Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

bgaesop posted:

Happy Elf, I think the main reason that the jackass paladin is a cliche is because it fits in real life. Cops are the real world equivalent to paladins, and guess what the cliche is there? They're jackasses. Of course, many cops are not jackasses, and maybe they would be cool people if it weren't for their ridiculous code of honor/stupid laws, but still, it's what sticks in people's minds.

Of course, Paladins also have the whole holier-than-thou thing going on automatically since they actually, you know, are holier than most people.

And there's nothing about humbleness or being a smug rear end in a top hat in the Paladin code. Or maybe there is in some versions, but not in the ones I've played with.

edit: The Paladin in Goblins is a nice guy :v:

Come to think of it, are there any webcomics with sympathetic Paladin leads? There's Mikoish jerks, and then the paladins in Boschen and Nesuko who are just as nuts as everyone else in that comic (well, maybe Boschen is nice), but I don't read many fantasy comics, so I'm not sure what the paladin playing field as a whole is like.

fake edit: i swear that paladins in my comic would be nice if there were any justifiable reason for them to appear :v:

fake fake edit: I like how the colors on Miko's clothes are reversed after she gets struck by the Gods.

fake fake edit edit: It's also interesting that from the look on her face, she looks more surprised than angry. Maybe instead of being a Blackguard, Miko will realize the error of her ways and endeavor in improve herself in the future. :unsmith:

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh, I didn't know one of the goblins was a paladin-- I haven't read the archives all the way through, so I assumed that the evil goblin slayer guy was the paladin, and you were being sarcastic. I'll have to finally start reading Goblins regularly.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Bamf posted:

I'm sort of hoping Miko realizes what she's done and tries to achieve penance.

Taking a character from someone you hate to someone you feel empathy for would be way more interesting than her just going all sith lord or whatever.

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it-- with everyone speculating about whether she'll fall in with the Linear Guild or Xykon or just try to kill everybody, this would be the most surprising thing of all.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I think that Roy attacking Miko probably ruined any chance of her realizing she was wrong, but at the same time I can't really blame Roy for doing so under the circumstances, as she just cut an unrarmed ally in half.

I was still sort of hoping she worked things out, though. :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Semiru posted:

The quoted comic, along with the current strip, have convinced me that Belkar is about to bite it. Miko, for all intents and purposes, has just killed a NPC. If she slaughters an entertaining and in this case, helpless PC? Well, that will really turn everyone against her.

Hopefully what Belkar is saying is true, but I'm still worried :smith:

Maybe he's responsible for her death in that she is executed for murdering him. :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

My guess is just that Xykon gave Redcloak the idea to use some kind of feint or decoy. I mean, all you need to make a body double for Xykon is to raise a skeleton and put it in a robe.

Redcloak's looking too devious for something like that.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The Werle posted:

You gotta post this with some :frogsiren:s man, you know, really shout it out.

Wouldn't the anti-magic prison affect Sabine's regenerative abilities?

Maybe that's why her neck is still twisted around. :)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Archyduke posted:

I can't put into words how much the stain on that fat Erfworld slob's shirt annoys me. I'm pretty sure he's the most repugnant web-comic protagonist I've ever seen, and I've read all of Dominic Deegan.

The difference is that he's supposed to be repugnant. Unfortunately, Erfworld fails to give us any reason to still want to read about this guy in lieu of any redeeming qualities or interesting characteristics.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

I appreciate what Erfworld is trying to do, and actually find the basic premise pretty funny (a self-insertion fanfic gone wrong, where a repulsive and unsympathetic nerd is summoned to aid the losing and beleagured bad guys). As a fan of Discworld I am always happy when an obviously comedic fantasy kingdom takes itself completely seriously for the sake of an extended joke.

But through all this, Erfworld seems too forced. Typing "Twolls" and "Dwagons" isn't funny or even cute, it's irritating.

See, this is a premise I can get behind. I loved the early Erfworld strips, where it was this ridiculous, silly fantasy world that took itself utterly seriously. It's the bizzare layouts (come on, even I can keep balloons off of the middle of my character's loving faces, and my comic is far wordier than any comic ought to be) and frightening cutsey mitten-handed lesbian bondage torture that turns me off.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

While the mitten-hands are pretty off-putting in the context, I actually found how fast they switched from bizzare, fetishistic torture to cheerful small talk kind of hilarious.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Note that despite my rant, I also enjoyed that and don't have a problem with it. Unless he starts writing "response" sequences every other strip, mind you. A wink here and a nod there are quite all right. I'm reminded of when Brian Clevinger rekilled the black belt time displaced double just so people would shut up about him using that as a loophole to bring the character back. Or that famous spider-man and Tony sequence from the other.

Especially because the arrow scene isn't even necessarily just a response to speculation-- it's also a callback to the oracle's prophecy about Belkar.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

SuperKlaus posted:

I do hope everyone here knows better than to give an undead the chance to surrender.

Don't ask me, I've never met an Undead. :rimshot:

That said, V is cool and I hope she doesn't get eviscerated or whatever. :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

I like Erfworld a lot better now that they have "bonus Thursdays" that explain the plot so the characters don't have to.

I see those as the comic just admitting that it's pretty much incoherent on its own terms.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Taear posted:

Yea, it's like someone explaining all their jokes to you. If you need that, then hey, stop telling jokes. A comic should stand on it's own, without someone there to explain exactly what the hell is going on.

Exactly! Don't get me wrong, I love world-building, and I love long, encyclopedic treatises on fictional settings, but these shouldn't be necessary to understand what the hell is going on.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I think it really had to be that way for the Death Knight. He took himself way too seriously for a OOTS villain. All reaping and death and blood, and no wacky quips or pokéballs with horses in 'em or whatever.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Hedgehog King posted:

I kind of feel like Erf world will be good to read through once it is completely done. Not a Great read. Not the BEST READ EVER. Just a good read, once the entire series is done and I can read through the whole thing in one sitting. And yet, even knowing this, I keep reading it every up-date. Why can't I stop? drat web-comic sendrome.

When I read the last few strips in sequence they make even less sense.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oh no, Roy. :smith:

I wonder how this one'll get printed.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

The paladin girl killing herself due to guilt at the end was just too much for me. :(

Yeah. :smith:

Jesus, to think that a couple of months ago people were arguing that somehow Miko was the most unsympathetic of the villains.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Efreet saiid posted:

Yeah he specfically mentioned that hating other species is ok, and everybody hates mystic theurges anyway. They would be pretty useful in a war, though.
Hey relax man i'm just saying, they're probably going to be on good terms once they get back together, and yes I do think they're going to beat the ghost martyrs.

In fact I wouldn't be suprised if Xykon has a chat with him afterwards or during, kind of like he did with roy. In fact the more I think about it the more I wonder if Xykon's CHA is a big factor in the creation of his personality. He has this kind of flippant approach to things but still manages to comunicate well with people despite being kind of a ditz. He's an interesting take on a master'mind', and it makes more sense for him to be kinda of evil overlord-ey than somebody who's supposedly really smart or wise.

Now, wouldn't it be surprising if the Ghost Martyrs defeat Xykon, leaving Redcloak as the major villian?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

In spite of everything, I've always kind of felt bad for Miko. I'm glad she gets at least a vaguely dignified death.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

KOraithER posted:

Hell, Haley even called them "redshirts." They're never getting that cup of something.

And I'm glad this comic answered some questions we were asking, and some that we weren't. We now know that Roy's coming back, where they're escaping to, and that Haley has a tattoo on her back.

Edit: drat, beaten.

The joke would be on us if Haley dies, too. :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Seluin posted:

Pssh, you guys are cranky-pants. I liked this strip :shobon:

I sort of like the soldiers! Now that all the other soldiers are dead, their character designs aren't even generic any more! :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Today's Erfworld is basically the worst Erfworld ever.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The Werle posted:

I'm definately loving these strips, but I hope we get back to the real world in the next one. I want to know how Haley and the Belkster are doing.

The joke would sure be on us if it just follow's Roy's adventures in the afterlife until he gets raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Soylentbits posted:

You wouldn't think green dragons would be all that tough in a place called reddragonsville. Also the man raised Roy's father so there's every possibility he's a lousy father figure too.

Edit: Did they just make Azure City out of blocks?

I'd say a green dragon would have to be pretty tough to survive in the mean streets of Reddragonsville.