Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Unless Xykon and Redcloak have already moved out to Girard's Gate. Thpppbt, another soul gone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

rotinaj posted:

Just as soon as Burlew does, I will too.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

In the commentary for the Oracle strips, Rich says he included Elan's question to reassure readers that at the end of the day the comic was going to have a happy ending, even if other characters died or if the story had a few twists in it. I don't think it was a set-up for (another) devious trick or fake-out or whatever.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I hope SuperKlaus is ok.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

sebmojo posted:

The point he makes in the commentary to DSTP is that the repeated 'I' is significant; V's decision is purely ego-driven. My four words don't have that resonance.

On the other hand it's also quite boring. The prophecy might as well have been "make a deal with the Devil".

"Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." is much better. The four words aren't just a confirmation of how V wants power for the sake of it - instead, they're the unassuming catalyst that inevitably leads to ultimate power (and ultimate corruption) that only becomes obvious with hindsight (much like all prophecies). They're also a great example of V's "blast first, ask questions never" mentality, which is also how the conflict with the black dragon got started in the first place.

It's both cause and act itself, which is why it's way more interesting.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

e: disregard

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

"I have a strong, contrary opinion about this but I refuse to justify it!"

Nah, it's pretty well known that Pathfinder has even worse design than 3rd edition, e.g. Prone Shooter feat.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I think the idea behind the comic isn't that one time Durkon was really angry, said terrible things and now he's secretly awful, but that he's never really processed or dealt with his justifiable anger and instead repressed it so he could wander human lands without ever complaining - something we know was the wrong response since his mission/exile was unjust in the first place.

Essentially, Durkon was right to condemn the priests to Hel, but wrong to hide that instinct and bury it deep down. Now it's risen back up with a vengeance and everyone is at risk.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jng2058 posted:

By which he means "I don't care that you enjoy it or are able to play this game and have great experiences, the arbitrary list of "game design" rules I've made up in my head make it "objectively" inferior to whatever game I like, so you are wrong for enjoying something that I do not." :rolleyes:

There are some base essential principles to game design. Media discussion doesn't always devolve down to "well that's just like your opinion man" because it's convenient for your self-identity.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

They're not players.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0606.html

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

lol

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

sebmojo posted:

lol ok

e: also, explain how you'd do V's temptation without the alignment grid

I'm not sure you can do the dismissive lol while apparently being unable to understand character motivations without reference to the autist theology of a tabletop roleplaying game

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

this is probably the first time Redcloak's ever really been able to talk about The Plan, especially with someone who doesn't already agree with it

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

well it's possibly more than just "codified good DM practice", like D&D spent decades floundering around with Gygax's actively bad DM advice to e.g. sic vorpal mummies on players with too much treasure

there's a whole lot of social and mechanical support for playing *World and Blades in the Dark that extends beyond "there's a (lovely niche over-complicated) rule for that". the difference between the Blades skill list and a D&D skill list is that Blades has guidance for mutually(!) deciding the position (controlled/risky/desperate) and effect (great/standard/limited) of player moves, not to mention things like partial success outcomes or fail-forward. the difference between a *World move and a D&D action is that *World moves are nested so even if you forget the specific rule for the specific action, there's a layered series of other rules you can use instead without feeling like you've broken the game or tainted the outcome

these are concepts that newer RPGs put front-and-centre in their rulebooks, sometimes even making them the centrepiece of the entire game. D&D, meanwhile, buries these in, what, Dragon magazine articles? 4th edition DMG2?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

a truly virtuous and well-rounded person has a responsibility to aesthetics, D&D is aesthetically displeasing, therefore

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

it is interesting that in the backer update Rich said he'd scrapped what he had for the Cliffport Police Department backer story earlier this year because he felt it was no longer appropriate/up to his standards

possibly Durkon should have offered (Vaarsuvius) to help complete the ritual - as long as Redcloak passed along Thor's offer as well

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Tsukiko's irrelevant, Xykon put safeguards in place against Redcloak back in Start of Darkness. he's always known it might end up coming to blows

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

historically I believe it's only relatively recently we've had this idea of entertainment-as-commodity

in turn, the wonderful thing about stories is that they often mean more than one thing at a time

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

alignment (ugh) only really works as virtue ethics

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

this is a very, hmm :rolldice: INTJ conversation to have

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I mean Burlew is aware of and has referenced TVTropes but I would be very confused by anyone saying that specific website is integral to the comic's story, even though the things it covers are even more present in the generic self-aware high fantasy stick figure comic strip

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I would be very confused by that too because Burlew's story isn't set in a parody of TVTropes.

Nor have tropes been directly referenced by name in the comics multiple times.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

LOL at the people so poisoned by the dumbness of the alignment system that they can't accept anything good can be made that actively engages in/with the alignment system.

I dunno what to say, it's pretty damned clear Burlew's been using the alignment system to inform the characters and the world- how "good" is defined in a D&D sense is a huge part of why we're at the endgame we're at! But he's definitely not using it, no sir, because nothing good can come out of the alignment system, and the characterization of OOTS is good, ergo it did not come from the alignment system. QED, duh, you're a dummy if you think otherwise and if you disagree it's just because goons will argue about anything.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to run in a circle and say I'm proving something.

the specific objection was to the idea all the characterisation in the comic came from alignments (and so if the comic is good, so alignments have to be good too). I think a lot of Burlew's characters actually come from other sources - if you read the book commentary, Burlew seems more interested in e.g. using Tarquin to comment on diversity and prescriptivism in storytelling and as a foil to Elan, rather than using him to represent or explain "Lawful Evilness"

the thing about alignment is that (like tropes) it's a vague categorisation applied after the fact. it's so loosy-goosy you can slap it on anything - that's the point of all those alignment grid jokes where you construct an ethical categorisation of the definition of a sandwich or explain how Batman is every alignment at once

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

heads up I've changed the forum rules to make it OK to criticise Dungeons & Dragons. heh, some of us don't need moderators to tell us what we can and can't do

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

so I don't think most people (nerds excepted) relate to rules in a primitive tribal sense, where things are either mandatory or forbidden and god help you if you violate the rules. rules - particularly social rules, rules about directly interacting with other people - aren't about providing a yes/no list of actions you can or can't do, but about providing a common framework and value system that allows groups of people to communicate, to plan and predict behaviour, to structure thoughts and feelings

in that sense pointing to Rule 0 and saying that radical freedom lets you decide for yourself what is mandatory and what is forbidden doesn't matter. people know what house rules are. the dispute is about what we want the rules to mean, how we want them to shape our community

like I don't think Rosalie_A's problem is that the not-entirely complete and consistent rules actually interfere with their D&D game, as though every session Rosalie_A's Rogue just keeps on getting into situations where they need to non-lethally Sneak Attack someone and the rules just won't let them do it, goddamn the whole session getting derailed because there's no rules-as-written to let you knock someone out from behind, a bunch of p-zombies just sitting in a circle because they ran out of rules. the same goes for any other number of rules complaints, where the issue isn't some buggy rule keeps coming up and breaking the system, but rather a rule (and by extension, the system and product as a whole) doesn't reflect what people want to do and more importantly what they want their rules/system/product to mean

hence why these complaints typically pivot to Wizard Supremacy or bookkeeping tedium or narrative tone etc

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

it's not an insoluble problem but the complaint was "this isn't well designed"

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

I find these jokes puzzling. You can't fault a dungeon crawling tabletop game system for failing at modeling celestial objects, or any kind of physics phenomenon that isn't relevant to "four guys fight at most a dozen other creatures in close-range combat".

D&D 3e presents itself as a rules system to model a simulated world and everything in it - in fact these jokes can only work because D&D makes that claim, and is not very good at it. "spot the moon" is a more absurd version of your "rock'em-sock'em-robot full attacks are better than improvised attacks", the result of sedentary game designers throwing together rules and numbers based on what "makes sense" without thinking about the result. it's the same as Burlew making fun of 4e for having a max weapon range of 150ft, save 4e was more honest about being a tactical squad combat game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think D&D 3e has ever made that claim. The joke works on some level because lots of rules get added in to adjudicate real world scenarios like that and supplements add systems and subsystems that lends to that feeling but I don't think its ever been officially been the case. Maybe some players/DMs act this way, but that isn't really how it works.

ok, maybe it doesn't want to model everything. but you can compare D&D 3e and similar games, where rules approximate real-world physical processes, to games like Apocalypse World etc., where rules approximate narrative processes

consider also the attempt to make D20 a universal system for all settings