Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Goblins gets updated more often than OOTS, doesn't it :negative:

OOTS has updated twice in a month, Rich has started drawing faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It appears that different people use the words "vanity press” to mean different things and you're getting mad about that.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

I thought vanity pressing was having sex on a makeup table.

No, its having sex on an ironing board.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, she's a bit of a jerk. I expected her to fold at this point, the game's obviously up.

Either way, this fight has gone too long. She's just being an rear end in a top hat without any stated reason.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Gun Jam posted:

Even if "the order is a bunch of idiot you can't trust", she could still try to talk to them - convince them, enlist (if only to put them in a place where they can't make things worse) or manipulate. I mean, you think they'll do more damage if they blunder in blindly than if they'll know to, say, "do not enter the tunnels under pain of death"

Yeah, why is she wasting time fighting when she can just tell them to gently caress off?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Did Rich take only 10 days for a new comics? I think this is the fastest turnaround since the kickstarter.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

But what alignment is he?

He plays for the Panthers, who must be worshippers of Malar, therefore he's chaotic evil and loving with fantasy players is all part of the plan.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Belkar ships Elan to Abu Dhabi

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Who plays Haley? Emma Stone?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

ikanreed posted:

The various escape hatches have been discussed to death, but I personally favor 3 distinct cheats.

He gets rich and doesn't need to retire, his next birthday cake will be the best tasting one of his life, and he will draw a painting of someone breathing, then give up on profession(painter)

If that sounds stupid, it's because dodging prophecy on a "well technically" is always pretty dull

I still think becoming a literal sexy shoeless god of war is the best explanation.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I Ii
II I_ ?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Rumda posted:

this seems to be the earliest the thread search gets which is still later than the previous

Immediately followed by alignment chat

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I was wondering about that timeline. I thought she was saying it had only been 2 weeks since they left Girard's gate and that didn't add up at all.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

ZearothK posted:

I wonder if that will be before 2040.

Assuming Rob stays healthy the entire time

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
How many arcs are left in OOTS? They're at the last gate and Redcloak already knows about the Gods plan to destroy the world rather than let the Snarl free.

There was a reference to Xykon's astral castle so that's another arc, but after that where does the story go?

Each arc will take 3 years to finish, of course.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The Monster in the Dark is probably going to side with the Order against Xykon, which gives them a very powerful potential boost.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
These pages are going to be a really annoying interruption to the story's flow when the book comes out.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I think it depends on if Banjo is a lawful or chaotic God. There's a lot more leeway for chaotic priests.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
He could have a 5th quiddity like sepia since he comes out of bardic tradition

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
How many new gods have appeared over the generations?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I hope Rich is okay!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
65 updates over 2 years is about once every 1.5 week, a pretty reasonable schedule.

I just wish there was consistency with the updates.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Most atheists are pretty chill about it, because religion just isn't part of their lives.

The ones who go out of their way to talk about atheism are usually the extremists.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Redcloak was offered formal acknowledgement of something goblinkind had already earned (Gobbotopia) in return for giving up their greatest leverage for further political gain. On the whole, it might actually have been a worthwhile offer! But it's not trivial that he should have accepted it.

I don't think he believed Durkon. So that choice wasn't real to him.

Right now its the goblins and Xykon (even if he's terrible) against the world, and all gods except the Dark One.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Depends heavily on your GM to play along. Also, it'd be more actuate to say "share the poverty" until a few generations have passed and Ikanreed's observation is in full flower. And even then there's orders that have taken their vows more seriously than others.

Also, even if the Order outfits you at the start, are you allowed to take a full share of the loot? Or use it towards your personal equipment? I'd give that serious side eye as a GM myself.

It definitely would depend on the GM. If I were the GM i would force the party to take side quests because the Hospitaler's order keeps making demands.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Has any author ever made a dumb decision on canon, argued with fans about it, and then gone "actually I like that better" and retconned it to something else?

Seriouspost - Rob Balder

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Are the Modrons powerful enough to detect the entrances to the secret passages?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Huh. I just noticed the callback to 831 there. Nice touch.

I went back to 830 (another wall of text page) and saw that Redcloak's spell doesn't control the gate, it allows The Dark One to move it to a different plane to threaten the other gods.

That makes me think Team Evil is going to get to the gate, but Durkon will be able to convince Redcloak/The Dark One to close the gates and contain the snarl.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is a whiskey-addicted mimic considered chaotic neutral, or does their alignment change depending on what they're mimicking?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Rich wrote a strip about how much this scene with Serini is dragging down the plot.

Just move the story on instead, Rich!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If Rich is bound by the OGL, why wouldn't a steamer running an adventure with 100% D&D content also be bound?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Thank God Rich is OK.

So, you heard the lady, the jokes write themselves! What have you got? How about..."I didn't think Roy would take the audition lightly!"

"It isn't the length of the sword, it's how you use it."

"Fighters are too dumb to know the difference between length and breadth"

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

OOTS 113 has Roy explicitly telling Eugene that he's taking the family greatsword to Fighter College.

Julia would've been probably 6-8 years old at that time and would've remembered it. Eugene already forgot about it the moment he dismisses Roy.

I don't remember anything from when I was 6 except my friends and a family vacation. I don't think Julia was paying attention to what sword Roy was carrying.

We'll find out in 2 months!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Rich underscores the "up here" so that's got to be important. But why is Eugene bothering to disguise himself as Julia?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I thought there would have been more to that conversation with "Julia"

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mmkay posted:

Why even is Eugene hiding from Roy, it's not like the last time they met it ended with a shouting match or anything.

That's why i thought it was realy Julia at first

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Yeah, he probably spent all that time away from his family protecting people from evildoers.

A lot of great people were terrible parents.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I always figured Belkar would be a free-willed undead as a way of satisfying the prophecy.

This makes sense - Belkar as a lich lord ruling the North Pole would be a fun end to his story

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Serini is Good because she traded the trolls for their blood instead of just killing them, treating them like equals.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1227.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Robviously posted:

At this point, i doubt Rich has any space for anything else in his outline if he doesn't have it completely plotted already. At minimum we need to deal with:

Xykon
Redcloak
MitD
The IFCC
Eugene
The Snarl

and that's a list just off the top of my head. I'm absolutely sure there's another plot hook or three dangling that I'm forgetting about. Rich has stated that this is gonna be the final book, though, so I'm sure it's gonna be closer to 300 pages than 250 given what we still got left if he touches on everything. I just don't see him going back on that and doing another 300+ pages to get another book out of it.

There's probably going to be something with Tarquin, too.