Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wow. Next payday that's mine. Thanks.

But drat, what to put as the title?

what's a "fenix"?
how thog's pants turn purple?
thog believe he can fly
thog get in touch with inner greenness. and outer grenness too.
thog arrived.
yay! now ice cream!
group hug!

thog brought breadcrumbs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Factor_VIII posted:

What I'm curious about is to see what excuse they'll use to avoid raising that old guy from the dead.

Two words: Zombie Shojo.

If Xykon plays it right, he could take over Sapphire City using an undead Shojo as his puppet, and get to the gate with a minimum of interference. This assumes that nobody outside the four people in the throne room knows or learns that Shojo is dead.

edit: beaten in the time it took to write the post

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I predict that the battle will go badly for the defenders (they're still short a defensive tower and all the nobles are jumping ship). In dire straits, one of the Order (probably Elan again) will find a way to destroy the gate. Those parts of Azure City that aren't levelled in the resultant explosion will be raped thoroughly by Xykon's hordes. Xykon, having lost another gate, says "well gently caress, off to the next gate then". He leaves his hobgoblin horde to their looting and pillaging and trades up to the next challenge-rating minion race.

Miko and the Linear Guild are freed in the battle. Miko sees the gate destroyed again, and just goes further off the deep end. She joins the Guild and goes Blackguard, and immediately starts struggling for dominance with Nale.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Werle posted:

I'm going to lay down some harsh truth here, but its pretty much inescapable.

Redcloak is a goblin. He will never overcome Xykon to be the evil overlord, he'll never upgrade from lackey. D&D's glass ceiling is both firm and opaque, nothing gets through.

Simply put, goblins are low level enemies.
Goblin warriors are low level enemies, sure.

Redcloak fought Miko to a draw. He has at least as many cleric levels as she has paladin levels, if not more.

Character race doesn't matter when you have the PC class levels to be a badass. My group learned this from a group of kobold monks.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Women's Rights? posted:

Yeah, we saw what happened during the bandits story arc what happens when the group tries to function sans Roy. They all kind of wander around with no direction and then gently caress everything up.

I'm betting Rich is saving Roy's ressurection for the 500 panel.

V, Haley, Durkon, and Elan were able to take down Nale's crew without Roy or Belkar helping. That was, like, two days ago in story time. They might be able to hold together to go on whatever ludicrous quest reviving Roy will require.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is that a winged heart tattoo I see on Haley's back? :awesome:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

A thirteenth level cleric can solo it, assuming it takes appropriate prepairation.

You know how some people really hate clerics? This is why.

If I pointed out that some of this poo poo is 3.0 edition rules that got changed in 3.5 (specifically, bow enhancements and arrow enhancements no longer stack, and there's no longer a dice roll in the Cat's Grace spell that can be maximized), would you think less of me?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

My idea is still the best. Once it's busy trying to woo the decoy with flowers and candy you could drop an anvil on it.

It has to be an epic anvil (effective enhancement bonus of at least +6) or the Tarrasque won't even feel it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Talkie Toaster posted:

He's an Elf wizard, so he's got Longbow too. I have no idea how any other race wizard copes with levels 1-2, other than just sitting them out.

As a 1st level wizrd, you stay behind the meatshields and cast magic missile sparingly until you find a wand of the same among random treasure.

Seriously, doesn't V have any wands or scrolls? A wand of fireball should cost pocket change for a 12th level party.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I don't think he'd get that, being a human. I am right that penalty does not apply to humans and to 'favored calss' of other races right?

You're right, a human's "favored class" is the one they have the most levels in. They only suffer XP penalties if they have 3 more more base classes more than 1 level apart.

In a non-RPGA game, the favored class rules never come up outside of a DM's list of "We Are Not Using These Rules".

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

There are far, far worse things that can happen to a soul outside it's body and home plane, Outsiders have plenty of horrific things that they can (and will) do.

At least Eugene hasn't been shoved into the Wall of Atheists that's supposed to be somewhere in the Outlands. Seriously, a wall where souls that don't belong to any god are trapped for eternity.

To be an atheist in a D&D-styled world is to ask for a very Terry Pratchett sort of pain.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

NorgLyle posted:

Unless there's some house rule in play, clerics are only required to share one aspect of their deity's alignment. So if Thor is CG any good or chaotic character could be one of his clerics.

I thought it was "within one step of your god", so that a cleric for a CG god would need to be CG, NG, or CN.

That's assuming the Thor in this world is CG. Durkon has proven to be so lawful it hurts.

Edit: Oh hey, strip #500 is coming up.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 25, 2007

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's entirely possible that not much has happened down below. Elan, V, Durkon, and Hinjo could still be out at sea, staying alive with Create Food & Water spells but slowly succumbing to cabin fever. Haley and Belkar could be living La Vida Insurgent, and they're the ones the most capable of pulling it off. Roy's body probably really stinks by now; maybe Haley has ditched/destroyed it and is hoping to scare up a Resurrection or True Res down the line.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

wodin posted:

The coloring is right, but do the women get all the brains or something? Thog was depicted as being roughly a three-year old who could be pointed in the right direction for things like cake and shininess. Doesn't really fit with her dialogue there

Thog is a Fighter/Barbarian, so Intelligence is going to be his dump stat. INT is more important for Rogues, Ninjas, and other skill-monkey classes. And why are we spoilering this branch of speculation again?

Wonder what Therkla's dump stat is. Charisma? :ninja:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

XkyRauh posted:

Haley is not going to like Therkla. I hope they get to meet.

[Therkla surprises Haley]
T: "Sudden Strike! Hah!"
[Normal initiative begins]
H: "Sneak Attack! Sneak Attack! Sneak Attack!"
T: "Oh yeah, rogues can do that while ninjas can't. I'd forgot." *dies*
E: "Good work, Haley! I wonder who that was."

~ alternately ~

H: "Elan, flank this ninja for me!"
T: "No, my love! Help me flank this hussy!"

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

terminal mehmet posted:

That would be some sexy flanking, if you know what I mean.

B: "Dude, they're asking - begging you to flank them!"
E: "Huh?"
B: "Flank 'em both! Flank 'em 'til they love you!"
V: "You're not helping, Belkar."
B: "Hey, flank you, elf."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
My money is still on Haley playing the insurgent. And Belkar huddling close to Roy's body, hating his life.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

WingsOfSteel posted:

I'd guess that Belkar's guarding Roy's body since he needs to stay within a mile of it at all times and he wants to play it safe, probably killing a few goblins now and then for fun if they get too close.

e: Or he's hanging back in the shadows in case the Resistance needs to be rescued or something.

Belkar'd be pretty useless since he still can't do lethal damage to any living creature within the city, and as far as we know everyone is trapped within the city. So he's either learned how to do subdual damage, he's picking on any undead the resistance finds, or he slowly and peacefully going insane.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

They could very well be wights or any of several other undead, but yeah, probably vamps.

Maybe they're vampire spawn. They seem a little dim and subservient to be full-fledged vamps.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cabbit posted:

And Rebuke/Command Undead, which she'd improve further as an Evil Cleric, is an incredibly useful trick for somebody going the whole Necromancy route-- if only for something Xykon illustrated earler: undead beasties that follow your mental commands are a might bit more useful than ones who follow spoken commands.

Plus, there's the whole bolstering against/reversing the effects of Turn Undead.

She seems to be mostly focused on combat magic, particularly direct-damage spells, and the Mystic Theurge approach gives you a lot of those. Those undead aren't important to her character beyond the whole necrophilia joke.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rehosted for your convenience.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Amused Frog posted:

Please re-host when this happens :(

Here's a rehost.

Just remember to hit the real site later, once the bandwidth-rape goes away. If Rich gets more hits, maybe he'll get more bandwidth.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Classic Assride posted:

Where? I don't read Erfworld, which part is a burn?

"If you can't find a way to cut back on the weepy melodrama, I swear I'll start dropping random pop culture references."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

NutShellBill posted:

Someone else plays L5R?

Cool beans.

The one time I tried to play L5R, we had three people in the group who were new to the game and wanted to play samurai schlock, and two who were hardcore L5R junkies who wanted to stay firmly within the world.

Things didn't go so hot.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
:siren: New comic is up :siren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0534.html

IMJack fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2008

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
It got me to thinking; in this strip, Miko doesn't ping the monster as evil (before it puts her and her horse through the wall). Either it really isn't evil, or Miko (or Burlew) didn't think to Detect Evil on it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

tripwood posted:

The hint about "no ones uses around here uses their real name" makes me think he could be a Mindflayer or a Beholder.

I think it's just another callback to Start of Darkness, how Xykon calls himself that because he wanted a name that started with 'X' and Redcloak calls himself that because Xykon nuked a lizardman for trying to give his full name and convoluted backstory.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cabbit posted:

All of the spells except Utility spells are damage spells.

One of the design philosophies of the new edition was that offensive powers should do damage in addition to whatever their primary effect is, even if it's relatively paltry damage. Take Maze, for example; it does relatively low damage for the level you get it, but at the same time it removes its target from the battle until it manages to escape the maze. You're going to see a little damage added to save-or-die/save-or-suck spells developed in the future, as well.

And yeah, the treatment of wizards and their spellbooks is one of the few complaints I have about the system, what little of it I've seen thus far. A wizard's power is balanced against the other classes, and that's as it should be, but if you don't count rituals, then they do lose a lot of their versatility.

Anyway, for those who hang out here but in Trad Games, there's a 4th edition complain-a-thon going on here. Let's try to drag this thread back to OotS.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I call it 37 strips, because Rich likes to do big plot segues on n-hundreth strips.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cog05 posted:

Does he have kids though? I mean who's going to go and ruin his work when he's gone?

Nah, he'll take the Charles Shultz approach and loop the comic in perpetuity after he passes.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
:siren: New strip :siren:

Mirrored, just in case.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 7, 2008

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

ShadowCatboy posted:

Therkla nooooooo! :cry:

See, from your reaction, I was expecting Therkla to take the comedy honorable suicide option as befitting a pseudo-Japanese fantasy setting. Maybe I've got L5R on my mind.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sick_Boy posted:

That was a bit... too legal from Elan. I expected a more chaotic response.

Being genre-savvy is more important to Elan than being chaotic. The hero can't kill the villain if the villain isn't fighting back, especially if they've surrendered.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

LightWarden posted:

Well, we're likely due for either Elan to start explaining what happened, or a transition to one of the other two groups, be it Roy or Haley.

Well, we're on the cusp of strip #600, so something's gotta happen.

My bet: V runs into that little imp that's still out there, and gets his prophecy fulfilled.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Ultimate Cosmic Power" could count posthumously. If V gets V's-self killed by the imp or its associates, V'll find Roy all that much quicker too.

Sefer posted:

Because "he" is the appropiate English pronoun to use when talking about a person whose gender you don't know.
V needs no puny pronouns!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

I used to read Sluggy. I loved it, until sometime after Bun-Bub's massacre of the holidays.

That's about the point I stopped caring, but thanks to inertia I didn't stop reading until the second or third Harry Potter parody arc. We should be grateful that Rich doesn't run the same extended plot arc into the ground more than once.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Amused Frog posted:

Here's hoping the cleric gets the message through.

My bet is the Sending reaches some other bald dwarf named Durkon.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vanadium posted:

I do not get the passcode bit, he is casting Remove Curse, how does a passcode come into this?

In this strip the cleric says that all Marks of Justice coming out Azure City require a password to break.

Edit to add, I could learn to like Haley's new haircut. Reminds me of Kumatora in Mother 3.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 22, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rehostin'

Click here for the full 717x933 image.