Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Am I the only one really looking forward to seeing Nale eventually try to double-cross Tarquin, and have Tarquin not only see it coming, but use the betrayal to his own ends? He probably won't kill him (at least not directly) but I would be sincerely disappointed if he didn't already have an ace up his sleeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Who What Now posted:

It's not tactically sound, but it is naratively sound. And that's whats most important.
It also means there will be someone watching Nale's every move, and who will not hesitate to destroy him utterly if he steps a toe out of line.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was under the impression that Thog was dead. Not that that's ever stopped anyone in a D&D game. Ever.

Still, maybe he's having a blast in the Blood War, or whatever equivalent Rich has got.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

You say that like OOtS could someday end, a concept which I decline to consider at this time.
There are far worse things that could happen to a comic than it ending, especially one as consistently intelligent and funny as OOTS.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:siren: New Comic "Yes, It Is"

Well, it looks like another player will be making a move soon.
The otyugh is a nice touch. I like this page. Simple and effective with far-reaching implications.

So, theory: Tarquin will swoop in at the last minute, just according to plan. Unfortunately (and foolishly), though, he announced his plans on-panel which diffuses all dramatic tension. This means that his plan is going to fail spectacularly. And now we know why. The Biggest Fish is back in the pond.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

jng2058 posted:

That is in the rules. Smash the phylactery without him dead...well, destroyed, I guess...and he can make a new one, albeit at great expense and several weeks of spellcasting.
And also a profound sense of vulnerability.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Speedball posted:

Interesting in theory, but that might be like trying to see your own blind spot.
Stare at a slightly-painfully bright white/yellow wall?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poor, daft fools. Explaining the plan on-panel. That's a death sentence!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poil posted:

Lots of summoned monsters is nice but if the blues and elves have a caster with banishment ready it could turn out badly for Redcloak.
And then he'll just cast something else. Redcloak's an epic-level cleric, remember?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Donraj posted:

I don't think it's ever been established that Redcloak is epic-level?

OotS Wiki posted:

Since Redcloak cast an Extended Summon Monster VII spell at the siege of Azure City, he is almost certainly at least a level 15 cleric, also, he is seen casting Blade Barrier, remarking that it would deliver 15d6 damage. Blade Barrier deals 1d6 per caster level (maximum 15d6).
Maybe not epic, but drat close.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Given that one of Rich's main themes is that Evil is not 'one big happy family', and what happened in Start of Darkness, I think it's a fair bet that Redcloak is looking for some way to get the upper hand on Xykon, and/or dispose of him...

After the ritual is complete.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Link for convenience.

Pretty much what I expected. I'm just glad that Niu will be able to tell the others. Maybe? I don't know if anyone can use Sending scrolls.
I doubt he'd give it to her if she couldn't. Being "the one for stealth" implies she took a couple levels in Rogue, which means Use Magic Device is a class skill.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Niton posted:

So, I think I found something interesting.. With what we know now, it seems less and less likely that he was lying about the contents of the gate. The question is: how true is it, and if it's accurate, how does he know what he does?
Dramatic irony + lucky guess + Rich is a clever dick.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Danzou posted:

It was quite a long time ago, when his Chron's Disease started getting worse and he started updating infrequently. I hope if he gets better, he'll try to tackle it again. After all, didn't he draw new content for Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales?
Oh, it's ChronCrohn's? I never knew what it was, just that it was incurable, but not life-threatening. Makes sense he wouldn't want to go public about a disease like that.

E: Sorry.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 15, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've got to lean towards agreeing with Frank Miller here. You can't really turn a comic into a movie. No matter what you do, you can't make a perfect 1:1 adaptation, because they're inherently different mediums. For one, you can fit a lot of detail into a panel that would be completely missed in a movie, because you can't stop a film at will (not without completely breaking the flow, anyways).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Clearly, they'll go through half of a conversation arguing, and Redcloak will THINK she means the phylactery, because that's what's being set up here. Then the whole thing will get turned on its head somehow, because I don't think Rich would be the type to make this much build-up for a simple gag.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Whatever Tsukiko's trying to do, it might be a bad idea to do so, considering Redcloak's almost certainly higher level than her. And as a Mystic Theurge, that means she's seriously lacking in the high-level spells department.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Speedball posted:

Man, the strip has gotten even darker than usual lately, hasn't it?
Your name. That phrase. Batman's Shameful Secret.

My braaaaaaain :supaburn:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Affi posted:

Well what will he bomb the most out of y'think? "Oh Tsuikoku? Yeah I saw her chasing after the resistance guys, i'm sure she'll be back soon!"

or

"I don't care." or even "What? She's gone? Huh."
I think someone mentioned that the idea that he fed her to her own ghouls would be amusing enough that Xykon wouldn't care about the details. So lying may not even be necessary.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm willing to bet that the comic's going to end on Strip 1000, or right around there. What with Rich mentioning that the halfway point is "firmly in the horizon", with Belkar's seven weeks quickly running short, and with the plot arches for every major character bearing down all at once.

Either the strip will end right around 1,000 or there will be one last major twist near there (perhaps involving what's inside the rift), and then we'll have the last-last book after.

How many pages ARE left in this book, anyways?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Niton posted:

While it's as simple as saying "I had one of our craftsmen fix the chain before I brought it down", I can't help but think you might be on to something.

Zetetica posted:

If he were to mess anything up, it would probably be because of the beating and explosive runes the phylactery took after Redcloak had already teleported away.
"Well bring him here, he did it wrong."

"He what."

And then Redcloak realizes that the craftsman had no way to know how the band was supposed to close he didn't know about the Explosive Runes damage, and then poo poo goes tits-up.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 26, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alchenar posted:

edit no 2: my, it was awfully convenient that Redcloak lost an eye and had to wear an eyepatch right when his next sequence of strips was going to be mainly him alone with a number of identically drawn goblins.
:goonsay:

You mean the hobgoblins? Who are orange?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 26, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FMguru posted:

If only he had some signature piece of clothing that he always wore so you'd always know which goblin was him.
You might even name him after it or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zore posted:

That isn't the argument, the argument was over whether it was murder or not.

Burlew didn't want it to seem like cold-blooded murder. He added strips to make Crystal even less sympathetic because he didn't want people to perceive Haley as a murderer. It has nothing to do with alignment at all.

I'm also surprised that no on has brought up the massive, massive argument that erupted on GitP for years over if Roy's attack on Miko after she murdered Shogo was justified. That delved into a level of crazy I've never seen, and I think its still a bannable offense to post a topic on "Is X morally justified?".
Mentioning "Miko" and the words "alignment" or "justified" in the same sentence is basically a bannable offense there.

I avoid the GitP forums for the same reason I avoid the MSPA forums. Because the people who frequent them scare the ever-loving gently caress out of me. Say what you will about the mods being a bit trigger-happy, but SomethingAwful is by far my favorite forum. The community is dumb, but, with the exception of a few people and places, in much more managable ways, that actually encourages discussion, rather than makes you want to cleanse the servers with holy fire.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Has there been either evidence or Word of God that Haley is CG? I always thought she was CN, though leaning good (giving a double meaning to her "I'm not good enough" hand-wringing when she was pining over Elan).
She has described herself as Chaotic Good(ish). So, she probably toes the line.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cabbit posted:

I cannot properly express how happy I am to see that panel become an avatar.
Thank 7c Nickel for making the gif. All I did was pay $5.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I used to moderate the 8-Bit Theater forums
:ohdear: You poor bastard.

Fans are stupid. People are stupid. And online, we have less of a reason to not share them, and so you end up with a situation where someone who's 13 and talking out their rear end gets exactly as much voice as a literary professor.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

New comic - http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0832.html
Tell me you have a plan, Redcloak. :ohdear:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just wait until they explore the world inside the rift and find its God-King and Emperor, a suspiciously familiar bearded man behind a computer desk.
And he will defeat Xykon, a broken and half-crazed old man, by simply drawing, then erasing him. It will be a fitting climax for a story that's been built up and waited on for so long. Afterwards, the greatest threat to the characters' existence will be an event in said creator's life, which won't be seen as heavy-handed or self-indulgent at all. At the end, when the last strip is the same as the first strip, except Roy has a magic horn, it will be a good and fulfilling ending, and not at all a copout.

No, I'm not bitter at all.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 31, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Let's just say that while I didn't start writing the post with the intention to draw that parallel, it did occur to me before I was less than half done.

The climactic event that saves the OotS world: Durkon casts Cure Disease on Rich.
Then again, we are talking about a series where one of the second (?) book's major climaxes is a riddle contest with a sentient runaway train, solved by a much less classy "what's in my pocket".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not only climax, a cliffhanger between book three and four. I would call it the shittiest resolution in the history of literature but then as you were saying there's the last book.

... there's got to be a thread for this.
I forgot about that- probably because I was six when Wizard and Glass came out.

maltesh posted:

What series are you talking about?
The Dark Tower series. It starts... interesting, and kind of spirals into crazy batshit land from there. Stephen King is a good storyteller, but kind of a terrible writer.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 31, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think I'm going to pledge $29. I read Start of Darkness once before (friend bought it), and it absolutely blew me away, so having it myself would be great. Plus, the $10 pledge by itself would be a great purchase, so the way I see it, I'm paying $20 for a book I already wanted.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems my credit union's site is down for maintanance, so I can't make the transfer from saving to checking that I'd need to keep up my respectable buffer. When does the thing end?

EDIT2: Alright, made the payment promise. Now I just need to make sure not to forget.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 1, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm really hoping for OOTS dice right now. That would make my day millennium.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Courtesy of the CAD Mock Thread:

It's still there, taunting him.

Meanwhile, the OotS Kickstarter just broke $400,000.
I really would not be surprised at all if that $150 was him trying to boost his ego.

So, do you think the Kickstarter madness is going to keep there from being a regular update for a while? It seems likely.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Speedball posted:

So why do some guys in other threads in this forum snark about OotS not being a good webcomic, again? Hell, there's somebody doing it right now in "Webcomic Readers." Is it really the stick-figure thing, or what?
This is going to sound horribly self-congratulatory and circlejerk-y, but you can kind of tell a lot about someone by if (and, more importantly, why) they like or dislike OotS. Not to say that everyone who likes it is great, and everyone who doesn't sucks, far from it. But it's a useful metric.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

You can always go down to the Webcomics thread and see mine, then, since I was more than happy to elaborate after reading Speedball's post.
Why would you be in this thread if you don't like the comic? Unless you're rabble-rousing, or something? I just don't understand the thought process. :psyduck:

I mean, I could just as easily dismiss your opinions because you have a Homestuck avatar, but if I then went into the Homestuck thread and started posting, I'd look a little dumb, don't you think?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wahad posted:

And unless he remarries sometime in the future, he's not going to have a mate to go home to, either, given their divorce.
"I'm going to go win back my husband/wife" would work for similar purposes, but also have similar problems.

I'm kind of reminded of Dwarves from Discworld, honestly. Keeping your gender private seems to be a cultural thing. That, or it's just a complete non-issue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Literally Sharks posted:

:frogsiren:833: Villainy Afoot:frogsiren:
Is that a reference to a specific module, or is it just pretty generic "phylactery behind a bazillion traps"?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cuchulain posted:

Its the setting for the final dungeon. The party will invade it to finally destroy Xykon. We already know the big reveal, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Soylentbits posted:

I'm still not 100% sure that Jirix isn't going to try to make a power play at one point. Hobgoblins and Goblins don't like each other and Redcloak has ordered the deaths of hundreds of them. Redcloak might by Jirix's Xykon.
Of all the goblins to dislike, Redcloak seems like just about the least logical choice. He's an agent of their shared deity, he's shown his good intentions by establishing a goblin nation in the first place, and while he's very plancentric, he no longer goes out of his way to inconvenience hobgoblins. (Quite the opposite, in fact.)

Maybe he'd want a coup for the Mantle of the Dark One, but I kind of doubt it.