Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It feels like a regression on the comic's part. It's not a big deal, all in all, but it's Not Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I wouldn’t really categorize Durkon as a bad dad. Bad partner for Hilgya definitely, but uh, Hilgya is an unhinged paranoiac which in my experience typically does not lead to successfully maintaining a healthy long term relationship with your kids so if anything Durkon has a better shot at being in their life than she does :shepface:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Agreeing with the above. Every bit of that dialogue reads to me as “my childhood sucked and you were a prime part of why”.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It’s honestly kind of a lovely answer because A) it spends way too many words belaboring a simple point and B) that misuse of energy makes it hard to tell if he even understands the perspective the question is coming from.

It kinda makes him sound like a putz.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Or: radical idea
Dont make a class about RPing vows of poverty in a game where fabulous player wealth is not just the default but an inevitable side effect of just existing as adventurers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah the narratively satisfying thing here is that Tarquin not only DOESN’T get the finale he wants from Elan, he gets taken down by an infinitely mad Succubus instead.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ikanreed posted:

The dark one and his motives being crucial and not foreshadowed at all would feel like an "unfair" twist. One that surprises the reader just to surprise the reader.

In both public comics and the books, I think we have had all of two real lines of dialogue from him. It's just not enough for this hypothetical twist to feel good.

Not necessarily. It’s just another thing for Red Cloak to react to. At the end of the day the Dark One is just another event to inform Red Cloak’s character arc. It’s not ABOUT them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lancer is mostly just a kinda mid fascimile of 4E D&D. It’s mech design is kinda bad (there are a lot of lovely mechs) and you’d almost always be better off piling on more Strikers.

Also the tech attack math is laughably bad and swings between two different extremes of “why bother rolling”.

Also the setting is not very useful to what the game is about. Book spends a time navel gazing about concepts that are completely useless to a party of mech pilots.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

There’s a reason the overwhelmingly most common advice for GMs of Lancer is “set your campaign somewhere Union doesn’t exist and won’t exist for the scope of the campaign”. Lancer is not a well written setting and wasted an incredible amount of page count.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Where is this the common advice?

Pilot.NET

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Never apologize for calling Redcloak a dipshit

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, Oglaf has been startlingly consistent over the years imo, but kind of by definition that also means its way less novel now.

It's this. The sense of humor hasn't changed, it's just you're all very used to it by now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The narrative pretty consistently treats Belkar as if he has a non-poo poo build though so eh :shrug:

The encounter design in OotS is clearly forgiving

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Dragonlance's moon mage orders were neat.

The only thing more unethical than a regular wizard is a moon wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

bartolimu posted:

That was just setup for the real punchline of "Don't worry V, you sounded like even more of a badass when you familicided those dragons. And people. And who knows what else."

You are way overthinking this. He’s just bullshitting. When you’re bullshitting the literal truth doesn’t matter, just being close enough to annoy/tease someone.

Also the real punchline is V getting trolled.