Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

maltesh posted:

WHether or not Hinjo is alive is an important question to a large number of people, and so i imagine a lot of people are watching him, both in person, and through agents.

On the other hand, anyone who's actually on the wall would probably be able to see that that was an illusion, given what Elan had them saying, and how their bodies disappeared after falling off the wall.

Also, they could probably see Elan and Haley from that angle.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'll freely admit I laughed, but drat if I didn't want some more plot progression than this.

Redcloak has used up several of his more dangerous spells, though, so there's that.

Quarex posted:

since nobody ever wants to play the stupid cleric.

One of the telltale signs of the truly high-level AD&D numbercrunching wonder munchkin is realizing that clerics are and always have been terrifically overpowered.

This was particularly true in second edition, where a 14th-level cleric with the Nature sphere got the most horrifyingly dangerous spell in the game.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 24, 2007

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Clerics, while numerically powerful, are really tedious to play.

In second edition, they had the second-best THAC0, full rights to the best armor they could possibly find, huge amounts of defensive magic, tons of bonus spells assuming you were smart enough to have a high score in your prime requisite, and several of the biggest gently caress-you spells in the game. Why yes, I would like to cast hold person three times a day at level three. Then there were poison, harm, creeping doom, flame strike, prayer, protection from fire/lightning, charm person, heat/chill metal... and that's off the top of my head.

In a weak attempt to counterbalance this, they couldn't use piercing or slashing weapons. Big deal. 1d6+1 is not that much worse than 1d8.

In third edition, they get even better buff spells than they had before, and unless your DM runs screaming from the concept like he arguably should, they get divine metamagic, which is one of the scariest loving things in the game if you use it right.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Unless they were introduced in a sourcebook I didn't read, there were no monks in second edition. Are you thinking about first edition?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'll say it again for the grins: why do people keep talking about second-edition monks? Monk was not a class in second edition.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hey, the new strip's up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

"phylactery" :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's stuff like that which is why I hate being able to buy magic items on the open market.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The ghosts are incorporeal, though. Does it matter where he stands?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't like the idea, but it's pretty obvious that Burlew wants her to be hated 24/7, since he goes to extremes to make her appear foolish and be responsible for bad things. Redcloak and Xykon are more likeable than her, for crying out loud.

I'm sort of working on a theory where the more people on Burlew's forum complain that Miko is a misunderstood character, the more two-dimensional he makes her.

It's sort of like how Belkar has been getting steadily more and more overtly evil as time goes on, because people on Burlew's forum thought he was CN despite all evidence to the contrary.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm beginning to believe that Miko is, in a term from KoDT, lawful stupid. Or perhaps lawful voluntarily deluded.

Okay, so... refresh my memory. I was thinking for a moment that Miko smashing the gem would result in an explosion, but I was confusing that with the self-destruct rune from the end of the first arc. She just basically opened a really tiny gate for the Snarl, right?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wasn't the explosion from Dorukan's gate a result of the rune Elan triggered, rather than the result of the gate's destruction?

clockworkjoe posted:

Also, Miko will evade the explosion and live on to the next stage of the campaign. Which is bullshit but whatever.

I would accept this if it was played as a joke about how occasionally retarded Evasion can be.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Quarex posted:

Knights of the Dinner Table did not coin that term, nor did it ever have a single shred of loving worth in its entire goddamn lovely ultra-worthless run. The artist/writer is a talentless piece of dog poo poo whose drivel should have never been produced.

No, really; tell me how you feel about Knights of the Dinner Table, Quarex.

If it makes you feel better, I will say rather that I first encountered the term there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm beginning to wonder if the last couple of major delays have arisen from a last-minute rewrite or two.

Apparently, one of the published OotS books claims that Miko's around for the long haul, but I really couldn't fault Burlew if he'd decided to kill her off permanently as a reaction to how loving insane she makes the readers.

The entire Azure City plotline, in fact, has been full of weird little in-jokes or side references that seem to have come directly from forum conversations, like the poisoned arrow or Tsukiko finding Miko's body.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I could see Hinjo and O'chul joining the group, at least in the short term.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Miko has been around for, what, near 300 strips now? Less if you disregard her days as "cloaked figure?" I would comfortably call that a long haul.

Now, I don't know this for myself, but people on the boards are claiming that one of the OotS books mentions that Miko will be around until the end of the strip. YMMV.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hinjo's still perfectly intelligent. He saw the sense in an opposing argument and changed his mind accordingly. It would naturally be hard for a guy who was all about his duty to forsake it, even if it's only for the short term.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The new strip is up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Admittedly, back in second edition, the terrasque was more or less unstoppable, especially since 90% of the spells in the game bounced off of it. I remember wiling away a few afternoons with my gaming group trying to figure out how you'd beat the drat thing, and it seemed like every gamer I ran into had a pet theory on it.

Mine involved a few dozen well-equipped archers with movement-enhancing items, while a friend's involved a flying citadel and dropping walls of stone.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

bgaesop posted:

The Tarrasque can be taken down in one round: harm/finger of death/any other death effect => something to make sure it's at -30 => miracle/wish it to stay dead.

Finger of death is a ray, isn't it? No dice.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Wasn't it male fighters only?

In first edition, female characters got lower Strength than male characters across the board. I believe they went ahead and got rid of that rule in second edition, although I could be mistaken.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

That's the weird thing; the ranger is based mostly on Aragorn and Legolas, neither of whom used two-weapon fighting in the books, at least not that I can remember.

I think the original two-weapon fighting ability was to encourage people playing a ranger to stay in light armor, since they couldn't use that class ability if they were in anything lighter than studded leather.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Kojiro posted:

Oh why would anyone put a giant block of text like that in there :(

Yeah, that's a little clumsy. You could've made it just as effective without the block of text, with maybe one expository balloon. He could've said something pretty easily like "You murdered her and took her axe, without knowing her axe could never hurt another paladin." Then he could've explained it later in fewer words to one of his buddies.

Still, I agree with Lurdiak.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Robot Bastard posted:

Xykon: Why hasn't anyone suggested John DiMaggio?

I went all free-association off of that one, and now I sort of want to see John C. McGinley in full-blown Dr. Cox sarcasm barrage mode as Xykon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Order of the Stick: Now Leaving Azure City

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Order of the Stick: Countdown to Adventurers

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

God drat, but Eugene Greenhilt needs a beating, or at least a muzzle.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Weren't you guys going to start a new thread when the strip started back up again?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, that's in On the Origin of PCs.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, I thought that was a nice touch. Eugene knows Roy wouldn't buy the truth, so he's giving him a lie that he knows Roy will believe.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Remember how I said Eugene needed a beating?

Done and done.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The problem with discussing the AD&D afterlife is that there's what Planescape teaches you, and then there's what everything else says is true. I think the Realms does something with dead souls assembling on the murky plains of Myrkul's realm before being sent off to wherever they belong, but that was years ago, and the Realms' gods have been in a lot of flux since then.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It isn't in Origin of PCs or Start of Darkness.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Looking at the forums, apparently this heretofore unseen baby brother is there to address a continuity error or something. In this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html

...there's a baby hanging out by Roy's mom, who I guess this baby brother is supposed to be.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Samedi posted:

Why wouldn't everyone assume that was his sister? Babies all look alike anyway.

I guess because Julia's so much younger than Roy. I don't know, I got this second-hand.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

Also the man raised Roy's father so there's every possibility he's a lousy father figure too.

In On the Origin of PCs, Eugene makes it sound like Horace tried to connect with Eugene, but simply didn't understand him. There's a bit where Horace wants to go fishing, but Eugene would rather read a book.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

sansuki posted:

Question: Given that Roy now knows how awesome LG Heaven is, and that all his loved ones are indeed waiting for him up there, would he change his character class to Paladin in his inevitable return to the mortal world? I would think that even for someone as big a cynic as him that this would be proof positive to stay on the straight and narrow, and to become a big ol' champion of goodness and law.

I think it's going to complicate his decision as to whether or not he goes back, but I doubt it'll change his outlook once he gets there, aside from maybe complicating his deal with Belkar.

What I'm really hoping doesn't happen, and I mean this out of concern for the character and the metaphorical groin kick that it would involve, is that Roy proceeds to bollocks up his alignment somehow upon his return and loses his shot at LG heaven.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gunjin posted:

The party are all higher than 10, according to the OOTS forums, Durkon is supposed to be 13, so he can do resurrection.

Yeah, it's pretty much canon at this point that at least V is level 13 or higher, because he can whip off two Disintegrates in a day.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ashcans posted:

It's not impossible that Horace has some sort of unrevealed faults, but as things are its completely believable that Horace just didn't know how to relate to someone like Eugene. It sounds like he tried to be the best father he could, but all his interests and skills were at odds with Eugene's, making the whole thing awkward and unsuccessful. Eugene probably grew up resenting him for never appreciating his books and his learning and trying to pressure him into being a fighter.

That's more or less exactly what Eugene tells Roy about Horace in Start of Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Theodorus posted:

Considering that this would be the logical conclusion, I'm betting on a fakeout on this fakeout.

Seconded. I originally thought it'd be something out of left field like Hinjo and Lien, then I figured it was probably Kimiko and Daigo (PS: it's Daigo), and now I'm figuring it's probably something I wouldn't have thought of.