Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You can bluff your way through a zone of truth a couple of ways anyways. Programmed Amnesia comes to mind, as does an absurd bluff modifier, thought bottles, etc. Ian's right to be paranoid! Because a poorly optimized bard with a terrible int score could do roughly... none of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DaveWoo posted:

Actually, sending him to the Arena makes perfect sense. Either he dies in battle, or he keeps winning and becomes a profitable draw. And either way, he's no threat to Tarquin.

Yeah, Thog is a good deal more dangerous than Nale in single combat anyways. Rather a lot more dangerous, and even if Nale is around plotting, keeping one of his more dangerous and loyal lackeys in a place you can watch him and he can make you money is a pretty good idea.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Thog is statted out as a PC. He has Barbarian levels and everything.

NPCs have PC classes at anything above first level usually if you want them to be threats. The difference is they have roughly 60% Wealth By Level, though the gap increases as you level higher.

And the entire Order has some pretty amazing stats all around, though Roy probably has the best overall. There are only two people who even dumped stats, Elan dumped INT and Belkar dumped WIS.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Walliard posted:

I forget, are negative levels in 3.5 a thing you can reverse or do you have to earn them back the hard way?

If the latter, Elan's going to have a lot of catching up to do.

You can reverse them, but if you wait too long they become permanent. He should be fine assuming he and Durkon survive.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cabbit posted:

The trick there seems to be finding good-aligned commoners, because I imagine the majority of them would be neutral or lawful neutral. Had they any grand moral imperative, I imagine they probably would have struck off to try and help people or change the world already.

The 3.5 PHB does say that humans "Trend towards no alignment, not even neutral." So about 33% are good. D&D measures intentions as well as actions for the purposes of alignment (sometimes).

So the Wight-making should be pretty simple, find literally any village and you have a few dozen wights easily.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Erakko posted:

Can't he suffocate or something, though? My only D&D experience are the IE games :shobon:

Considering what his con score and level must be?

He has at least five hours if he has no access to air at all which is fairly unlikely.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Well wasn't the halfling a bard? No party would have two bards.

She was a rogue.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ZeeToo posted:

So I started reading a bit further.

And, uh, did we find out why Belkar is fireproof at all? I don't recall that.

Tinfoil hat time regarding what that might mean for his final death...

The joke is that he got evasion, which is a level 2 thing for Rogues and a level 11 thing for Rangers so no one ever remembers that Rangers actually get evasion.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cuchulain posted:

Mystic Theurge is a prestige class you can take as a multiclassed Arcane/Divine caster. It's what Tsukiko was. Positives: Extra low level spells from both your base classes. Negatives: Terribly stunted spell advancement, awful attacks, bad saves, no bonus feats, everything else.

True Necromancer is a another prestige class available to Arcane/Divine multiclassed casters. Positives: Shitloads of low levels spells, Wizard bonus feats and Cleric powers keep leveling, special powers neither Necromancer Wizards or Unholy Clerics get access to, and you can control something to the tune of 12 times the normal amount of Undead. All around baller as gently caress.

Negatives: Slightly slower advancement to high level spells.

Tsukiko was retarded.
And True Necromancer is a terrible prestige class for that reason, you're only going to hit level 7 and 6 spells and only a few of them. Most of the worthwhile undead raising spells are high level too, especially things that let you revive powerful humanoids or many hitdie monsters. Mystic Theurge will let you hit level 9 on one side easily and on both sides with minor shenanigens.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

On the other hand you lose everything other than spellcasting progression. Your undead turning ability will stagnate and become useless, and as Redcloak has just shown that's pretty handy. It's even useful for supporting your own already-controlled undead in some situations.

If you really have to have both full arcane and divine spellcasting what you want to do is somehow cheat the entry requirements for the Beholder Mage prestige class, which is only available to beholders but gives you DOUBLE spellcasting progression. Yes, one level of it gives you the equivalent of two levels of a spellcasting class. (Because being a Beholder at all means you're fairly high level to start, so if they're ever going to get the high-level spells they need to cheat like this.)

Turn undead is incredibly situational, note that this is about the first time we've seen it seriously used and there are two Clerics as main cast members. Now, there are a ton of ways to abuse the poo poo out of turn undead by using it to power certain expensive metamagics, particularly persist which lets all those tasty 1/round per level and 1/minute per level spells last 24 hours. Clerics have a lot of really, really good short term melee buffs.

However, since nobody in the comic is ever going to use them for that just prestiging out is not really a bad thing. Even if Tsukiko had stayed a full cleric, she wouldn't have been able to stop Redcloak from murdering her because his Turn Undead is way more powerful than hers would be.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

terminal mehmet posted:

Chaotic good people can murder every now and then. Just sayin'.

That isn't the argument, the argument was over whether it was murder or not.

Burlew didn't want it to seem like cold-blooded murder. He added strips to make Crystal even less sympathetic because he didn't want people to perceive Haley as a murderer. It has nothing to do with alignment at all.

I'm also surprised that no on has brought up the massive, massive argument that erupted on GitP for years over if Roy's attack on Miko after she murdered Shogo was justified. That delved into a level of crazy I've never seen, and I think its still a bannable offense to post a topic on "Is X morally justified?".

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jefepato posted:

Goblins are "Usually neutral evil," meaning a majority of them are. Hobgoblins, though, are usually lawful evil. They do not have to stick to these alignments.

We don't really know if that's the case in the OotS-verse. Especially since I definitely don't trust the Dark One's claims about their origins. I'm sure Burlew would buck the Monster Manual on this if it fit the story he wanted.

We already have Goblins and Hobgoblins pretty different from straight Monster Manual ones. Redcloak would be ancient or dead of old age and Belkar's size, for instance, if we were using generic Goblins.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Colon V posted:

For a second, I thought he might have been joking about the Cintaq thing. ...I really hope he isn't going to use it to copy-paste templates.

I think I'd die a little inside if Rich fell that far, that quickly.

He, uh, literally already does this.

How do you think everyone's head is always exactly the same size? Their limbs? The backgrounds and any non-template creature/person is what he spends all his time on. Every regular human has been templated to hell in back for almost a decade.

I also do not have a problem with it at all. Not even when Buckley does it.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 19, 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Elan has munchkinned, yes, but only to bring him up to the level of the rest of the party.

Eh, in direct combat at least. Bards play best as force-multipliers so his contributions are always going to be slightly difficult to measure. Adding +hit and +damage is unexciting, but potentially vital. Without seeing the numbers we'll never really know how much he actually contributed before his Dashing Swordsman upgrade.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Niton posted:

Man, I know it's buyer's choice and all, but you'd really have to try to think of a worse trio of choices with all of the interesting characters in the OOTS-verse.

At least Belkar's will be interesting, maybe.

I think the cops could be interesting depending on what Rich does with them, but I am annoyed no one picked Tarquin or Hinjo or an Order of the Scribble member. Those would have been my picks.

Also what the hell kind of story do they think he can even tell about Thekla? We sat through basically the only interesting events in her life and she was by far the worst and most obnoxious part of them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So, does Durkon have 5,000 gp worth of Diamonds on him or Speak with Dead prepared today. That could tell us if those are actually corpses or some play.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
One thing this reveal also does is confirm that Ian/Haley are not actually secret Draketooths of some sort.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
No, they saw V during the Soulsplice but V lied about where the power came from and they didn't really probe further because a lot of stuff happened during and immediately after it was over. Like the band getting back together, Roy getting resurrected, the Azure city refugees getting resettled etc.

Roy actually saw the other souls tethered to V, but he was dead and has vague memories at best about it. It'll probably come back to him at a dramatically appropriate time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gally posted:

Well, Ian was in the prison where no magic would work right? Maybe the spell couldn't reach him there, and thus could not work on Haley either.

They're also missing the facial tattoos/birthmarks which everyone after the half-Dragon generation seem to have. It also sort of depends on the mechanics of Familicide, I will admit though based on how it is worded that Ian being in the anti-magic zone might have protected Haley. Anti-magic has some issues with Epic level magic though, a standard Anti-magic field isn't going to stop one and its a stretch to assume that Ian was better protected in a prison than the Epic Illusionist in his seat of power.

Still though, you're right, the possibility is technically open.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Now hold up a second.

We're going to simply assume there is no incestuous relations going on here or anything. That in mind... Where are all the other halves of all of these relationships? You know, the ones that aren't part of the family bloodline. The ones that wouldn't be hit by the Familicide, unless it goes after unrelated couples, too.

The Draketooth clan's standard procedure seems to be seducing someone and then running off with the kid back to the desert if Penelope's case is anything to go by. Plus the lack of any non-redheads in the family tree and how everyone after the first generation appears to have a single parent.

Plus Penelope's mysterious death points to the other parents also being killed off even if some of them do make it back.

Edit: Beaten

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Affi posted:

I really didn't realize they were that completely bonkers. So what you are saying that in a duel between two highlevel mages it pays dividends to have a great initiative?

They stopped using initiative at least 10 levels ago. Either they're unreachable, nearly permanently shapeshifted into one of the 'gently caress you I always go first' monsters or they use celerity and timestop to get away. V's fight against the dragon? Like that but better prepared every single day.

And that's before you get into the brokenness that is epic magic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

In a duel between two high level mages he said.

Which again, really boils down to who prepared better.

Or who cares about something beyond survival. Their rear end is dead as evidenced by Dorukon, Lirian, those guys in SoD...

Otherwise I don't think even another mage could actually force a confroarontation.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 29, 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jefepato posted:

They're not inherently evil. They're "always chaotic evil" so they are born with that alignment, but they don't have the subtype or anything, so they're quite capable of becoming non-evil.

Not that it's likely. But the paladins are still dicks.

Note that 'always' in the context of the Monster Manual only means like 80%.

Also, because they don't have an alignment subtype they aren't born with any particular alignment.

So most Black Dragons are inclined towards Chaotic evil, with most of the rest some flavor of Chaotic Neutral or Neutral evil, but they choose that. They aren't born that way any more than Goblins or humans.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

So Black Dragons' tendency towards evil is cultural? Bad parents raising nasty hatchlings and telling them it's okay to treat people like ants, "because they ARE ANTS!"

Eh, biologically they may have like a lack of empathy too and some traits that tend to set them on the path to being chaotic evil. Culture probably also plays a pretty big role. A small proportion of them, probably 3-8% are explicitly on the 'good' end of the alignment scale. They're the exception, not the norm, which is why the alignment entry is written the way it is. You have such a small chance of running into a good Black Dragon that it isn't really reasonable to expect it.

There are no creatures, besides mindless undead, that are literally always evil though. Even Demons with the 'Evil' subtype.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

Ordinarily I despise alignment discusssions, but not this time. Funny.

Just how old was the dragon that V nuked? I know they get up there, but she's had a whole lot of generations of offspring beneath her to fry.

Probably around a century or so, he was too small to be anything but a Juvenile and his mother implies he's roughly analogous to a human teenager. Plus I think he was her only son, or her dialogue implies that at least.

I mean V's kids are both 26 and going to kindergarten.

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 1, 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

greatn posted:

The only downside if you gotta make a system shock each time, and Con isn't gonna be a high stat for illusionists.

I think that's only a thing in 2e, not 3.5.

Plus he's an epic character with millions of gold. He can afford a Belt of Magnificence +12, or take a feat to increase his con if its really an issue.

And he's part Dragon at least, which usually buffs con.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Idran posted:

More than that, you can only have one contingency spell at once. If you cast another, it dispels the first automatically.

For reference for the people less familiar with the system; there's mechanics-speak in here, yeah, but it's better than nothing.

Actually, with the brief talk earlier about if system knowledge gives greater enjoyment of the comic, it might be a good idea to link SRD stuff whenever people talk about things like this, I think. For the sake of people that don't know D&D 3.5 but still read OotS and might be curious.

Unless you have Craft: Contingency of course! Then you can have as many as you have hitdice.

Not in the Core rules though, so I highly doubt anyone in the comic is actually going to use it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sefer posted:

Can't an epic level caster just make an epic level version of either Contingency or Flesh to Stone to cover the issue?

Probably not a useful one without being an obscenely high level or chain gating Solars.

Epic Magic is sort of weird in that its totally loving useless, if you use it to create spells without blatantly abusing the mechanics, or the single most broken thing in the entire game.

Like, you can use it to create a shittier version of Fireball that does less damage and has less range, but costs you millions of gold and XP and takes months to research.

Or!

You can learn to use effects to negate the costs. Things like having people under you sacrifice a spell slot for the day with more power the higher the level of spell slot sacrificed. And since there is a ninth level spell called Gate which lets you summon and control things like Solars who have Ninth level spell slots, and they can summon more Solars to control you can get an insane chain pyramid scheme going that lets you make virtually any spell you want as there are literally an infinite number of Solars.

Rich probably isn't going to show off Chain-gating, and the few Epic spells we've seen have been very situational or just metamagic'd lower level spells, so I doubt we'll get anything too out there.

Edit: You could also Wish for immortality, but it would probably backfire pretty hard because that isn't one of the 'safe' options.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 2, 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

If I'm reading the d20 SRD right, the various Summon Monster spells have this restriction, but Gate does not.

That said, Gate isn't in the list of "typical" prepared spells for Solars, so you'd have to find a good way to persuade your DM to let you find and summon a ton of Solars that happened to choose it for their daily spell allotment.

They have Wish as a spell-like ability which means for them it lacks the XP and material cost. They can use it to replicate gate by creating a Candle of Invocation and using the gate ability from that.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 2, 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ashenai posted:

Yeah, there's no such thing as a Neutral Good demon that's Evil. Evil demons are Evil. Maybe there's an Evil demon that is does volunteer work and donates to orphanages. That's nice of him! He's still Evil, though.

Thats not quite how it works. Demons can have an alignment just like any other sapient, and they can be good. Usually because you shoved a Helm of Opposite Alignment on them, but because there are an infinite number of them there are an infinite, but smaller, number of good ones.

They just all have the [Evil] subtype, because they are literally made of evil, so a Paladin's smite will always work on them and they will always detect as evil. On the other hand, Smite Good will also work on them and they will detect as good with the Dectect Good spell!

Basically Good Demons and Evil Angels are hosed coming and going.

Its stupid as hell, and inconsistent, but they give unintelligent undead an evil subtype as well purely for the Paladin smiting so the whole system is hosed to begin with. Its why you never mix metaphysical and physical concepts.

quote:

I figure there's a random scattering of alignments among people. That jerk who left his wife and kids for a younger woman and refuses to pay child support? Chaotic Evil. It's not like it's okay to just slaughter him for it, though. Maybe he would have genocided an entire race, if he had been given the chance, but as-is he's just a lame, everyday evil.

Roughly how its supposed to work. Humans "trend towards no alignment, not even neutral" which means that every group of people is roughly split between every alignment!

Which is really loving stupid and means that being 'chaotic evil' isn't even that big of a deal considering one in every nine people register as it.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 15, 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Colon V posted:

Obligatory "Gee, I hope Rich is okay. :ohdear:"

How about this: How would you optimize each of the Order, without changing their strategies?

For example, V would make a hell of a Warmage, Roy'd be a drat good Swordsage of the Stone Dragon, and Durkon's a Cleric, so he can gently caress right off.

I'd make Roy a Warblade, with a focus on White Raven and Iron Heart maneuvers. That way he gets to use his intelligence and propensity towards leadership as well as his iron will. Or make him a a pure Barbarian and make him an Ubercharger with Pounce maybe.

Make Haley a Rogue/Scout mix with Daring Outlaw, some way to consistently move 10 feet and full attack, a much better bow (enchanted with Splitting at the very least) and a way to sneak attack more (buy some Swordsage maneuvers/stances with feats, or magical items). The Archer Archetype is not well supported though, and to get around that you'd need to make her like a Cleric with Zen Archery or do some Soulbow trickery I think. Comedy option is that way you stack Hellfire Warlock with those classes that keep advancing its class features, with the one level dip in binder, so you can do 30d6 Eldritch Blasts all day every day.

Elan's actually probably fine as is I think, though he could utterly replace his prestige class with the feat Snowflake Wardance, do some crazy Inspire Courage stacking shenanigens, and discover his amazing Sonic Dragon ancestry so he could pick up Dragonfire Inspiration. Give him one of those crystal blades, or the lingering song feat, and every combat could give the party both +10/+11 to hit and damage and another +11d6 sonic damage with some pretty casual optimization. Keep him as pure Bard and rock face.

Uh, Durkon just needs to pick better spells and pick up Divine Metamagic so he can persist them for 24 hours and just keep doing what he's doing. Bonus points if he manages to become a Cheater of Mystara.

V- Incantatrix and any other prestige class because pure wizard gives no incentives not to presitge out every level you don't have to. Hell, start at level 3 with Specialist (Evocation) and Master Specialist (Evocation) and maybe throw some Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil in there or literally anything else V qualifies for. Warmages somehow manage to be worse at blasting than straight Wizards and anything that allows for more metamagic, especially free metamagic, is always amazing. Also, if you can change the banned school, ban evocation and keep Conjuration because Conjuration spells are actually better at blasting than Evocation spells. Also pick up Celerity and use it.

Belkar... um. gently caress it, make him a Tiger Claw Warblade or Swordsage with a dip in Barbarian for rage/pounce and give him the one feat that lets him get a slightly weaker animal companion so he can still have Mr. Scruffy. Hell, Mr.Scruffy will actually be stronger and might contribute to combat in that case because the feat gives you an animal companion that manages to be better than a Ranger's.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 28, 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Seriously, all any mage needs to absolutely ruin the DM's day every time is using Complete Mage and Spell Compendium.

Or, you know, the core rulebook. Spell compendium/Complete Mage only really gets you Celerity and Craft Contingency for really broken stuff. The worst spells are always things like glitterdust, grease, haste, Time Stop, polymorph, Shapechange, Contingency, Overland Flight, Ennervation, Charm Person, Dominate, Mindblank, Wind Wall, True Strike... etc. which are all Core spells.

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 29, 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nilbop posted:

Grease? What can grease do other than provide lubrication for pratfalls and be the word?

Lock down anything without ranks in Tumble. So almost everything. Its an amazing crowd control spell and one of the most powerful level 1 spells ever printed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Does any of that involve puppets? I'd track down a class that focused heavily on puppeteering, mystical or otherwise.

Unfortunately, for all the really weird an varied stuff you can do with 3.5 nobody ever wrote a good way to deal with puppets or puppetry.

Though since Elan is a Bard he could dump a ton of skill points into Perform (puppetry) and use that for his inspire courage!

Or become an Exemplar of Perform (puppetry), which would let him make a Perform check instead of a Diplomacy check to influence people.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Might be, Rich did help write Dungeonscape after all (even if he didn't come up with the Factotum personally). Plus I don't think he ever explicitly names non-Core stuff when its not obviously a parody, like the Mindflayer thing, to avoid legal stuff.

Also, the Order is so screwed considering how competent Tarquin and his lackeys are. Their real hops, especially without V, is that Nale manages to gently caress everything up or Malack turns on the rest and helps them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

HKR posted:

I never understood what GM in their right mind would let a player use a splatbook race/class/skills/feats/magic/items. All of them basically say to me "Hey let your player use this to munchkin and ruin the game!" (And yes I know vanilla wizards and clerics can still munchkin and ruin the game but it's at least a little easier to deal with.)

Most people aren't ridiculous assholes? Core has pretty lovely support for... Everything?

I usually play by throwing out the core books entirely and only using the supplements becausethe power level is way more consistent and it gives people who aren't Vatican spellcasters the ability to do stuff. Incarnum/Binders/Tome of Battle are great! Their are few to none splatblook races that are even remotely as good as humans. I like prestige classes that aren't ridiculously terrible at everything ever (what the gently caress every core Prestige class except for Archmage).

Its way the hell easier to deal with a raptoran swordsage or a spellscale warlock than it is to try to make a Fighter not feel like deadweight (especially if you force the sucker to stick with the godawful core feats) after level six or come up with contrived conditions why the wizard's million perfect spells didn't solve everything again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

Most spells in 3.x don't require you to roll poo poo, actually. Just point at where it goes off and then people in it have to roll to not just take the full force of it to the face, unless you chose a spell which doesn't even give them that.

Plus, especially if you're playing core only, good luck fighting most ECL-5 battles or above. Thats when you start dealing with flying/incorporeal/brutish enemies that will usually easily mince the party if played with a modicum of intelligence... unless you have magic.

Look at, say, an Allip which is an ECL-3. Unless the fighter has a magical weapon, he can't hit it at all. If he does have a magical weapon, unless it has the ghost touch property, he's going to be missing a flat 50% of the time on top of its good AC. Everything within 60 ft of it must make a DC 16 Will save or be hypnotized for 2d4 rounds(good luck having a halfway decent one as anything but a caster!). Every hit it makes? Drains wisdom making him less likely to resist the hypnotism effect. When he hits zero, which is damned easy considering the thing can just move underground if it wants to, or just fly a bit higher, he turns into an Allip himself.

Of course the thing is stupidly easy with a Wizard, Cleric or Druid in the party if they make their save. Unless suddenly their spell hilariously backfires and now everyone is dead!

Anything with flight is going to require magic to solve as well, and thats a massive section of the monster manual above the very lowest levels. No, they can't just pull out a bow and deal with it because tickling people with an average of 8 damage per round (composite Longbow, str 18) means you're not even getting through the damage reduction of a Gargoyle. And take less then 10 damage if he just strafes you, or totally ignores you because you can't do poo poo to him.

These are monsters designed for fighting level 3 and 4 characters. Core non-magic users are going to be able to deal with them, hell contribute to any fight with them in it, only reliably once they're several levels above that and they're going to need a whole bunch of magical gear.

You take away magic, or make it unreliable, and the non-magic users are going to be lucky to deal with things several levels below them, they rely on having magical party members that much.

Incidently, this is why the Core books are the worst in the whole of 3.5. Allips can laugh and take out the Tarrasque with no chance of failure, putting him into a permanent coma. And the designers thought that having entire classes totally unable to deal with them was a great idea when the reverse is literally never true.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 8, 2012

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

I think the way your phrasing is loaded. Some of the changes 4e instituted are good, e.g. giving more options to melee classes and making it so low level spellcasters don't spend most of the day acting as crossbowmen, as well as removing the abolishing level loss from dying and reducing the number of skills (how often did Use Rope come into play?). However I do get the feeling that the approach with 4e was to try and make things easier for the GM by simply restricting the things players were able to do in previous editions (e.g. no teleporting) as well as homogenizing things to an extent, such as by having undead function in a pretty similar manner to living opponents e.g having Con scores and being just as vulnerable to enchantment spells for example. Also things you can do out of combat with magic seem much more restricted; rituals exist but are they are fewer in number, take longer to cast, are harder to pull off and are pretty expensive.

Also the whole mess with the all the errata is pretty annoying. Trying to create a character without a D&D insider subscription is a pain in the rear end.

Personally I'd say my favorite incarnation of D&D is Pathfinder. It nerfed some pretty broken spells such as Divine Power, Force Cage and Shapechange as well as broken abilities like Wildshape. Also it gives more customization options for classes, such as barbarian rage powers, rogue abilities and extra additional fighter feats. (As well as doing some other rule changes such as reducing the number of skills and abolishing having to pay double for cross-class skills and removing level loss for being raised from the dead).

Ugh, Pathfinder is pretty awful honestly because it reads like someone read the core rulebook for 3.5 and thought "How can I make this caster/non-caster disparity worse while pretending to fix it?" What it did to Bards especially is totally inexcusable (I'm a Bard who, at twentieth level can sing for less than five minutes a day!) Also the ridiculous bonuses it heaped on Wizards and Sorcerers made me slightly nauseous. And it didn't even nerf most of the abusive spells besides the shape-changing stuff (which is admittedly pretty big). It also didn't give anything decent to the mundane characters beyond some bigger numbers... but bigger numbers were never really their issue. They also do poo poo like the Power Attack change which manage to be a step forward and back, or their stubborn refusal to fix broken poo poo like Candles of Invocation. They also managed to gently caress Rogues over by making it incredibly difficult to get consistent full-round sneak attacks for... no real reason.

The only classes that majorly improved between 3.5 and Pathfinder are the Ranger, Wizard and Sorcerer... which is a big loving problem considering two of them are the most ridiculous classes in Core before the buffs.

Their new classes are almost all hilariously bad, (I'm a Cavalier! I'm like a Paladin except worse in every conceivable way! I'm an Alchemist! My potions are almost universally worse than third level spells and have ridiculous restrictions!)

I have some grudging respect for the skill system, what it did to Druids and the Summoner. That stuff is pretty cool.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dolash posted:

I always figured that with the right magic items to complement their natural abilities, a fighting character has a perfectly reasonable shot of taking down a powerful caster even if the caster maintains an edge. D&D outside of the first few levels is a game of counter-measures and contingencies where the winner is the one who manages to catch their opponent in a situation they're unprepared for.

The issue is that magic items are all ridiculously inferior to the spells they replicate and most of the best abilities are totally out of the question for a 'fightery' type. Casters can become literally invulnerable in far, far too many ways from very low levels and any fighter struggles to pull off the tricks the Wizard was doing ten levels ago with his magical items. Plus Wizards can craft those same items for cheaper than a fighter can buy them and, you know, still have spells on top of it.

Not to mention using items offensively is nigh impossible because they don't scale in difficulty like 'actual' spells do. Oh and the defensive buffs are also really easy to dispell because they likewise don't scale and using most magical items is a pain in the rear end for any non-spellcaster who isn't a Rogue anyways due to lack of Use Magical Item as a class skill. Good luck even managing to trigger a wand of cantrips consistently before you're in the mid teens.

That's not to say Spellcasters always win, but if you go up against a Druid/Cleric/Wizard/Sorcerer who knows what they're doing you're usually hosed or might be able to drag them to a draw. They always have so many more options available.

I mean, just for the sake of example, a Druid can shift into the form of a bear and keep the bear's stats along with his natural spellcasting from level six and by level ten can literally keep it up all day. Oh and he can also summon a horde of bears and has a special bear companion while the fighter can hit things roughly as hard as one of those bears. And the druid can have and use as many magical items as the fighter except earlier and cheaper (through crafting).

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

Wasn't it like a +5? You can't get better enchantments without epic-level items or straight up "gently caress da rules" artifacts.

Yep. +5.

You actually go up to +10 pre-epic, but only 5 enchantments can go to the bog standard +1 accuracy/attack enchantment.

So you could have a +5 Greatsword with +5 worth of other enchantments like Holy Burst (+2 equivalent), Fire (+1 equivalent) etc.