Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

they told me how to make this implant
they said it would make a better me of me

Ununnilium posted:

...who says? I always got the impression that "the dark side of the Force" was just a different way of using the same Force, and that only corrupted people would use it.

Anyway, yeah; basically, doing evil things for a good reason is evil, from the D&D viewpoint. From the Book of Exalted Deeds:

"Is it acceptable to tell a small lie in order to prevent a minor catastrophe? A large catastrophe? A world-shattering catastrophe?

In the D&D universe, the fundamental answer is no, an evil act is an evil act no matter what good result it may achieve."

To be fair, that is from a book called "The Book of Exalted Deeds" so there is some bias, I think. For example, the Complete Scoundrel would probably say something completely different. I mean, the very existence of the Gray Guard (a Paladin that CAN do evil deeds for a good cause) proves otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

No, you're not the only one. I've enjoyed them so far. The most recent few have fallen behind in quality a bit, I think, but they're still entertaining, and I like the art in general.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

Oh god yeah that latest Erfworld was a big "DO NOT WANT" moment. I hope this subtext doesn't happen very often because frankly it's an angle I just don't want to know about.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

I mostly enjoy Erfworld too. It seems to me like most of the people in this thread who dislike it are mainly just angry about things it's not trying to be. If you don't like the idea of a Croakamancer, then you probably won't enjoy Erfworld.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

Robot Bastard posted:

Because the "sudden, ironic shift from parody to pathos" is a cheap ploy for sentiment. You can't just say "THIS ARE SERIOUS COMIC NOW" and expect that we're all going to jump on board with you.

One might even say that the "sudden, ironic shift from parody to pathos" was a fantasy/webcomic cliche. Either it's a self-aware parody, or it's an unintentional parody, and either way I think it's funny.

Leikr Elferston posted:

Yeah the only think i'd read for is just to see more of the plot/exposition revealed, but even if I was was willing to wait through al the other poo poo for plot, if would still be a plot about dwagons and ending the turn and the king of the loving bippity boos or something.

I don't tghink the creators are trying for some kind of nega-cliche or anything of the sort. I just think they took a one-joke idea (nerd in the game), attached it to an obnoxiously wierd setting, and ran with it.

Oh happyelf :shobon:

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

Okay these battle scenes are pretty funny but for the love of god just get to the resolution already :gonk:

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

Archyduke posted:

I'd forgotten all about V being separated from everyone else. I wonder if Burlew is going to keep him on his own for long... it might be interesting to see the Order that fractured for a while.

He's a spellcaster. Chances are he'll just pop back in a strip or two.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

Factor_VIII posted:

Invisibility only lasts for a few minutes though. Considering that that was his last spell, I wonder how he'll manage to sneak by the Hongoblin army. Unless of course he has a few scrolls tucked away for emergencies.

Yeah, but when spellcasters say they have "one spell left" what they mean is "one spell left and then a teleport spell when things go south."

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

Kramer posted:

V can't cast teleport. It's Conjuration, his prohibited school.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

Whoops, forgot that :shobon: I didn't remember that whole Transmutation/Conjuration clusterfuck. But yeah, Invisibility ought to get him out as long as he doesn't do anything stupid.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

Fuego Fish posted:

More like an anti-long-boring-discussion-nobody-cares-about stance.

Both are pretty terrible, actually.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

sumosally posted:

All the erfworld discussion is really turning me off to this thread. Is there any chance you guys can make another megathread to discuss it there?

We could rename this thread to "Giant in the Playground Comic Discussion" if you'd like :shobon:

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

In one of the sourcebooks there's a playable ECL-0 race of creepy-looking killer whale/human hybrids. It gets a native ability which gives it iterative bite attacks. This gets real hilarious real fast when you combine it with, say, a character class that can shapeshift into an animal with a bite attack. I combined that race with the Bear Warrior class once and from then on it was just me being an unstoppable force of destruction (especially once I got Improved Grab :keke: )

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

Dr. Ron Paul posted:

Well basically just take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain) and combat reflexes and make sure to have a super high dex score. And, if you have the feats to spare, take combat expertise, improved trip and improved disarm in that order. Anyone who walks through your threatened square will be tripped and attacked, or disarmed completely. If you can be a large size, it gets even more fun.

Unfortunately that doesn't work so well at higher levels because everyone and their brother has Tumble and can just ignore your AoOs. Although, if you can get big enough, you can actually start forcing Tumble checks that people can fail - that wacky crocodile character I was talking about earlier is 15x15 ft and has a 15ft attack range (10ft natural for being huge, 5ft extra for Warshaper which is really quite a stupidly overpowered class), so even rogues can have trouble moving all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

The Werle posted:

No! Roy! Come back to us Roy! Don't go into the light!

THERE'S AN ARROW IN YOUR CROTCH!

If he goes into the light, then he's given up on enforcing the Blood Oath, hasn't he :v: