Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

So if the entire Draketooth clan is dead, who cast the Arcane Eye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm calling 5 pages before the Order is mercilessly beaten down and the IFCC teleport a possessed V in to fire off a few Empowered Maximized Chain Lightnings to even things out a little bit.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Anatharon posted:

Out of curiosity, I browsed the thread and noticed a lot of Goblins hate. I've never read it, and from the reactions here, I shouldn't, but what's so loathed about it?

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just curious.

There's a lot of things that can be said about Goblins, but what it ultimately comes down to is that the author, Thunt, is a pretty bad storyteller. He can build a world, he can build characters, and he can weave a plot, but when it comes to actually taking that world and that plot and putting them in motion it comes out very awkwardly. Thunt is a big fan of words. He's not as bad as some other webcomic artists that we like to trash around these parts, but he relishes the opportunity to throw explanation or exposition at the reader via inappropriate monologues. This is, unfortunately enough, frequently necessary because the world he's built is so loving weird in so many different ways that readers need constant reminding about how weird it is. Also, there's a whole bunch of entirely divergent plotlines that follow characters around as they split up, which doesn't help anything at all.

The guy also has a thing for torturing and killing characters off in incredibly gruesome (and lovingly-rendered) ways, like the monster whose merest touch causes your flesh to slowly bubble and rot away in an excruciating fashion, or the harmless-sounding "cause light wounds" spell reducing someone's face to a smoking crater. Even the non-fatal bad things that happen to characters are weird and terrible, often marking the characters grotesquely and permanently.

Finally, the artwork isn't very good! It's much better than it was in the past, with a unified and consistent style with easily-identified characters and features. The anatomy and linework are terrible though, and the panels are laid out pretty terribly. The artist's also taken to shading pages (usually a few days after the page first goes up), which, while pretty decent-looking, usually only serves to make the pages darker and even harder to read.

e: vvv Exactly.

blastron fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 22, 2012

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

:siren: #879: Running on Empty :siren:

Well, that answers that question.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Now I'm just waiting for the Chaotic fiend to break the terms of the contract, possess V's body at a crucial moment, gently caress something up hardcore, and then get "beaten down" by the other two fiends, who will then promptly apologize to V for the inconvenience and mention that the deal is off... after the damage has already been done.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Superstring posted:

I honestly don't understand why he keeps that thing around. What tangible benefit could it possibly bring?

It's got a lot of great character optimization threads!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

RickoniX posted:

Isn't the Tarrasque immune to ability damage?

It's immune to ability damage, and allips do ability drain! :eng101:

e:f;b :eng99:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The point of the allip method isn't to provide an unbeatable way to defeat the tarrasque, it's to show that a level 3 caster can take down the tarrasque.

And, although this is starting to get incredibly nitpicky, the RAW about natural weapons reads "Such creatures’ natural weapons are also treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction," (emphasis mine) which leads me to believe that they don't get any of the other abilities of magic/epic weapons (such as the ability to hit incorporeal creatures), just the ability to bypass DR/magic and DR/epic.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Regalingualius posted:

Well, are there some sort of creatures, magic, or whatever that make curses into positive effects (probably with the trade-off of buffs/positive enchants acting like curses)?

One of the examples of curses in the DMG is a cursed wand of lightning bolt that heals instead of hurting, which is a very effective source of healing for an arcane caster to carry around as it heals for 5d6 damage per shot in a 120-foot line.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

FriggenJ posted:

Except he and his team managed to put a stranglehold on an entire continent and are its secret overlords? That seems pretty competent to me. Just because he -stays- in control by subverting hero>overlord tropes doesn't mean he's a one-trick pony.

His major issue was overtly pointed out in the story. He has absolutely no detachment from his family. He wants his son to be the hero that defeats him and, in trying to set that up, is setting up his own downfall.

I'd say that Tarquin is detached from his family, in that he doesn't seem to care what his sons' actual goals or motivations are. Tarquin smoked Nale as soon as he became inconvenient, and this whole "sub boss Zyklon" deal indicates a total lack of respect for Elan's actual heroic quest. Instead, Tarquin wants to die a legend, and is using Elan to get there because having an evil father killed by his heroic son makes for a great story. As such, he only cares about Elan enough to ensure that Elan is properly heroic.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

greatn posted:

Could he just gate Lee on down to prune material plane? Not that it would be a good idea in the least mind you.

Gate is a Conjuration spell, which V has banned.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

sfwarlock posted:

Wait, so if you spend more than a few days in the Astral Plane, you drop dead of dehydration as soon as you leave it? That seems... ridiculous.

Dungeons and Dragons cosmology, ladies and gentlemen.

(Although, to be fair, this was probably put in after one of the lead designers' rear end in a top hat players declared that he was just going to chill in the Astral Plane for a thousand years as a cheap form of time travel.)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Brannock posted:

V still has a habit of not listening to her familiar, I see.

V could have been dazed by Laurin's attack, which prevents a character from taking any actions on their turn.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh, thirty new posts, I wonder if something hap...

:stare:

Holly poo poo.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Wood you look at that: an :siren: update :siren:

Glad to see wizards take care of everything, as usual.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Forer posted:

I'd ask how you can fly in an airship without the airship pushing you around since fly doesn't tether you to an object but gently caress it I don't care and I don't want :words: about it (Though it would be better than tree puns at least)

You want :words: about it, you say?! Here's a fun physics thing to try: the next time you're in a steadily moving vehicle, try dropping something. You'll notice that it appears to fall straight down, even though there's no force acting on it to push it forward along with the vehicle. This is thanks to momentum: as soon as you let it go, the object effectively becomes a projectile moving forward at the same speed as your vehicle relative to the earth, and only appears to be falling straight down to you because you are moving forward as fast as it is.

As such, as long as the airship doesn't change its direction while you were in the air and there were no forces (such as wind resistance) acting against you, jumping or flying while on an airship wouldn't fling you backwards. If you're on the deck of the ship and being buffeted by the wind, you could probably convince your DM to use the wind rules, so you'd be fine as long as you're not moving faster than 30 MPH.

:goonsay:

Or you could just ignore physics, because if we weren't, that Forcecage that V dropped on Laurin should have totally torn through the airship as it flew.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

nimby posted:

D&D extreme sports: Get a wizard to teleport you to near-space, freefall without a way to levitate. Just need a cleric to mend your bones!

You don't even need that, the worst a fall can ever do to you is 20d6 damage. An upper-mid-level fighter with a good CON score can jump off of a skyscraper and walk away to sleep it off.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Tenebrais posted:

Is there any D&D comic that doesn't push a "Good is not the same as good" theme somewhere?

Rusty and Co. doesn't mention alignment at all, except for the establishment of the main "here are some monsters that are player characters" gimmick.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Xykon could easily polymorph himself into a living human and regain his taste buds. (Liches are immune to all polymorph effects except those cast on themselves.) Polymorph is a 4th-level spell, which he should have plenty of, so if he really, really missed coffee he could pop back into the realm of the living long enough to have a cup.

(If anyone wants to get extremely pedantic and say that polymorph doesn't work on undead because the rules text says it targets a "willing living creature touched" and Xykon isn't living, you could use polymorph any object to accomplish the same effect using a much higher spell slot.)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Where's Durkula?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

NihilCredo posted:

Notable exception: the recently-renamed Fort Jewkiller, Spain.

I thought you were kidding.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cat Mattress posted:

Then why do the SRD specify that undead, golems and oozes aren't affected by losing their head from a vorpal sword?

If there were no crits, then the vorpal effect would never kick in for creatures such as oozes, constructs, and undead, so there would be no point to specify what happens to them.

This isn't a crit, this is a natural 20! :eng99:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Did Roy ever purchase (or mention purchasing) a Resurrection scroll on-screen? Chucking Belkar's corpse through the shell and then resurrecting it would be pretty excellent.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The thrall is going to crash the airship into the building with the hopes of killing enough people to sway the vote. This will not violate the rules of the Godsmoot because of a technicality.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

sebmojo posted:

this thread can and has been every bit as retardedly autistic as the gitp baseline

Yes, but what is its alignment?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Len posted:

I didn't think spells could miss?

Prismatic Spray is a cone-shaped burst. It doesn't take any special skill or luck to aim a burst, so it doesn't "miss" under the traditional definition, but you can deliberately not hit anything with it by aiming it in a direction that doesn't have anyone in it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The best part about the drowning rules is that drowning doesn't deal damage: it sets your HP to zero. So, if you're under some sort of effect that lets you keep fighting at negative hit points, you can drop yourself down to -300 HP, then stick your head in a bucket of water and let Davy Jones heal you back up to 0.

Also, you only need one round of air in your lungs to reset the timer entirely.

These guys are fine.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cat Mattress posted:

If you're not a tarrasque, you die at -10 hit points.

Frenzied Berserkers (from Complete Warrior) can fight at any negative hit point value as long as they're raging, with the disadvantage that you must keep attacking things, and if you stop raging while at negative HP, you stop living too.

MikeJF posted:

I feel like that's the kind of thing a lot of DMs would tell you to gently caress off on.

Yes, but you see, the rules clearly state that
:goonsay:

(why do i still know any of this it's been years since i played any d20 game)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

PFlats posted:

Drowning puts you at 0 and then -1 HP, so cure light wounds would heal water in your lungs. Unless you're dead.

Not if you stay underwater! If you drop to -1 HP from drowning and are then healed up to positive (even by a powerful spell like Heal, which cures up to 150 HP), next round you die anyway.

These rules aren't very well thought-out.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Kadath posted:

How do you even gently caress up kickstarter so bad that you raise a million dollars but lose money and create even more impediments to doing your work?

This was long enough ago that it was before good best practices for backer rewards were figured out. A lot of super successful early Kickstarters had this problem, where they'd try to get people to buy in at the $25 tier by offering cool exclusive merch that wound up costing $20 to produce and ship. The $3,000 donation doesn't count for much when you have to spend that on airfare, hotel, and transportation for the lucky guy you promised to give a personal tour of your favorite bars in San Francisco. This is how you wind up with a million Kickstarter dollars where $950,000 has been spent on things other than the $200,000 you needed.

Stretch goals, too, wound up being pretty ridiculous. They should ideally be "if we make X more money we will print our book on ultra-deluxe paper" or other things that would improve the quality of the final product and have a low per-unit cost but have high enough setup costs that it wouldn't be worth it unless enough people are buying it. What Rich and a lot of other Kickstarter pioneers did, however, was effectively sell additional products with the stretch goals. So, on top of barely making any money per unit after sending out the backer rewards, you ALSO have to spend a bunch more money making something entirely new which further devalues every dollar you've made so far.

Best practices are now to treat Kickstarter like a preorder system.

e: wow apparently i didn't see the entire rest of the page before i posted, thanks phone

blastron fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 9, 2017

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

MikeJF posted:

I wish for an algorithm that can determine whether whether an arbitrary program and input will run forever or halt in finite time.

Granted, but it's given to you in the form of utterly inscrutable black box hardware. It either proves that P=NP or that there exist computing machines that can't be reduced to Turing machines, but since you can't tell it's academically worthless.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The only way to make the alignment chart work is to redefine the words. Good/Evil is Selfless/Selfish, and Law/Chaos is Groups/Individuals. Alignment charts still suck though.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Mage chat can soak up pages upon pages in the World of Darkness thread, and that’s a thread that is largely already tired of Mage chat. The poor defenseless souls in this thread have no chance of resisting.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cat Mattress posted:

That's a terrible font.

Arcabia, the Beastlanbs, Ysgarb, Habes, and let's not forget the Feywilb and the Shabowfell.

Gonna take my wizard on a planar vacation to Gebenna and Mecbanus. I might stop in the Nine bells or babes on the way back.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

There’s also Last Thursdayism, which is the possibility that the world was created with an entire history and chronology, so everyone thinks the world was created a thousand years ago when they really just popped into being immediately before strip #1.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

So are the gods always the same gods, or is Thor only Thor because that’s what the setting demanded?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Mystic Mongol posted:

They've all got the Sphinx Pox, and will die in six weeks from it.

When the hell did that happen?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Sub-boss Zyklon.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Phenotype posted:

My head canon is that there's a trace of the Flesh-to-Stone spell that remains when you turn an adventurer to stone, so when you hit the statue with Stone-to-Flesh it just counters the effects of the FtS spell.

This has the added wrinkle that, if you hit a regular statue with StF, even the statue's clothing ends up being made of flesh.

I recall reading a description of Flesh to Stone that explained that different kinds of organic matter turns into different kinds of stone, so if you were to split open a petrified person you’d see crystalline blood vessels, soft sandstone organs, and so on. Stone to Flesh just does the same thing backwards, so if you were to make a statue mimicking the structure of a petrified person and then turn it to flesh you’d wind up with something much closer to a creature than just a pile of undifferentiated meat. (Still wouldn’t be alive, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Gun Jam posted:

Heroes’ Feast spell : did it specify if it can/can't nourish a vampire?

The spell description does not specify that it nourishes anyone, only that the targets spend an hour eating “ambrosial” food and gain statistical benefits as a result. Compare this to Goodberry, which explicitly states a berry provides nourishment equivalent to a “normal” meal.

In other words, DM discretion.