Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ashcans posted:

Mostly if Belkar does kick it in a final sense, I wonder if they would replace him in the party and with who.

I could see Malack replacing him, for a little while at least. He really doesn't like Nale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Redcloak has won a victory with Gobbotopia, but keep in mind that Xykon wants to rule the whole world through fear of the Snarl. One city of goblins isn't going to keep him happy or even slightly amused for any length of time. Even after switching the phylactery, there's no way Redcloak and his army can bring down Xykon. If he tried, Xykon is just going to wipe out the whole city.

Redcloak needs to play along with Xykon to the end, so that Xykon can end up being neutralized by the Snarl or through some other scheme.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

With the Order on the ropes like this, especially when Xykon shows up, I predict that one of the Fiends will take over V's body to help the Linear Guild fight Xykon. Then in the struggle, the Order will somehow destroy the gate. Belkar doing it through self-sacrifice could be the final act in his transition from evil to neutral, but that's probably not going to happen.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Y'know, it's been a while since we've seen Ian Starshine and his buddy... Roy could really use the backup right now, think they're going to show up as the high-level adventurers they're supposed to be?

Though I don't think a pair of rogues are going to change the Order's fortunes a lot...

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Android Blues posted:

If this was so, though, he might just have stocked up on anti-vampire stuff. Makes sense and it's probably easier + more ubiquitous than hunting around for rare magic items like Roy's sword or taking obscure anti-undead feats.

Tarquin's like an evil Batman, always prepared for everything. He probably has magic items giving him immunity to all kinds of spells in case of a scry-and-die attack. His evil adventuring life also got him topped up wit rare magic items and obscure feats.

He's not going to beat Xykon, because that would make for a terrible plot twist, but he probably could take on Xykon with a surprise attack. But then he'd probably lose to Redcloak.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I'd like to see how Elan reacts when/if Xykon kills Nale. Tarquin is protected by the power of dramatic plot to survive until Elan comes to dethrone him, so if anyone dies to Xykon it's going to be Nale.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

greatn posted:

If he had put in the :effort: to follow V instead of being all "I don't need this poo poo right now" they never would have been separated by some lame magical trap.

You're expecting a lot from a warrior who jumped onto an undead dragon to have a sword fight with the lich sorcerer that can destroy an army of paladins on his own.

The more important thing to remember, regarding killing Xykon: Who is going to destroy his phylactery? He can't die if Redcloak is alive and still on his side. If Redcloak destroys it off-panel, that'd be kinda lame, but if he was going to do it in the comic, he'd probably have done it by now.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Redcloak's already had Xykon in the phylactery. He's not betraying him until the a gate is in hand and secure.

Redcloak now has Gobbotopia to return to, has had Tsukiko try to steal his ritual (on Xykon's orders) and he might want his eye back. He'll still want Xykon around for the gate-scheme, but I don't think he'd terribly mind if Xykon was out of the picture completely. Dude's way too strong now.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Danzou posted:

Xykon didn't even know there was another half to the ritual he was given, and it doesn't seem like Tsukiko had time to explain her findings to him.

Yes he did.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Plus it sets up some of the basics of vampire-life for Durkula.

With Durkon out of the picture, the Linear Guild is now no longer themed along Evil Opposites. Nale should fix that.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

jng2058 posted:

So here's hoping we see all of Team Tarquin soon.

I started re-reading from this point, and the last panel of this is just so expressive. It's amazing what Rich can do with stick figures.

Then I noticed how Tarquin mentions that he's spent so much time preparing to defend himself against obscure classes. My earlier post about him being an evil Batman was more of a joke, but I guess he really is evil Batman.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Belkar was there when Malack talked about the Protection from Daylight, if he remembers and can tell Vaarsuvius about it, V can get the protection dispelled when outside. It could even the odds back again.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I like how Qarr's remark doesn't get rebuffed by V's familiar, just says there's still time for a worse murderer to come along.

Because this means even V's familiar knows V is worse than Xykon.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I'm thinking TPK and Rich posting he got tired of OotS and wants to wrap it up this way.

Xykon wins. The end.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I think the most important thing here is that Roy now knows how to do that spell-disrupting move he learned in the afterlife.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Angry Avocado posted:

Yeah you're being nitpicky as all hell, but I get what you mean. V didn't seal the deal by saying those four words, they weren't that important for that moment. Touching the orb sealed the deal, and arguably the whole conversation leading up to that moment was much more important, as well as all the events leading up to it.

Rich explains it in his commentary in Don't Split the Party: V is saying those words ("I.. I must succeed.") to himself (the right being). Only then had he convinced himself he needed to sell his soul to fix everything, even though he ultimately didn't need to. Even ignoring the convoluted Demon-plan, the Order would've quested to free V's family after the gates were saved. As PCs, they'd have found a way to locate the dragon and kill it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Get Real

Well, that's Elan, Roy and Haley out of the fantasy world. My guess is next we see what Belkar's been seeing and that'll be something that made this fantasy trip worthwhile.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Between Belkar and Elan, this illusion trip was worth it for all the character growth. drat Burlew for redeeming Belkar with a cat, now I sympathize with the little halfling from hell :(

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The next story arc will be a literal version of this Oedipal drama, where Belkar kills his dad and has sex with everyone's mom.

Belkar's dad is also named Belkar Bitterleaf, thus saving him from the Oracle's Prophecy.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

greatn posted:

It would be funny if they turned around and Nale's group has been just off panel to the left, tranced almost the whole time(vampire mechanics be damned)

It's an Epic Spell made by an Epic Illusionist that lived decades ago. If it'd make for a good story, Rich would put in some disclaimer so that it works on the undead.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like the fantasy trip fast-forwarded Roy past his grief and now he's less of an rear end in a top hat to everyone. Now he won't drag everyone down with him into a depression, which is a neat solution I think.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The fantasy world is there to protect the gate, at best it'll give you info on how to use the gate to kill yourself in a massive explosion.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Bloodly posted:

...I'm certain some underworld race has worked on such a thing.

If the Dragon magazine strips are anything to go by, there is bound to be a Dark Coffee plant in the underground ecosystem.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Is anyone else jonesing really goddam hard for something to go right for the good guys?

The Linear Guild is going to cross that zap-line.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The Snarl wasn't around for the Azure City rift, why would it be around a functional Gate to rip Belkar to shreds?

I'm going to make a bold bet: Belkar enters the Snarliverse and ascends to become an actual Sexy Shoeless God of War. Gods don't need to breathe, right?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Well that zap-line didn't do a lot.

I'm going to guess that Xykon shows up and Nale ends up brutally murdered, but Elan learned some important life lessons in fantasy land so he doesn't really care. Tarquin is calling in his old adventuring party buddies and they're going to fight Xykon/Redcloak, almost win, but then the MitD is going to be revealed and he'll stomp everything (gate included).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Uranium Phoenix posted:

My money's still on V showing up and her deal with the fiends figuring in prominently, and Belkar heroically sacrificing himself for the greater good.

The fiends already showed up to "fix" the previous storyline, it'd be a bit disappointing if they made a return in the very next storyline. Even though it has been years in real life.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Bobulus posted:

There's absolutely no way the gate isn't here somewhere. No matter how many double-bluffs you do, it's always better to have it in the place guarded by your family, rather than someplace with no guards.

Is it? Having lots of people around means you're going to leave a trail, however faint it might be. Someone determined to find the gate will find that trail, like Nale had almost done using Tarquin's latest dead wife. Who's to say the Draketooths don't have another, smaller branch of the family guarding the real one? It could be layers upon layers of fake-outs, really. And if the real gate is hidden someplace else, the Draketooths who are defending the fake pyramid may get off a warning to the real one.

This block stating the the gate is somewhere else is so obviously a trap, it can't be. An empty room would've served better as a distraction. Unless it's a triple-bluff.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Or it doesn't and the books are them taking down Xykon despite him having the power. The ultimate power not being as ultimate as was originally thought is a common enough idea, and we already know there is something going on with the Snarl that doesn't fit what everyone has been told

This book ends with Xykon in control of the gate, they do the ritual but get sucked into the Snarliverse. The next book is the party racing to Kraagor's gate to somehow fix things, the party also gets sucked in. The last book is the Order fighting Xykon in our world as photorealistic stick figures.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I wonder if Roy has realized that yet.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I was hoping for this gate to be resolved without the fiends, but Rich is a much better storyteller than me, so I'm sure it'll still be amazing.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Mniot posted:

That makes me think that they have known about its true nature before they came up with their plan to ensnare Vaarsuvius. So their plan almost certainly is not "hold the world hostage with the threat of the Snarl."

Maybe they do want to hold the world hostage. They just want to one inside the rift.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Interesting. Everyone here assumed that they'd be able to take control of V, but it looks like all they can do is pull her out of the game at will.

If V's soul is down there, could the fiends plant some mind-altering effects for later?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I'm now wondering if what the Fiends really want is for V to be at ground zero of a destroyed gate. V's body is shielded from harm, but does falling into a Snarl-rift count as harm?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Brainamp posted:

No. V is a tool, not the objective.

V could be a tool to get the fiends to the rift-world.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I just noticed we're nearing strip 900. Anyone want to bet if he's on schedule for another big plot twist? Or do you wager he's overshot again and the big thing is going to happen in strip 907?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

If Girard's gate is destroyed before Xykon gets there, would the rift count for the Oracle's answer? Or would an exploded part of the gate hitting Xykon in the skull count?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Ok, so that answers my question, time for a new one!

Just how much damage does an exploding pyramid do? They were standing right next to it and it looks like there's nothing left.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

The roaches break the fourth wall all the time. And Indiana Jones sheltered in a lead fridge from an atom bomb in the last movie.

It also lampoons the fact that the order lampoons the fridge-nuking scene by hiding in Girard's casket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

There's an open pit below the rift, which is were V was listening in on Roy smashing the gate.