Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

I love playing Monks, especially if you don't try to make them fighter replacements. But goddamn does that class require good stats. You need a high dex and wisdom for defense, a good con to take hits, a decent int for skills, and strength for damage and possibly attack as well.
Yeah, monks only really have a place if you roll stats and get really lucky without any 18s. Ditto paladins. However I always seem to roll poo poo for ability stats so I have never played either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

There are probably few traps that some combination of Telekinesis and Disintegrate couldn't solve, or Stone to Mud or some other fun transmutations. Or, poo poo, just send in celestial badgers.

A rogue can disable devices an unlimited amount of times a day. Disintegrate and stone to mud are 6th and 5th level spells respectively. Do you understand that spells are limited or are you just being difficult?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

crime fighting hog posted:

So let me tell you how WOTC is literally worst than a serial rapist because they removed True Neutral...

Actually I hate 4ed but I'm a big fan of unaligned. That was a long time coming and really solved a lot of issues.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

"Unaligned" is a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. Alignments need to be eliminated entirely.

Alignment is a tiny issue that only becomes exponentially larger proportional to how much you worry about it. OOTS itself is a great illustration of how alignment should be handled and how it shouldn't (Miko)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
KODT was my gaming magazine of choice.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh, I remember the Bag Wars pretty well. poo poo, I remember downloading the Jackson Document from KenzerCo's website.

The last I remember of the series, Bob was giving Switch advice on what he believed to be adventures in a modern-day crime RPG but which were actually armed robberies Switch was carrying out. I think he and Sheila were dating? Sort of? It's been a long time.

That's like the exact same time I stopped reading. Same issue I think.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would love to have BA as a DM. I love DMs who want to just have a peace conference between the orcs of something someplace and the humans of whosits whazzats.

I love playing along and I love destroying their sandcastle equally.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SlimGoodbody posted:

Man, is Burlew okay? It feels like he hasn't posted in quite a while.

It never fails. Every time there's a long break all it takes for a comic is for someone to say "Man, is Burlew okay?" Bam. Comic in 24 hours.

I have to say, I was not a fan of Elan before this story arc but he's really growing on me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, is Burlew okay?

*cough*

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think Rich is dead.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
loving finally

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Roy is going to be totally useless from a numbers standpoint if he dies again. A fighter 2+ levels behind and minus 2 charisma may be useful as a torchbearer or a packmule I guess.

My guess is Deus Ex Belkara.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Either way I hope this is the last major LG arc. The only good one was the Cliffport/Azure City one

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All Tarquin is is a Byronic (an)tagonist.

Fortunately Byronic anythings are awesome.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey that was actually a reasonable wait for an update.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not complaining about the pacing. If it were a two-a-week update speed no one would notice.

Cabbit posted:

Christ, I have never seen a more entitled fanbase than webcomics fans. The dude is loving diseased and you're not paying one thin red cent, quit bitching.

Actually I've bought all the books and that's his main source of income. We're talking about 200$ in total. So...

I'm pretty sure people everywhere in every medium get pissed when things are unreasonably delayed. Look at Steven King and Dark Tower IV, or how people flip their poo poo when a series does a repeat or a clip show. Of course video game delays also spark plenty of vitriol. All of these represent a hell of a lot more effort than one page of a stick figure comic.

The "Free entertainment gawsh" argument doesn't work with this comic because it's the artist's primary income and three weeks is loving ridiculous, let alone a month.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

The man has been seriously ill and pretty much has to organize everything in this tiny two-dimensional empire himself. Don't white knight unnecessary bitching, it's ridiculous.

This would be a legitimate argument if he had at least given some sort of comment in between the weeks with no updates. These days you can text an update on your website using your phone while lying naked in bed if you want to. Considering the availability of the Internet leaving your fan base in the dark for a month is completely unacceptable, I would argue it never was acceptable even before 3g phones. He really should reinstate a schedule. At least that way he would have a structured time to either post a comic or an update on when to expect the comic. I would much rather have a one-a-week schedule than the current system.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^
That's a good point, GITP is the only webcomic/blog I still bother with so that's a large part of the reason I'd like updates.

Superstring posted:

You paid for his books. That's it. That was the extent of whatever business transaction you had with him. He doesn't owe you a drat thing afterwards.

The dude is hurting himself, not me. It's mildly annoying to me when I have to wait a month for an update. For him it's jeopardizing his main source of income. I'm invested enough in the characters that I'll keep reading and buying as long as it's available, but a lot of people won't. Limiting your market when you have a niche product is not smart.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was a good strip, I didn't think it seemed rushed at all.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So what do we say for strip 800? Roy dying again? What's his name, the guy guarding the gate, Girrard showing up? Nale finally getting gutted? Xykon?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's also the fact that Belkar apparently cheats like a motherfucker. Somehow the dude's a walking Cuisinart despite wielding d3 knives.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I never really cared for V much until this strip. Way to show the usefulness of non-casting PCs there Rich.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"I kept you from avenging your husband and then I tricked you into fighting a dangerous and murderous villain with nothing but a common guard's shortsword while I ran out.

You wanna get something to eat later?"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
V is the dumbest member of the order when it comes to problem solving or logic.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really wish they would release a compilation. It's ten dollars per ~60 pages.

It would be nice to read them all again but I borrowed them the first time and it would cost literally hundreds of dollars this time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the reason Durkon has been absent is that he's grappling with the last living LG member we haven't seen yet.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lately V has been getting upstaged by her familiar. The ultimate shame for a Caster.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Let's just get this fight over with, please?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That has to rank in the top ten of creepy poo poo I've heard of happening in a session. What is it about D&D that brings out all the crazy fetishists.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
D'aaaawwwwww.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

It's creepy how well that works...

I take full credit for discovering the phenomenon.

Roy is a great character even if he does hate puppies.

Edit: 4 pages, christ. No wonder it took so long.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 4, 2011

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

I can't help but feel that Roy was burned by the DM in an earlier campaign for not having the right knowledge skills to understand "taking out supports makes the roof fall".

I think it's an acute case of "DM-doesn't-keep-track-of-player-skills-itis."

It's awkward when you know a player is cheating in a game that doesn't have a winner or loser.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

Fighter: Can I knock down a pillar to cave the roof in?

DM: No ranks in Knowledge Architecture? I think not cheater! Also, I tried to kick a pillar down once and couldn't do it. Therefore it is impossible you are a double cheater!

Wizard: Can I cast disintegrate to bring the roof down?

DM: Of course. Verisimilitude demands it.

Part of the background of the people who play the game. Big dumb fighter equivalent beat you up, clever wizard equivalent stands before you in pasty, cheeto stained splendor.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It depends on the DM though, some will keep it reasonable and deviate from the core rules. For instance, if I DMed (I hate DMing) I would never let a guy live after more than a few minutes without air. Granted, I would let them know ahead of time that I'm not giving them as much time as their con would dictate.

This comic is largely about pointing to the absurdity of D&D rules, though, so I would expect Rich to stick to the rules as written.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like to play LN with a character that hails from a strict religion or a clan based society. Being LN and just following laws in general is kind of dull, but following the laws of a minority culture is much more interesting and memorable. My favorite character I've ever played was like this.

I think we're missing the most remarkable thing about this strip. A high, possibly epic level Cleric with Wisdom out the wazoo just called Elan "wise."

Edit: I browsed over the "true neutral" comment and read it as LN somehow... Eh, my point still stands.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 29, 2011

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Next strip: a 26th level Psion loses to Elan in chess.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A Lawful Evil entity believes that established social and natural laws can be used or manipulated to suit their own selfish purposes. Laws are rarely broken by this person because that would weaken them and limit their usefulness:
Usury
Abusive administrators
Ambulance chasers
Military Juntas

A Neutral Evil entity believe that the law is beneath their own personal interests. They recognize that breaking the law is a significant risk, so they do not flaunt the law. They break the law if and only if the personal gain offsets the risk or there will be no repercussions.
Organized crime
Corrupt politicians
Most petty criminals

A Chaotic Evil entity believes that any outside regulations are an insult. They are egomaniacs, as concerned with demonstrating their own disregard for authority as they are with personal gain.
Serial killers
Arsonists
Motorcycle gangs
Teenagers

The iconic question of the alignment:
LE: "How can I exploit the system?"
NE: "Can I get away with this?"
CE: "gently caress you."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Draketooth is going to be such a letdown after Tarquin.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Neutral Evil can be all the things Tarquin is if it tickles their fancy. Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil encompass each other, in most respects, to the degree that delineation is meaningless.

This is not true at all though. It's really very simple. Lawful Evil types have an ideological or logical reason to abide by the law. Chaotic Evil types have an idealogical or logical reason to flaunt the law. Neutral Evil types are about pure selfishness, and break or abide by laws when it serves their self interest.

I don't understand why this is tough to get.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

If the actions and methods pursued by one alignment can and often are identical to one another regardless of what they internally tell themselves, what exactly is gained by classification?

Tarquin's plot (Create several puppet states among his allies and manipulate them with the intention of unification for a higher purpose) could just as easily be the goal of a Chaotic Good ruler. Their objective (Brutal, Stalinist Empire vs Peace in our Time) and their methods (Chaotic good Tarquin would be a little more concerned about collateral damage) would differ but their objective would be the same.

Likewise, a NE Tarquin could have the same goals, but he wouldn't bother with a lot of the trappings. Why would a NE Tarquin create a state full of red tape and regulations? Why go through all the trouble of a Bureaucratic smoke screen when you can just tell your guards to off fools? You're paying them the same either way. Why spend so much time worrying about the actual crimes of the belligerent smelly old man? The fighter's usefulness extends to when he tells you to shove your contract, probably before sundown. If he's irritating just tell your mooks to whack the codger tomorrow. It's good to be King.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I kind of hope that the Tarquin plot isn't resolved within the strip. That would be a great line to leave the character with. I mean, the whole point of the Tarquin plot is that it is to be resolved after the world is saved (and thus the strip is ended).