Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Bah, I'm rather disappointed with the 'hand wave' erase here. I was hoping that the memory enchantment would be gone. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Argh, I want a new strip. All those days of rapid updates spoiled me. :(

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Belkar is not looking good, looks like he has Mr. Scruffy to take care of him!

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Goddamn, I'm now going to be a bit bummed out for the rest of the day because of a stick figure death. :(

Its not easy being green.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Now Elan just needs to keep a lock of her hair, or a fingernail or something, and he can have the ultimate rebound girl if Haley+Elan doesn't work out. :v:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Ashcans posted:

Burlew has actually changed course on the comic in the past if he knows that people have anticipated his direction. I seriously doubt that he reads this thread though, 95% of the stuff we say comes up on his forums.

Which is pretty dumb... 'Oh no I laid out the foreshadowing in such a way it made the plot make sense and people are anticipating what will happen all excitedly!' BETTER PULL SOMETHING ELSE OUT OF MY rear end.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Kojiro posted:

Are we meant to understand what's going on there, because I really don't.

blah blah, random magic, blah. Long battle blah.

I'm not sure why he thinks showing us all these guards just defending their city (so they think) getting killed in horrible ways is a good way to spend weeks upon weeks of updates.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

ZorbaTHut posted:

There's probably a few things he's trying to show.

* The goblins are pretty buff when they're trying to be
* The shield is an incredibly powerful, yet incredibly dangerous artifact
* A large chunk of "how does each goblin deal with stress/danger"

Seriously, if you think that the only purpose for these pages is to show guards getting killed, then . . . I'm not really sure what to say.

Oh no, I get what he's TRYING to do. Its just failing, at least for me. I figured out the shield was very powerful a few pages ago, and yes the goblins can kick rear end. This now reads like he came up with a few AWESOME RANDOM ways for guards to bite it and we get to see them all.

Though if Big Ears smacks Complains upside the head and never wants to see him after this, it'll be a decent set up.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

ZorbaTHut posted:

Yeah, now I actually kind of feel sorry for him. Her. It. Whatever.

We knew invisibility was her last spell, and she would have been absolutely helpless if she'd dropped it, so doing anything else would have just resulted in her being slaughtered, but . . . man, that can't be fun.

Same. Poor V, she's always been my favorite character.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I've thought of V as a girl for a while now too, not sure why, she just seems like a girl to me.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

rotinaj posted:

This is the only part of the post I want to say anything about. The Oracle was really, really curt with his answers, for the most part. I doubt he'll have told the dragon EVERYTHING. Also, the dragon seemed pretty confident that V was hosed when the dragon teleported away, and didn't seem to be in any hurry to get there before the evil dudes gave V all this power.

Basically, while the dragon may have planned and schemed, I think this is out of the blue, and the dragon's not aware.
But the Oracle hates humans and likes dragons, so he might have told her a lot more. I think the poster above me might have the right idea.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Haha, they made popcorn.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I also think we're probably going to see 1 big spell from the other two remaining souls as well.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Cliff Racer posted:

Thinking back to the strip with the oracle isn't it impossible for Xycon to be destroyed here? He still has to get within 1000 feet of Girard's gate.

I don't think anyone thinks he'll be destroyed here.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

ConfusedUs posted:

Third'd. drat.

I don't think a single person would not support that. Its just so... so... perfect!

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Ashcans posted:

I am pretty sure it is permanent on its own, but can be reversed by other spells. I believe that Break Enchantment would work, which is a 5th level Wizard/Cleric spell, but I have no idea if Varsuvius or Durkon have it.

I would hope that one of them does, because there is enough going on without having to haul around a statue of Haley for any number of strips.

I guess that it could also be used by Tarquin to leverage Elan, though? I am sure Tarquin would be able to get the effect reversed one way or another, but he might make a point of exacting some sort of payment for it?

They cured Roy's ladyfriend when she was turned to stone ages ago, so its an easy fix. They had to use a scroll that Nale Just Happend to have, but I think they aren't hard to find.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
The books are color.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Zore posted:

One thing this reveal also does is confirm that Ian/Haley are not actually secret Draketooths of some sort.

Well, Ian was in the prison where no magic would work right? Maybe the spell couldn't reach him there, and thus could not work on Haley either.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Too every one posting: You are all assholes.
Now i have to post to help fool the next person!

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Mr. Scruffy tried so hard!! Awww...

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Roy has always been so self important too, it would be great to see him NOT be the leader, and actually find he is happier that way.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

RentACop posted:

History's greatest monster

Yes?

I think we're gonna see a scene change pretty soon, I hope we flash to V and she reunites with the party soon, that would really signal we're getting close to being done with the desert gate.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

peak debt posted:

All this Durkon talk about free will is why you can't let most players keep playing their characters after they turn evil. Becaues they're always going to try to rule-lawyer themselves into basically staying as they were before instead of properly acting out the new part.

If Durkula did choose that he needed the OOtS for his mission, it'd make a lot more sense to beat them into submission, wait for night time then turn as many of them into his vampire pets as the HD limit allows and dominating the rest, rather than trying to somehow save them as living Durkon would have done.

The purpose of RP is fun and Durkon working with the order as a vampire is a hell of a lot more fun than your 'most logical' scenario there. If what is more fun goes against 'the rules' but everybody is on board with it being more fun, its time to ignore said rules.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Do we really need to deal with Haley's dad again this book? I could see further movement concerning both Haley and Elan's dad problems happening in a later book to contrast the two relationships and resolutions. We don't really need to go back to the city, just get the order out of hot water here, reunite with V and Durkon and decide where they are going next. Then the next book just starts after a time skip. Unless whatever Tarquin was up to that we were not privy too is time or location sensitive we might not even see him again this book.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Welp, fair well dark elf. I thought it might happen but drat, that was cold. I'm not up on my rules really, is it possible for vampire Durkon to get spells that can heal the living?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Cat Mattress posted:

His diety situation is that now he has to drink blood instead of beer. That's a pretty major change of diet.

He's going to go full evil when they return to the dwarven lands and he realizes he can't enjoy the beer anymore. Mirroring Xykon with the coffee see.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

ConfusedUs posted:

It was alright. The best part was Nale's costume at the masquerade.

I liked the Empress of Blood showing up as the princess myself.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Who What Now posted:

This would be a better argument if scanners didn't exist.

People are lazy and not many people are going to put out the effort to scan the books in, let alone at decent quality.

There's also the issue of how much would he charge for a pdf. Would people pay the same price as a book? Of course not! So what is fair then? 20? 15? 10? 5? Now its just getting silly.

Of course his argument assumes there are people who would buy the PDF instead of the hardcopy, a very large number of people, instead of people buying ONLY the PDF who would have never bought the books otherwise. Which I think is the more likely case, so that pretty much renders other arguments moot. One day he'll have to put out official pdf versions, there is a limit to how many times you can reprint books for late coming fans.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

ConfusedUs posted:

It seems like he's the kind of guy that isn't good at working from home, to be honest. Lots of people aren't. It takes quite a bit of self-discipline to set yourself certain working hours to which you require yourself to adhere. A lot of people who work from home full time end up either working all the time and burn out, or they endlessly procrastinate because they can "take care of it anytime".

I love OOTS and all, but all signs point towards Rich as an endless procrastinator.

Didn't it used to update pretty frequently until his health problems became worse?

I started reading about the time Roy died and recall a pretty steady update schedule. Of course this could be me totally misremembering.

VVV I think he has a cintiq. Its his computer that pooted out, not his fancy monitor/tablet.

Gally fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 16, 2013

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

VanSandman posted:

Are you loving kidding me. "Well, instead of doing my stickfigure webcomic from scratch (what'll that take, a day at most?) I'll work on something else that only a select few will ever see and isn't even new content.

The few pages of ragging on Rich's (total lack of) professional business acumen were funny but it's rapidly becoming more pitiable than anything else.
He could've had automatic backups but he didn't. He could work on a buffer but he doesn't (this is forgivable considering how much he cares about getting the writing right). He could do any of a hundred small things that would keep his webcomic from stalling every few weeks, but he doesn't.

Ugh. It's possible to like an author as a person but be utterly horrified by their business and production model, especially when you contrast it with things like Gunnerkrigg Court which updates like clockwork because Tom is dedicated to keeping the thing that keeps people coming back on a regular schedule.

How many years have we been in the desert again?

Tom is awesome but if you want to be horrified by his business sense you can do that too! He would ahve been able to quit his job years before he did if he had played his cards better. He also makes like no money from the book sales, he's not talked about much, but I've gleaned he signed a really bad contract, he only gets money if you order them from topataco, not the publisher themselves.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Glad he was able to find another machine and bang this one out. It shows he doesn't have all his normal assets though - check out the slight color shifting on stuff like Laurin's hair, it has a green tint now, and some of the other chars look like they suffer from bad bucket fills.

Also hooray for Sabine already getting a bit of revenge.

And Tarquin looks so mad at Elan's singing, haha.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not quite. We already know from Malack that it works that way, the finer details are irrelevant. The comic has made it clear in no uncertain terms that a vampire and the person they used to be are two different entities.
Its complicated a bit though as Malack vamped a very very long time ago, and Durkon is all fresh! Who isn't a different person than they were years ago?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Vorgen posted:

I, too, demand ideological purity from all the mass media I consume. Especially the free Internet comics.

I think you're in the wrong thread because sure as poo poo nobody said that here. Unless you're just taking people being happy that Rich is writing women better very strangely.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Now that's one happy looking baby.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

mmkay posted:

There was also a more recent page that confirms he was custom made:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1007.html

that page even says the vampire could reject hel's plan, so maybe we will see an about face.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Well goddamn.
I wonder how long he's had this up his sleeve.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
It was hilarious AND evil!

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Brainamp posted:

I want it known that I just reread up to the part where Miko kills Shinjo and that it's still an amazing sequence

That was the most current set of strips up when I became current on the comic, oh so long ago... I was forever hooked at that. I think the specific one i hit was when she breaks the gate and man, what a place to end up.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I read it as they were protest singers, with the signs behind them all the protesters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
The first strip I saw was when Miko killed Shojo. That was one hell of a jumping on point.