Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ashcans posted:

It's not impossible that Horace has some sort of unrevealed faults, but as things are its completely believable that Horace just didn't know how to relate to someone like Eugene. It sounds like he tried to be the best father he could, but all his interests and skills were at odds with Eugene's, making the whole thing awkward and unsuccessful. Eugene probably grew up resenting him for never appreciating his books and his learning and trying to pressure him into being a fighter.

I mean, you might be right, but I don't think you need dark secrets for a parental relationship to be strained. v:shobon:v

That and ya know, "always been a grumpy old man at heart". Eugene is an rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jonked posted:

The comic updated!

Wait, nevermind, false alarm.

I WILL END YOU! :black101:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

IMJack posted:

B: "Dude, they're asking - begging you to flank them!"
E: "Huh?"
B: "Flank 'em both! Flank 'em 'til they love you!"
V: "You're not helping, Belkar."
B: "Hey, flank you, elf."

This is pretty authentic Belkar-ness right here, and I can totally see him saying it. *golf clap*

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Samedi posted:

Couldn't he just train with his grandfather or someone while he's up in heaven?

Next time ON ORDER OF THE STICK Z:

?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

greatn posted:

GUYS THE FACT THAT I ENJOY SHOWS ABOUT SWEATY MEN GRUNTING AND COMPARING "POWER LEVELS" IS TOTALLY NOT GAY SEE ITS LESS GAY IN THE MANGAS SEE SEE?

Lets just come out and say what we mean here, am I right or am I right? :v:

On a more serious note, I doubt that Roy will be left many levels below the party after this whole deal. It just wouldn't serve much purpose as far as furthering the plot/spicing up aforementioned plot is concerned.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

greatn posted:

Wow, you're kind of a dick. I've actually never read the manga, or watched the show in about ten years. It's just a random factoid I know, relevant because of the comparison of the two mediums. But sure, be a big man who takes the bold move of criticizing unpopular things, and a homophobe at the same time.

Sensitive much? Alright then, seeing as the completely absurd "quote rectification", silly smiley, and complete 180 in tone between the first and second part of my post was not enough to clue you in, I guess I'll say it outright. I was just screwing with you. Plot twist!

And Haley better have a drat good reason for not bringing Belkar on a mission which is combative in focus.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the speed of things and is just enjoying seeing where things go?

Pretty much this. I can't bring myself to honestly care how fast he's going given that this is a webcomic I check every three or four days and spent MAYBE 3 minutes on. If in that time I am entertained in any way then it's a success.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

All I got to say is I continue to be delighted with Belkar's metamorphosis. I see him becoming twice the rear end he ever was with his newfound cunning.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I don't say this often about OotS humor, if indeed ever, but the "mobs" gag felt really out of place and forced. Kind of killed the flow of the strip for me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This has to be one of the most hilariously random occurences in this strip yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I don't know. Dragons are fairly rare, and with how many this strip seems to indicate he killed...maybe he DID extinct Black Dragons. :aaa:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Competition posted:

I've never played D&D in my life but I've known enough to enjoy oots plenty, but from what I've gathered from reading this thread occasionally Xykon is unbeatable by the order regardless of how much they level, even mega V couldn't do it.

Did you perhaps miss the part where Xykon was defeated in like, the first 200 strips of OotS? Which is what started this whole thing?

He's far from unbeatable. Mega V failed because Mega V was, while powerful, a goddamn idiot with no notion of tactics whatsoever. Arrogance undid him. If he'd put some thought into his assault, he'd have probably killed Xykon.

The MitD will probably contribute to Xykon downfall, but the party just needs to work as exactly that: a party.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wow, Girard really is quite the irredeemable human being isn't he? The "he's worse than Xykon" people are nuts but still

Quite the oval office.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gort posted:

Basically why I don't read Order of the Stick any more. The guy seems to have forgotten he's doing a comic and wants to put 300 words on every page.

Except its always been that way. From the very start, OotS has been a dialogue heavy strip.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

HKR posted:

Stop thinking of the comic in terms like this.

Why? That's kind of part of the comedy

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Honestly he's probably more proud of the facts that his son is both A) A protagonist and B) Knocking boots with another protagonist. Secondary character love interests are worth far less points.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

OotS has never at any point ignored the wealth of options Mages have to invalidate absolutely everything in order to give the PCs a fighting chance. Never ever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Toussaint Louverture posted:

If any D&D character is eligible for Combat Expertise and the player doesn't select it the Player is officially dumber than the PC.

If any D&D character is eligible for Combat Expertise that player is playing not-4E and therefore dumb :shepface:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Taerkar posted:

It's munchkin or nothing!

poo poo, I'm wrong, this guy is right.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Who What Now posted:

The fix to this is not playing with spergy assholes who power- and meta-game to absurdities.

Why play a system that you have to fight at every turn to make it not a piece of poo poo when you could play one with a decent foundation?

Sure you can DM fiat and homebrew (and mostly ban a poo poo load of books) away almost anything, but at a certain point you have to ask yourself is this worth the time and effort?

And Bobulus is right, though I think he meant Warden. Wardens, Fighters, Paladins, and Swordmages are all Defenders but they don't have a whole lot in common in terms of how they do their jerbs except for "marks poo poo".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

As someone who has Crohns, it really really depends on the person. Crohns isn't really a single thing as a series of similar conditions all relating to chronic inflammation of the digestive track. Some poor motherfuckers have it in their esophagus.

Genetics roulette folks!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CarnivorousThing posted:

Wow, it must be really unfun to have to DM for you or play with you.

He's driving at a legitimate point but not out and out saying it.

Yeah you can make 3.5 work, but why bother with all the house rules and avoiding of level 9+ like the plague when you could just use a different system that doesn't have a godawful, non-play tested, fundamentally broken foundation?

Not so surprisingly, it makes life a lot easier and doesn't detract from roleplaying at all!

True Evil Bob posted:

That was something I both really liked and really disliked about 4e. Aside from access to new rituals, I never really felt like I was getting more powerful at higher levels beyond just hitting for bigger numbers, and even the rituals didn't have as much freedom as 3.5 versions of the effects (only being able to plane shift between known sigils in 4e compared to going to any plane in 3.5e with planeshift/gate) It removed nonsense like scry and die tactics, but felt like it limited freedom and exploration a lot without just having the dm tell you where you can go.

True optimization is a bit harder in 4E, because it's less of an individual thing. It's more of a party thing, and I kind of like that. I was in a Paragon to Epic campaign and did I feel more powerful by level 20? God yes, but not just because my Barbarian was tricked out to hell and back but because of the synergy between a Thunderborn Barbarian, a Tactical Presence Warlord, and a Unity Avenger all working in concert with an Invoker clearing the way for all of us to do our Terror Trio shebang.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So, by definition of Interplanar Travel not being possible if you're on the Prime Material you still could teleport from Forgotten Realms to Krynn if you were aware Krynn existed. Because they're planets on the same plane you see.

At level what, level 13?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

True Evil Bob posted:

I ended up enjoying both editions in different ways. 4e for the low-mid fantasy story where you're not warping reality but you manage to survive long enough to go from killing kobolds to challenging demigods, but I still enjoy the high level spellcasting arms race in 3e, aside from martial classes becoming obsolete at high level without homebrew/houserules/etc. Our groups did always ban Rope Trick though to avoid having a safe way of turning the game into a 15 minute workday too easily.

I uh

I'm not sure I'd call 4E low-mid fantasy when a 1st level Swordmage daily entails slicing open a hole in space/time and stepping through to another point with an accompanying sonic boom. That falls solidly under the category of high high fantasy.

It's just not broken, is all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

D&D really is not what I would call even close to low fantasy. It's far too magical for that. Even Dark Sun.

Forgotten Realms tries to be Low Fantasy but then forgets about that five seconds later.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nilbop posted:

And then in the dry, barren Mountains of Sklort (next to the lush equatorial Deepforests of Dragonbone Valley, where the red and gold and maybe some other specific colours of dragons fight their eternal magi-war) the Arch-Demilich Chun'Ganoosh summoned the adventurers to recover his magic Raiments of Good from the Archmage Khelben Arunsun in wherever he's at now.

The point is Forgetten Realms is a geographically improbable mish-mash of silly-sounding names and impossible (as in awful) stories involving wizards and dragons and sometimes drow and nothing else.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Forgotten Realms has peasant dirt farmers who've never even seen magic on one side of a mountain range, and exactly this on the opposite side of that mountain range.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

HKR posted:

Seriously. I may like D&D, but I absolutely hate reading about how x system is broken or y class is over powered here let me show you my mathhammer asdfjhafjhdsaj;fFUCK. All of the picking apart really destroys the game for me and that's why I avoid Trad Games like the plague. Don't bring that poo poo here.

Don't need to pick apart the system much to see how lovely non-casters are :smug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Alright that was pretty fantastic. That's a classy Bard diversion right there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TremendousMajestic posted:

I was overseas for most of June and not reading threads, but I still checked post counts on the Awful app when I had wifi. I was all "Sweet! 160 posts in the OOTS thread, there must be some updates!" Then I got back and it was all wizard arguments :I

You're welcome :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

Durkon.

Apparently Thog too.

There's not much min/maxing to a Cleric.

It goes like this:

"Be a Cleric"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I would probably be more upset about the glacial update pace if OotS was a thing I worried about on a daily basis as opposed to a thing I occasionally remember to check on, derive amusement from, and move on.

Quit gettin' mad about web comics.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Were these things even in the game?

In potion form, yes. In belt form, no.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

prefect posted:

:colbert:

Image snip

Page 145 of the first-edition DMG.
:)

The "game" in this case refers to Baldur's Gate.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

inthesto posted:

Is it so wrong that I want a one-off comic with Roy's kid kicking asses as a 4e warlord?

The interesting part is that a hypothetical child with his air elemental girlfriend would be a Genasi, which is fairly ideal for Taclord action.
:goonsay:

(Taclord bestlord)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Why are we pretending like the alignment system isn't a total piece of poo poo?

Neutral Good and Chaotic Good are often times the exact same thing, same goes for Neutral/Chaotic Evil. It's a crappy system that inadequately describes ethical frameworks and character motivations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cabbit posted:

There's only no functional difference between Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil if you're poo poo at playing a Lawful Evil character. Compare Tarquin to literally any other villain in the comic.

Neutral Evil can be all the things Tarquin is if it tickles their fancy. Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil encompass each other, in most respects, to the degree that delineation is meaningless.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Draketooth is going to be such a letdown after Tarquin.

This is not true at all though. It's really very simple. Lawful Evil types have an ideological or logical reason to abide by the law. Chaotic Evil types have an idealogical or logical reason to flaunt the law. Neutral Evil types are about pure selfishness, and break or abide by laws when it serves their self interest.

I don't understand why this is tough to get.

If the actions and methods pursued by one alignment can and often are identical to one another regardless of what they internally tell themselves, what exactly is gained by classification?

Also I'd argue that the motivations of Lawful Evil often boil down to simple selfishness. The controlling personality often has selfishness at its core.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'll ask again, if a Neutral Evil character can go his entire career acting Lawful Evil because it's convenient, what is the point of classification?

Does the alignment system justify existence y/n

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Since when is it ever possible to never have a personal advantage by going against the law? If nothing else he'd do a shitload of littering when no one else is around. And Lawful Evil characters hate littering.

Gonna disagree that Lawful Evil characters don't break the law even when they can get away with it, unless you're seriously telling me the Evil Vizier isn't going to hire the odd assassin every now and then.

Lawful Evil does not equate to a literal COMPULSION to obey the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DrakePegasus posted:

Nearly five years after Miko killed an unarmed octogenarian and we're still arguing about alignments.

The Draketooths are pricks.

Stockholm Syndrome is a powerful thing, folks just can't let go of lovely systems.

Nine stereotypes that pseudo-overlap is not an effective way to categorize personalities, if indeed human personalities warrant categorization in the first place.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 22, 2011