Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Lancer is really fun but I'll be honest it's one of the worst written rulebooks in terms of formatting I've ever read. It introduces concepts 50 pages before defining them, there's no sense of "These are the terms. These are how they're used." It feels very... scattered? Very little of it made sense the first time I read it, I had to read it a second time and only on a NG+ reading of it did the stuff in the beginning have a context to make sense.

Like, I had my mech destroyed, and I had to find what that actually MEANS--it has references to "Your mech is destroyed" as consequences for a while but doesn't actually explain it until 80 pages in. I had to CTRL-F every instance of the word "Destroyed" where it tells you a lot about HOW to get destroyed, but not what it MEANS. Am I dead? Can I repair it? What can I actually DO? I get it's hard to pace that out, to structure that out sometimes, but if I didn't have a PDF of it I could ctrl-F through it'd be pretty miserable to play.

The lore section is that on a larger scale, introducing a dozen names pages before explaining what they are and basically only making sense if you read through the whole thing twice.

Game itself is absolutely great though, super well-tuned, really fast action, really complex and varied build options!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
In my Lancer campaign, my character's background is a noble from a world that thought they were the only world, overthrown by Union for doing the kind of thing nobility tends to do to their populations, 3 generations removed. My Lancer is trying to learn the strange technology of these weird invaders to eventually fight back against Union and re-establish hereditary monarchy (but character growth and in-game combat actions are leading them to be self-sacrificing and accidentally turning into a good person), so the setting has given my group at least a lot of like, story to work with without being set in the Utopia itself?

As a setting it does have a lot of words for the part of the setting you, by definition, will not be spending much time in, though.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Really it's the gods'fault for not being able to cooperate and causing the entire situation in the first place

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
It's always great seeing one of the older comics still do banter-gags like it did back in the earlier days of webcomics but still do it in a way that's not like... I don't feel like I feel when I go back and read early Sluggy Freelance where the wave of a dead era of humor hits me this is good solid classic bantering. A lot of time humor feels dated to either referential "I recognize this" or "this was funny at the time" kind of stuff with long-running webcomics that carry things on, but OotS manages to keep doing it well and I don't know that's affecting me more than I thought it should for a gag comic update you know? Even in these our modern times you can still get silly and it's ok.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Put me in for 375 as my guess on the non-existent betting pool.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

oobey posted:

It feels wrong to me to criticize GRRM, because I don't believe creators "owe" their fans a drat thing. And if GRRM is content in his life, more power to him. These are statements I firmly believe.

I'm not sure how to reconcile that with my immense disappointment that I no longer care, at all, about a series I had previously been quite interested in. Is it possible to be frustrated about that fact without being frustrated by GRRM as a person? Honest question.

You can do as you like in this world hth

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oh dang my dude isn't even being rendered in the normal stick style for dragons, dude's got full resolution graphics. I love when a game drops that kind of art shift on you to let you know you're in trouble.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I can't remember when I started reading this but like. I want to say "Oh yeah I didn't start reading it until much later on" but when I think about how much my life has changed in the time I've been reading this yeah uh wow. 2007? 2008? Even conservatively I've been reading this comic for about 40% of my life what the gently caress.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Huh, I'm not really feeling any decline in quality in Oglaf tbh. Like, sure it had some really strong strips frontloaded early on but it still has gems, and at its lowest quality it's still good?

Gunnerkrigg court reads like the author has long covid or something and is dropping into incoherence?

Goblins is still amazingly bad.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oglaf just updated again today and it's still pretty good, yeah! It got a sensible chuckle out of me

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
3.x especially had a weird problem where it inherited classes from ADnD, where they were lifestyle careers. Being a Druid didn't mean you had a few levels in this--it meant you were part of the druidic order, that to advance in level you had to attend Druid moots, that to reach higher levels you had to win duels and do politics. Being a fighter meant you got a castle, and men-at-arms, and a title of nobility as part of your class features. Your class wasn't something you could easily multiclass around in ADnD because they were meant to be entire wholesale lifestyle identities.

3.x did away with that and made cross-class penalties limited to none beyond the penalty of poor optimization, so you ended up with a mess where your character's backstory had you take one level of monk for the dodge bonus, but... how does that fit into your story? How does being an actual Monk fit into you being also a Fighter and a Sorcerer and three different splatbook classes? They stopped being identities and became level-packages you took, but they were level-packages entwined inextricably with their flavor despite it not working like that mechanically anymore.

This kind of hits the peak in Pathfinder where it all ends up with everyone making ideal level 20 builds with 10 different classes stuffed into there which make like, no sense narratively.

I think you have to really define what a class is and if you want to use it or not, it's a very specific thing that only really works best in very narrow-focused definitions of characters. Making your character a la carte or making it a very well defined class, but trying to do both worlds is just going to lead to a mess.

I think that 3.x is such a weird middleground of the two is why it's so hard to figure out how to have, say, a vampire wizard, because you need to balance having the vampire powers with the levels and honestly just giving it a ton of bonuses and a ton of penalties that balance each other out sounds like the best way to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
3.x absolutely made the mistake of going too granular but not granular ENOUGH where you get issues like yeah, if you want to toss a chair or swing off a chandelier, well, we're granular enough we have skills that are related to that. We have spot/search for seeing things and rules for seeing and it's granular enough that the thought exercise of not being able to see the moon is relevant parody.