Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
No, Miko's a fanatic. She sees things only in black and white and can't see herself as being evil or bad no matter what. Have you heard of cognitive dissonance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

You know, maybe Miko dies in the near future and becomes some kind of undead obsessed with getting revenge on the OOTS. She has the rage.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Spaceship Zero posted:

Took me a minute to remember why V does have so many Heroism potions.

Oh continuity, you scamp.

Refresh my memory.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

I game a lot. But I am increasingly more impressed with how creative Burlew is with OOTS, and the D&D world in general!

I'm always impressed with players that can rule-bend, but I guess I'm just as impressed with a DM (I know, it doesn't quite count as a comic, but come on!) that can bend the rules just as impressively for his own purposes. And it's not just like he's fudging for the case of story--I'm talking about those cases where he'll invent whole new devices just because of how much it adds.

Case-in-point: hurling elementals out of a catapult is amazing. Who thinks of these things?! Titanium Elementals?! Genius!!

I think he's done science in D&D type jokes before. I can't remember where, but I could swear he's made reference to it, maybe when the bad guys fought the silver dragon? I dunno. Also, it kind of bugs me. As a joke, it's great, but it's also a deus ex machina. It reminds me of some kid asking to use to special munchkin homebrew rules so he can start his saiyan ninja with vorpal hand to hand attacks. Next up, we'll see katana elementals.

Anyway, I just realized the epic level monsters are SRD so my prediction is that the monster hiding in the umbrella is an atropal (or similar epic monster) and the son of Scratch (or whatever the monster behind the gates is called).

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Psion posted:

Maybe, but the OOTS joke was that there are, you know, actual elements on the periodic table, and making fun of fire not being in any way an element. Nothing he hasn't done many times before, taking a gag off D&D rules. Someone coming in here crying about deus ex machinas and katana elementals is just bloody ridiculous.

It's not even a deus ex machina, either. :mad:

(We all know that broadsword elementals would kick the crap out of your katana elementals. :v: )

quote:

The phrase has been extended to refer to any resolution to a story which does not pay due regard to the story's internal logic and is so unlikely that it challenges suspension of disbelief.

D&D is an amalgam of fantasy literature, both from history and from modern writers like Jack Vance. The four elements come from classical Greece. Throwing in modern science breaks my suspension of disbelief that OOTS is a world that follows the rules of D&D. It's lazy to sacrifice the internal logic of the story for a single joke.

Oh and katana elementals were a joke. I thought putting it in there would make it obvious I wasn't being very serious with my observation.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Ununnilium posted:

Following the rules of D&D shouldn't be part of the suspension of disbelief. Following any specific set of rules isn't important, in a story, but consistently following the rules you set out is. OOTS has never followed the D&D rules precisely; why should it start now?

Don't forget Rule 0, i.e. basically letting the DM to fudge things to make sure the game is fun.

But this is beyond a simple rules/setting fudge, it's bringing in something that has no place in D&D type fantasy. Again, it's not a big problem, but I hope this doesn't happen on a regular basis. OOTS would jump the shark if the characters started crafting depleted uranium arrows or magnesium tipped bolts.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

why aren't there stats for titanium elementals, would it be so hard to add some OGL titanium elementals but no, no new elementals for me

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Factor_VIII posted:

Katana elementals do seem like an impossibility. Katana golems on the other hand...

Have you forgot about the quasi-elemental plane of katana, situated between the demi-elemental plane of angst and demi-ielemental plane of trenchcoats?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Schwarzwald posted:

I had to google atropal to figure out what it was. Jesus, those things are scary as poo poo.

Yeah, remember how the umbrella monster was only tickled by Miko when she attacked it and then punched her and her horse about a mile? Epic damage reduction and major attack bonuses. It also acts like a child, so it reasons that it is a baby demigod type monster. The only thing that makes sense for it be hanging out with Xykon is some connection with Snarl though.

One question though: If Xykon wants to open/control the gates, how does that help him rule the world? Is he planning on controlling Snarl? I thought Snarl would just tear poo poo up.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

It can't be an Atropal, for two reasons. One, the negative energy aura would have jacked up Xykon to huge power. two, the negative energy aura would have killed the whole order of the stick in their first encounter being in the same room as it.

Auras can be lowered at will and the effect could be handwaved as long as the monster doesn't make an appearance. It has to be epic though and it probably has a connection to Snarl. It might be a normal monster with the paragon or pseudonatural template on it. We don't have enough info to point at a specific monster yet.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I bet they're all illusions/decoys and the real xykon is invisible or illusioned to appear as a normal hobgoblin or something.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Why do I feel that this showcasing of how cool V. is is only gonna lead to tragedy?

A one sided duel vs. Xykon perhaps?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Is he just invisible or is he also ethereal? That might explain why he's flying so close to the walls. Why worry about the enemy army if they can't see or even touch you?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Fuego Fish posted:

:science: If he was ethereal there wouldn't be any wind.

Ah, I skipped over the WHOOSHes.

Anyway, it's a zombie dragon. I think Xykon kills it in the bonus strips of the second book. It used to be a silver dragon.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I just hope Durkon or the blind priestess has invisibility purge prepped or on a scroll...

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Heresiarch posted:

I thought we were talking about D&D here.

Internally consistent to the 3.5 D&D rules, where good and evil are as physically real as gravity and momentum.

I bet the Einstein of D&D has a E=mc^2 equation only it means: Evil = magic * chaos squared.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

NorgLyle posted:

It's people like you that ruined Sluggy Freelance. :argh:

OOTS is nothing like Sluggy. For one thing, the two fated lovers are now in a relationship and it took only like 3 years for that to happen. :colbert:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Man, I thought I was a huge D&D nerd, but I had never heard of eyes of fear and flame. Did they actually appear in any modules?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I can't believe I'm freaking answering this question, but they are in the Book of Vile Darkness. Their thing is apparently doing bizarre psychological torture type things, like saying "go kill your best friend or I'll torture you both to death."

They're pretty freaking lame, so I'm all over the one in OotS.

if you look at the ENworld link, it says they are from 1st ed. Since I began in 2nd ed. I never ran across them. However, I can think of modules that use the other two forms of undead, but not the eye.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Jibba Jabba posted:

Whoops; I thought the prisoner looked a lot like the father in the one strip he appeared.

I'd link it, but I don't remember when that comic aired.

I thought that was in the Origin of the PCs book. I.E. YOU MUST PAY TO READ IT RARGH

but I have it and it's pretty cool.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Adimeadozen posted:

Rogue, maybe, but he does seem to be whipping out the Manyshot like a ranger (not that a rogue couldn't take manyshot).

Or a fighter specializing in archery. Or a fighter/rogue. Or one of any number of prestige classes aimed at archery.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Adimeadozen posted:

Yep, in fact I'd say a rogue would be the archer who'd benefit least from Manyshot (since sneak attack would connect only once, and average base attack).

yeah and weapon specialization and strength damage bonuses count for each arrow. All he needs is a ranged cleave feat :v:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I think the new archer is going to be a cohort for OOTS. He's useful, probably going to be important to the battle and will either be saved by one of the OOTS or save one of them. Either way, Hinjo doesn't want the prisoner to hang around and sticks him with the PCs.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

From the OOTS message board

quote:

Reading a plot twist that I've spent months or even years setting up being spoiled and discussed and dissected days or weeks or months before it shows up is infuriating. Sure, it also ruins the comic for others, but what you're not seeing is that it ruins the comic for ME, too. It makes me not want to draw the next issue. It makes me want to quit the comic altogether and go back to graphic design. Today's comic is late precisely because I spent more than half the day figuring out if I still wanted to continue with the current subplot.

That's interesting. I've never heard of an artist or writer being so influenced by his fan base in such a negative way. While I can see where he's coming from, I think he needs to get over himself. To me, it sounds like he thinks his ability is so great that even the suggestion of someone else being able to predict the plot is an insult.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

It's interesting that this is Burlew's first experience with writing and how his hatred of fans predicting plot twists affects him so much. I think it's a lack of experience with dealing with an audience that causes this but it's the internet's instant feedback that has made this an issue in the first place.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

SuperKlaus posted:

Similar here, but my peeve was more that he started writing as if we gave a poo poo about the fantasy world the guys played in (see: excessively long entries in Brian's diary about some poo poo in the jungle, poo poo about gnomes). I jumped ship before the character drama ramped up and I'm grateful for it. It fell so far.

So, doods, we need a new thread for 1 kilopost or is this thing good to go for eternity?

Actually, those diary entries moved the plot along and I thought they were interesting if not amusing. However, I do see some of the same problems in KODT that I do in some webcomics, particularly the romance angle (Bob and his girlfriend and Dave and whats her face).

However, I still think it's entertaining. They've really got the old school Gygaxian school of gaming down to a pat and I always find GM sadism inflicted on hack and slash rules lawyers funny. For example, the whole story arc of two uber magical swords basically dominating the players and waging war on one another was pretty demented.

Of course I'm biased. I've written for them several times and just got a GM's workshop article in #125. :v:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I don't think of any of this is going to be filler. I bet the climax of the battle will use elements from each of these strips to make something awesome. After all, this strip shows that Haley is looking after Elan during the battle rather effectively, so Elan is relatively safe. Since he's the weakest member of the party, I'd say this is a notable development. Anyway, I think this is moving along at a pretty decent clip. Remember, this is an EPIC battle and there are at least 10 major characters in it (OOTS, Hinjo, Redcloak, Xykon, death knight) plus thousands of minor NPCs. Compared to say, a manga like Berserk, this is drat fast.

As a comparison, in a real 3.5 D&D game I ran last summer, one battle took 2 sessions and about 8-10 hours to play through. A group of epic level PCs (22-23rd level) and their cohorts and armies decided to invade the capital city of the mind flayer empire. Yeah. They won, but most of them died and they barely pulled it off. drat epic paladins and their savings throws.

Also, sup KODT published buddy :coal: Do you do any other RPG writing?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

rantmo posted:

I'm in an Iron Heroes game that's been running since December and we're only 72 hours later in game time than when we started, epic battles can take for loving ever and be completely worth the time. I think Burlew's pacing is phenominal and this is a nice little touch in the midst of the chaos. I do think Durkon often gets short-shrifted though.

I remember reading in the paladin blues that Burlew gave Durkon a phobia of trees so he would have at least some schtick, as he was too dry of a character without it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Actually, I think in 3.5 that monsters with a CR that is much lower than the PCs level, don't give any EXP. I played with this calculator and even 100 CR 1 hobgoblins wouldn't give XP to a level 13 PC.

http://www.d20srd.org/encounterCalculator.htm

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Not liking asking him to surrender would have made much of a difference. Even if they just attacked, the level 0 warriors couldn't have gotten past his DR or AC and the general didn't look tough enough to drop him with an extra round of attacking. More likely, in game terms, it was the death knight's initiative and the general couldn't have acted anyway.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

If I were GM, i would just add the death knight's XP to the party pool or split between Roy and V. But I'm a nice GM. Unless I'm running call of cthulhu. Then it's motherfucking GO TIME.

I'll be surprised if Roy doesn't hack off a wing next.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Sock posted:

He wants Xykon to land the dragon, not send it crashing to the ground.

Better to crash than let him get to the throne room though. How does he expect to make Xykon land though? I don't think he has that many ranks in Intimidate.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Phanatic posted:

Try running a Call of Cthulhu/Paranoia crossover campaign. Now you can kill every single PC six times instead of just once.

One I ran, Hastur got summoned into the food vats. Death toll in the jillions.

Yeah, but in my serious Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign, I think I killed/drove insane about 20 player characters from a group of about 5 regular players. Not higher numbers, but they were quality kills.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 20, 2007

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

cultureulterior posted:

Booty talisman time, I think.

Which strip is that in?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Semi off topic post: There's a debate going on whether traditional games should have a new forum just for discussing tabletop games. As it is now, trad games is dominated by Play by Post threads and in my opinion, I think the community will improve if we add a new forum to discuss games. Discussion is allowed now in trad games but there are only a few megathreads. If you want to have a place to just talk about games without having to compete with Play by Post threads, voice your support here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2424393

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Don't lich's get stuck at whatever caster level they are when they become a lich?

You're thinking of Azalin from Ravenloft. Standard liches are just casters with a template so there's nothing stopping them from leveling up.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

You know, in standard D&D rules, I'm pretty sure once a corpse is turned into an undead creature, it makes resurrection impossible, even with a wish spell.

Let's hope Redcloak doesn't get to Roy's corpse first.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

If Roy becomes undead, he is vulnerable to an evil cleric controlling him, like Redcloak for example. Plus, many undead revert into savage and evil versions of their old personality. A ghoul Roy would crave flesh for example.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Hinjo could just order them to guard the throne room. They wouldn't exactly question him, since they are so drat lawful and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

This new strip worries me. Basically, it's such an obvious set up for Xykon to whip out something to totally destroy them all in one fell swoop that I'll feel cheated if that's what happens. I second happy elf's concerns. Please don't let this mark the time when OOTS begins to suck.

And oh god, please don't let it be a wish spell that lets Xykon beat them. That would be stupid beyond words.