Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It was oddly refreshing to see a new background in that last panel.

Speedball posted:

She's going to wherever Judge Dredd is going when he dies. Is there a specific afterlife for stuck-up pricks who think it's impossible to be wrong? In this cosmology, anyway? (or in Planescape?)

Based on "you have done...adequately," I always thought she was headed for Arcadia (the "not Good enough to be Lawful Good, not Neutral enough to be Lawful Neutral" plane).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The thing is that the source of the prophecy was Odin himself, so even if it was possible to avert it entirely doing so would presumably be heresy. All they could do is make sure it didn't happen immediately, although the fact that no record was kept means that this probably backfired.

Although, thinking of Durkon's words to V, it's possible that the real purpose of the prophecy was to get him to leave his home and cross paths with Roy, since without that the Order of the Stick never would've been formed.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

In case anyone else needs the rules, Malack is almost definitely at 1 HP right now.

ImpAtom posted:

I know people say Durkon is boring but I always liked him. He's the stable one (aside from his rare moments of goofiness) and he has a lot of badass moments.

Agreed. Even if he's the most static character, he's always been one of my favorites. I wish he got more character focus, but he was arguably the main character of the first prequel book, even more so than Roy.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be noted Malack won't die if Durkon beats him. He will turn into gas and fly back to his coffin. Vampire's are some of the hardest undead to kill beaten only by Liches.

He might not be able to reach it, considering there's at least one airtight seal in place now. The Draketooths being as paranoid as they were, they probably planned for intruders in gaseous form.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

I'm really glad that every villain in OOTS (except Nale maybe?) has gotten a moment that spells out to the viewer that no matter how charming or "zany" they appear to be, they're still awful and have goals that will be terrible for 99% of the people on the planet.

Nale did go on a serial killing spree in Cliffport for practically no reason that one time.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Could a dominated person be forced to forget?

I don't think so; the effect specifies the caster "controls the actions" of the target, "within the limits of its abilities". I think something like that would be outside of the spell's purview, especially since there's a separate spell called "Modify Memory" of the same level that only lets you affect five minutes of the target's memories.

SirDan3k posted:

Is Thor actually an aligned deity? I thought Norse gods were all pretty much "Alignment? Whatever go kill and or die in glorious battle or something."

By D&D rules, he's Chaotic Good.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

e X posted:

Well, the good guys are a little stale. Durkon really doesn't have that much personality (yet)

Except for Hilgya way back when, he's the only one that's never really had a storyline of his own. He's always been the most empathetic member of the team, which is endearing, but in retrospect that just makes him even more of a supporting/plot device character than he already was.

Nonetheless, the first prequel was, at least to me, his story more than anyone else's.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Unfortunately, Iron Heart Surge is a 4e ability, and OotS is stuck in 3.5 forever. :)

Actually it's originally from the 3.5 "Tome of Battle", which is the version they're referring to.

Incidentally, the only time I can remember OOTS referencing ToB is one of the stories in "Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails" when someone asked Roy why he wasn't a warblade and he answered "My dad wouldn't pay for a PhD."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Furthermore, at no point after he puts on the Mantle does Redcloak stop trying to subvert the gates. He has a chance to abandon the quest and flee with Right-Eye, and turns it down. He helps draft Right-Eye's family into Xykon's cause and watches them get slaughtered. He murders Right-Eye to protect the Plan. Sure, you can make the argument that Xykon guilts him into subservience at the end of the book, using Right-Eye's death as the lever, but at no point before that does it even cross Redcloak's mind to step away from the Plan, no matter the cost.

Yes he does? He was very much intent on giving up the plan after the episode with the circus, in favor of Right-Eye and family. The only compulsion involved was Xykon threatening to kill everyone with ogres.

But besides that, saying it's just magical compulsion makes it much, much less interesting. The whole tragedy of the book centers around Redcloak's psychology, and nullifying his free will with magic makes the whole thing pointless.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Currently I think the Order's main hope is that Xykon turns up and toasts Malack so Durkula can be made free willed.

I don't think that would help them--he'd probably just be free-willed and evil--but the way Malack describes his plan so neatly makes me think it's what's going to happen regardless.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Also, it's not that secure a nation. It's a ruined city plus some hobgoblin territory, only a handful of other countries even recognize it, and just by its nature it has a lot of enemies. The main reason none of Azure City's allies acted was the fear of Xykon's wrath; in gaining control of the Snarl, Redcloak can replace the threat of retribution from Xykon with a more powerful and reliable deterrent.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

greatn posted:

I feel like such an essential part of the text shouldn't be something the majority of your audience will never read.

Tsukiko's death scene had pretty much all the essential information from SoD. The rest certainly adds a lot of depth, but I wouldn't call it essential.

The only thing which I can't see being worked into the main comic smoothly is Xykon putting a Suggestion on the MitD to eat Redcloak whole if he ever betrays him. Thinking about it, I'm not sure it ever has to become relevant--its narrative purpose might ultimately just be to make certain scenes more tense for people who've read SoD.

CapnAndy posted:

Diplomatic recognition from seventeen nations, including Cliffport.

Diplomatic recognition is an extremely low bar. Imagine a country on Earth whose sovereignty was only recognized by seventeen other countries, at least one of which is on the opposite hemisphere. If you've just successfully performed a coup, that's a good start, but it still means that almost no one recognizes your new government as legitimate.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Apparently the book version replaces the first few comics with appropriate things rather than obscure version jokes? One of the many reasons I'm eternally pissed off he won't sell digitally. I WANT THOSE STRIPS.

From what I've heard it doesn't replace them, but there are some new introductory strips rather than just showing up in the middle of a fight with some goblins.

Ursine Asylum posted:

It doesn't make much sense to regenerate clothing, but he had a robe while Redcloak was hauling him around. Neither the gem nor the contents have been mentioned, but I'm going to assume Redcloak acquired both it and Xykon's robe in the post-detonation confusion.

That sounds about right. The only place it shows up in the comic proper is here, and Xykon definitely still had access to the headband after his original body was destroyed.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Isn't it supposed to be the horrible accent every RPG nerd affects when presented with a dwarf under any circumstances? Really it's probably just fortunate nobody speaks in Pythonese.

There was the one strip with the polearm shop.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I think it's a function of the narrative that we have such a dim view of him. His entire role in the plot is that he has a poor relationship with the protagonist, and he's in a situation that frustrates the hell out of him. Or the heaven, I guess. But he was an adventurer for a long time, so he must have done a lot of good before the story started. Likewise, we've never seen him interact with Julia, but that would probably give us some more points in his favor as well.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

Another fun point is that Roy doesn't remember either that agreement, or the instructions to his archon, or the request that Eugene contact him when Xykon left the city. That latter bit means there's potential for some "Why are you contacting me", "You told me to but if you're going to be a douche then I won't tell you anything" interplay later on.

Both of those happened on the fluffy "coterminous demiplane" outside of the gates, and Roy remembers everything that happened there. It's only the stuff that happened beyond the gate (meeting his mom, fishing with his grandpa, etc) that's blurry for him.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He's still a vampire with a bunch of extra hit dice and magical items. Even without spells that's a hell of a fight.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Considering the actual event had a huge panel dedicated to it, and several strips of characters reacting to it, I don't see him going back on it like this at this point. That would just be flat-out Clevinger, really.

(Also, I don't think most people have read Origins of PCs, so when he brings destruction back to the dwarven lands the fulfillment is going to be more of a bonus for those who have.)

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nale? Mercy? Hardly. More like Nale kills Durkon out of prideful spite, in that Malack managed to do what Nale (and the Linear Guild) never managed to do: Kill a member of the Order of the Stick.

Nale might try to kill him for whatever the reason was that he killed Malack's previous children, but I can't imagine him succeeding. Though that does beg the question of how he killed the others in the first place--I'm guessing they either didn't have a bunch of class levels on top of the vampirism, or he just dragged their coffins into the sun and opened them.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

I thought Nale killed Malack's children during his failed uprising? Well, I guess that was more implied than said.

No, it was definitely explicitly stated (well, not the part about the uprising). Almost nothing Malack's said or done about Nale makes any sense otherwise.

greatn posted:

He could return just regular dead. Vampires don't turn to dust when staked like in Buffy.

They probably do in OOTS.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Their friendship is genuine, Tarquin is spiteful (see sentencing the bounty hunters to the arena for a joke), and letting someone kill one of his allies without reprisal makes him look weak. I don't think he'd need any more excuse, though he would probably find a way to profit in the process.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It probably has something to do with Ian; in the strip about forming "the new Linear Guild" Kilkil was just about to reveal his identity to Tarquin before getting interrupted by wondering why everyone was looking at him. Even though we didn't see it, there's no reason he wouldn't have finished his sentence a few seconds later.

NihilCredo posted:

Good luck with that caster level check, Mr. Fighter / Rogue / Sorcerer.

Malack's caster level is relatively low thanks to his template, Nale probably has a shot.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

You'd think the epic last line of defense illusion would include countermeasures for undead. As an epic spell, it might be able to just ignore that immunity.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

sebmojo posted:

The fiends' plot is a complete mystery right now, isn't it? Apart from that it involves the gates, and megadeath?

And some chalice.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Heh, Malack's barely even pretending he's not going to immediately kill Nale after this.

sebmojo posted:

Sendings are audible, aren't they? Also, what strip was the 'on the move' message sent?

I don't believe it was ever on screen, but it was set up here.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Per this strip (probably a few others, too) it's only the recipient that can hear the message.

Forgot about that, thanks.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He admits to being underleveled here.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Why do I have a feeling that Girard didn't include a convenient self-destruct rune.

I don't know, it would be in keeping with his paranoia to include a rune like that for the worse-case scenario.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

There may be flying ships, but I don't think this comic is going to suddenly go Spelljammer on us. For all intents and purposes the comic's always referred to the planet and the material plane as equivalent.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Idran posted:

I don't think V knows that spell, but even if he did, while he's bound like that all he could do spellwise would be a spell with only verbal components, which Sending isn't. And Sabine couldn't at all, succubi don't have that ability innately.

Edit: This is assuming he can cast at all right now, but I'm assuming so given how the soul splice worked and all.

V has definitely cast Sending before (when Roy and Belkar were in the arena), but even if she was free right now it can't communicate across planes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also, speaking of side stories, I donated to the Kickstarter but haven't really kept up with it. Is the O-Chul story or any of the other Backer's Choice PDFs done?

Belkar's story is done, that's it so far.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I'm not sure how loyal Nale is to her, but it's probably a moot point because there's no way Malak's not going to massacre him the moment he considers this mission over. (Although I guess they could see each other in hell.)

SirDan3k posted:

Huh I could have sworn he mentioned getting Durkon a magic item with protection from daylight when Durkon wandered into the sun but re-reading it's not there.

You're probably thinking of the fact that he keeps the spell stored in his rod, instead of memorized.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Also (SoD spoiler) he enchanted the MitD to eat Redcloak and spit out his holy symbol if Redcloak ever betrays him. That's going to be a hell of a thing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Apparently being evil means Durkon can call people dicks now.

Also, Nale is screwed. Can't sneak attack, can't enchant, can't use those enervation rods, can't run and hide. That's basically his entire repertoire.

greatn posted:

Can't vampires fly anyway? Maybe not.

D&D vampires can fly by turning into bats or mist, but he can't just levitate up and hit him with a hammer.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

TunaSpleen posted:

If I had oodles of disposable income I probably would've picked an actual explanation of how Haley, Celia, and Belkar got Roy's bone golem corpse back simply because they implied they never wanted to speak of it again.

It's in the print edition; the only detail I've heard about it is that Crystal repeatedly tried to kill Haley during the mission.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Sefer posted:

This rule was already being ignored since Thor, a CG diety, was already 2 steps away from LG Durkon. Either the setting ignores the rule entirely, it's a more flexible rule there, or Thor is an exception to it.

Unless becoming a vampire made him chaotic for some reason, Durkon's alignment is now diametrically opposed to Thor's. He may bend the rules to have Lawful followers, but they won't bend that far.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Okay, so let's run it that way.

1d3 + 2 (14 STR) + 2 (Rage) + 3 (Daggers) + 4 (Favored Enemy chosen third at 10th level)

12-14 points of damage, DRed to 2-4. Enough to wound, not enough to be a real threat without help, which is a good reason why he quit when he realized he wasn't getting backup.

It's also worth noting that Durkon's in full plate and has a huge natural armor bonus now, maybe even a Dex bonus. His AC's so high I'd be surprised if Belkar could reliably hit him more than half the time.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Natural armor doesn't stack (nor do any other bonuses of the same "type"), but Durkon's armor is still pretty drat high.

Yeah, and the most an amulet of natural armor can give is less than his vampire bonus. He can give it to one of the other party members though, any of them could make good use of it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

D1Sergo posted:

Haley's delighted face as she loots the wands off of Zz just kills me. Does she Use Magic Device?

I can't remember it ever coming up, but if nothing else they'll sell for a pile of gold.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Maybe she has a custom version that automatically bounces the gate off the Xen borderworld and back.

G-Demon posted:

The right elf in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. or Ms. Veeman. Wake up...and smell the dragon ashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

greatn posted:

But Elan has a secret plan to win Vietnam defeat Tarquin.

It's only a plan to "yes, no, sort of" defeat Tarquin. Because the thing that inspired him was Roy saying "find a sense of family among your people who are good", I think that means he's going to ask Haley to marry him, and get Durkon to perform the ceremony.