Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I love OOTS, in fact, I've abandoned my old Achewood avatar in favor of this brand-new one. Let's all hop on the Bandwagon!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The Werle posted:

The only way to learn is to roll a character.

Its time Hermanos. Don't be afraid. Its blissssssssssssss.

One of us! One of us!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gyges posted:

I find it amazing how much of the strip I understand, yet I've never rolled up a character and played D&D. I nerd through osmosis, and playing popular RPGs.

It's really not terribly complicated really, any fantasy cliche or stereotype that there is either comes from or was used by D&D. It's remarkable how much of it has snuck it's way into popular (geek/nerd) culture. If any you are interested in learning more, D&D does make a Basic Set that's sort of board-game like with a less complicated version of the rules. I've never played it myself but I'm told that it is a really good starting point. Or you could get a Player's Handbook and D&D for Dummies.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Wex Major posted:

Woah, I'm pretty sure Blackguards have to be ACTUALLY evil.

To qualify to become a blackguard, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any evil.
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Hide 5 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks.
Feats: Cleave, Improved Sunder, Power Attack.
Special: The character must have made peaceful contact with an evil outsider who was summoned by him or someone else.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yeroc2 posted:

I am going to laugh very hard if that little kick Belkar gave Miko ends up killing her, though that would be a waste of a good reoccuring villian. Unless Xykon somehow brings her back from the dead somehow (though I don't know DnD rules so I have no idea how that would affect her badassness).

Nah, that hit wouldn't do anything beyond further knocking her out since it's just a little non-lethal damage. Xykon certainly could bring her back if she dies, either by having her resurrected (although she would know that it was an evil deity behind it and could refuse) or by raising her as some manner of undead, although that would likely be a sub-optimal choice.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Ununnilium posted:

...drat you for being awesome.

Seriously, the bar has been raised here Goons. This thread has reached a new plateau of nerd awesome.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

shelper posted:

Well, i really don't know much about D&D, but isn't a Bard basically a buffer? (Jump, jump, jump over the pit).
Elan's incompetence aside, if he can buff everybody in earshot, mass sieges with a gigantic army is where he can really shine.

Incompetence aside, of course.

Bards are really more jack-of-all-trades types, they've got buffing powers but they also can do a bit of magic, a bit of rogueing, a bit of fighting, just none of it terribly well. They're by-and-large considered useless unless you have a large enough party. I've always been a fan of them, but they are tough unless you've got the right party configuration.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The Werle posted:

And especially especially not because D&D is awesome :rock:

:dance: And cross-pollenation of nerding is crucial.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

You know, maybe Miko dies in the near future and becomes some kind of undead obsessed with getting revenge on the OOTS. She has the rage.

I'm starting to think that maybe she has a moment of clarity and either sacrifices herself as a hero or surrenders peacefully. This may well be a redemption arc, even with her previous bitch behavior.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

:siren: New strip is up! :siren:

Oh man, Redcloak is in charge of the show now!

rantmo fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 6, 2007

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

maltesh posted:

But... I don't think Xykon appeared in today's strip. I think that's a Skeleton in a robe.

Oh dammit all, I think you're right.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Sock posted:

It's not Xykon. Xykon is drawn with evil :mad: eyes, not round ones. :colbert:

That's not always true as seen here but the necklace he's got is new and since all undead talk in the reverse color word bubbles, it's totally not Xykon.

Also: :zombie: :drac:

rantmo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 6, 2007

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I don't mind elves, I've seen enough settings where they're given interesting enough flavor that I don't think they're beyond redeeming. That said, Elves Cause Cancer

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Goblins is pretty decent, but the artist really needs to decide if he's doing a webcomic or a book, the pace of it is just terrible at times. The characters are interesting enough, the idea is compelling but I just feel like he's being pulled in two different directions with the format and really needs to just pick one and go with it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Badass.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Belkar is Chaotic Evil, there's really no question about it. The two devils were clearly his psychotic CE side and his rational CE side. There are so many varieties of evil in that twisted halfling psyche.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

As a comparison, in a real 3.5 D&D game I ran last summer, one battle took 2 sessions and about 8-10 hours to play through. A group of epic level PCs (22-23rd level) and their cohorts and armies decided to invade the capital city of the mind flayer empire. Yeah. They won, but most of them died and they barely pulled it off. drat epic paladins and their savings throws.

I'm in an Iron Heroes game that's been running since December and we're only 72 hours later in game time than when we started, epic battles can take for loving ever and be completely worth the time. I think Burlew's pacing is phenominal and this is a nice little touch in the midst of the chaos. I do think Durkon often gets short-shrifted though.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

:siren: New strip is up!:siren:

Two daggers ftw.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

You don't get XP for killing enemies per se, you get XP for the encounter you're in. A hobgoblin has a CR of 1/2, so two hobgoblins are a challenge for a single first level PC. Belkar being 10+ level can get through a lot of hobgoblins before they become an appreciable challenge. He'd probably get a smidgen of XP but all-told it's not worth his while, his psychopathic tendancies not withstanding.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Won't the whole party get Quest XP for defending the city, though?

Ultimately, yeah. Were this a proper game, they'd probably get little bits of XP along the way and once the battle is resolved, a good chunk more for having completed the chapter (at least that's how I would structure it). But yeah, since this is the thrust of the entire campaign, everyone's getting XP at the end.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gassire posted:

I would, it's a Deathknight which means at one time he was a paladin himself. He would deserve a chance at redemption.

Yeah, once you're dead and have been reanimated, redemtion is really not in the cards for you.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

You know, in standard D&D rules, I'm pretty sure once a corpse is turned into an undead creature, it makes resurrection impossible, even with a wish spell.

Let's hope Redcloak doesn't get to Roy's corpse first.

There's always the Wish spell, although that does require a 17th level Cleric.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

This only goes to further my love for Durkon, under-used though he is. Even if he's completely wrong, that was the right thing to say and well put.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Maybe he'll become Undying, a Good Aligned Undead most prominently featured in Eberron. He'd be hard-core then. But let's be honest, Roy's not getting a Template, he's either going to be replaced or brought back to life.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gassire posted:

Well to become Undying you need to A. be an Elf and B. be mummified and interred in a sacred ceremony.

In Eberron, yes, well sort of. Anyone can be turned into an Undying, it's just that elves won't turn a non-elf. And there's plenty of time before the ritual needs to be performed, as long as they preserve the body. However the Deathless Template is originally in the Book of Exalted Deeds and so available to anyone.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

BAWRLIN posted:

I am assuming (demanding) that we do. :colbert:

Since Durkon has said outright that he's planning to, I think it's pretty likely.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Even though the discussion on it has started

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP! :siren:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

ZorbaTHut posted:

He mentioned this on the dragon - he's seven levels or more higher than Roy. Isn't Roy supposed to be nearing level 10 by now?

The Order is in the low teen levels, somewhere around 13 if I remember right, so yeah, Roy and the rest of the everyone else are seriously, seriously out-classed at the moment.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Brannock posted:

The Epic Level Handbook was one of the most broken books WotC ever released and I really hope Burlew doesn't start including Epic stuff in OotS.

Well the ELH is a 3.0 book, so it's fairly out-of-date, the 3.5 DMG updated the really important stuff.

clockworkjoe posted:

However, my bigger concern is that Xykon is basically now a Mary Sue character, along the lines of Drizzt and company. Seriously, nothing has gone wrong for him since the dungeon. No challenges and no real conflict. Now, I dread that the only way the OOTS will beat him is through a deus ex machina or some lame loophole in the rules or both. There isn't going to be a 'real' battle between Xykon and ANYONE since he's so drat powerful.

If this were an actual game I'd be more inclined to agree with you. However, since this is a webcomic with a direct and intended narrative, I don't think it's valid. He will be defeated eventually, because that's how all fantasy stories work. When will he be defeated? Either when Burlew decides he's done with the comic or comes up with a villain that's more entertaining. More than that, Xykon is suppposed to be a global threat, if he could have been taken down by a room full of low-level Paladins, well then he wouldn't be much of a threat. And if he had been taken out by a group of NPCs that is both lovely storytelling and lovely DMing.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I like the webcomic where the stick figures do funny things and quip in amusing ways. Who's with me? :dance:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Oh snap! :monocle::haw::holy::awesome: God dammit, Rich Burlew knows how to write a loving twist. I don't think Xykon is going to be defeated in total here, but this is certainly going to be a setback for his bony-rear end.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

greatn posted:

Symbol of insanity is actually permanent, so killing herself may have been out of insanity.

Even if not, based on the pseudo-Japanese culture, seppuku is the only means she could have restored her honor so in a way she is still a martyr. Or if not, one less person in the awesome-martyr-Paladin-army is hardly going to result in much less absolute ownage.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Look, I love talking rules and setting plenty, the problem is that some of the discussions of the rules have really started to overshadow the discussions about the strip, which is the point of the thread. Now I don't mind explaining CR and Templates and little details to the Goons here who don't play and don't have the grasp of the rules when it becomes relevant, I don't even mind a small back and forth about it, but it's gotten to the point where we're writing term-papers on the rules rather than having a fun discussion about one of the most incredible narratives available on the internet.

Let's try and find a happy medium, that's all I'm asking.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Sock posted:

When was it mentioned that Redcloak's job was to lead the goblin people?

Well as a fairly high-level cleric to whoever the god of goblins is in this setting, he's definately got a lot of responsibility to the race/humanoid subtype and since he's the head lackey of the big-bossman, he's the goblin boss.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gassire posted:

She's not actually a rogue! She's a bard with no ranks in perform.

She Sneak Attacks, she's at least a little Rogueish.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Man, I thought the last argument was ridiculous. Are people seriously getting their nerd panties in a twist over "firing" arrows?

It takes all kinds, here on the internet. For my part I know for certain that I fired my composite longbow twice around for four rounds at a game on Sunday.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Trouble Man posted:

Widely agreed to be "to zap" but also "to ping".

I prefer to say "Fox 1" and mimic the sound of a jet fighter firing missiles.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Clerics, while numerically powerful, are really tedious to play. Besides, the whole concept behind divine spells is pretty crazy, even when compared to other D&D stuff.

I like playing Clerics, great armor, powerful spells and the unconditional love of your party is great stuff. The problem is that you get everything at first level and nothing other than new spells (and don't get me wrong the spells are great) the entire rest of your career. I've been trying to think of a way to give Clerics a little more without over-balancing things, I mean why shouldn't they get Scribe Scroll at second or third level and Brew Potion for free at fifth? It's not much but that's the point.

That and Clerics have poo poo PrCs.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

God dammit Miko! gently caress you! Let this lay to rest any questions, that crazy oval office is evil. At this point I'm not even sure she's Lawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

This is why Redcloak can't have nice things.