Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wait, I'm confused - hasn't he hit with 3 out of 6 attacks at this point? People seemed to be talking like he's not hitting at all.

That first Thonk? Definitely a hit. That Clank? Okay, maybe that was deflected? The Slash? Hit, again, causes a purple wound. That "clang clang clang" seems like one attack that missed. Then we have a splotchrk, an obvious hit. Finally, the last panel seems to show a shield block.

50/50 seems to be a decent enough hit rate, might mean he's rolling a bit low, but nothing particularly out of the ordinary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Len posted:

Are there any similar web comics that aren't painful to read or is OotS basically the only decent one?

Catching up makes me wonder where my old print versions are though. Maybe i'll try to track those down tomorrow.

Similar in what way?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Len posted:

RPGish humor/fantasy sort of similar.

Prequel and Table Titans would be my suggestions, with the first being the traditional "tell a serious but hilarious story that uses rpg cliches as the basis for some of the jokes" sort of thing. Prequel also has much better art than OOTS and some amazing animated sections and interactive video games built into the strip (you can tell it was spawned on the MS Paint Adventures forum).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not really, Malack clearly self-identified as the continuation of that individual, being resurrected he felt would be as if he were "reset" to that individual; primarily from when he remarked he can still vividly remember the taste of the blood of his siblings. Considering he's well past the point where anyone would care or not whether he's driving someone else's body it's strange to maintain the ruse for so long. The point is Malack doesn't seem to be someone knowingly living a ruse but seems to legitimately believe he is that person.

Kajeesus posted:

Maybe vampire spirits just like to think that they used to be people, so Malack genuinely thinks he's an extension of that shaman, and the real reason Durkula is gloating is because he actually wants to be Evil Durkon.
You don't seem to get what the strip has implied - Malack and Durkula are continuations of their previous selves in a way. They absorb their memories into themselves. I imagine once that process is done, the original person's former life is effectively the vampire's former life - or at least the vampire would remember it as such, even if they also know they are an unerring servant to their dark god.

If you have someone's memories, relationships, name, and experience, you are them enough to probably consider them a past you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Speaking of fantasy comics about monsters being main characters and not all that bad with exceptionally lovely art, has anyone here read " The Mansion of E"?

As far as lovely webcomics goes I think its one of the better ones and it has a frequent update schedule, so I just figured I would put that out there as another option for digressions.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Dolash posted:

heroes defeating an evil skeleton to save the world

I think it's pretty necessary when combined with the idea that the snarl, whatever it is, isn't going to let him destroy it. So it needs to be replaced with an understanding that the world is still at risk, even if the snarl isn't that risk.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So what you are saying is that Rich is not, in fact, alright? :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

But... but school and jewel don't rhyme.

Is that the joke?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

...which dialect of English do you speak?

American?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Well, okay then. No big deal I guess. The more you learn. Just thought I was missing a joke.

Edit: I asked around the office, everyone was confused like "no, they don't rhyme, that's dumb". Region is New England. Maybe we're the only ones in the US that say it right, I dunno.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 28, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Redcloak went through effort to find out if the world had psionics, as in the class.

I dont think there was a question of whether psionic powers exist.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I usually do open rolls. At the very least the players get to roll their own dice, so the high stakes moments I'd most want to fudge aren't really fudgeable, like Saves and stuff.

I did play one game where I had to hide all the dice rolls, but that's because one of the NPCs had the ability to adjust dice rolls on the fly and figuring out who he was and that he had that power (and then how to actually beat him, by engineering situations where he'd straight up roll himself into inescapable trouble) was a core aspect of the campaign.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I kind of want to report the Goblins guy to my local newspaper. He doesn't do enough to prevent alignment discussion.

Apparently he's actively developing an animated cartoon based on his comic and there is a studio involved and voice actors and they have already done a good amount of animation?

Weird. Still no word about preventing alignment discussion though, you are right, report him to that newspaper!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Elan is also the other one who has figured out when they were being tricked/conned. Remember that he's the one who finally broke the illusion spell that would have otherwise gotten them all killed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Eox posted:

Vampires have Dominate Person, which only affects humanoids. Scruffy and Blackwing are immune, but Blackwing is a good bird.

Could they dominate V through Blackwing via the familiar relationship? I don't actually know how that works, familiar stuff is wonky to me.

Seems like a decent precaution regardless.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Guys, guys. We have a solemn duty to perform:

She used to command undead, but now she turns them, so she can't be Evil. But she's moved by the desire to murder (not kill) Durkon, so she can't have become Good. Since Loki is chaotic evil, Hilgya must be Chaotic Neutral. Discuss.

Can't evil clerics still turn on dead, it's just the result is called "rebuke" or something? Same result otherwise.

And they command instead of destroying, (but both are still considered turning)?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hillary is played by someone who insists their character transcends alignment and the grid just doesnt make sense, so she has a non standard alignment. A sort of 10th way, if you will.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

We're going all the way down and we're taking you with us.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nah its not corporations that serve gods or corporations with members that become gods. Its the corporation itself, and its corporal forms are the ever growing and changing buildings that seem to produce goods and paperwork and seemingly mindless creatures with very specific tasks... and yet they demand their followers frequently supply "laborers", who enter the corporations complex never to be seen again, and provide new regular opportunities for expansion.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Oh, right. That's even more opposite of what Hilgya is saying.

She also probably doesnt understand how that makes sense, based on her general approach to things, so she might have convinced herself he was just making an excuse.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Earnestly posted:

Not to be that guy, but I'm pretty sure that Roy's alignment would prevent him from allowing an infant to be put in harm's way unnecessarily.

But Hilgya is absolutely right in regards to him almost certainly being safest strapped to the high level cleric.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The "no true neutral" rule for clerics makes perfect sense though. It's a one step removed rule, so you would already have to be neutral in some respect - lawful neutral, chaotic neutral, neutral good, or neutral evil.

But all of those deities are, unlike the "mixed" deities, defined almost solely by that aspect. Loki (chaotic evil) might accept someone who is just chaotic because they still serve him through their chaoticness, but why would would Nerull be interested in a follower that wasn't evil? That's all he's got! He'll still take you if you are lawful evil or chaotic evil, but he's not going to take someone that is not evil at all - and that's the only direction you can move in to get True Neutral.

Basically the "neutral+" gods are all more extreme and mono-dimensional, they aren't defined by their neutrality, so it would make sense that simple having a "neutral" in common with them doesn't actually give you anything in common with them, and thus "true neutral" is not a valid position for a cleric to be in unless they worship a true-neutral deity who is defined by that neutrality.

The rule is basically "you have to have at least one moral axis in common with your god" but the "neutral [blah]" gods are actually just "pure" [blah], so a true neutral character still wouldn't have anything in common with them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There are so many cool and awesome gimmicks and twists and cool things and powerfully dramatic thints you can do with wound transference magic.

This is probably the stupidest example of it i have ever seen.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I do remember there was an old game, starsiege, where the robots strapped incredibly lifelike animatronic babies to the outside of their mechs, and played baby cries out of their loudspeakers, with the idea not that it would stop people from attacking them but that the instinctive mammalian response would slow down reaction time enough to reliably let the cybrid get the first shot.

What I am saying is casting an illusion to cover yourself with fake crying babies would be a lot easier to maintain and still probably give you a distinct combat advantage against good aligned characters, without having to maintain actual children.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Poil posted:

The whole thing stinks of a bad gm trap to gently caress over the party paladin. "Haha if you attack him you hurt a child and fall but if you don't attack him he is evil and killing people so you fall anyway lol."

I mean a whole lot of stuff in D&D, even in this very comic the thread is ostensibly about, is very clearly intended as puzzles for the players and makes no sense in a cohesive world. Figuring out non-damage based ways to quickly defeat him could be fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I actually had a pyramid scheme energy siphon cult in one of my games. Experience and collected souls went up the chain, damage and aging and orders went down the chain. At the top, of course, was a "god", the one who came up with the scheme. And someday you can be a god too!

Was a really fun gimmick, would highly reccomend a MLM necrowizard cult if anyone ever wants to try it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

How did it end? Did the players buy in? Did the market crash?

One of the players bought into it without the others knowing at first, ended up pretty funny. Market never crashed, but I dont think he ever got as much out of it as he put in either. Made for lots of amusing drama though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

Neither of these is good DMing.

"You can't play a character that doesn't fit the setting/adventure we're going to be playing" is perfectly fine DMing for anything but the most freeform of campaigns.

But then as I've grown older I've become more and more partial to having prebuilt 2/3rds done completed characters and letting my players choose one and fill out the details, which honestly feels a lot more like "role playing" than what I usually get and honestly seems to result in everyone having a much better time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I don't know if Xykon has any actual plans to complete the gate ritual. He might just plan on winging it once he has control.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

That also means that Xykon is very good at dealing with short term threats but he's completely unprepared for someone playing a long game against him.

He spends a lot of time accumulating a lot of power, that leaves him a lot more prepared than others might be.

The only thing he has completely missed and can't really fix via having more power or making some last minute adjustments is the phylactory being a decoy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

What do the runes say?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I do not see a new comic

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Like riding a bike... :smug:

Oh wait I was wrong anyway, there is a new strip I hadn't seen yet

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I am still not sure why anyone but Xykon thinks the gates are going to help him establish himself as ruler of the world. I can't imagine anything that's preventing him from doing so now being remedied by its ownership.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sereni was well aware of that. Destroying it really is the far worse option because we have no reason to believe, and she has no reason to beleive, someone controlling it would be any worse. Really the only thing it seems capable of doing is the same thing destroying it would accomplish - release the snarl.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Holy crap, I'd never read this McCaffrey sex stuff, is it both crazy and hilarious. I never got deep enough into Pern to encounter this stuff I guess, and definitely never into the fandom where her... unique views... became more widely known.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wasn't he excited to use favoured enemy against the giants? Or rather the giant vampire? So that's probably one of them.

Edit: Oh wait no maybe you're right and it was the undead bit.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Rumda posted:

That was Durkon and his racial dodge bonus against giants

It was definitely Belkar, it was after he got thrown off the mountain and had to climb all the way back up. And then Roy cut the dude in half before he could kill it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah I was definitely just remembering stuff in that page that wasn't in that page.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My favorite twist in the twist is when all the characters realize they are in a dream and must then either try and wake up (if they are the sleepers) or try and prevent the sleeper from waking up and destroying them, or otherwise come to terms with their imminent nonexistence, or somehow find a way to continue to exist outside the dream.

There's a lot of potential there.

But no, beyond the illusion in the desert I dont think OOTS is gonna have anything else where what we see the characters doing turns out to have been fake. The only remaining likely candidate for any sort of "none of this is real" is the scribble histories which are of questionable truth and accuracy, but I am pretty sure everything else is and always is going to be "real".

On topic question about the snarl and universes: When the gods recreate the universes, does that include having to remake all the different dimensions like the one where xykons philactory is? Does anything but the gods themselves survive to the new universe?

I remember they need enough souls to "get through" and survive themselves but don't really understand how that works - do the souls themselves survive the process? Are they all eaten to provide enough energy for the gods to last through creation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I love this btw, thank you!

Dr Pepper posted:

The comic itself says its more like the souls power the planes of existence. Which dies seem to work to keep the gods alive but it seems a lot more indirect than the worship and devotion they get from living mortals.

I have no idea what this means.