Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

the_steve posted:

As for reviving Shojo, I figure that either: Any cleric high leveled enough to bring back Shojo will be killed in the attack. Or, Xykon succeeds in taking over Sapphire City, so they won't be in a position to bring him back.

There's also the possibility that Xykon will bring Shojo back as some sort of undead. Being an undead would prevent his being raised.

There's also the possibility that Shojo's soul will be unwilling to return. He's pretty close to the end of his natural lifespan, he may just decide there's no point to coming back for what might be as little as a few more months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Nobby posted:

I loved the 300 reference in this strip.

"But I don't want to fight in the shade!"

Not really a 300 reference. It dates back to Herodotus, in his account of the battle of Thermopylae, it being the basis for comic book 300, and subsequently the movie based upon the comic book.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

He constantly has to be reminded of who the order of the stick is, even when not in their presence. I highly doubt it's an act.

Clearly, Xykon is a method actor. He doesn't want to break character.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Vanadium posted:

I see the Monster Manual and the Book of Vile Darkness, but what is "FF"?

Fiend Folio

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Vorxnyx posted:

Yeah, but when spellcasters say they have "one spell left" what they mean is "one spell left and then a teleport spell when things go south."

V can't cast teleport. It's Conjuration, his prohibited school.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Occam posted:

could we maybe talk about erfworld in its own thread, or in the main webcomics thread? it really doesn't have anything to do with oots aside from being hosted on the same site. I mean if no one else minds then whatever it's just my opinion you know v:shobon:v

I've been wanting to say pretty much the same thing for a while now. I didn't speak up because I thought nobody else cared.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Gally posted:

Is there anyway to fix him or is he a nice statue untill, I dunno, he dies of thirst?

Remove paralysis (2nd level cleric / paladin) or remove curse (3rd level cleric / bard, 4th level wizard) should fix him.

Durkon would definitely be able to fix him, Hinjo is probably high enough level to fix him, Lein might be high enough level, and there's even an off chance that Elan might have learned remove curse at some point. Should (s)he show up, V is of high enough level, the only question is if (s)he knows the spell.

Hell, if he weren't paralyzed, O'Chul himself could almost certainly cast Remove paralysis.

So yeah, O'Chul can be unparalyzed. Most likely as soon as it would be funny / dramatic.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Dr. Ron Paul posted:

Well basically just take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain) and combat reflexes and make sure to have a super high dex score. And, if you have the feats to spare, take combat expertise, improved trip and improved disarm in that order. Anyone who walks through your threatened square will be tripped and attacked, or disarmed completely. If you can be a large size, it gets even more fun.

"Ah, I thought I smelled cheese nearby."

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Choke Babies Now posted:

Also, they said they can't toss O-Chul in the bag, but I don't see them throwing Roy in.

Belkar stated earlier that he was worried putting Roy inside a bag of holding would qualify as Roy being more than a mile away, thereby setting off the mark of justice.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Sock posted:

I wonder how long Lien has been waiting for an opportunity like that.

The sad thing is, she's probably been waiting her entire career as a paladin to show all the other paladins that a shark wasn't a stupid choice. Now that she gets a chance to show off, there's only one other paladin left to see it. :smith:

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Zoolooman posted:

This update draws a humongous "meh" from me. We'll have even more downtime before Roy is revived. I'm not looking forwards to the wait.

Yeah, but if they're seperated for long enough they can't revive Roy with anything other than a true resurrection.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

All of those are horrible, and google is telling me there's no such person as James Earl Woods.

They're not all horrible. I think James Woods as the smarmy, too important to care sorcerer lich is pretty drat good. That is assuming he didn't mean James Earl Jones, in which case it's awful.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Order of the Stick: Stick it where the sun don't shine.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

Roy says it wasn't his job "to watch the grown-up," implying that the death was indeed the result of something Eugene was doing.

I'm not so sure about that. The only action Roy specifically attributes to his dad is shushing Roy. It's possible that the accident was caused by a grown-up other than Eugene, and Eugene just didn't stop it or listen to Roy's concerns about safety.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

PFlats posted:

I would argue that a lord's invitation would only work if a subject would honor it. If the rebels were working out of a house they owned, and wouldn't let Redcloak in, then the vampires wouldn't be allowed in either.

If there are some Vichy civilians who would let Redcloak enter, then the vampires would be allowed in as well (assuming Redcloak says they can).

Of course, Redcloak need not honor previous claims of property. By right of conquest he can simply claim the entire city as his regardless of previous ownership. He then has authority to allow vampires in anywhere.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Spikey posted:

They have at least one paladin. Can't they get cleric spells?

Yeah, but it's a 4th level Paladin spell. He needs to be at least 14th level to cast it. That would put him on par with the PCs, and put him ahead of nearly all the other (now deceased) Paladins of Azure City.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

NutShellBill posted:

Am I alone in hoping that Belkar found Mr. Scruffy? I could see him keeping the cat to commemorate the funny old man who made fun of Roy.

Well, he is a Ranger. He could have picked up an animal companion many levels ago.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

NutShellBill posted:

Am I alone in hoping that Belkar found Mr. Scruffy? I could see him keeping the cat to commemorate the funny old man who made fun of Roy.

Good job on calling this one two pages back. I'm glad to see Mr. Scruffy back. I'm hoping the new paladin gets put on Mr. Scruffy catbox duty. As I recall cleaning the catbox was one of O-Chul's tasks. As there is only one known remaining paladin in Azure City, clearly the duty (doodie?) falls to him.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Ashcans posted:

Isn't Belkar a Ranger? He's got to have at least four or five levels in that now. Would it be possible for Mr. Scruffy to have become his Animal Companion? :haw:

It would be possible, but it takes 24 hours to gain a new animal companion. Belkar only re-discovered Mr. Scruffy a few minutes ago.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

New strip is up!

Yes, I am aware how sad it is that I'm checking OOTS at 1 AM Saturday morning.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Rennej posted:

Hmm... Touche. I had forgotten that he hasn't been vomiting profusely since they entered the radius of the castle itself.

Proximity to Roy no longer has anything to do with Belkar's state. The mark has been set off. The only reason they're discussing using Belkar as a proximity alarm is because they don't know that the mark has already been set off. They don't know because of the Oracle's memory charm. They just think Belkar's sick. Besides, Belkar has been within a few feet of Roy's body the whole time while hiding in the cart.

Although, now that I think about it, taking Roy's body and not taking Belkar, knowing it would set off Belkar's mark of justice doesn't seem like a very lawful good think for Celia to be doing.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Gyges posted:

Man, Elan really should have seen that coming. Where's your Bard powers of plot progression, man?

I count at least 8 Ninja. By application of the Inverse Ninja Rule, they shouldn't need Elan's help. The ninja should be about as formidable as elementary school students.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Spazmo posted:

Given that Elan is going to go deal with the ninjas, I now fully expect this exact joke to be made in the next strip. Thanks a lot, you've completely ruined OotS.

He's already done (or at least referenced) the Inverse Ninja Rule.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0453.html

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Lilac Kimono posted:

So, anyone else think that the 'Priest' of Loki will be the Female Dwarf Durkon shacked up with early in the comic?

Could be, but I doubt it. Greysky is an evil city, and it's populated by northeners. That pretty much necessitates an evil Norse god. There really aren't that many choices for evil norse gods.

Besides, Pete says the priest is a childhood friend, and the evil priest Durkon slept with talked about running away from the dwarven city she grew up in. I suppose given the lifespan of dwarves, she could have run away from home 60+ years ago and also be Pete's childhood friend, but that seems overly complicated.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Cthulhuchan posted:

You know, that's a pretty poor plan when your victim is on a ship full of paladins.

But it's not a ship full of paladins. There are only three known remaining paladins of the Azure Guard. Hinjo, Lain, and guy who's name I can't remember who now leads the Azure City underground.

Edit: Crap, and O-Chul. So four known paladins. Regardless, Hinjo and Lain are both known to be off the ship making the poison a pretty safe bet (presuming it's a pretty fast acting poison, which it appears to be).

Kramer fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 18, 2008

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

For those that can't get to the site:

Click here for the full 743x1818 image.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Vanadium posted:

They should be sending for Vaarsuvius :(

V can't teleport either. It's a conjuration spell, which is his barred school.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Skrewtape posted:

I must be missing something. How did that cleric know the password for the curse?

The cleric said he'd seen it a number of times over the years. Presumably, Shojo just always re-used the same passcode.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

terminal mehmet posted:

Redcloak has got to be level 17, at least. Really, the bigger issue is why would any 17th level cleric help a black dragon, good or evil?

Why? A large mountain of gold? The deaths of all your enemies? Being owed a favor by an ancient black dragon with a special affinity for magic? (collecting on that favor might be troublesome)

I'm sure if there are any 17th level priests of Loki around, they'd likely be more than willing resurrect a black dragon for the right price. Redcloak would probably even do it if he thought he could get something useful out of it.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Bobulus posted:

This could go very badly for V, for reason just pointed out to me:

- V is going to get his soul spliced with several souls of extreme power.
- He's going after a dragon who likes to plan and scheme, and hates V (and may have visited an Oracle that could let him know how this is going to work out).
- Said dragon has soul-binding necromancy scrolls.

I don't know enough D&D rules to figure out how this is going to go, but it seems like having two soul-related magics in one scene is a Checkov's Gun.

I agree about the Checkov's Gun part, but I expect it will go another way. V accepts the deal, knowing that the dragon has scrolls of soul bind on her person. V then plans on defeating the dragon, then using the dragon's scrolls to permanently bind those souls to him / in gems. Thus V's debt to the three will never come due.

This of course, is V's plan. Whether it works out that way is a completely different question.

edit: Looking carefully, the spell Soul Bind actually requires a recently dead soul. So either Bulrew ignores that, or this is a total red herring.

Kramer fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 24, 2009

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

tripwood posted:

Durkon couldn't have rezzed V with only his head available, right? You'd need true resurrection / reincarnation for that.

Nah, just resurrection.

Raise Dead: Body intact.
Resurrection: Body not intact, but possess tangible remains of the body.
True Resurection: Body not intact, don't possess any part of the body.

So resurrection would work.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

pseudosavior posted:

...:aaaaa:

Holy gently caress that's brilliant, and I never thought of it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2300198&pagenumber=152&perpage=40#post357087397

Mentioned 12 pages back. Soul bind requires a recently dead soul -- unless a recently unbound soul is close enough.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Nosy_G posted:

So there's Deus Ex Machina number 2. I wonder what Burlew has in the wings for the third uber-spell.

We may not see it. #3's kinda been the unspoken Deus Ex Machina. Even with all the spells of the other two, without the sorcerer in the mix, V couldn't have cast any of these spells without preparing. For which he'd need a spellbook... filled with spells he doesn't have.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

They just need to raise Roy, and they're set.

Until, you know Belkar breathes is last breath ever in one year like the Oracle said. Hey, didn't Belkar just say they'd been separated for a year a strip back?

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

bison wings posted:

If 4 or 5 more paladins show up they could at least handle a rescue.

Except there aren't 4 or 5 paladins. Unless things have changed significantly, there's a grand total of 1, Thanh. A paladin who described himself as a glorified messenger. Add to that a couple clerics who couldn't cast third level spells, and a smattering of ex soldiers and thieves, plus whoever the other groups had.

Vs.

Xykon, who is probably low on his high level spells, but is an epic level sorcerer-lich and basically unhurt.

That's gonna be a REAL short rescue.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Find the nearest dragon, I guess. He could probably use a clever trapmaker for his lair and you know the dude pays well.

Provided he doesn't pull an Ivan the Terrible and have you killed / blinded after creating the trap.

^^ DAMNIT! I would have been faster, but I had to confirm the Ivan the Terrible reference.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

oobey posted:

That would be an exact quote, which is probably why this is just a reference.

Then again, the Duke Nukem quote is a rip-off from R. Lee Ermey's character in Full Metal Jacket. So, it's kind of hard to say what he's referencing.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Mylan posted:

How would this lie work anyway? Didn't the entire Order of the Scribble travel around to find and secure all the rifts? Soon should have at least known the general area each rift was located in. It's still gotta be in the desert somewhere. It's not like Soon would have slapped his forehead and said "Oh yeah, that's right, it's in the rainforest" or something.

Or the whole thing is a great big lie, where he's pretending to be distrustful of the Paladins. That way, when someone else comes looking for the gate, having potentially already beaten the paladins there appears to be a plausible reason for why the gate isn't where it's supposed to be.

They get pissed that the distrust between the illusionist and the paladin cost them so much time and leave pissed off at two long-dead adventurers -- leaving behind the real gate hidden by the illusion spells.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Noonsaliwah posted:

Doesn't Mr Scruffy get a lot of bonuses based on being Belkar's animal companion? Since cats are quite a weak animal and Belkar is quite a high level, couldn't these bonuses explain it?

Animal companion doesn't increase the animal's intelligence. It becomes stronger and more agile. Only familiars gain intelligence.

Also, since Belkar is a ranger, the animal companion only advances as 1/2 his ranger level. So, Mr. Scruffy is somewhat stronger, somewhat more durable, and has a few extra combat feats. However, except for a few extra tricks, he's not really any more intelligent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Noonsaliwah posted:

Maybe Roy is just really bad at maths?

He has an MBA. So yeah, probably.

Sefer posted:

Or maybe it's end of the calendar year; New Year's was right before the attack, wasn't it?

Which calendar? Not the one any of the Order uses. It was Azure city's new year. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html