Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Holy crap did I pick a good time to start reading this comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is Sabine a succubus, and is a succubus a demon or a devil? Cause then if Haley was a tiefling or the devilish equivalent of that there'd be some added drama due to the whole Blood War thing, which I like better than the Aasimar idea.

I like Erfworld, but I'm something of a whore for the "board/card game = important" genre, so a whole fantasty world constrained by those rules is right up my alley....even though it looks like it was made up just so a fat nerd hero wouldn't be utterly laughable.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

You're insane. The renaming of demons and devils to tanar'ri and baatezu represents the very nadir of D&D gaming.

I disagree :colbert: ....buuut I guess I can see your point.

Well it looks like the city is hosed. I guess it's possible that the reinforcements could help out but I'd think it likely that they're bugging out as well.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've mentioned this before but I think it's based on how much of a boner the idea of a world controlled by the rules of a boardgame gives you. That and how much "cute" names for common fantasy elements amuse you (LOL DWAGONS).

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I didn't see anyone mention why "fire" is wrong in this case. You don't fire an arrow, you fire a gun, as in set fire to the powder dealy. Or at least you used too. And like Efreet saiid said it doesn't really matter plus I think I've read them use "fire" before.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0425.html

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Has the comic said before how long it'll take someone like V to get his spells back? I can't remember them ever bringing that up, but then I haven't finished my tour of the archives yet.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I know about the resting, but the mechanics, I mean, if he gets interrupted halfway through does he get half his spells, if he takes a cat-nap could he get one spell back that sort of thing. Basically I'm wondering whether V will be able to do anything before the seige is over.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"Neither do I. I wasn't actually paying attention when I did it." Friggin :iceburn: , I love it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, see, this is exactly what I mean. I'm supposed to feel this way about a character in a comic where every evil character is likeable in his own way and some of them are on the main hero team.

It is a little weird, considering he's written articles about making interesting villains and whatnot. Maybe she's got more development coming. She's obviously really 2-D (IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE LOL) but personnally I admire the force of her conviction at least.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

NutShellBill posted:

Also, it feels really silly to type Elan and Nale over and over.

You think you feel silly? I didn't get Nale = Elan in reverse until just this minute.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm starting to feel bad for the gobs now. :(

Though I guess I really shouldn't, if what that one hobgoblin said is to be believed then even after all the city defenders' tactics and planning they still took roughly 1-1 casualties.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I ordered all the books last wednesday, and it is now one week later and I do not have all the books nor do I have half of the books or in fact any of the books at all anywhere :argh:

Is Haley aware that breaking the pendant will bring the fairy girl? :10bux: says that's how they get out of this.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

After finally getting my books I'm having trouble reconciling what happens in Start of Darkness and what happens in the strip itself. Even taking into account the comic started off as a gag-a-day thing that evolved into a story, Xykon is just such a raging bastard in the book to Redcloak while in the strip they seem almost quasi-friends and, well I dunno I'm having trouble articulating why it seems so weird.

Regardless the book is excellent.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Does Redcloak have many spells left? He might be in trouble. Though if I remember right clerics are decent at fighting. Also something about evil clerics spontaneously converting spells into cause wound spells, though I think those are touch spells. All my dnd knowledge comes from a really old monster manual and some games so I'm sure something's wrong.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I often wonder if Burlew puts nearly as much thought into the level/spell authenticity stuff as the people reading the comic do. I can't really imagine that he has character sheets or anything for all these various people, which would be the only way that you could really keep on top of it all.

I don't think it'd be that hard if you knew the rules well, and in most cases you wouldn't need to know much more than "These soldiers are third-level" -style generic facts. I doubt most of the people discussing this had to do any research other than looking through a webpage or two, if at all. Also, judging from this (and other) comics Burlew knows the joy that comes only from power-gaming.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

poo poo. You guys really think Elan will step up as leader? Elan's the closest I've ever come to liking the "naive/idiot comic relief" guy and that still isn't very much. I guess it'd be better than the other Greenhilt taking over Roy's place though. Erm, does the oath transfer back upon resurrection?

Random DnD second edition question:
Strength: 18/56 , What does that even mean?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

The short answer, it was a bad dream and the best thing 3rd edition got rid of.

(utter nonsense)

That....that doesn't make any sense . I mean, even THAC0 has a certain "First class seats are better than third class so let's stick with that, reason be damned." logic to it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The goblins look grotesque, like aliens which is really off-putting. Especially when the violent things are happening. Still, I guess I like the idea I just can't read through the archives yet till I get broadband again.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's fixed in the actual comic now.

Biggest despair eyes ever!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I don't have any specific celebrity that I hear, but I've gotten good results putting in Gilbert Gottfried for Xykon. Same with Christopher Walken.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

At first I thought the hiatus was going to be torture, but sep 17th isn't too bad. I mean, I suppose out of boredom we could get into arguments over pedantic poo poo but since we do that already it shouldn't be an issue.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Willie McCoy posted:

Maybe the Origin of the Linear Guild. I'm waiting for my shop to get OOTPCs so I haven't read it yet and I don't know if or how much Nale is covered in that, but I'd like to see more about his early life.

If you mean Origin of the PC's then the Linear Guild doesn't show up at all. It's more about how the order all met and whatnot.

I actually would like to see more of the LG, as according to Burlew Nale is even crazier than Xykon.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Edit: Misread the post.

Well I might as well keep the rest of it. In the first OOTS comic, I'm still not sure why the Belkar's weapons shrink.

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 8, 2007

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Gassire posted:

From there you become a petitioner and start a new life serve your god as your ego slowly fades away over the centuries, to the point where your sense of self disappears and you become one with the plane.

Jesus, even the good DnD afterlife sounds horrible.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Hmm the dialogue seems a tad forced so far, but I think I'd rather get plot dumped than have it slowly spooled out anyways.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I still don't know if I understand the mechanics behind these gates, I guess it's that the ritual to control the Snarl has to be done on a gate that's already sealed is what throws me.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Particularly lovely writing as he seemed unaware of the events after the blipping, with his "friends" sitting around going "what the gently caress?".

Yeah, but he is going to start thinking it's true, which will likely color his future actions and pathos or something.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

green leaf salad posted:

Is it wrong that I'm starting to like Erfworld more than OotS all of a sudden? The recent strips with Parson have really punched stuff up nice and concise, whereas OotS has a tendency to go on and on and on explicating each tiny occurrence.

I think Erfworld's gotten through most of the exposition setting up the universe and the rules and whatnot, and with the armies closing in and Parson in charge Exciting Things should be happening soon. So to an extent I agree.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Werle posted:

None shall taint my favorite thread's purity of essence! The rivers will flow with the blood of Erfworld fans!

Oh great, now you've posted too much and people will think there's been an update, jerk <:mad:>

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh man, the thought of Haley confiding in a corpse is kinda depressing. And yet, who is she going to talk to? Belkar? An NPC? Pfffft.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I like how in the first panel of the second page Jirix is dodging Xykon's touch.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's weird, I like redcloak and want his goblin nation to exist, but on the other hand, his god is evil and I like the paladins too, and hope they get their city back.

His god, name aside, isn't really all that evil; he wants to use the Snarl as a bargaining tool to get goblinkind some parity with the other races.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I like the fakeout on the ugly back-story.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

4e looks video gamey as hell, though it probably will turn out to be a more balanced system.

Also, less Elan, he's annoying.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Whoopty drat-doo, she wants to die forever because her crush won't reciprocate. And I guess from all the text-less panels we're supposed to feel bad about a fairly recent secondary character going down.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I still don't really buy V's going all nutso, the previous strips didn't really give the impression that he was THAT much of a friend to Haley, but I did enjoy him telling Elan to shut the gently caress up and mocking his "You don't know how hard it is to be faithful" thing.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Keyboard Fox posted:

Can we discuss Erfworld here, or should I take it to the webcomics megathread?

A few people really pitched poo poo-fits about it because when people were posting about Erfworld they'd come into the thread thinking there was an OOTS update, and eventually hermanos said to stop talking about Erfworld.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I guess I like how he sets up these subplots and ends them quickly. Well, sort of quickly.

Erfworld > OOTS there I said it

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

terminal mehmet posted:

Except the dragon was waiting for him to be alone which wouldn't have happened if he hadn't left in a huff which leaves us with my original deduction. :smug:

So then it would have happened the next time he was alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

HKR posted:

So I'm just going to quote this entire thread in grognards.txt okay?

Thank you for bringing that thread to my attention, it is a delight.