Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I just realized the last line has a sort of Epimenides paradox thing going on :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

TPNMVZ posted:

It may be just me, but the Elven Ambassador is so indistinguishable (except for the cut hair) from V's mate that I think it is his/her mate despite that V's mate is already established as a baker.

They're both elves and both have (different shades and lengths of) green hair? It's a stick figure comic, everyone looks alike. I'm sure V would have recognized him/her.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

Constantly???? It took seven years for 3E to be replaced.

There was this thing three years after 3E and four years before 4E, you may have heard of it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I own the core books and have played under three different DMs. The game sucks. Thank god I didn't sell my 3.x books.

:can:

While I think you were being overly hyperbolic in your criticism of 4e, I think it's a valid criticsm; the sameness of the different classes (at least, those filling the same role) is annoying in 4e. On the other hand, saying 3.x is better is like saying that because Order of the Stick is sometimes slow-paced, you should read Ctrl+Alt+Del instead. No, you shouldn't, it's terrible.

4e is basically the first tabletop RPG that has ever been properly balanced, and the sameness of the character classes is a side effect of that, and therefore should be tolerated.

But I guess if you like playing a game where the party wizard is literally better at everything than every other character, feel free to play 3.x. Whatever floats your boat.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Who What Now posted:

The fix to this is not playing with spergy assholes who power- and meta-game to absurdities.

If you get a group of people together who are new to 3.x, and aren't trying to power- or meta-game, the wizard will be better than all the other characters on accident. You have to actively meta-game in the other direction to even approach balance.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Comstar posted:

Burlow

Wanderer posted:

Birlew

Burlew.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Nosy_G posted:

The punchline doesn't even have anything to do with the storyline; it's a complete throw-away joke with no relevance to anything!

A joke? In a humor-driven comic strip? NO SIR, I DO NOT LIKE THIS AT ALL *serious face*

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

DrakePegasus posted:

As anyone who's read the first Harry Potter book (or any of them, really) could tell you, there are loads of famous wizards without a shred of common sense.

Literally every wizard/witch (no exaggeration) in the Harry Potter universe has incredibly little common sense/intelligence, for various reasons, but that's a discussion for another thread.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I like to think that the dark elf, in haste, didn't have any particular plane in mind, and happened to be craving some ranch-dipped vegetables at the time.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Cabbit posted:

a bunch of posts in the OOTS thread

For a second there I was like, "wait a minute, isn't this grognards.txt?"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Tinyn posted:

Why did Thog's rage end?

Rage lasts 3+Con mod rounds. It just ran out.

I find it amusing that these days I use d20srd.org exclusively to check on Order of the Stick mechanics.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

And knowing the usual 3.x edition method of cleric "balance," it probably incapacitates a monster for 1d4 rounds or something.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Cabbit posted:

The Conceal Spellcasting skill trick. Make a Sleight of Hand check, opposed by Spot checks. Anyone who fails cannot tell you're casting a spell. False Theurgy is also handy; it you make it look like you're casting a different spell than you actually are without a skill check. Doesn't change the actual spell effect, though, so it's best for things that are usually invisible (pretending to cast something innocuous like Detect Poison when you are, in fact, casting Charm Person).

Skill tricks are from Complete Scoundrel. You can use them once an encounter, or per minute outside of combat (barring class features). They own.

I always thought the main purpose of Still Spell and Silent Spell was to still be able to cast in situations when you couldn't move your hands and/or speak. Concealed Spellcasting doesn't really help there. . .

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Speedball posted:

I forget. What were the differences between portable hole and bag of holding, gameplay-wise?

You can store stuff in a portable hole, but you can also use it to make holes in walls. It's the same sort of portable hole you find in use by Wile E. Coyote.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

If you want an animal that lasts six seconds, go for it.

Six seconds is enough to trigger a trap, or fall over 150 feet. At 15gp per charge, it's fairly economical - a high level party could carry dozens of them and just spam the whole place with badgers or whatever.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

D&D alignments actually are supposed to work as a description of your character as "does stuff that [x]-aligned deities tend to want you to do" rather than as a description of a system of morals. They just get misinterpreted as a moral descriptor a lot.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

Notice how these two are pretty much the same?

Except that they're not, at all. Let me rephrase that for you.

LE: How can I do evil without breaking the law (perhaps by using the law in ways it was not meant to be used, hence "exploit")?
NE: How can I not get caught breaking the law (hence "get away with")?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Effingham posted:

Police LOVE stopping red sports cars

That's a myth, actually.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well if they're the most popular color,

Not by a long shot. White, black, silver, and grey all outnumber it by wide margins.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Noia posted:

I'd be more inclined to believe this if his expression had been an indifferent one, rather than an angry one.

Spoken like someone who's never experienced an infestation. Anger is a perfectly natural emotion when stomping a cockroach just because it's a cockroach.

edit: V I agree V

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 7, 2012

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Hmm... Burlow... burr low? :raise:

I'm sorry, I'm not quite following you.

"Rich."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Colon V posted:

Haley puts those ranks in Sleight of Hand to good use?

(:nws:) Sleight of Handjob, you might say?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

greatn posted:

Doesn't ressurect take like ten minutes to cast? V runs down the stairs freaking out and no one cares enough to check for THAT long?

V's a respectable adult; she can do what she wants, and he'll come back when he wants to come back, so there's no point chasing her down. Except, of course, for the fact that he's lying unconscious in a pit, but the rest of the Order doesn't know that.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

And yet this is still better than that horrible one-page derail about Durkon's accent.

OOTS thread during times where it's been a long time since an update:

70% alignment debates
20% things worse than alignment debates
10% "this is dumb, I'd rather be having an alignment debate" posts

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Vorgen posted:

So how did the Familicide spell reach all the Draketooths if Girard was dead? You'd think his death would block it from passing onto his kin. Aren't their corpses evidence that he was alive when V cast his spell?

Familicide gives no fucks whether or not Girard was dead. If you die, your grandchild dies; doesn't matter if the intervening generation is dead. Everyone in the Draketooth clan was directly blood-related to the black dragon V cast it on.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I, too, get annoyed when people missapply the philosophical concept of karma.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Yeah Man posted:

Ask and you shall receive.

That's. . . that's like, some sort of parody of grognards, right? :ohdear:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

:words:

You're not going to get much sympathy with this point of view here. This whole discussion started because of "caster supremacy" which is still a giant problem in Pathfinder as well as 3.x.

Factor_VIII posted:

However I do get the feeling that the approach with 4e was to try and make things easier for the GM by simply restricting the things players were able to do in previous editions

You mean like restricting what fighters can do by turning their "oh, it's my turn? swing sword AGAIN *roll dice*" into "woo! my turn! let me choose among my many interesting and varied abilities"? You mean restricting what players can do by including pretty much the same "you can do anything, here's a basic model to turn it into a skill check or whatever" as "Rule Zero" in 3.x? I can't think of a single thing you can do in 3.x and can't do in 4e except "become a wizard/cleric and be vastly, overwhelmingly superior to the other members of your party."

Factor_VIII posted:

(e.g. no teleporting)

You can't have even skimmed the 4e PHB and think this. Warlocks and eladrin (and especially eladrin warlocks) love the teleporting. You can make a character whose whole schtick is to teleport around and do cool teleportation tricks and stuff. You can make a monk that does the whole Dragonball Z move-so-fast-it's-a-teleport-and-punch-out-your-kidneys thing. You can be a wizard and set up teleportation circles to go places quickly.

Factor_VIII posted:

Also things you can do out of combat with magic seem much more restricted; rituals exist but are they are fewer in number, take longer to cast, are harder to pull off and are pretty expensive.

They're not that expensive, there are at least as many as there were non-combat utility spells in the core books of 3.x, and aren't completely game-breaking anymore. I fail to see how this is a bad change. Something's gotta give if you're trying to design a system where wizards and clerics aren't vastly superior to the other options.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

So how did "teleportation requires line of sight" turn into "no teleporting" anyway?

Your argument is looking pretty bad. No teleporting would be a marginally legit complaint but "teleportation shouldn't require line of sight" is a minor gripe at best, not a huge glaring flaw with the system.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

Fine, I should have specified I was talking about teleporting more than 100', which requires a level 28 ritual that takes 10 min to do freely in 4e. And I never presented it as "huge glaring flaw".

You can go to "most major temples, important wizards’ guilds, and large cities" with the level 8 ritual Linked Portal. And remember the part where we're trying to make wizards not super-game-breaking?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I don't really know the rules for vampires very well, but Durkon, being a cleric who already even cast Death Ward, is going to be protected from most of the vampiry stuff, and without those things Malack is lower level than Durkon given his level adjustment for being a vampire. He's certainly lower Hit Dice, so shouldn't Durkon just own him by turning? Vampire myths are what the whole D&D "turn undead" thing is based on AFAIK, so it'd be appropriate. Even if that doesn't work, it's undead vs. cleric; it's not hard to predict the winner.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Niton posted:

This image would be goblins.jpg if I could find the original from before he completely redid it, procrastinating and ruining his schedule shaded it in completely:

I can't loving get over how lopsided this dude's head is.

Like seriously, I have no artistic talent and I've basically never drawn anything more complicated than stick figures, but even I know the whole "draw an oval and put a cross on it for eyes/nose" thing. Does he have hand tremors or something? How can his characters be so lumpy?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

sebmojo posted:

There is only one Tarrasque :spergin:

And doesn't it only surface once every hundred years for like a week or something like that? I don't remember; I don't have my old 3.0 Monster Manual anymore.

In any case, there may be even more ridiculously giant and unkillable monsters, from epic-level sourcebooks. If I recall correctly, the Devastation Beetle (a giant, apocalyptic cockroach) is the most ridiculous thing in 3.x.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I'm surprised that Haley and Elan seem to have no problem with Durkula but Belkar rightly points out that the cleric they have now isn't the Durkon they once knew.

Belkar was present for Malack's "if you res me I'll be a completely different person" speech.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Zogundar posted:

average party is say, 20.8th level (Guessing at their levels here, but that's x5 16th level characters and x1 24th ECL for Durkon)

How the hell did you average five sixteens and a twenty-four and come up with 20.8? The average of that is actually 17 1/3.

But your point is a salient, if spergy, one. By the rules, there's no reason why a high-level party can't be challenged by a large number of low-level things. Of course, any competent DM knows that they can't actually be challenged by mooks who couldn't touch their AC with a ten-foot pole.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

razorrozar posted:

The magic is back, it works again!

Am I the only one who is absolutely loving sick to death of the stupid "is rich ok" thing? :fuckoff:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I really wish Rich just wrote "I. . . I must not fail" so that this discussion didn't exist.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Belkar's problem isn't emotional, it's practical. Belkar was present for Malack's "vampire-me isn't the same person as pre-vampire-me" speech, so he knows that Durkon is not only Evil but also not Durkon. That makes him not trustworthy, and if you're going to voluntarily let someone take your blood, they better be loving trustworthy.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

TheAceOfLungs posted:

(Has anyone yet speculated that the MitD is a Blue-Eyes White Dragon?)

(...I'll get my hat.)

That would be pretty great, but sadly his eyes are yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The relative brightnesses of the stars aren't correct for it to be Orion, and the rest of the sky is all wrong, as far as I can tell.