Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Ok did I get brain damage and not know about it or did only 6 of the stated 7 demigods vote? It seems like it's still a tie.

E: Yeah dwarf dude in blue robes didn't vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I remembered the dwarf, but the narrative felt like it'd forgotten about the 7th voter rather than a deliberate omission.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure there's a number of artists who would rather focus on the pictures or just aren't very interested in mincing words. Normally those are the ones that end up working for others as artists. Mutual benefit and whatever.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I thought it was only the side story text updates that were optional, it's p clear that the text updates that show up in the same archive & numbering system as the actual comics are meant to be just as mandatory.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The "Balance of the Force" thing was always about philosophical balance, not numerical balance and I always shake my head when people talk about the latter. Maybe if Lucas had used "Harmony of the Force" or similar, people would've gotten the right idea and none of these silly discussions would've happened.

Or "Stability" or "Equilibrium".

Kyte fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 6, 2016

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Gods can talk among themselves but they can't see (nor care about) the mortals enabling it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DrakePegasus posted:

Rich is okay, just pretty pissed cuz he found out someone used the success of his Kickstarter to scam people.

Wait, what?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

my dad posted:

Considering that Malack's plan for the Empire of Blood was Rich's way to critice the meat industry

wait what?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
So what color would Banjo be.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Duodecimal posted:

R. Garriot

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I've always relied on Firefox's live bookmarks for checking webcomics and I'll be forever infuriated Google decided RSS isn't worth it.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Okay but what does "still going" mean for a comic like megatokyo? Like how many actual pages have come out in the last five years? Ten?
Since I'm a creature of habit and it's not like it takes effort to check when there's a new page, I'm still reading it. It's about one a week, IIRC.

In terms of storyline, it's actually resolving things, which is amazing, it's just so dense it takes literal months to complete one hour of comic time. Maybe by next year Miho will be finally done. It's already, like, 70% there? I'm not really willing to knock it on the pacing because Paranatural just finished Max's third day of school after over a year (IIRC) and other plot-centric webcomics aren't much better either. Or many weekly manga, for that matter. It's just how serialization happens.

Malpais Legate posted:

Okay but Megatokyo is also another comic where a leading character is a literal object that increases boob size to please men.

I haven't read it since like 2006 so maybe Fred did an apology tour akin to Rich's, but lmfao is that webcomic a fuckin mess.
She's got an arc about figuring herself out and it frames treating her as a thing as a not cool thing so there's that?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Quick reminder, you're not obligated to read something. If you feel ashamed then quit and if you don't you don't need to pretend you do.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't in particular hold this against Buckley as an artist since drawing those composites and having them actually come together is inarguably work, what's arguable is to what extent it becomes a crutch.

At that point I think there's a rabbit hole around that kind of argument.

Enough of a crutch that he did away with it when he decided to be a big boy comic maker, at least.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Ideally Durkon takes Kudzu from Hilgya because Hilgya is clearly a Bad Mom.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Trans people are not exempted from lovely artistry, so probably not.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'd assume meeting Sigdi gave her a slight attitude adjustment. Safety and health first, after all.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
TVT is perfectly fine if you take it as what it was always supposed to be: For entertainment purposes. Spend an evening wikiwalking and finding out about new works or whatever. Maybe even learn something new about stories and how they're made.

It's just a lot of people try to use it for actual guidance for writing or litcrit and that's when things gently caress up.
Also one has to keep in mind it's a wiki so you can't actually take anything it says on pure face value, even random fandom trivia, because people are often wrong.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Wasn't Hilgya directed to the party by Loki or something?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

e X posted:

The best definition of Mary Sue I ever heard was a character that effortlessly overcomes problems the original characters struggled or straight up failed to solve.

IMO it's fairly simple. The basic gist of a Mary Sue is that they are an attention and agency black hole. Once they're introduced, suddenly other characters stop doing things they could do just fine and the camera mysteriously can't stop focusing on them. They could have all the negative traits in the world, but if the story just won't stop shoving them on your face, then you've probably got a mary sue anyways.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I suspect that Serini has been manually stocking the dungeon with monsters, rather than them just magically replenishing. If that's the case, she's probably pretty annoyed at the bugbears for making her do lots of extra work. :v:

Unless that's part of the agreement and Oona conveniently left out some details.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
A thought: Isn't the Plan, like, completely useless?

Let's say the Plan goes through. Alright, now the gods are sufficiently cowed to accept your demands. However, they physically cannot fulfill any of the demands as they would involve direct intervention upon the currently extant world.

Alright them, let's assume they'll do for the next world. That's what Redcloak's banking on anyways.
However, if we're talking about the next world, and assuming TDO didn't die in the interim, then the Plan is not needed. By simple virtue of existing, especially given he has his own unique quiddity, TDO has to be given voice, vote and turn. Not doing so risks creating a new 2-color Snarl. Thor has said as much. All it'd take is to wait for the next world and he can personally fulfill his people's needs, like any other god.

Am I missing something else?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh I am aware Redcloak is in deep, deep denial. But I see a lot of people talking as if the Plan were actually relevant and not just Redcloak's way to throw a tantrum.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
If the gods were allowed to enact any significant actions, then Tiamat would've done something in revenge for losing literally a quarter of the total evil dragon population.
Or, for that matter, the 12 gods when Azure City was sieged.
So as a general rule it's safe to assume any kind of proactivity is not allowed for some or another reason.

However, given that creating magic items is something wizards can do without much fuss, I'd imagine creating artifacts doesn't really blip on the gods' radars as long as they're limited in scope.
Alternatively it was the mantle he wore before ascending and the divinity just rubbed off on it. Or the goblins recovered it and used it as a focal point for their worship. Lots of possibilities that don't involve major intervention.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

jng2058 posted:

Oh you read the end of Chainmail Bikini too, eh?

It's such a shame that collaboration didn't work out.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I feel Unsounded does it right in releasing pages that really need to go together all at once and then just taking a break for the corresponding number of days.
It's also proof that with advance warning and the right timing, scheduling a long break doesn't kill your comic. People don't really mind if you go "Ok, chapter's over, see you in 1-2 months while I prep the next chapter".

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Couldn't you just ask the DM to treat the pommel or butt of the weapon as a sap and proceed from there?

Or is the issue that that's not an option with RAW?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Depth is a virtual dimension, clearly.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It still got stabbed by it though. That's not friendly behavior.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
As somebody who mentally checks out 5 minutes into a meeting I strongly relate with Elan and wish I could be excused more often.
It's not even about being an adult or not it's just that meetings are boring and I've got terrible listening comprehension and I could be working instead and read a brief after the fact.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

sebmojo posted:

Gygaxs idea that towns near dungeons had gold rush economies was one of his better ones, though I'm not sure he followed through

(This manga is a really funny look at both medieval history and RPG tropes.)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

habeasdorkus posted:

Even taking 10 gets you a 14, which is probably not michelin quality but should be pretty good so long as you've got decent ingredients.

Yeah but it's 4 ranks in gourmet chef, not regular chef. So I imagine it confers a stronger effect.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Man it's almost like incomplete information begets bad situations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
For all that Serini berates others for being inflexible, she herself is full of prejudices and intolerance for those that don't think Chaotic like she does. She literally cannot fathom the possibility that somebody might actually keep a promise once made. At least not without denigrating their mental faculties.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I imagine it zaps souls because it's made of higher dimensional realitystuff to which the distinction between "soul" and "body" is insignificant
like if you had a character printed in black and white on a sheet of paper as the "body" and then painted colors as the "soul", if you take scissors to the thing you're gonna cut both body and soul without ever realizing there's a meaningful distinction between the two

in which case if xykon got sliced while his soul is animating the body then his soul would get sliced too

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It would be awesome for there to be some race of shadow people in your campaign setting always doing stuff but it takes a DC 40 or something to see them. Only high level chargers see them sometimes, or some poor schmoe who got in a situation by coincidence with a bonuses stacked up and has a luckily high check and now is a crazy conspiracy theorist

The shadow people are actually just stagehands.
And obviously ninjas have the power to disappear by disguising as stagehands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
And sometimes it's blue.