Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

greatn posted:

How about Time Stop?

Almost as bad. time stop, meteor swarm x 4 then finish it off with some save or die spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Ugh. This was a pretty crappy cop out because insanity isn't that powerful and all the paladins would have gotten a will save, which many should have made. I'm irritated with it because it was telegraphed so obviously.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

NorgLyle posted:

I'm just happy that the paladins are all dead. All that remains now is for Xyke to do whatever he's going to do with the gate and then raze the stupid Azure City to the ground and we'll finally be done with this shithole of a sidequest. I'm so sick of pretty much everything about this part of the plot.

Sidequest? This is the main plot bub. I do agree on getting this part over with though. Okay, Xykon won and Roy's dead. Let's do something fun now.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

The symbol of insanity is at best a loophole and munchkin exploit and at worst illegal. Think about game/story balance. A single level 8 spell wiping out 30-40 leveled characters? Why doesn't Xykon just throw a few rubber balls in the army below? Why doesn't he use it for every encounter? Total crap.

However, my bigger concern is that Xykon is basically now a Mary Sue character, along the lines of Drizzt and company. Seriously, nothing has gone wrong for him since the dungeon. No challenges and no real conflict. Now, I dread that the only way the OOTS will beat him is through a deus ex machina or some lame loophole in the rules or both. There isn't going to be a 'real' battle between Xykon and ANYONE since he's so drat powerful.

He's basically Sauron and Sauron shouldn't be out on the frontlines. He should back in his lair, plotting evil.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

It's not just his spellcasting power. He just conveniently found a huge hobgoblin army and always knew where to go and what to do. Hell, he just happened to gain a new minion who healed him all of the damage Roy inflicted. Just pure luck. He also just didn't beat the paladins as I knew he would, it's how he walked over all of them with barely a scratch on him. I just think Xykon is sucking any tension or suspense out of the story. There's no way the good guys can win without a deus ex machina.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

sakesniper posted:

If they can manage to destroy the gate (which they can conceivable do without relying on Deus Ex) and then get out safely (again, no Deus Ex required) Xyklon has no reason to stick around and they've effectively beaten him while allowing the story to progress. He doesn't need to be destroyed and even if the city's a ruin and everyone's dead it's still a victory in the larger scheme of things.

How can they destroy the gate when Xykon is right next to it now? Even if they did that, how would they survive Xykon's wrath? V and Durkon are probably low on spells and they were last seen on the front walls of the castle. Besides, they know all the paladins are in the throne room. They wouldn't necessarily know they had all been wiped out that quickly.

On another topic, I found some neat fan art on RPG DOT NET http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=324419

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Wanderer posted:

I regret to inform you of this, but Mary Sue is the new Godwin. You fail.

:rolleye: godwin is the new godwin. You're an idiot. You know, I still like OOTS, I think Xykon being so powerful isn't funny or good for the story. Happy Elf makes a good point. Why does he even need Snarl? He could already take over the world.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I would think an epic level lich versus a room full of prepared paladins and clerics would be a dramatic, even awesome battle. But the rubber ball trick is pretty lame, after the previous fights we've seen in the battle. And it is offensive, because throwing a symbol in someone's face is forcing them to look. He used it to attack the paladins. That's what offensive means. Symbols are meant to defend or protect a location. Do you think the game designers wanted an 8th level spell being vastly more powerful than 9th level attack spells like meteor swarm? No. Use common sense.

So, as a fantasy story, this failed, because it isn't well..fantastic. It's just cheap.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Zoolooman posted:

It's only cheap because you know the rules and try to make story predictions with them. For the rest of us, it was amazing. Turn off your gamer sense and look at it from a purely imaginary perspective. This was a fantastic strip.

I am looking at from an imaginary perspective. The rubber ball isn't really that fantastic to me.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I just played a Ptolus campaign as a paladin where I made it a point not to be 'that guy'. In fact, I argued for the looting of a house and not returning the treasure to its proper owners because the need for us to fund our crusade was greater than their need for the treasure. (Night of dissolution adventure). I didn't kick anyone out and I only got into a few other arguments with the other PCs.

One time, our druid wanted to take the magic staff of a CE guy who had helped us. I stopped him, because the staff was Mr. CE's lawful property. I knew Mr. CE was evil but he had done nothing wrong so I let him go.

The second time, our CN bard executed a helpless prisoner (a chaos cult fighter) we had captured. I tried to stop him but he did when I wasn't around. This was the session where we saved the world and was the last one for the adventure so I didn't try to get him punished although I should have.

I do think the paladin needs a new writeup. The paladin code of conduct is too simple and vague. Furthermore, other classes need a code of conduct.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

The previous strip and this one are the difference between lame crap and total :awesome: :rock:

a rubber ball and loophole in rules = crap
a legion of holy warriors sworn to fight past death itself = epic

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

With Elan getting a third party prestige class OOTS is no longer limited to SRD stuff only.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

You know, the battle between the paladins and Xykon could have just been a montage. Also, a force cage wouldn't help, since the ghost paladins are incorporeal.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Loopholes and exploits in the rules are NOT fun, because they encourage rules lawyering and weapons of campaign destruction. The bouncy ball trick (which is clearly offensive) would break any campaign it was introduced into it. If V gets a few more levels, he'll be able to do it for all the big battles. Hobgoblin army? No problem!

Anyway, loopholes all lead to the same road. And that road ends with Pun-Pun, Destroyer of Worlds.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Panty_HaX0r posted:

I can understand why some people are getting pissy about it. One of the features of the comic is that it's so strongly structured around the rules of the game. When this becomes inconsistent I can see why people would have a hard time accepting it; but, it doesn't make sense for a author to hamstring himself that way when it doesn't lend itself to the storytelling be it in a tabletop game or a webcomic. It's worth bending the rules for the sake of a more exciting story.

Yeah, but I don't think a rubber ball that basically neutralizes all living creatures is exciting or fun. I think it's stupid.

Anyway, we have been talking about this too long. No one is going to change their mind.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Huh. Redcloak is 15th level or so. A bit more powerful than the OOTS and he must be using an alternate summon monster list because I don't see fiendish elephant or mastodon on the standard list.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

You know, I bet Redcloak's sudden change of heart will make sense once people read his backstory in start of darkness.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

No, her trapfinding is too good to be from the bard class. I would say she's a rogue, but probably has some weird racial variant or template on her.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Wanderer posted:

Durkon still needs to uncork some random moment of awesome, and that's pretty much what they'd need at this point.

Yeah, he hasn't done much this battle yet and a cleric vs cleric fight is :awesome:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Cambion is really a leftover from the older editions of D&D. While there is a 3.x workup somewhere, the fiendish and half fiend templates have replaced it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Well they essentially did that. V buffed the hell out of those level 5 warriors and they held the breech until the death knight plowed through them. Different build, but same basic concept.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Robot Bastard posted:

Heh. Is that an intentional reference to one of Peter Jackson's many mistakes, or is it just a coincidence?

What are you talking about?

Also, Erfworld isn't based on a specific game so there's no real rules lawyering that we the audience can infer. It's all writer fiat.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Robot Bastard posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with "loose!" or "shoot them!" (Yes, I know that in the context of the comic it's important that the guy yell 'fire' so that the author can rip off Gary Larson.)

Hang on, I've emplaced some updates; I have to electrocute my computer now.

edit: Yeah, look. The reason this whole thing got started was that I thought the author was making a meta-joke about "Lord of the Rings". It's starting to seem that maybe he wasn't, giving the number of people here who are trying to claim that "fire a bow and arrow" is perfectly acceptable terminology.

There is no rolleyes big enough to describe what I am feeling right now.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

bgaesop posted:

:eng101: Horde! I assume you mean "horde" since we presented a plethora of reasons, rather than ones that I had stored up ahead of time (a "hoard.") A hoard is what a dragon has, a horde is what the army of hobgoblins is.

Also, I doubt I have removed one tenth of your... whatever it is that I was supposed to have decimated.

Bah. His use of decimated is perfectly fine.

quote:

1. to destroy a great number or proportion of: The population was decimated by a plague.
2. to select by lot and kill every tenth person of.
3. Obsolete. to take a tenth of or from.

Obviously if this thread were an adventuring party in D&D, it would be LOPE or Lords of Pedantry Exemplar and we'd all be in it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Quarex posted:

I have to say this is a particularly hilarious example of a way to re-use the same two frames of a comic strip several times without it being too irritating. Though, to his credit, the deific energies are different each time. And this reminds me of the days when I pushed our GM to take clerics out of the campaign entirely and just give everyone low fast healing, since nobody ever wants to play the stupid cleric.

Iron Heroes has a good solution to the problem. Every character has a number of reserve hit points equal to their hit points. A PC transfers 1 reserve point to HP per minute of rest and the healing skill replenishes reserve points.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

MIKO IS SCREWING WITH US AGAIN :argh:

I will be disappointed if Burlew takes the obvious route and has Miko gently caress up things for team good.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

No matter what, Miko isn't going to willingly aid Xykon and Redcloak. She did just kill some hobgoblins on the way in. However, she could probably be tricked or deluded into helping them unwillingly.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Well, since when the first gate was destroyed, it resulted in a massive explosion, I think we can say goodbye to to the castle and possibly the entire city as well. Oh and the hobgoblin army as well since redcloak led them to it.

Basically, this is a wipe for the next campaign phase.

Also, Miko will evade the explosion and live on to the next stage of the campaign. Which is bullshit but whatever.

Since Roy's corpse is intact, Durkon will raise him and the party will continue to the next gate. However, I bet Snarl's influence will be felt through the weakened gates. The barrier could stand losing one gate, but two may provide an opening for the beast.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Endrite posted:

Redcloak already blew up one of the gates in some dumb forest somewhere.

gently caress

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Since this is the third gate lost, I bet it will trigger something horrific. Perhaps an avatar of Snarl manages to slip through the weakened barrier or something like that.

Obviously for the next phase of the campaign, it is 'save the world from the invasion of the super evil army out to destroy everything'. I just hope we don't have to go to every drat gate before the finale.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Hey guys, if like OOTS, you would probably enjoy the The Intercontinental Union of Disgusting Characters: http://home.netcom.com/~rogermw/ADnD/

Which basically is like OOTS but in 1st edition AD&D instead of 3.5. And without pictures.

quote:

Ringman rubbed his finger bones. "You've more than proven your strength to me, young lady. You'll make an excellent warrior."

"Weapons master, please. Ordinary warriors don't get to add their dexterity to-hit adjustment with missiles into their to-hit chance with melee weapons, or get as many attacks per minute with a melee weapon as a monk of the same level does with his open hands."

Ringman's jaw dropped open a foot. "How do you get that?!?"

She took out Dragon & Dragrace. "Right here, page 34, top and bottom paragraphs."

Ringman quickly formed the words "melee weapon," "dexterity," "to-hit," "monks," and "open-hand attacks." "All right, I believe you. How come I never heard of these bonuses?"

"Because only melee weapons masters get them, and they're a hot-off-the-press character class."

"So," Ringman changed the subject slightly, "What is your dexterity?"

"Only eighteen now, but —"

"I see. Uh, and your constitution?"

"Oh, eighteen, of course."

"Of course." Ringman was getting worried. Straight 18's across the board was a sure-fire ringer for that new I.U.D.C.. "Do you have anything that's not an 18?"

"Sure. My hit points are only 14. And my level's only 1."

'Maximum hit points,' Ringman thought, 'all 18's, a character class deadlier than any previously devised, and psionics. I think I'm in big trouble.' "What do you intend to use your talents for?" he asked.

"Killing centaurs and taking their four 1 000 000 gold piece gems."

Ringman gasped.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

haha. I bet Burlew wrote that after reading everyone's predictions for Miko. With that in mind, everyone needs to register for the OOTS forums and post lots of times predicting what we don't want to happen, to happen. :v:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

farraday posted:

No, she wasn't tragic.

Tragedy implies some level of self awareness. Miko is far too... linear, if you'll forgive me, for that. There's no catharsis here, just the death of a mindless projectile.

"Tell me about the rabbits George."

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Redcloak will abandon the hobgoblins now that they serve no purpose. And the hobgoblins will revive Roy just because. And after he proves himself to them, he will become a master of the Iron Heart style. And Ray will be a Warblade and Xykon will be FUUUUUUCKED.

I wish.

OOTS only has OGL material. No WOTC splatbooks allowed. :keke:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

She's pretty drat from Roy's corpse. Remember, he's far away from the castle, away from everything else. She'll probably go for the dead castle guards first.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

gently caress, we're still not done with Azure city. Now we get to see Hinjo get all emo about the loss of his city and order while dealing with the nobility. Looks like he is going to replace Roy or at least join the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I'm at Gencon and the Goblins writer AND erfworld writer are both here. They have a booth. Erfworld has postcards out with little scenes from the comic, including one with the creepy lesbian torture scene.

I briefly spoke to the goblins guy. I'll go back tomorrow. Want me to ask them any questions?