Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

So if Xykon was able to wipe out an epic druid and then an epic wizard, how on earth did Ghost-Soon beat him? Even accounting for his army of low-level paladin ghosts and his damage resistance due to being a ghost, you'd think he'd be, if not less of a challenge then at least not much more dangerous than the other two.

Positive energy laced melee touch full attack + Smite Evil + at least +30 to attack rolls (possibly more) + Power Attack + 2-handed weapon = lots of irresistible damage on a lich. Soon could easily knock a significant chuck off of Xykon's HP every round, all the while disrupting any spells pretty handily.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ahahahahaha

You just made the entire derail worth it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I always assumed being undeaded worked like putting on a Helm of Opposite Alignment, or being targeted by a Morality Undone spell: your personality remains recognizable, but more destructive, domineering, selfish, and callous. You become a dark reflection of who your were.

I doubt Durkpire will stick with the party as an undead unless Malak/Tarquin choose to, but neither do I think the probably lawful evil Durkpire and probably lawful evil Malak are going to be willing to do any lasting harm to the Order; Durkpire because of his past loyalties, and Malak because of his oath to Durkon.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Not quiet. When a DnD vampire creates a spawn, the spawn is under it's creators total control until the creator chooses to release it. Durkula is essentially a personality-less drone until further notice, since Malack doesn't want him to be conflicted about fighting the Order.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
In standard DnD, Outsiders conjured to a plane on a temporary basis through spells are banished, outsiders that have physically transversed to a plane (through Plane Shift or Gate) dissolve into planar substance when they are slain.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The entire 'with the fleet' part of that arc was filler, so of course the Haley/Belkar was better. That doesn't make Celia any less of a frustratingly dense character.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My first though is an illusion. The entire remaining party can perceive Xykon, and Phantasmal Killer is a phantasm spell, rather than a physical illusion, so that mean it would have to be a 9th level Weird spell, so it's entirely conceivable that Haley didn't catch the DC 34+ trap.

If it isn't an illusion, my guess is that Nale will interrupt the battle before it begins, and Xykon v Linear Guild will go down, what's left of the order will beeline for the gate, and end up having to fight a possessed V.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jng2058 posted:

In short, I'm betting that Malack, Durkon, and Xykon will all prove to be immune to this spell. However, if it does affect them by being some kind of intricate illusion effect or just because Girard cheated with some kind of Epic spell that trumps undead immunities (which would be pretty apropo, considering that Malack cheats with custom spells designed to trump vampire vulnerabilities) then Malack will release Durkon, and Durkon will quit the Order anyway.

I'll also be shocked if Tarquin doesn't have Mind Blank or a similar effect up, rendering him immune to it as well.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Either needed, or part of his fantasy is that V shows up okay and the party works well together as a team.

Not really though, since Belkar, Haley, and Elan were all mostly or totally ineffectual during the fantasy, betraying Roy's low opinion of them. Roy still sees the order as "Roy and the Primary Casters", at least as far as getting things accomplished is concerned.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

morcant posted:

Right. Remind me what the Cylons' "plan" was, again?

I've personally gotten really tired of prophecies in fiction. It seemed novel the first series I ran into with it (which happened to the Sword of Truth series), especially when the apparently obvious prophecy was subverted. I even got tired of that, too. I just don't understand why it crops up so often - is it just a really easy way of raising the stakes of a story?

That is one of the many reason it can be used, yes. The main use of a vague prophecy, however, is to excite the imagination with howand when it is going to be fulfilled. It's a lot like a story told in flashback: you know the outcome, but how the outcame came to be. Used badly, it defuses all tension, used well, it opens up a wide range of speculation and expectation in readers.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

If he were killed and then brought back with a Reincarnate spell, would he technically still be Belkar?

Yes. Same soul, same class levels, same build.

It would be like saying that he can escape the prophecy by being polymorphed, since he would no longer technically be Belkar.

Edit: I figured that if he wanted to subvert it, Rich would turn Belkar into something that doesn't breath; lots of choices there. I don't think he will though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I wonder if Shojo's appearance in Belkar's fantasy means that Belkar has a death wish. His fantasy didn't appear to involve violence/adventuring, which tells me that watching Durkon sacrifice himself to save his life may have changed Belkar's priorities quite a bit. I have to wonder if the big punch line is that Belkar is going to die no longer wanting to have anything to do with the adventure, or that his death wish will lead him to try to make a heroic sacrifice to save his teammates.

Either way, wanting to be/remain dead (and therefore hang out with Shojo) is a good way of making his death permanent, and a heroic sacrifice might just get him into Chaotic Good heaven.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Heads up: my antivirus just blocked a malicious redirect when I checked the comic. You might want to avoid the site for a bit.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

You'd think an epic spellcaster would be able to come up with some sort of illusion that recreates the taste of some really good coffee at will. I know, one less spell slot for POWERRR, but how high a spell level could that really be?

Undead are immune to phantasms, and still wouldn't be able to perceive non-mental illusory tastes.
:goonsay:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Tarquin wears a Ring of True Seeing. Not terribly good unless he deliberately ignores them for some reason.

Depends on how big the chamber is. True Seeing only extends out to 120 ft., and they're entering on the opposite side. Even if they are in range, Tarquin is the type to let them go 'undetected' if it suits his inevitable plan to betray Nale.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Noah posted:

Or an item that fucks up vampires. Remember, he did kill 3 vampires before.

I doubt those vampires were as powerful as Malack or Durkula. It's not clear how powerful Malack is, but Durkula is around level 15, like the rest of the Order, and has a full array of vampire benefits as well. We know Nale is exactly level 15 (and in a poor class combination), and doesn't have the benefit of a fairly nasty template.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Malack is a lower (actual) level than Durkon.

I don't think we have anything suggesting an upper bound on Malack's level yet. All we know (I think) is that he's at least 12th level, since he has a custom staff (and therefore Craft Staff).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

Or just money to pay someone to make a custom staff.

I can't see Malack going up to another Cleric and asking "Can you make me a staff than create mummies, protects me from daylight, and causes vampires to rise more quickly," but you're correct.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shwqa posted:

I expect this from horrible forum posters. They LOVE rape. I don't expect them to complain that the room built by wizards couldn't possibly have good autistics.

This is a wonderful typo.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

A special mention has to go to post #5 in that thread, whose author felt the need to relativize an idiom of mild criticism with a paragraph about how it's just an idiom and it was a really clever question actually and please please not to be mad.

I mean, being stupid on a forum, that's the internet. Being unable to call someone out for being stupid, because that might be perceived as rude, that's a circle of hell.

This is also the forum where posters have text color keys in their signatures so others can tell when they are being sarcastic. 'tis a spergy place.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I think it's just about time for Tarquin to show up with whatever his plan is.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

So, uh, someone who knows things give me a tactical appraisal of the situation. Monster IX is how bad.

Not that bad. An Elder Elemental is only CR 11. Even weakened, the Order has three mostly functional level 14-15 characters. They should pretty easily be able to pull though, barring Silicon Elemental bullshit.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

urim posted:

So according to http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/ a creature with lvl 11 CR should be easy for a party of 4 with an ECL of 14. But considering how much damage they have already taken, its not likely to be that easy. However the kicker I think is that as they engage the elemental, the fiends are going to send Vaarsuvius back and he still basically has all his spells left.

I figure that Tarquin either the Linear Guild or Tarquin are going to make an appearance mid-fight.

Something else I forgot: that elemental is only going to last about 2 minutes before the spell ends; The Order could conceivable outrun it, should something else not interfere.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

That thing is colossal!

Nope, it's huge. :engleft:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I have to wonder where TMITD's well thought out and clever bluff came from. It might be a clue as to creature's identity; not many monsters invest in Bluff.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

e X posted:

when it comes to unintentionally broken mechanics, no other system comes even close.

You don't have much experience with P&P games, do you?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jng2058 posted:

On the other hand he seemed to legitimately like Penelope, his dead wife that V zapped, and he didn't think it worth his time to spring for a Raise Dead for her or anything.

Raise Dead doesn't work on those killed by death effects; he would have needed a Resurrection spell, which Malack couldn't cast. It's entirely possible that Tarquin didn't have access to 13th+ level cleric out in the middle of a massive desert continent.

Further, I wouldn't put it past any epic necromancy to have a soul-destruction side effect. Lots of high-end effects in DnD give resurrection a 50% fail chance, requiring Wish if it fails.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Do we know how many spells/charges the staff actually holds?

Staffs hold a max of 50 charges, and according to Tarquin, each of the mummies in the pyramid were 'a couple charges from [the] staff', so I'd guess that the staff is no more than half full.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Durkon's as an unundead had a natural Str of around 14, right? As a vampire, how hard is he smacking the unarmored, already hurt drow wizard there?

Vampire is +6 strength, so he's hitting for less than Roy would.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
What he means is :siren:new comic:siren:!

edit: Beaten like a drow wizard.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gally posted:

Welp, fair well dark elf. I thought it might happen but drat, that was cold. I'm not up on my rules really, is it possible for vampire Durkon to get spells that can heal the living?

Yes, but he probably didn't prepare any, since he's used to being able to spontaneously cast them.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Elves just seem to have the worst luck in this setting. Seriously, I can't think of a single one who hasn't been horribly traumatized or horribly killed.

What were they thinking, trading Constitution for Dexterity :smaug:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Guys, Durkon has a stick that can cast Protection from Daylight with him, presumably once per day. There will not be sun-related hijinks.

Staffs have limited charges; we've been over this.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Story overrides your sperglord rules; we've been over this.

Re-read the post I was responding to, then your own. We agree that the issue is will probably be brought up at some point. I don't know any more than you do how big of a deal it will be. There's nothing spergy about that, so gently caress you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Technically, vampires don't actually need blood according to srd :v:

That said, according to later books, vampires need both blood and life force (negative levels); life force every day and blood every three. They slowly go insane otherwise, but they don't actually deanimate for years.

I figure Rich is just using those as guidelines though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

Is there anything in the SRD that says humans must consume food to survive?

Actually, yes. Humans need 1 pound of food/1 gallon of fluid per day according to the DMG starvation rules.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Slime posted:

I vaguely recall some game where your guns had infinite ammo and you never needed to reload...until the DM decided the moment would be dramatic enough for you to run out. This often occurred to both you and your enemy at the same time, of course.

That's a good way of dealing with ammunition.

Paranoia works like this, but it's a comedy game.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

What if a vow of poverty monk who no longer needs to eat becomes a vampire?

He would lose the benefit of Vow of Poverty because he stopped being Exalted Good.

e: beaten

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

What if a helm of opposite alignment is paved on him at the exact moment he turns? And the helm has some curses on it decreasing its net value to zero.

Your DM kicks you out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Haley and Roy both have +5 weapons, I'd assume Belkar does too.

They have +5 weapons through story events (Roy in particular got one at a hilariously low level); it's not really safe to assume the same for Belkar.