Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Yeah, I'm officially gay for Roy now. I also hoped for more combat prowess from Shinjo, but hey. If Miko's a star villain, NPCs can't be the ones to put her down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

the_steve posted:

Is it just me, or is Hinjo kind of a dick?

I know the situation is kind of hectic, but I can't shake the feeling that he likes having the Order by the balls as it were.
I saw his reaction as a deliberate contrast to the earlier wizard who teleported the OotS around, only to be ignored and condescended to. In this, Hinjo is saying, "Hey, I matter."

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Great strip ruined by a horrible pun at the end. Nice to see 'Suv kick rear end though.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

rantmo posted:

You don't get XP for killing enemies per se, you get XP for the encounter you're in. A hobgoblin has a CR of 1/2, so two hobgoblins are a challenge for a single first level PC.
Nitpick: CR 1 assumes a full party of four PCs, so two hobgoblins are a suitable challenge for four people. A suitable challenge for one PC would be a paraplegic hobgoblin.

And after a while, killing a ton of things massively lower-level than oneself results in no XP gain at all, IIRC. Stacking like 100 of them might get Belkar XP, but that sort of thing is discouraged by the DMG.

Still though, great strip. Like everyone here, I really like how Burlew has stretched his art capabilities over the course of the whole comic, and am especially noticing it in this plot arc.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
It's not unreasonable to think that Xykon has an AC somewhere in the mid-30s at least. 10 base + 5 Natural Armor (lich) + 5 Natural Armor (Amulet of NA (do these stack? I can't remember if the Amulet increases NA, or just gives it, in which case it'd not stack)) + Ring of Protection +5 +, oh, let's say a 14 Dex , which gives another +2, +4 for Mage Armor and another +4 for Shield. I'm not even getting into miss chance stuff, since Burlew wouldn't want to draw it anyway, and Xykon might not even think of it in the first place.

Plus all the DR. Xykon's a bitch to take down, no matter what.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Factor_VIII posted:

Dragon died?
Not quite. Dragon and Dungeon have been published by a third-party publisher (Paizo Publishing) for a few years now. Wizards wanted to make their web site a one-stop place for all things D&D, so they yanked the license to publish Dragon and Dungeon from the people who had it. Wizards will soon unveil something called a "Digital Initiative," that's their updated D&D website.

This kind of sucks, because Dungeon has been running some very well-received maxi-campaigns, and now the publisher won't be able to publish any more under the Dungeon title.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, anyone else thinks it's funny that Belkar mocks Elan for taking bard levels, when Belkar's a hilariously badly-made character?
I've always just assumed that Belkar's player chose a variant Ranger class that didn't have any skills except Hide and Move Silent, and no Animal Companion. However, his variant Ranger class does include Favored Enemy (all).
Edit: And before anyone chimes in saying he's really a Rogue, he's capable of casting Ranger spells under the effect of an Owl's Wisdom, and has attempted Wild Empathy checks in the past.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Ooh, party separation.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
So he can have one-night-stands at his mom's house, eh?
:quagmire:

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Awesome. While reading, I was wondering out loud to myself "aren't these SEA trolls?" Apparently Burlew was counting on that.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Orcs have come so far since The Hobbit.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Awesome: nauseated was possibly the most humiliating status effect in 3.X.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
I just want them to get the team together, save the last few gates, and kill Xykon and Redcloak. Then end the loving thing. I mean, GOD! Enough dicking around with nothing happening.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Renoistic posted:

As long as the comic makes me laugh I don't care where he takes his NPCs.

ecnaleerF yggulS
ecnaleerF yggulS
ecnaleerF yggulS

Another webcomic I used to like that got bogged down with drama and nothing happening.

Why the gently caress is everybody having such a drat difficult time getting Roy raised from the dead? Who needs a half-orc ninja fawning over Elan? Is V turning evil or what? Why is Celia suddenly a main character? Why is she useless?

Rich Burlew posted:

Hold on I'll answer that in just a COUGH COUGH WHEEZE (Ten-hour-long boardgame)HACK SPIT (TPB extras) COUGH SNEEZE (laziness) SPEW WHEEZE (stubborn refusal to address concerns) SPIT

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
I liked the "Ding!" That particular contrivance always puzzled me - what were the PCs' rivals doing while the PCs leveled?

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
I like the fact that evil samurai have five o'clock shadows.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
V's gonna be a lich by the end of the series, mark my words.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Wait, what's an anchor? Is this some sort of RPG simulationist/narrativist/punching jargon?

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

mango sentinel posted:

Yes Burlew, please further split up the cast and prevent us from advancing the main plot.
Split up? V's going into NPC-land, I reckon.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
OK, that was actually pretty damned funny. I like the cleric's reaction to the cutaway panel.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
A character representing a player character in a D&D campaign, in a comic about D&D rules, self-knowingly using murky (non-existent) rules to her own advantage in a conversation with a character representing an NPC.

META AS gently caress.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Well, looks like it's murder. I see more smoothness than rage, though.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
You know, I never thought about how Icy Burst would taste. Fiery would be cinnamon of course. And I suppose acidic would taste like spinach.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Screw you guys; I haven't had a science class since the early 90s. I was looking for a combination of green and not-good-tasting. :gonk:

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Amused Frog posted:

I smell an alingment debate.
B-b-b-but my paladin once slept with a girl is that wrong please tell me for the next ten pages of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm genuinely curious about Serini's response. She's not Redcloak, but she's in a similar position in that she's Team Xykon due to a bitter loss, a lot of sunk costs and a faint hope for a better lot in life for the monstrous races, and she's been offered an out. Redcloak doubled down in the worst possible way, she actually may not. The story has been in desperate need of an advocate for the monstrous races since Redcloak very clearly abandoned that notion long ago; perhaps that is Serini's actual role here?
Serini has a billion points in Use Magic Device; can she sub in for the Divine half of the ritual?