Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

A cousin is anyone with whom you share a common ancestor. That isn't limiting - that's what kills off all human beings.

Presumably you think it's restricted to first cousins, which is not demonstrated in the text. But the images also do not support this - particularly, look at the third panel in the second, uh, grouping. It appears to be an entire family there being killed, including an older woman and an older man. Unless all but one of those are siblings to a draketooth (and the one who isn't is the parent), it doesn't stop where you're suggesting.

The text even explicitly says that it kills the siblings and cousins of anyone who bore a child with a Draketooth - such people are not ancestors, descendents, siblings, or first cousins to anyone in what you call the second tier. They are 'cousins' to people in the second tier only in the broader sense that they share at least one common ancestor, and again, this is the 'wipe out all life' condition.
I'm pretty sure it requires a solid line of alive direct relatives to jump to, otherwise yes, it'd get out on the first human/dragon relation and then go up the ancestry tree until it hits a common ancestor of every human on the entire planet. And all half-elves and elves. And orcs. And and and and.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Tarquin's wife died because she was a mother to someone in the second tier (a random Draketooth). If she had another child, it would have been a brother or sister to a Draketooth, and would also die. But even then Tarquin would not be killed, because he wouldn't be a blood father to a Draketooth, just mommy's new friend.
However, it WOULD hit Tarquin, becuase if his wife had bore him a kid, it'd hit her, then the kid, then bounce back up and hit him, then go hit Elan and Nale and really, this probably should've killed even more people than it seems to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

Well, it can't require living people all along the chain, or else it couldn't have passed from the black dragon founder through the already-deceased draketooths to the currently-living draketooths.
Well, the dragon was undead at the time, which is different from just-plain-dead. But

wait poo poo. Draketooth himself is the link from the dragons to most of the clan. Well either he's dead around here or it REALLY should've killed everybody.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DrakePegasus posted:

Make very spell backfire instead of fizzle when the caster rolls a 1. Have very, very fun ideas prepared for each spell she knows.

Raise/Create/Turn Undead: Affects caster's own skeleton.

Grease: Covers the caster.

Dominate Person: Caster can only act when given an order by herself, which is impossible. Someone else has to dispel the effect...unless you're in the mood for time travel hijinx!

Prestidigitation: Fuuuuun times.
Most spells in 3.x don't require you to roll poo poo, actually. Just point at where it goes off and then people in it have to roll to not just take the full force of it to the face, unless you chose a spell which doesn't even give them that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, mechanically there's zero difference between having the victim roll a saving throw vs. DC and having the wizard roll a magic version of attack roll vs. AC.
Except that your attack score is generally relatively static, while there were large gaps between your good and bad saves in 3.x, which a canny spellcaster could generally make at least a good guess at and pick a spell which targets their victim's weak save(s).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

greatn posted:

That's not really much less forgiving. If you're negative in 4e you have only a 9% chance of failing three saves in a row, before any saving throw bonuses you might have.
Three total without being healed somehow, and saving throw bonuses are pretty difficult to get other than in temporary fashion from leader powers.

EDIT: And if they can give you one of those they can get you back on your feet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

greatn posted:

Post kobolds.
Okay.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Eh, that's not exactly what happened.

In a nutshell - Jeph created a character, Marigold, who was depicted as a video-game playing shut-in with self-image issues. She quickly became a fairly popular character among the Tumblr crowd, partially (I suspect) because those folks identified with her to some degree. Then Jeph did a comic showing Marigold in a bikini, where it was revealed that there was nothing really wrong with her body at all, aside from being slightly curvy. Some Tumblrites over-reacted to this development, and sent Jeph angry letters and such. Sadly, this turned out to be the straw that broke the camel's back for Jeph, and he stabbed himself in the hand.
Don't forget that he had recently quit smoking cold turkey. And quit drinking not long before that.

Gally posted:

Too every one posting: You are all assholes.
Now i have to post to help fool the next person!
I'll help! :getin:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RickoniX posted:

Weren't they doing something incredibly silly like putting rust monster plushes on their kickstarter?
I believe the kickstarter was in fact specifically for rust monster plush toys.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Special sword-only battle technique and special material on his sword are two reasons for Roy Greenhilt to use his sword instead of an axe; but there is a third, and more important, reason: it's Greenhilt's green-hilted family sword. The one heirloom that made him decide to be a fighter instead of a wizard. When Xykon broke it early in the comic, Roy got angry enough to defeat the lich bare-handed.

He's not going to be using the axe just because it might possibly have a bigger magic bonus (but that's not even sure, Vaarsuvius isn't around to identify the weapon).
Wasn't it like a +5? You can't get better enchantments without epic-level items or straight up "gently caress da rules" artifacts.

jng2058 posted:

It blasts undead with holy energy some of the time.
Yep. +5.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zore posted:

You actually go up to +10 pre-epic, but only 5 enchantments can go to the bog standard +1 accuracy/attack enchantment.

So you could have a +5 Greatsword with +5 worth of other enchantments like Holy Burst (+2 equivalent), Fire (+1 equivalent) etc.
Yeah, but it couldn't be a +6 axe Tarquin left behind, so it wouldn't be better for Roy even discounting feats and stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Colon V posted:

Even the goddamn cat is male.
What makes you say that? I don't think the cat's sex has ever been mentioned. :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

Because his name is Mr. Scruffy.
Never seen kids name cats before it was clear what equipment they had and the name stuck or things like that, I take it? :catstare:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wiegieman posted:

At this point, it probably is. That's why Clerics and Wizards win out.
Clerics more so, since they get access to it the instant it's published while wizards have to manually track it down and add it to their spellbook.

ikanreed posted:

Even lich casters don't have much defense against sunder attempts and grapple checks. A fighter half his level could easily do that.
Depends on if they have the appropriate spells prepared/active or not.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

jng2058 posted:

As you wish. Personally, I'm quite enjoying the 4E sprite comic Will Save World for Gold. It does the best thing you can do with Fourth Edition, especially now that even WotC has abandoned it, which is relentlessly mock it. If Order of the Stick is taking too long to update, you can do worse in getting your D&D in comic form than WSWfG.
Trying to read that hurt my eyes.

This is not hyperbole, trying to make out the black text in the purple boxes literally caused me physical pain.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It is perhaps telling that in Roy's Fantasy Adventure, Belkar dies quickly.
You mean the guy who barely has enough Con to not die from having no Con, and thus has huge, retroactive penalties to all his HP rolls? And thus would fold like a world champion laundry folder if he actually gets hit by, for example, an epic level sorcerer's damage spells?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

This is D&D 3e. The solution to something being immune to (a type of) magic is more magic.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kruller posted:

Is it my turn to say :siren:NEW COMIC:siren: ?
Seeing as the last couple of pages have been talking about how they're doing against the elemental in the very comic you linked... No.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

He's bothering to track ammo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Or he managed to do more than 10 damage pre-DR on a hit or two.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cabbit posted:

I mean, if psions are tier 2, then tier 1 must just be a picture of a wizard stomping on the face of humanity, forever.
No, there's also a Cleric and Druid (and Artificer and Archivist) there stomping away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

I think it's telling that Nale hasn't been healed.
He also asked Nale to walk with him.

You know, while Tarquin was riding his sweet rear end dinosaur.