Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

goblin week posted:

Xykon was actually very unconcerned about losing his dick. We stan an ace king

His coffee-tasting tastebuds on the other hand...

How did everyone learn the location of the final gate again? Also I wouldn't put it past Serini to have the portal just drop the people off at one of the gates at random. Make the troublemakers someone else's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gnoman posted:

That would be a neat trick, considering that all of the other Gate locations have been wrecked. Dorukan's dungeon in particular was obliterated on-screen.

Clearly she just dropped the party at the point furthest away from the gate itself inside the dungeon :colbert:.

I know it's like others have said and it's probably a "final dungeon" made of a combination of aspects of every other dungeon, I just think it would be funny if Serini changed the spell to make whoever reached that point become "someone else's problem".

Either that, or the gate they found was at the South Pole and she's pulling a MASSIVE sleight of hand by just saying they found the gate at "the pole". The bit I found of Shinjo talking about the location of the gates just said that she built Kragor's tomb at the North Pole, not that the gate was there. It's possible I missed someone specifying "the gate is at the north pole", there's a lot of pages and I don't have all the books so it could be in one of the bonus strips.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, the setting DOES openly acknowledge that it runs on typical fantasy plot beats, so the only thing we're really missing is his brother appearing before Redcloak and saying "Holy Hell, listen to the Dwarves!"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Digging real deep with this one. This is a solid, classic comic.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LiterallyATomato posted:

Calling it now:

Like GRRM, he will die before finishing it.

Please don't say that, he already had one health scare that led to him taking it easier for his health.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Except for Belkar, unless the kobold was speaking metaphorically about his death, which is entirely possible now that Belkar has discovered the joys of animal friends.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Then he probably goes out like a boss and ends up chilling with Shojo in the afterlife and refusing all calls after the initial "Why would I want to go back? They have a fully stocked kitchen and pantry here! They even have nutmeg! Do you have any idea how hard it is to get good nutmeg?" free call.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Also it's just not interesting or funny if he lied, it's just, "oh".

There is another option which is also a popular narrative trope that I don't think has come up in OotS yet. I don't think we've had anyone actually defy their preordained fate yet, and if there's anyone who would say "What? This is bullshit! I refuse to die" it's Belkar. Though I'm cheering for the "Does a self-sacrifice so massive that it shoots him into Chaotic Good, and at the entrance to Heaven, the angels are freaking out because... HOW? And he spends the rest of eternity living it up in God's kitchen".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

We did with elan and airship guy

Was that a preordained fate, or just them drawing attention to narrative tropes and that Julio was well aware that the mentor figure usually dies in the story? Belkar's the only one I remember explicitly being said that "This character will die at some point".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rich is unleashing his full rear end in a top hat GM mindset with this dungeon. I'm impressed at the sheer dickery Serini's set up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm torn between wanting to see Team Evil run the dungeon, and just having a timeskip from when they get to the final dungeon to them being incredibly battered and Xykon having to regrow from the phylarcy, while questioning where she got all the monsters from. Especially the (insert monster from 1st/2nd edition that never got carried forward).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Xykon breaking the deal intentionally to gently caress with Redcloak and then finding out immediately afterward would be perfectly in tone with the characters and strip.

Nah, it'll be the modron announcing the end of the contract, Xykon saying they can't leave, he's breaking the contract out of spite, and then can't actually end a sentence in an even-lettered word before they all leave.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does Xykon or Redcloak have any way to pinpoint the location of the Gate and just.., I dunno, stone-to-mud a path directly to the portal?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

If they did they wouldn't have needed Serini's diary.

I wasn't sure if that may have changed with the reveal of Redcloak having "friends" in divine places, and if they may have been able to pinpoint its location now that they were near it with an extra-planer summon that Redcloak had overlooked.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gnoman posted:

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "reveal of Redcloak having "friends" in divine places", unless you mean his use of a 9th level spell that all clerics have access to should they reach a high enough level.

Outsiders aren't supposed to know about the Gates and the Snarl, to the point that they get mindwiped every time the world gets remade.

Yeah, it was was just a dumb joke about his 9th level spell that I don't remember him using before summoning the modrons. While they're not supposed to know about the gates, I'm sure there's a way to weasel-word them into detecting the gate.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

It's possible but wouldn't that involve a second summon spell? This one already has a task. And the task doesn't really leave a way for it to find the exact location of the gate for them. Unless the map of the complex somehow gives them a clue?

At least it will get them into the final dungeon, but probably not much more than that.

How long had the OotS been resting and taking the long way through the dungeon now? Doesn't Redcloak just need a day to recover all of his spells?

Honest question, I know we're going off of 3.5 rules, I just haven't played it in a long time and don't remember the exact rules for clerics recovering used spell slots.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

I don't remember the Modron stating how long it would take but Roy seems to think it would take 4-5 days. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1276.html

I'm not sure if Serini ever told them how much time she thinks they have but they seem to be running under the assumption that they can get a full rest once they get to the gate at least. So that would imply they believe they have more than a few hours, whether that's true or not.

The modron says it will take less than "Two full rotations" when they're discussing compensation and Redcloak says that they'll be done in two days.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've always felt that she was a fundamentally broken character, where she has an extreme "The world is black and white, no shades of grey allowed" mindset where if something is even partially evil, the entire thing is evil and must be punished/destroyed, combined with extremely anti-social tendencies so she's never been able to have a friendship that lasted long enough for her friend to say "Woah, what the gently caress? Miko, chill".

Basically, the fantasy version of someone's grandparent or uncle/aunt who just watches Fox News all day and who pushes everyone away with how toxic their personality is, except with the added bonus of "knowing" that they're right because, well, the gods haven't stripped away their paladin-ness yet. I do think there is some underlying misogyny affecting how people viewed her but I do think she was an effective antagonist for the comic.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh please have Xykon and Redcloak show up to the final battle holding ice cream cones...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gynovore posted:

I know Rich said he's not going to do this, but I keep imagining that at the end of the strip, the camera pulls back to reveal a bunch of people playing D&D, and Xykon is also a PC. Or maybe he's the GM's pet character, one he roleplays personally.

He said it wasn't going to be a reveal that it was real people playing a D&D game. Nothing saying that the final battle can't get interrupted by a "2000 years later" and revealing the whole game is being run by old man Redcloak GMing a historical game at Xy-Con, the annual convention celebrating the hero who saved the world from the world-destroying menace (photos and autographs with the legendary lich start at 50gp).

Yes, I'm doing a Dragon Ball Mr Satan.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I like Minrah, including Mimi and asking questions that she doesn't need words to answer. Depending on how things go, I could see her being the new Monster Mama and look after Serini's kids.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jesus Christ that comic is almost 20 years old now. Godspeed OotS, you're an epic for the ages at this rate.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

nimby posted:

It was great until the last season reveal that, after the party was forced to enter a rift to escape Xykon, the world on the other side was actually just our Earth and they ended up using an actual tank to kill Redcloak.

Eh, I thought the reveal that the MitD was just a photo-realitic human was a bit of a giveaway on that "twist", and the gratuitous nudity HBO put through the series seemed a bit much. The running gag where there was always something obscuring V's genitalia was a nice touch though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I really can't blame GRRM for just wanting to drop the series considering how the shows reception went. Reception to the last few seasons of the show was bad, and it's easy to believe he got discouraged and just wants nothing to do with the series at this point writing-wise.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Roy meeting up with his brother and the reveal that they spent several months just playing blocks with each other is still probably the most touching thing in comic history.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Loki would probably find it hilarious. Some of the Zodiac gods and the Babylonian gods would probably also get a kick out of it, but I'm not familiar enough with Babylonian myth to begin guessing which ones would.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh poor Sunny...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Slashrat posted:

This late in the game, the only ‘new’ major character that makes sense to introduce for me is the Snarl itself, or something from within the rift that is associated with it. That’s a shoe that has been waiting to drop for a long time now

E: even the way Sunny is seemingly entranced seems reminiscent of how Blackwing was entranced when peering into the Azure City rift

That's... actually a good point, and Sunny did also have an image of the Snarl in their drawings. With reality breaking down, maybe the Snarl is able to take more of a direct hand, and ISN'T the unintelligent creature it's been presented as.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I do have questions about how Sunny was mind controlled by the dragon if the dragon was in stasis. But gently caress it, magic against magic always makes my head hurt to try to figure out. Or magic versus psionisism.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Either that or we get one of the few times "Listen, we get why you're pissed, and you can eat Serini after, but right now all of existence is at stake, would you please bring willing to put off revenge for a couple more days so we can stop reality from being undone?" actually works.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Poil posted:

I thought I couldn't dislike Gerard more. Smug sorcerer dual wielding rapiers... just.. :ughh:

His entire family also fuuuuuuucked. Just a big ol' kingdom of his kin out in the middle of the desert.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DeafNote posted:

Then the dragon starts to wear his armor of a thousand innocent babies.

"By God, is that Belkar's music I hear?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, I've been around the internet long enough to know he probably had a bunch that were (very) willingly enthralled as well. People have odd kinks, but I won't shame.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I started reading while they were still in the first dungeon. I even bought one of the strip shirts. I think it was for this strip, just something about the goblin randomly being hit after the fact always made me giggle.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As long as the comic ends before I do, I'm happy. The pace Rich was working at was literally killing him, so I'd prefer to have a drawn out comic and a living author rather than a dead author and a prematurely ended comic.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's been years since I read Goblins. Considering how slow the comic updated when I stopped, that should be, what, 20 pages to read?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

My assumption is that the edition changes are a baked-in part of the world that happens automatically. Though that has some weird implications.

Edit: For example, the current world is young compared to the real world, but it’s still thousands of years old, right? How long was the world running on White Box rules before it switched to 1e? Did it have B/X and BECMI phases?

Edit: Maybe it’s cyclical, and after the world has been in 5e for a while, it OSRifies and goes back to the White Box.

They skipped 4th ed, though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, how many people do you need to believe in someone being a sexy shoeless God of War before they become a sexy shoeless God of War? Could the entire story actually be the epic saga of the rise of Belkar, the Sexy Shoeless God of War?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey, the peasent railgun deals real damage!

... I mean, it's... what... 1d6 damage from an improvised thrown weapon? It's not a LOT of damage, but it would still hurt to be hit by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Over a thousand years of knowledge can't beat over a million years of evolutionary survival!