Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Soonmot posted:

I sure do like how everyone looks like 12 year olds. Is that Elan?

It seems to be making out with something in a skimpy outfit, so probably.

Also I like to pretend that liches and the like have a natural spell-like ability that gives them illusory eyelids or whatever they want so they can show emotion when they choose.

I mean, what's more humiliating - a demilich imprisoning you, or a demilich imprisoning you while doing Groucho Marx eyebrows to piss you off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Maximum weight based inventories mean you can carry as much junk as you drat well please completely out of sight as long as the total is under your maximum allowed value.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

If you're having issues reading that, you might benefit from not being so vain as to insist that you don't need glasses.

Perhaps what he's getting at is that the comic is in desperate need of formatting. The eye (mine anyway) tends to get a bit lost somewhere near the middle of those giant unbroken text bubbles.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

terminal mehmet posted:

When did Redcloak lose an eye? Or is he just losing his mind?

O-Chul's escape. Xykon forbade him to use Regenerate to get it back.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kramer posted:

He has an MBA. So yeah, probably.

Holy poo poo, I haven't looked at that recently but Burlew changed the character page to reflect Haley stealing the diamond from it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

DrakePegasus posted:

Unfortunately for Redcloak, Start of Darkness foreshadows his ultimate fate as being eaten by a hypnotically suggested Creature in the Darkness after he betrays Xykon.

Then again, you can never tell with Rich Burlew.

That's assuming anything ever really works on Monster in the Darkness. Could have just been going along with things, it's like that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

You should probably read (or reread) start of Darkness as Redcloak's plan differs in a minor, though significant way from how you are portraying it.

Yeah, reading Start of Darkness is, despite Burlew's attempt to make it not required reading to understand what's going on, certainly a good thing to do. Knowing what you're talking about there is certainly not critical to understanding but it sure does change how you look at it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Rooster posted:

Wouldn't the greatest twist be if Tsutsiko figures out how to do the divine half of the ritual, Xykon kicks Redcloak tothe curb, goes through w/ the ritual and Tsutsiko/Xykon are destroyed.

More likely, she'll figure it out, tell Xykon, he'll get characteristically pissed and go on some sort of anti-goblin rampage out of spite, and I have no clue where it goes from there. Some sort of Redcloak/Stick team up? Who knows.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dragons and elves collectively form the Zeus of D&D.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

Considering Girard's last name is Draketooth, is it possible he has some draconian heritage thus giving him the longevity needed to still be around 60? years after the gates were sealed?

If you read Start of Darkness, Dorukan was still around until about 6 months before the start of the strip. It's not unreasonable for Girard to be alive and kicking, especially given that he is a high-level caster as Zetetica said.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Alternately, Mr. Scruffy is a servant of Tiger (or one of the other Twelve Gods but Tiger makes the most sense).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Which, as much as it's being presented as an apolitical act in the strip, is a very strong declaration of support by Tiamat for the Order of the Stick. She's got no problem with her Oracle telling the Order everything they want to know to beat Xykon, and when Xykon shows up the Oracle is not home? That's just a very diplomatic "gently caress you".

Of course it's this way. The entirety of the gods (Dark One excepted) don't want anyone loving with the Snarl, so obviously they'd help someone trying to shut this crap down.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Rumda posted:

it was rat and tiamat that told the dark one of the snarl in the first place

Yeah, after he independently discovered its existence they were the ones who told him that it is far, far best to just leave the thing alone.

And he didn't listen, so it makes sense that they would work against him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm kind of seeing it as the IFC convinced Tiamat to at least be patient and wait to kill V once Xykon is stopped.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

PFlats posted:

It could be a sinister flute.

That pun is horrible. Even worse is that it's only the second worst pun I've heard today.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

tazman posted:

The fact that this cliche will involve both Elan and his Dad is the exact reason why it will happen. Just because something is cliche doesn't make it necessarily bad and those 2 are suckers for that kind of stuff.

Plus, they're into drama enough for Tarquin to mysteriously survive and vow vengeance against his other son.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I just imagine Tarquin sounding friendly and excited about being evil, except when he's doing drama stuff.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Except V has cast spells from Conjuration before. I believe the (Intrusive) Black Tentacles are Conjuration, at the very least.

Yeah, not being able to cast it could mean either barred school or just doesn't happen to have the spell at hand.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Half an hour isn't very long though, and even if something doesn't tie them up for a while, there's not necessarily a reason that they'll bump into Elan's dad at all.

It would still be really interesting though! This arc is great so far.

However, it WOULD be dramatic for Tarquin to catch them, and considering that we are in fact talking about him...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Numerically, they could have killed the poo poo out of Miko with the whole Order. Morally is out of my hands, that's up to the writing.

There's the fact that they were off-guard and confused, with Roy fighting well below his actual abilities what with that makeshift greatclub instead of a sword business.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Basically all the Evil races don't make sense to me as how they are capable of maintaining any big civilization. Orcs, okay, they always seem to be barbarians with whoever's strongest having say. No giant cities and fancy architecture.

I guess it's just what happens when you create a race solely to be antagonists.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I was hoping until now that the Champ would actually be a disguised Tarquinn but I don't think we're going to get that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I thought there was a strip where they said he didn't dump stat CHA?

Maybe that was WIS or INT. I agree anyway, pretty sure he has great stats.

Shouldn't be WIS or INT, Miko said he had the stats for a Cleric and the Mind Flayer went straight for him over Vaarsuvius.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

HKR posted:

Seriously it's only been about 4 strips (3 months)

Three months or not he loving says it right there, the phrase is pretty memory-jogging.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Affi posted:

No I won't be, tell me please.

It's a painfully stupid thing that a particular sort of strange and obsessive person does where they decide that two fictional characters (or in even creepier cases, real people) should be in a romantic and/or sexual relationship. They call it "shipping" because they think it sounds cute or something hell I don't know.

e: beaten

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

TremendousMajestic posted:

Someone post the disease table from the same era so I can figure out what I caught from that expensive doxy

You have contracted an infection of the :rolldice:

ears?

What the heck man.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ashcans posted:

You know, Asimov sort of wrote a story about that. Dude develops an anti-gravity device, doesn't apply it properly so that it negates all gravity effects in the field. Instead of getting something that makes things floaty, an object entering the field becomes totally stationary - while the earth/sun/solar system keeps on moving relative to it. At least I think that's how it works out, it's been a long time since I read it.

That is roughly how that story works out, yes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tarquin probably feels a great fatherly pride in his son while viewing him as the means to an end.

He wants to be defeated by a hero in a grand battle and go down in legend, and he is drat proud that his son seems to have independently set himself up to fill that role.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

gently caress.

YES.

:f5:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

I'm trying to construct a theory to explain why it's Tsukiko behind it, but I can't.

So I'll just throw out that my gut feeling is that it's her.

She wants to set up Redcloak as incompetent and get more power with Xykon?

Poor girl just doesn't know that it's better to be further away from Xykon, not closer to him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Well of course he holds onto it...it's his Holy Symbol after all.

The QUESTION is whether or not he tells Xykon he's got it.

Well they're pretty much never going to leave Azure City until he's got it, right? So he'll tell Xykon. All for the plan and whatnot.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Colon V posted:

Then again, we are talking about a series where one of the second (?) book's major climaxes is a riddle contest with a sentient runaway train, solved by a much less classy "what's in my pocket".

I really liked the scenery of the hosed up world going by them in that part though. v:shobon:v

Also the ending is much more acceptable when you remember that Stephen King thinks that hell is repetition.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Buane posted:

Honestly, Redcloak could just say "she spilled the beans about her researching the divine half of the ritual so I killed her to avoid becoming expendable in your eyes" and Xykon would probably just react "Fair play old chap."

He'd understand the sentiment of killing someone to keep your position secure, at least.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ChaosSamusX posted:

How is it possible to underestimate the potential success of a fundraiser this much? I think he might run out of new ideas.

Also, Tim Buckley's tears are delicious.

They are as nothing before the ambrosia that is freeper tears.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

He's turned V's gender into a running gag and I'd be kinda disappointed with any resolution, myself.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Rich seems like a smart enough guy to talk to somebody who knows how the hell he's supposed to declare his big heap of money on his tax return for 2012.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

e: really did you see that OoTS rip comic posted a couple pages back? The comic on display that day was seriously just the mage character giving a precise point by point overview of the Phantom Steed spell. For like fifteen panels or something. No punchline whatsoever. It was like a lecture or a really lazy ad. Do people really expect V to behave like that?

It's not exactly out of character, although Burlew got tired of the verbosity gag pretty quick. It was also pretty explicitly a gag since every character gets bored to tears/sleep by it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I've seen it go either way in-game, but it was shown when they tried and failed to raise Lord Shojo that in the OotS universe, you do lose the diamonds.

The problem with Malack would seem to be that he's a Cleric of the God of Death. I'm going to go ahead and guess that death is permanent for Clerics of Nergal. Otherwise, why would he make so much of a fuss about Malack's kids being dead? He could have raised them long since. Likewise, why hadn't they raised Penelope, if only to find out who killed her?

No, I'm betting that Malack is barred from using any spell that would take people out of Nergal's Realm.

Could just be one of those "you're allowed to do it, but only in that very rare circumstance when you have a drat good reason to get this person back, otherwise you'd best content yourself with Speak With Dead".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's statues of Girard Draketooth all the way down.

By the way, I'm sure someone already addressed it, but even if the skeleton is a big fakeout, Girard's dead anyway, isn't he?

Well, he's 1/4 dragon and may have done some insane epic magic fuckery that allowed him to escape the Familicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

The only way to balance Wizards is by having the DM deliberately hamstring them at every turn.

Oh poo poo, the party found a time hole to the Time of Troubles or homebrew ripoff thereof!

WHAT NOW BITCHES

As a bonus, this fucks clerics, too :v: