Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl
The fact that I laughed at "Treasure Type O" fills me with deep geek shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

tsob posted:

Care to fill the some of the rest of us in? I don't get it at all :(

I don't think 3E does it like this, but back in the day all of the D&D random treasure tables were organized by "Treasure Type", which were letter-coded. Then you'd have a Monster Manual listing that says that Giant Vampiric Dust Mites have Treasure Types Ax2,F, and G, and when the DM generates treasure for the critter he rolls on those tables and combines all the results.

As for "Treasure Type O", think "showing her my O-face".

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

tsob posted:

Fair enough, someone else can defend her here so, I'm certainly not gonna start that. Most of the defense (of Roy's actions) on 4chan was just name calling, and people completely ignoring lots of points. As much as I like BSS, I expect the same would happen here, at least to a degree, since people seem to really hate her and/or love Roy.

To repeat what I posted in the other thread:

quote:

You're supposed to [hate Miko]. She's the villain you actually hate. Xykon's a pretty cool guy, all things considered, as are Nale's crew, and if they were permanently removed from the picture you'd feel a little sad because they're funny and interesting in their Comedy D&D Evil way. Without Miko the strip doesn't have a villain whose painful death you're actually rooting for; she's the kind of evil you find in the real world, which doesn't dress itself in skulls and cackle madly to itself because it's convinced of its own righteousness.

Roy's reaction to Miko's divine bitchslap is perfectly reasonable, because Miko is a villain. She's been presented as this particular style of villain ("Warhammer 40k Inquisitor") since her very first on-screen kill, and her crazed execution of Shojo was the final nail. It is no more a moral or ethical failure for Roy to go try to take her out, immediately after watching her kill in cold blood the closest thing he had to a mentor at the moment, than it was a failure for him to not try to talk Xykon into coming quietly.

This is D&D. Roy's a hero, and heroes stick pointy mental objects into bad guys. There's probably a class about that in Fighter College. The only way you can complain about Roy's choice of actions given the context is if you want to argue that Miko isn't a villain within the narrative, and given the last 200+ strips I think that's a bit of a reach.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

tsob posted:

I do wish to say though that I think Miko is the least realistic of the villians in the comic.

With this one line you've convinced me that I certainly don't want to have a conversation with you, now or in the future.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't he say at one point that he's a high-level Aristocrat? Unless he has some kind of Chosen of Whoever prestige class, an artifact, or something like that, he's not going to be worth much in combat.

That was Lord Shojo who said he was an Aristocrat, and who was cut in half by psychobitch a few strips ago. The paladin who just got his rear end handed to him but is still alive is Hinjo.

I have no idea who "Shinjo" is but it sounds like it involves fanfic.

Also, go Roy.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Gassire posted:

And people still wonder how OGL nearly destroyed the pnp rpg industry.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl
My prediction:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

SuperKlaus posted:

I, uh, don't quite get it. You think Xykon is going to make an effort to retrieve his crown?

Roy's had that thing around his neck for hundreds of strips and I think it's been commented on once. At this point it's just part of his character design, like his boots. If I were doing the strip, that's how I would get ready to make everybody reading the comic go "oh crap, I forgot about that!" when this always-present but rarely-mentioned item becomes important.

I have no idea how it's going to be important, but my bet is that it's going to turn out to be critical in some manner during this next sequence, and Roy's going to beat himself up for forgetting he had it.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Did anybody else just completely assume that the crown amulet was Xykon's phylactery?

No, not really.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Cowcaster posted:

Why bother putting it in all of those animals if you're going to stick it in an iron chest and bury it :doom:

Next you're going to ask us why the Baba Yaga rides around on a giant mortar & pestle. I don't think you are properly into the spirit of Crazy Russian Magic People.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

The Werle posted:

I don't think the crown has any importance whatsoever. Xyclon doesn't give two shits about the Order, he knows they got in his way last time but he still considers them smalltime. He doesn't even remember Roy's name, much less have a hardon for killing him because Roy took his stupid hat.

I don't think Xykon cares about the crown per se, or the Order, or Roy. But it's the Crown of the Lich King, and this is a D&D world. These sorts of things always have power because it's the how these worlds operate. The spiky-haired anime hero forgives his enemies; the mysterious stranger sweeps the sheltered housewife off her feet; the trophy the hero kept when he destroyed the monstrous evil turns out to be either 1) the secret to saving the world the next time or 2) the way that the evil returns.

It's narrative causality, and I thank my stars that I am not a fictional character.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Vanadium posted:

Does the Monster Manual say anything about how and where lichs regenerate? It has been a while since I read it, but I do not recall it saying anything about possessing a corpse, and Xykon seemed to regenerate his bones out of thin air.

Redcloak had the corpse of a very small humanoid in his pocket, see.

Seriously, though. From the 3.5E Monster Manual: "Unless its phylactery is located and destroyed, a lich reappears 1d10 days after its apparent death."

That's it. No further details. I suppose the DM gets to be as boring or as innovative as he wants.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

The Werle posted:

Simply put, goblins are low level enemies.

3E has no level limits, even on monsters with class levels. There's nothing stopping him from Epic levels purely from a rules perspective. Orcs are low-level enemies too, right, but an Orc that's also a 15/5 fighter/rogue is the sort of bad guy you throw at PCs who think they're too big for their britches.

Plus, there's always that classic "Tucker's Kobolds" story.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Kahrytes posted:

What exactly makes these guys worse than anything else?

The idea is that you don't give your players a straight-up fight like they're used to. Fireballs expand to fill available space (seriously, look up the volume of a stock D&D fireball one of these days, they're loving immense), you have to see who you're shooting at to fire a bow (much less Magic Missle), and shields only protect against one direction at once.

I'm not one of the "evil DM" school, since I don't like killing my players or pissing them off, but I am of the "realistic challenge" school, which means that I would much rather throw a bunch of low-level enemies with a circumstantial advantage after a powerful party than one huge godlike damage sponge.

Two dozen professional soldiers in good gear and with good tactics is, as far as I'm concerned, a much more interesting challenge than some supernatural beastie who's only a problem because he has a lot of hit dice, some sort of area-of-effect attack, and an attitude problem. Turn those humans into kobolds and the situation doesn't change much.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Yeah but the sponge is easier to make and play

This is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Zereth posted:

Not in 3e. I think it just radiates out until it hits something it can't break through. Kinda a shame, since the old way let you do a lot of way more interesting things with it, but it's a LOT easier to deal with.

Yeah, I just checked. A 3E fireball is just a simple 20' radius. But a "first edition" (yes I have an original PB hanging around yes I'm a dork) fireball... in typical Gygax language:

"The burst of a the fireball does not expend a considerable amount of pressure, and the burst will generally conform to the shape of the area in which it occurs, thus covering an area equal to its normal spherical volume. [The area which is covered by the fireball is a total volume of roughly 33,000 cubic feet.]"

Back in the day, it was often amusing to watch magic-users nuke their own parties by setting off fireballs in enclosed areas. There's an offically-published adventure in some old Dungeon issue (god I'm decrepid) that involves an optional "you done hosed up now" fight against about 500 "level 0" cultists inside an underground temple, and it includes a sidebar about "what to do if one of your magic-users is crazy enough to cast fireball in here". Fun times, when you're 15.