Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Goblins draws every D&D fantasy monster really well...except for goblins. In Goblins, goblins look like bizarre blobby alien mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Guys, wasn't O-Chul just not lying? Like, for real? There's no rules conflict here, Redcloak just didn't want to believe that a bunch of paladins would actually be so honorable/retarded as to follow their oath for so long.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Idran posted:

They're not talking about him saying he's following Soon's oath, they're talking about the made-up location of the gate from the strip just before that.

He didn't make anything up. He told Redcloak the truth: the gate is protected by a ton of illusions and poo poo. Actually, the fact that the answers to riddles guarding it are hidden in the diary is pretty big, but of course Redcloak disregarded it immediately because a human paladin was saying it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Idran posted:

Either he lied about the location of the gate or he lied that he doesn't know anything about where the gate is. They can't both be true.

Where did he say anything about its location? All he said was that it was protected by a maze and some illusions and you needed to answer riddles to get into it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Cuchulain posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo. What an awful, awful, awful class design. I'm so not getting 4e after this.

:ssh: he's pretending there isn't an entire chapter dedicated to noncombat ritual magic that wizards and other casters can load up on without limit

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Cabbit posted:

It seems sort of excessive, and it means you really can't use them at all during any sort of emergency. It bugs me, what can I say?

"Maybe it's not that big a deal that spying on your enemies or opening a long-range magic portal isn't instaneous or free, guys. I'm sorry for whining about it before."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, no, gently caress you. The high end poo poo can be justified taking that long, but the low level stuff can't justify that much effort. Thanks for being a total cock about me trying to keep an off-topic argument from going on by being diplomatic, though, shitheel.

Dude.

Dude.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Jonked posted:

:shh: He was agreeing with you :shh:

Yeah, I think it's fair criticism to say that a 10-minute (100 combat rounds) to cast a teleport spell means you're not going to be depending on it in an emergency... which leaves using it as a really expensive ferry. Kind of reduces the grandeur of magic.

Or, does it reduce the granduer of magic when you teleport by just snapping your fingers instead of carefully inscribing runes into the ground and chanting secret names? The former seems a lot more likely to be taken for granted. And it's not as though there aren't short-range, instant-cast teleports - it's stepping across a continent that takes ceremony.

quote:

It would be a little better if the casting time was reduced as you gained levels, I think. Or if casting times varied, along with gold requirements. Is it really that unbalancing to be able to cast Tensor's Floating Disc after a minute of wand-waving?

I doubt the game would break if you could conjure a floating disk in five minutes or one minute rather than ten. On the other hand, I doubt the game would break if you took ten minutes to conjure a floating disk instead of one. Does it matter? It's floating disc!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Idran posted:

If you're not going to RP out the ritual even slightly, just by describing it in the way you just did even, both equally lack in grandeur, honestly. And if you are, then you can include some of that in the casting of Teleport in 3.5 already. It does have a verbal component, after all.

It's not a matter of description, it's a matter of ease of access. Long and arduous teleportation creates a different-feeling setting than prepared-ahead-of-time but instaneous and free teleportation does, and the same goes for teleportation by way of preset gateways versus teleportation by way of concentrating hard on any destination you please. For instance, the latter allows for those wacky scry-and-scrag lightning teleport raids on enemies while the former does not.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

bgaesop posted:

The big point of having certain spells be rituals instead of regular spells is so that anyone can cast them. Now the Ranger can use Animal Companion if he wants to, the Rogue can use Knock, etc.

So basically what SlimGoodbody said.

That and so they aren't actually more convenient than actual skill. Yes, Knock can replace a rogue...if you're willing to spend ten minutes and 50gp (or whatever it was) per lock. So yeah, if you haven't got one, I guess you're using your Mystic Unlocking Powers, but just by virtue of being a wizard you don't invalidate every other character besides the cleric, druid, and psion.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Fuckin' rangers.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

happyelf posted:

ugh this is probably it, the whole result will be that the writer's favorite character gets a cool new ride

Still sore all those stupid paladins died like the chumps they were, eh?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Hey, Cabbit, how come you're going to bat for 3.5 when this was the extent of your system mastery in it?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 24, 2011

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Listen, if you're as much of a fan of this webcomic as I am you are going to find that link hilarious.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

So I read your post and I noticed that you didn't even try to deny that wizards are far stronger than non-spellcasters, such that there isn't actually a point in even traveling with a non-spellcaster past level ten or so.

I don't get why everyone cares so much about wizards, though, when clerics and druids were even better. I guess they had slightly fewer plot-trivializing spells, but they were even more dangerous in actual fights against monsters.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Yes. Yes there is. It's called playing a 'character'. Is this really so hard of a concept to grasp that some people aren't going to try to make the ultimate murder machine?

I feel like maybe you're affecting extreme stupidity here in order to avoid honestly answering the obvious point I am making.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Oh, it... wasn't an affectation. That's kind of sad!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Have fun dealing with Rakashas!

And the point you evidently missed is that it's trivially easy for a good DM to reign in a wizard and make a rogue/cleric/hell-even-a-fighter useful.

(Also in real D&D players don't get to hit "r" when they run out of spells, you've been playing too much NWN.)

Why would Rakshasas present a problem to a party of spellcasters...? Is this you not knowing anything about the game you're championing again?

You know what's really crazy thing about the adverse reaction you're having to the acknowledgement of the fact that spellcasters dramatically overpower non-spellcasters in older editions of Dungeons and Dragons? Order of the Stick, the comic we are talking about, not only repeatedly and explicitly acknowledges that spellcasters dramatically overshadow non-spellcasters ("Foolish girl, I am a Druid! I have features more powerful than your entire class!") but uses spellcaster supremacy to drive many of its central themes. Like, Roy Greenhilt, the protagonist, chose to be a fighter rather than a wizard despite the obvious superiority of wizards. If this were a 4th edition game (or a Reign game, or a FATE game, or whatever), he would've essentially been making an aesthetic choice, disagreeing with his father over what kind of fighting appeals to him. But by choosing to be a 3.5e fighter instead of a 3.5e wizard, Roy's rendering his defiance of his father much more dramatic and impactful. And throughout the strip we get to see the consequences of Roy's choice - remember what happened when he confronted Xykon on the zombie dragon? What about the time that Varsuuvius got his hands on near-limitless arcane power, and almost used it to literally end the story, except that the villain was better at using near-limitless arcane power.

I mean, poo poo, look at what's happening right now. The protagonists have literally been divided up by tier. The meatbags are stuck down in the mud and dirt of the arena decrementing each other's hitpoints while the two mages soar overhead shooting each other with energy beams.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 31, 2011

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The funniest thing about the monk is that it's supremely fortified against all means of attack... except for just attacking it with a weapon for hitpoint damage.

Just a heads up. I'm not arguing that the wizard isn't the most powerful class (Actually I am, Druid and Cleric are better, but that's not my main point). I'm arguing that, with a good DM and players who aren't actively trying to upstage each other, this isn't a problem. Any wizard that takes a spell like knock, providing the DM imposes a reasonable limit on researchable spells, is a huge douchebag and a wizard who actually prepares it is a huge douchebag with priority issues. Why is this so hard to understand? That spell exists so that a party can feasibly get by without a rogue, but y'all are acting like it's a mandatory spell. Yeah, a wizard is a much bigger deal than the party fighter 98% of the time, but in my experience there's usually a player wants to play a fighter and who's content to sit on the couch, sling some dice, and make a disproportional dent in the group's beer.

Knock is the icing on the cake. It's funny and sad that if a wizard was really trying, he could literally render the rogue useless, do everything the rogue does better. In practice, he doesn't need to, since he's got a rogue there to open locks or some poo poo - so, instead, the wizard (or cleric or druid) just upstage everyone in combat encounters/travel scenes/overcoming environmental obstacles/mystery solving like god intended.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Danhenge posted:

The Rogue is there so that the Wizard isn't forced to take one level in rogue and waste skill points in search and disable device just to disarm traps that he hasn't got a swiss army knife spell to deal with.

There are probably few traps that some combination of Telekinesis and Disintegrate couldn't solve, or Stone to Mud or some other fun transmutations. Or, poo poo, just send in celestial badgers.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Danhenge posted:

a high dc purely mechanical trap made of adamantine enclosed in an antimagic field? presume you didn't pack enough orbs or you're already expecting to fight a gauntlet of golems once you've pass the thrap

edit: wait, you've already probably brought along a bunch of adamantine weapons so you can violent thrust the golems to death, i give up

Welcome to hell. Welcome to hell. Welcome to hell. Welcome to h

A rogue can disable devices an unlimited amount of times a day. Disintegrate and stone to mud are 6th and 5th level spells respectively. Do you understand that spells are limited or are you just being difficult?

Who cares? Replace the rogue with another wizard and when you're done disabling traps you'll still have half a wizard left (assuming you were really wasteful) in the rogue's place, and that's worth ten rogues in an encounter that's actually challenging.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

CarnivorousThing posted:

Wow, it must be really unfun to have to DM for you or play with you.

I hope that the kitty will not die, that would be super depressing.

Yes, I can see how you'd have to convince yourself that that was true. Otherwise you might find yourself forced to acknowledge even a single fact.

True Evil Bob posted:

That was something I both really liked and really disliked about 4e. Aside from access to new rituals, I never really felt like I was getting more powerful at higher levels beyond just hitting for bigger numbers

I've been in a 4e campaign for more than two years now. We started at level 1 and are currently level 18, and I can tell you that my wizard feels like pretty hot poo poo compared to himself even six or seven levels ago. It's true that your accuracy relative to monster defenses doesn't generally increase in 4e, but the sophistication and potency of your powers absolutely does. It's not like you go from Close Burst 1, 1d6 damage, to Close Burst 1, 2d6 damage. You go from Close Burst 1 1d6 damage and slow to Close Burst 5 5d6 damage and immobilized. You haven't lived until you've lured every named enemy in a bossfight within 5 squares of you and then spent an action point to cast Prismatic Beams.

Also, it often happens in our campaign that we face the same enemies we fought a few levels ago... but in, like, three times their usual numbers or something similarly crazy. I can absolutely tell you that if it weren't for the expanding ranges and effects of my party's powers compared to what we used to have we would just be 100% unable to handle like half of what the DM throws at us.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 1, 2011

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

"Unaligned" is a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. Alignments need to be eliminated entirely.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

If it's entertaining I don't care. The stuff like the half-orc ninja arc grated because it was pretty much never funny. But shots at bad feats, "playtesting the grapple rules with your tongue," that is what OOTS used to be made of. If Burlew can keep a little smile on my face it doesn't matter if it takes Elan 100 strips to find Durkon. Humor first.

Though I do want to see this family feud payoff. Something Ferrinus brought up, buried in that tired edition war, was the role of family in OOTS. If we'd like to discuss the strip more deeply than "this was good" or "that was bad" I think family is an excellent place to start. Roy's dad, Haley's dad, Elan's dad and brother, V's family. The first three are all driven by those relationships and the last one's had it come up some too. What's Burlew saying? Dunno what myself but I'm mulling it over. Maybe that as arrogant wizards/paranoid nuts/coldly efficient tyrants the dads represent "bad gamers." Maybe something richer.

I think it's the other way around - he's using D&D to talk about relationship,s not relationships to talk about D&D. I think there are strong parallels between Roy choosing the objectively worse but more personally fulfilling class and, say, someone deciding to become an artist or game designer rather than an accountant or engineer or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Here's the winner of an epic level 3.5e tournament held years ago on these very forums: http://mussel.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/~banana/sheets/Gul%20Banana%20%7C%20Lol-R-SK8.pdf