Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You know, she's not half bad. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well after Belkar's most recent speech I think it's pretty much a sure thing that he dies in 5-10 strips.

With Belkar dies my interest in this webcomic.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping that this whole Belkar dying thing is one of those dramatic "gently caress fate" moments where the protagonist deliberately breaks a prophesy. It makes some sense, Roy is just the sort of character to have a dramatic rebellion against fate. I don't see any reason for Roy to know the prophesy if he isn't going to buck it.

But this is wishful thinking because Belkar is the only character who I never get tired of.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rich writes "Evil, not stupid" better than anyone in Fantasy, and I'm including real authors.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
People on the forums talking about how they might survive a round of crossbow bolts like the evil dictator putting on a spectacle to demonstrate his power to his subjects will just say "Welp back in the pen with you" if his ordered execution doesn't take in six seconds.

How can people quickly and accurately work out complex math showing how the rules can allow certain situations to occur but be too stupid to realize big evil leader's gonna want him some dead lizards?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

..everyone can see the bird. It's a tangible creature. It was just ignored for the first 500ish strips and only appeared when necessary, which is much the way every wizard ever treats their familiar in a practical game of D&D instead of a novelized version of D&D.

I knew a guy who let his niece (5 or 6) play as his familiar from time to time. I thought it would be a nightmare (as did the DM), but it actually worked out pretty well. After the first ten or so minutes the kid only piped up when it was appropriate and played her DS when it wasn't. Speaking as someone who nearly universally loathes children under 8 or so, I didn't mind it at all. It was pretty cute when she got all excited "scouting" and telling us verbatim what the DM had just said to her. It was interesting, to say the least, though I certainly wouldn't do it with my kid. Little bastard always took more than her fair share of snacks though, and I'm sure her mom and dad have heard a few f bombs by now.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 29, 2011

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always thought the best way to finance an empire in a high magic setting would be to have an obscure law that made it standard procedure to sell all equipment in the possession of accused criminals immediately after capture. Some 10th level party picks a fight in a bar? Boom. 200,000 gold.

It would be a hell of a stick for the DM too, if carrots didn’t keep his players in line. “Don’t gently caress around in my city unless you want to risk losing your vorpal nunchucks.”

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but then you're a sorcerer...

The Raven is actually one of my favorite characters now. I lost it at "strong theropod role-model" in the last strip.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

Accused not convicted? Wow. Talk about Lawful Evil.

Eh, pretty much every civilization ever has been lawful evil. It's actually really hard for me to not create LE societies because I always start with historical analogs. I find good/neutral parties trying to better a largely evil (in the realistic sense, not the baby eating sense) world is more compelling than the Forgotten Realms standard. Individuals and organizations can be good or neutral, governments are almost always lowercase evil.

It's funny though because the players who haven't played one of my adventures before immediately start railing against the first society they're introduced to. The ones who've played a few are all "Abolitionist? This is merit based slavery, what's the problem?"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most societies in human history seem neutral by D&D standards until you remember trivial details such as institutionalized racism, slavery, rampant sexism, sweat shops, corrupt governments, corrupt police etc.

D&D has a pretty high standard for what constitutes Evil as opposed to good or neutral, that's the problem.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vorpal nunchucks are a much better topic for discussion than the alignment system, really.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, they're just regular old wooden magic nunchucks. Imagine securing a puppy to a worktable via vice and then having Josh Hamilton swing for the fences with an aluminum bat. It works on the same principle.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really, really don't understand why Belkar wanted to save the bounty hunters. I hope that gets explained.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A quick litmus test:

Read what 4ed did to the planes. Does this make you angry?

No: gently caress YOU!

Yes: drat STRAIGHT!

What are the planes? : OK fine go back to having sex or whatever.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whatever untermensch you can type it and pretend I'll read it if that makes you feel better about being wrong. :c00l:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

That being said, Dungeons and Dragons is a game that exists entirely in the minds of the players, thus the fewer times you have to make dice rolls or go to the source books for things, the better you're doing as a DM.

You're thinking about Paranoia.

D&D is all about feats and swag.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I would do unspeakable things to have Rich illustrate a Paranoia campaign with the established oots characters. Roy would die like every panel.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What kind of scrub prays to Ao? Everyone knows you don't pray to Ao that's like the most basic thing ever. Better not let this guy near the d4s he might eat them because he is literally an infant. :awesome:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He also doesn't give a poo poo about Mortals and doesn't keep clerics...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing is Roy is actually more expendable from a plot perspective than Thog, because it's been established that the party can rez a member pretty easily and it's unclear whether Nale would Rez Thog.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

This is stupid. You are stupid. It took them almost a year (?) in-comic to find a priest that could rez Roy.

Durkon's 20 yards away. Literally the only problem is Roy losing yet another level. He'd be like 3 levels behind. A fighter three levels behind the party is only a little more useful than a commoner three levels behind. Even the diamonds aren't an issue for parties in the teens.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The first strip vaporized the 4th wall. You may actually have inhaled a little back in '03.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really should have seen that coming, just read the archives a couple weeks ago. But I totally didn't.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

That's because the official forums are the worst forums in the universe, maybe except Gaia forums.

Do those still exist? I remember reading SA articles about them on high school computers, at least 6 or 7 years ago.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, the imp isn't gonna let V die (that would gently caress up his bosses plans) so no new tedious resurrection plot (unless Roy dies again).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm always disappointed by new comics when you have to wait a week for them. This one is kind of weak.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If any D&D character is eligible for Combat Expertise and the player doesn't select it the Player is officially dumber than the PC.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I too enjoy having every PC operate the exact same way with the sole exception being how the fluff describes their abilities.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Paranoia is the best game. It even says so in the book.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me I hate it when we get two pages in three weeks.

Ashenai posted:

That's dumb, you're dumb. 4E is nothing like that at all. And that's a common criticism from people who have read some of the abilities but never actually tried playing the game.

I own the core books and have played under three different DMs. The game sucks. Thank god I didn't sell my 3.x books.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why play a system that you have to fight at every turn to make it not a piece of poo poo when you could play one with a decent foundation?

This is an ironic metaphor considering how dull 4th edition is in non-combat situations.

Really, I don't particularly want to argue about it. I'm only familiar with the Core books so maybe they fixed some of my issues with supplements, but frankly I prefer the complexity of 3.5 and know the game well enough for criticisms like the wizard issue (honestly, it's like nobody plays with spell components or spell resistance) and grapple and that poo poo. I just don't like 4ed and I probably never will. I gave it a go, played for about 40 hours, and wished I was playing a better game while I was doing it. I know plenty of people who prefer 3.5 so it's not a problem for me, though I am kind of bitter that all the CRPGs from now on will probably be 4ed...

I don't particularly care which y'all prefer, so long as you acknowledge that Paranoia is better than both.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 20, 2011

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I miss my college town. All the RPers were amazingly clean and socially adjusted.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes it amazes me how infrequently Rich updates considering the comic is his main source of income. What the gently caress does he do all day?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

Ah yes, the 3.5 rogue. Unable to kill a cat.

Multiclassed with a Ranger. Not exactly a power build.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Elan-Nale strips are always gold.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

crime fighting hog posted:

Spells beat feats 9 times outta 10.

Did a 3.X spell-caster kill your childhood dog or something?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ze Pollack posted:

and it requires either DM fiat or making the Big Bad a more powerful spellcaster to make it not succeed.

I guess spell resistance isn't a thing in this thread. Or, hell, just use things that have good saves. All the sudden buffs are more useful than "everything dies now" spells. After a certain point it's the DM's responsibility that a player doesn't run away with the game and it's not that hard to do.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 30, 2011

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Don lluvia posted:

I've never played DnD but you people really make it sound terrible. Also, can a wizard normally just choose any spell he wants? Because it seems like V has to research/buy any that it wants, which would explain why he is sub-optimal.

These guys either are
A: Trying to attack the system without being genuine
B: Only used to playing high level campaigns with artificially leveled characters
C: Have never played with a DM who can impose limits on party members

Take your pick.

Leveling a wizard to the point where he is an unstoppable cosmic force is a royal pain in the rear end. We're talking thirty to forty adventuring sessions where your character is a sniveling nerd in rags who just might kill something if he rolls high and can survive having one hit-point more than a commoner of an equal level. Not only that, but everything that has a brain more significant than "Eat/sex/sleep" should be gunning for his pimply rear end from round one. If levels one through nine aren't terrifying for the PC then the DM is too nice.

By the time a wizard has gotten to the levels where he can really throw his weight around he has gotten to research about 10-14 spells without having to find them. This means that the DM has far more control over the player's spell pool than he does. A scroll represents an expense of the most valuable thing in the D&D concept: experience. Experience is what turns a bookworm with no social skills into a destroyer of nations, do you really think powerful wizards will give that up in sufficient quantities to make a buyer's market for scrolls? I don't. Scrolls should be as hard to find and expensive as a fighters sword or armor. Yeah, there are spells in existence that can render a party member irrelevant, but do you really think a player is going to take that when he has to choose it at the expense of spells that can accomplish things other teammates can't do? And why would a DM allow him to find and buy it if it would ruin the party dynamic? Yeah, a wizard who can run over to ye olde Costco and buy scrolls in bulk can render his party irrelevant, but what kind of dumbass DM would let that happen? Really Wizards are easier to rein in than Clerics and Druids, since those get every spell every level. A wizard gets two spells a level, and he had damned well be smart about what he takes because he needs spells to do pretty much anything. A wizard who takes Knock should be grumbling that he had to waste a spell just because none of his rear end in a top hat friends wanted to play a rogue.

Finally, the DM's prime directive is to provide an entertaining game for every player. If a wizard IS abusing his role and adversely affecting the party the DM has a myriad of ways to deal with it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

So I read your post and I noticed that you didn't even try to deny that wizards are far stronger than non-spellcasters, such that there isn't actually a point in even traveling with a non-spellcaster past level ten or so.

Have fun dealing with Rakashas!

And the point you evidently missed is that it's trivially easy for a good DM to rein in a wizard and make a rogue/cleric/hell-even-a-fighter useful.

(Also in real D&D players don't get to hit "r" when they run out of spells, you've been playing too much NWN.)

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up. I'm not arguing that the wizard isn't the most powerful class (Actually I am, Druid and Cleric are better, but that's not my main point). I'm arguing that, with a good DM and players who aren't actively trying to upstage each other, this isn't a problem. Any wizard that takes a spell like knock, providing the DM imposes a reasonable limit on researchable spells, is a huge douchebag and a wizard who actually prepares it is a huge douchebag with priority issues. Why is this so hard to understand? That spell exists so that a party can feasibly get by without a rogue, but y'all are acting like it's a mandatory spell. Yeah, a wizard is a much bigger deal than the party fighter 98% of the time, but in my experience there's usually a player wants to play a fighter and who's content to sit on the couch, sling some dice, and make a disproportional dent in the group's beer.

Maybe my experience with 3.x is skewed because I played pretty much exclusively with friends in a friendly atmosphere. Hell, I play a scout more often than not despite them being much weaker than my old favorite (druids). I've never had an experience playing with a guy who would actively piss off his companions for the sole gain of making his sheet of paper stronger. Apparently that's pretty loving common though judging by some of the opinions in this thread.

Android Blues posted:

A cleric is more powerful than a wizard, actually. Cleric/wizard/druid are like the holy trinity of spellcaster supremacy, and wizard is usually considered the weakest of the three. I'm not particularly interested in getting into this argument but I thought it worth correcting you on that point!
I addressed that in my spergpost. Clerics are harder to manage if they want to go power-crazy and they don't have the growing pains wizards do.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 31, 2011