posted. I forget their name, but someone was unhappy about the majority of comic readers "absolutely denouncing" (or whatever) Miko and excusing all of Roy's horrible crimes and god Miko's actions are so unrealistic.

That'd be me you're referring to I think. I can't even remember what I was arguing about her at the time, and I'm too lazy to check, plus hell, who wants to get into that shitfest again, honestly?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why were Durkon and Haley so upset about Roy's death? Is there some reason they can't just rez him like nothing happened later?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder if there are any talented goons who'd want to take a shot at that song, cause that's just awesome :shobon:

Edit: Is that the first time Elan's actually done something useful as a bard then? Most of the rest of the time he just seems to annoy Roy with silly ditties.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

spoonboy posted:

EDIT: Danny Boy is ridiculously hard to sing well, though. I don't really have the range to pull it off. Well, I just can't hit that drat high note.

So between you and The Werle we've got a good shot at either getting a great version, or a hilarious version. Either way - we win.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GigaPeon posted:

Does the Sapphire Guard currently have an justification for guarding an empty throne room? Normally they'd be told to defend the old man, but he's dead.

Bureaucracy and tradition I suppose. They've always done it, so they will always do it, even if it doesn't really make sense.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't think that's European monitary denominations he's using, cause I'm Irish and I'm completely lost too - must be Swahili or something, trading in beads and peebles :confused:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

rantmo posted:

Even though the discussion on it has started

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP! :siren:

What's the line the evil creature under the umbrella refers to about? I don't get it at all :confused:

Edit: Thanks Shelper.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 4, 2007

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wow, that was certainly unexpected. My love and respect for Xykon as a villian just grows and grows. He keeps topping himself :awesome:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Women's Rights? posted:

She deserved it. :colbert:

Though it does seem a little odd that Redcloak would basically sentence her to death right after having a change of heart about letting the Hobgoblins sacrifice themselves just because he's irritated about having to do paperwork.

Redcloak does still have his hate on for humans though, and I guess he hates them enough he doesn't want to be working with one or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Efreet saiid posted:

everybody hates mystic theurges anyway. They would be pretty useful in a war, though.

What exactly can they do then out of interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The art in that first panel is pretty god drat awesome, and I totally missed Xykon and Redcloak flying away the first time I looked at it I was so mesmerized by all the explodiness.

In other news, I see Belkar still has his skull of fear and flame, and I really hope Elan leads the Order for a short while based on his and Haley's plan.