Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Leikr Elferston posted:

It's not stupid and it's not rash, she's gone rogue and putting her down is a very good idea. Even without her paladin powers she's still extremly powerful and could do a lot of damage if she isn't contained. it's kinda like if daredevil and moon-knight were talking to the mayor, and moon-knight punched the mayors head in for going soft on littering. What do you think DD is going to do, back off and hope for the best?

I think they were more referring to Roy's vocal jabs at her than anything, but personally I think that's more because it's a comic and 6 panels of people just slashing and grunting is boring, rather than to delve deeply into Roy's psyche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Anyone else unable to connect to the site?

Did you guys melt another one :mad:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sock posted:

I just hope that Miko doesn't go down a "OotS is responsible for everything that's gone wrong, RAAGH MUST KILL THEM" route.

That's too bad, because everything up to this point is building to that outcome :confused:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jonked posted:

And don't forget the dice just 'happening' to come up with high rolls for Miko and low rolls for the Sticks, thanks to the magic of plot points!

Seriously, you can analyze and make spreadsheets and write down specifically what boardgame rules you'd have to bend to get things to work the way they do, but in the end the thing is a comic strip. Sometimes things happen because it is a comic strip, not because they happen in a dungeons and dragons game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

Christ, I'm sorry to all you readers who don't do D&D, I don't mean to go all Trad Games here but talking about the game is fun for me.

I'm ok with people discussing it, like the_steve said it's a D&D based comic! I just get annoyed by the people who think that everything that happens in the comic needs to be completely grounded within the ruleset of a D&D world. It's not the end-all-beat-all reasoning for every itty-bitty thing that happens.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

If he changed it to say "updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday" then he'd probably just end up doing them after midnight again anyway so it'd actually be Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HitTheTargets posted:

I know nothing of the game, but if I had to guess I'd say they based the idea of the phylactery on Koschei the Immortal. An evil wizard from Russian folklore, he hid his soul "inside a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest, which is buried under a green oak tree, which is on the island of Buyan, in the ocean." As long as the needle is okay, he can regenerate.

Why bother putting it in all of those animals if you're going to stick it in an iron chest and bury it :doom:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

Just a coincidence you're seeing. Remember when they met the bandits in the forest Elan says "where'd the sun go?" as arrows rain down on him. I played a card game once with a card called "Blackened Sky" representing tons of arrows being fired. It's all just a way of emphasizing that there's lots of incoming fire.

No, I'm pretty sure there's more than a coincidence to it. At least it's a hell of a lot more likely to be a reference than "shiny metal rear end" to Futurama.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Leikr Elferston posted:

I've heard of them somewhere, I think they were in the MC. Anyway redcloak doens't really need all this plan poo poo if he's powerful enough to whip up a death knight then he may as well just conjure up an apache from some d20 modern sourcebook and strafe the walls with rockets. The delivery was good, but the power level is getting a bit ridiculous.

The first and foremost goal of Order of the Stick is to be an entertaining comic strip. The second goal is to be set within the world and rules of Dungeons and Dragons.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 27, 2007

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Leikr Elferston posted:

I'm not fixating on the rules, but the power these guys has makes a lot of the plot seem arbitary. For instance, who cares if they die? They can come back. Why can the lich blast his way through a dungeon full of angels and yet has to sneak a flanking manuver to take out a castle full of normal humans? What is that super-mega tough shadowy monster even for if they already vastly out-gun their enemies?

I'd be saying the same things in a comc with a bunch of superhumans doing similarly inconsistant poo poo.

Man, you were one of those people who got all upset when the science-fiction-bullshit plot to Y the last man was resolved through science-fiction-bullshit, aren't you?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

greatn posted:

could you link to the strip where she reads the note about her father? I thought he was somewhere other than azure city.

You're right. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Does it make me a cynical person if I predicted this comic almost exactly from the previous one, except his sword ended up impaling him at the end?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fuego Fish posted:

I have no idea why you aren't seeing what I put, which was the symbol for pounds sterling: £.

It's weird, it shows up for me there but in your previous post I just see a bunch of commas and numbers.

Also when's the new comic going up I want it now!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Order of the Stick is two things.

#1: A comic strip
#2: A dungeons and dragons game.

#1 takes priority over #2. It seems like some of you expected him to actually roll dice for each and every paladin he drew inside that room and actually base the story on how that turned out. That's just ludicrous.

He writes the story and works in things based on D&D rules, he doesn't play a D&D game and write a story around it.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 6, 2007

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yeah, the site's been smashed again with the new comic going up. Anyone have a mirror?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the_steve posted:

I think V mentioned having a husband once, waaaay back before they met Miko, but after they had destroyed the first gate.

V mentioned being married. No gender was mentioned, deliberately.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Efreet saiid posted:

Golly, i'm glad that stupid rules discussion is over so we can all talk about wether or not Haley is an evil gay assimar!

Golly, I'm glad you're around to make insightful comments like this one!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

Wait, speaking of Roy, does this mean his corpse just got stampeded by the entire Hobgoblin army?

And maybe a big pink wooly mammoth.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Quarex posted:

OH CRAP! I forgot all about the death knight's defeat at the "hand" of the falling dragon head. Granted, he could have survived, but I admit that was not at all my train of thought.

Huh, that might mean the next strip goes back to ENDGAME for Xykon and the Sapphire Guard.

He had the X's for eyes, he's toast.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What the hell word would you expect them to use instead of "fire"?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Robot Bastard posted:

I can't believe this. People here are actually arguing that you can "fire" an arrow from a bow.

You're right they should be saying "Project arrows from your bows by releasing the strings!" instead so no one gets confused. Screw all that stuff about dialogue and flow and humor.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Miko's gonna murder that paralyzed guy trying to destroy the gate so hard.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So just as an extension of this conversation: During the crusades, were the knights attacking Jerusalem "Lawful Good" or "Chaotic Evil"?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bgaesop posted:

He is making fun of you because the people he's talking about were the original Paladins.

Actually I wasn't making fun of anyone, I thought it was a pretty good example of how concretely defining someone's alignment based on their beliefs is pretty hard to do. Especially in this case because looking at it one way they were knights who thought they were fighting for god's holy purpose, looking at it another way they were bigots who were killing people based on their race and religion.

Also because I actually don't get how these D&D things work anyway.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 8, 2007

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

She could always be blown directly into the Snarl's dimension and then come back out as some kind of Snarl-empowered godkiller thing.

That's a silly thing to say and you're a silly person for having said it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bitch got loving split in half, whoo!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ashcans posted:

Having your players use weird over-species builds only ever really works when you build the setting like that. So they're a mismatched group of goblins/kobolds/minotaurs trying to hold back the evil human empire, or whatever. If people just sub them into regular roles its always retarded.

Maybe some kind of... cow... caster?!?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What if you got a really big tarp, some giant googly eyes, and some red paint, and made up a hot sexy decoy tarrasque to distract it? WHAT THEN?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

My idea is still the best. Once it's busy trying to woo the decoy with flowers and candy you could drop an anvil on it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

But when does it get hit by a blunt object and then maybe pop up and down like an accordion?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

NutShellBill posted:

I have to agree. Without giving spoilers away, I realize why Redcloak still follows him, it's more out of frustration and denial than anything; but they have WAY too many chummy moments, considering what Xykon has done to him.

On the other hand, we don't have access to Redcloak's inner monologue... who knows what he's actually thinking at any given moment? Hopefully, something along the lines of brutal revenge.

The only explanation I can offer is that Redcloak believes so hard in his cause that he puts on a happy face to appease the boss, but you'd think that in nearly 500 strips, we'd get some indication that there is some dissent between them.

Did you just miss this whole past storyline where Redcloak realizes he's become exactly like Xykon and deliberately goes to save all these hobgoblins he was writing off as acceptable casualties?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Affi posted:

Well I mean even if he's a sorceror his attack bonus ought to be pretty okay, just start chucking rocks at them or something.

Also I had a few laughs at Wonderella and I have to agree goblins kick massive amounts of arse.

I've never played a real game of D&D but I've always gotten the feeling the spellcaster classes shoehorn you into a single role pretty hard. Don't wizards and sorcerers not get weapon proficiencies and probably dump their lowest ability in strength?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Piell posted:

1/2 BAB

What's that?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

J.A.B.C. posted:

Isn't there a rule against having anything but a horse as a paladin mount?

Because that would be insanely useful in a sea-based campaign, especially with some of those underwater dungeons and caverns.

Also I'm pretty sure paladins don't summon their mounts from pokeballs WHAT GIVES!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Soylentbits posted:

Man I thought one of you guys would host the comic. Site isn't loading for me.

Edit:

Sorry, it's been a long time since the site has gone down with a new update (for me at least) so it didn't even cross my mind. I'll make sure to do the next one if no one else does.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Aw Belkar got deserted by his best friend :(

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I've always wanted to do this!
:siren:New strip is up!:siren:

Rehosted just in case:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RentACop posted:

I still don't really buy V's going all nutso, the previous strips didn't really give the impression that he was THAT much of a friend to Haley, but I did enjoy him telling Elan to shut the gently caress up and mocking his "You don't know how hard it is to be faithful" thing.

Who says he's worried about Haley he just wants his bestest buddy and sidekick Belkar back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Have Tarquin's legacy accidentally attributed to Nale. Whammo.