Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
:siren: 1110 - The Perfect Strategy :siren:
Rich's allright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Well, this is the second time it's happened to her - and either she didn't had one (and hopefully, she learned her lesson), or fixing a bowstring is too slow for combat.
E: Regarding the lack of feat - it just means that: A.he makes a lower roll; B.she would get an AOO - doesn't matter here, as she's using a bow.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 4, 2018

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
So, anything special about this world? The bet for souls was made on this one - any reason?

Colonel Cool posted:

The point of this has to be that the gods are massive fuckups, right? The point of this has to be that they're doing something wrong and stupid over and over and over and they need a fresh perspective that would fix everything.

Well, the second world lasted four years ; this one lasted for centuries. They are getting better at this.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
:siren:1146 Assistance Needed:siren:

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Soo, now that we're past this book's climax (unless twist?), and are on to the mop-up and setting the next one:
I cannot recall if the thread talked about this before, but does anyone else find it ironic that team evil cannot recognize a shell game that's right in front of them?
(prediction - there's a reason the place is named Kraagor's Tomb. Xykon should have investigated it more, and doodled on it less)

Motherfucker posted:

neckbearded dwarf-man
*gasp!*

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
New One!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Another one.
Sigdi rocks.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Nice defenses, but are they Allosaurus-proof?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
New One!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Methinks I see an epilogue in the works.

We already saw him getting married (top right of flashback panel).

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Minrah's still the second-best dwarf.

Also, this is the second time a villain used plane shift offensively - and instead of choosing a lethal plane*, uses a less effective but more painful one. Why? Same reason people put Bond in an overly complex death trap, instead of before a firing squad?

*both elemental planes of fire, and water, are hard to survive without adequate preparation. Plane of positive/negative energy? Just a matter of time.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Glad not to be the first to make the joke about american politics. Feels like kicking your friend when he's down, y'know?

Also - the council could delay the vote without knowing what's even in it, 'cause of internal politics. No wonder the high priests in the moot went "not again".

Schwarzwald posted:

The Prequels: Anakin's compliance with and participation in the slaughter of children under his guardianship is the final emphasis that he has been lost.

The New Films: Things would have worked out fine if only Luke's student didn't wake up midway through Luke bringing the knife down.

...Are you sure you are in the right thread? How's that related?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Eifert Posting posted:

A good rule of thumb for fiction and life is that no one who brags about being clever is as clever as they think.

"Premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent"

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
The whole "need to die in combat to count" was part of norse mythology, wasn't it? Just being true to source, or at least pop-culture.
Also, apparently there was ways to get into Valhalla without dying in combat ; or, at least, to say "my friend poked me with a spear on my deathbed - totally counts!"

Also, re: Loki, I personally think that if a dwarf dies an honourable death, they will go to their god's domain rather than Thor's, if they're not worshipping him. I mean, we do see dwarven clerics of Odin, and of that dwarf king.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Jack Chick would’ve made an amazing DM

He's rolling in his grave hearing this.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Note : turn-to-stone aura extents after the hammer. Whatever goes up...

PMush Perfect posted:

Do you want a gibbering mouther? That's how you get gibbering mouthers.

Well, the magical ability to do so does implies they're a wizard - AKA, neither sound judgment nor a sense of right and wrong.
They do want a gibbering mouther.

Aside, didn't we already did this panel, during the godmoot? The shot an OOTS member in grave peril, and behind him a gloating vampire walking toward him?
*checks*
Okay, I thought for some reason that both had big-ending special size. Apparently not.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Well, someone gotta replace Belkar in Order Stickier

GodFish posted:

Doesn't Hel also have her priest in the godsmoot too?

Stuck there 'till the vote's over.

Also, re: Xykon back-up plan; There's a reason Redcloak need to manipulate him carefully, and keep secrets from him. Namely, a weakness to arcane-hammering-in-the-face; And Xykon's quite good at the latter.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

At some point material ingested becomes just part of the creature. Otherwise everything that teleports out would leave a little pile of unpooped poop out of its intestines.

From the text for Teleport in 3.5:
" You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load."
So, in order to not carry out undigested food, what did you eat and how is your stomach still intact?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

ikanreed posted:

But can you bring Theseus' ship?

Well, if the caster is a wizard, chances are they don't have enough STR to lift that bird Theseus used to navigate between sea monsters, much less the whole boat.
So no.
(I don't see how your joke connects to my nitpicks)

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Loki:I can't ever tell the truth. this sentence is false.
unless gloating - most certainly not a lie as well.
...Or is it? did I cast glibness prior to our conversation?
roll sense motive

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Re: the levels of Durkon's family;
Is dwarven-land a high level area (and thus, powerful NPC), or OOTS-verse operates under level-scaling system?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Heroes’ Feast spell : did it specify if it can/can't nourish a vampire?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

Durkon. This is still 3.5, Durkon could do the entire party's job on his own if he wasn't so humble. So could V, though they banned the strongest school

e: the only thing more optimized than straight wizard/cleric/druid/artificer/archivist (choose one) 20 levels is that base plus whatever full casting progression stuff you want. an early definition of "tier list" explains 3.5 it

Y'know, we know almost nothing about Durkon's build. Seriously, we know only one of his feats.
Now, pure cleric is a fine build... But Durkon is playing it sub-optimally. Remember how he kick rear end when he casts Thor's might? He should do that more, instead of healing (according to charop, anyhow)

Mystic Mongol posted:

If nothing else, she'll be a decent straight man. By being an outsider to the team she can highlight their relative strength... several Retrievers, 14 foot tall spider golems from hell with eye lasers, show up, she's worried, next panel is Elan finishing one off because they're actually pretty weak. It's the "party" slot filled by all those pirates in the last arc.

...She's not a straight man by any means. Showcasing the party's power, sure - but that ain't being the straight man. It's about personality, and she...

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

ikanreed posted:

If your read on hilgya is reckless and irresponsible and needlessly hostile, you've misread her pretty bad.

She's impulsive and refuses any authority foisted upon her. But she genuinely wants what's best for herself and her child and even dwarfkind.

Well, not "needlessly", but we do know that if do get a reason, she tend to very much over-react. See how she describes Durkon To Minrah, or killing Durkon when he proposed to her.

Also, not letting Durkon see Kudzo? Mean she gets between Sigdi and her grandson.
This is not a good long-term plan.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
So, any guesses on how many strips 'till the "book ends" one?
I'm putting my bet* on 3, including the last.

*for absolutely nothing, redeemable everywhere

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

ikanreed posted:

I know it's a comic but crows can't fly in place.

There's a feat for that.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Anyone else gets the feeling that Eugene's gonna visit now?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

YggiDee posted:

Wealth above a certain percentage is legally a dragon's hoard, and a dragon will spontaneously develop over it.

Like Smaug?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
:siren: And we're done here! :siren:

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Funnily enough, I first thought it was a fourth-wall breaking joke - like the "I was only in one strip so far!".

sirtommygunn posted:

That must be some pretty good poison to take down O-Chul.

Elan did told him to never say stuff like "gonna retire tomorrow", or "I won't go down that easy"

Raenir Salazar posted:

My bet is also a Good/Chaos aligned team of outsiders; Asimar or maybe the Gifyanki? (Pronounced "gif") who don't want their memories wiped again.

But how did they remembered it in the first place?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Earnestly posted:

Possible book seven spoiler found in book six commentary:

On the commentary page after the Dwarven Council arc, Rich wrote that a character who has only appeared in one OotS page so far (including the prequel books) will play a big role in the first half of book seven. Any guesses as to whom?

That is a nice bit of trolling by Rich.
Also, all these who counted how many times each character has appeared are going "YES!" by now.
Also, I'm going with Sir Thumb, and hope I'll be wrong.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Wild theory time: it is Eugene, under an illusion - purely so he could get that jab in.

ikanreed posted:

"You could kill yourself"
"Oh I see"
"True, that could work"
They are lying. Fortunately for them, V is not educated enough in divine spells to know how long it takes to resurrect someone.

Poil posted:

Hmmmm, if she has enough of a sibling rivalry with Roy she could have the same level as he does. :v:

She does not. Last time they saw each other it's ended in a hug, remember?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Could see it. Thing is, Rich talked in the past about including a transgender character - he's reluctant about it, since he screwed it up in the past.
(Index here, relevant comments under writing)
Of course, people change their mind, been a few years.

Aside,

quote:

her speaking to her parents before leaving on the quest
...Huh? You mean that saying goodbye before a long (and potentially fatal) trip, is not normal?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Rich is fine!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
But even if gods do need a vascular system, how does one strikes fear into their heart? It just pumps blood (or ichor) in & out, it's not capable of thinking.

DoctorTristan posted:

Thing is, Thor's in pretty much the same situation. He can't actually promise Redcloak/Dark One anything - he's only one god acting alone and the changes Redcloack wants would need the agreement of all the gods.

And at least one god would refuse the deal outta spite.

Also, do note that Redcloak magic aura is still red, and not purple.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
- Minrah? Now your chance. Talk about a cliffhanger!

- Welcome to neutral evil, Redcloak. Trying to kill in middle of peace talk is a big no-no. And, as an aside, is very ironic.

- Durkon didn't mentioned that The Dark One won't survive, did he? He really should.

- As for why? Well, There's two options. One, stick to the old plan - all or nothing.
Second, abandon it... and settle for less.
Well, we should have expected Redcloak's fatal flaw to come here.
But why go for the kill? Suspicions of "he'll fight me later if I keep him alive" besides, because Durkon is making a good case, but Redcloak can't allow himself to be convinced - so he shoot, closing the lid on the offer before he feel too temped.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Taciturn Tactician posted:

He killed an envoy of the gods who wanted to negotiate, which is literally what The Dark One also did.

Counterpoint - he didn't accept a start to a peace talk. That's another problem by itself, but it's different from murdering somebody under false pretense of a peace talk.
Namely, in that first you can send somebody to negotiate (and stop this from being a war that'll continue 'till one side perishes) ; the other, not so much.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

This argument would hold a lot more weight if the vast majority of *any* leaders we've seen in the story were not varying degrees of unxaring, corrupt, or 'for the greater good' types.

Jirix?
(I'm reminded of the part where he takes over - namely, his comment on being a peacetime leader. As opposed to Redcloak, a wartime leader.)

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

ikanreed posted:

The king of somewhere seemed nice enough, what with paying for the destruction of an inn that happened because someone else posed as him.

He's a nobody, tho.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Where was that strip with a "how many spells to create fog do you need" gag?
edit: note that the paladins are still in their armour+magic items (like cloak), rather than stripped down.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Wasn't it established already that Tarquin'll be dealt with in oots 2 : electric boogaloo?